Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
Apple doesn't make third party apps. If Vudu wants an apple tv app, they will have to make it. Apple only blocks apps that violate its TOA.

Or competes on the revenue side...If it weren't the case, VUDU would have an app for older versions of AppleTV just like Hulu or Netflix.

What you get on an iDevice is just a player and that's all that's needed on AppleTV yet there isn't one.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Or competes on the revenue side...If it weren't the case, VUDU would have an app for older versions of AppleTV just like Hulu or Netflix.

What you get an an iDevice is just a player.

What are you talking about?!?? Hulu and Netflix do compete with iTunes. Every tv show and movie you watch on those services is one less you purchase through iTunes.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
What are you talking about?!?? Hulu and Netflix do compete with iTunes. Every tv show and movie you watch on those services is one less you purchase through iTunes.

They are subscriber services, not the same. Vudu and Amazon let you build a competing ecosystem.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
They are subscriber services, not the same. Vudu and Amazon let you build a competing ecosystem.

Money is money no matter where/how you spend it. Did Vudu or Amazon say Apple rejected their apps? If not then we are all just speculating. It could very well be they do not want to be on Apple TV. BBC ITV famously said they declined making an ATV 3 app. I guess after much consumer complaints they reversed course.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
Money is money no matter where/how you spend it. Did Vudu or Amazon say Apple rejected their apps? If not then we are all just speculating. It could very well be they do not want to be on Apple TV. BBC ITV famously said they declined making an ATV 3 app. I guess after much consumer complaints they reversed course.

LOL, you really don't understand the difference here.

They are available on every other piece of streaming hardware worth its weight, except AppleTV. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to add it up.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
LOL, you really don't understand the difference here.

They are available on every other piece of streaming hardware worth its weight, except AppleTV. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to add it up.

You are making a conclusion based on pure speculation. EVIDENCE..... Please base your conclusion on actual evidence. Find an article quoting Vudu or Amazon saying Apple rejected their desire to create an Apple TV app.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
You are making a conclusion based on pure speculation. EVIDENCE..... Please base your conclusion on actual evidence. Find an article quoting Vudu or Amazon saying Apple rejected their desire to create an Apple TV app.

EVIDENCE: Apps not available on AppleTV, but are available on every other device and most TVs you can buy.

Not sure what else you need to see something this obvious. Never mind Amazons most recent move.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
EVIDENCE: Apps not available on AppleTV, but are available on every other device and most TVs you can buy.

Not sure what else you need to see something this obvious. Never mind Amazons most recent move.

That is not evidence. You making and assumption based on nothing but speculation. If I say: The sky is overcast therefore it is raining. You would say no because there is no evidence it is raining or always rains when it is cloudy.

9512tacoma

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Unless Apple is requiring vudu to enable in app purchases in tvos vudu should just make a library playable app like they do on iPad/iPhone. There will probably be at least 1 UV provider on Apple TV before end of this year. In my opinion it will be flixster but I hope it will be vudu.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
That is not evidence. You making and assumption based on nothing but speculation. If I say: The sky is overcast therefore it is raining. You would say no because there is no evidence it is raining or always rains when it is cloudy.

FACEPALM

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
The AppleTV App Store has been live for one whole day. Give it a bit of time. I'd be shocked if Vudu doesn't have an app by years end. They already have an app for other iOS devices.
Amazon Prime on the other hand, I don't know what to think about them. Amazon seems to be backing down from wanting to publish apps outside of the Fire devices (they have turned their back on Google also). That said, I am confident that Apple would allow the app if Amazon were to make it.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Even if we do get a Vudu app, it won't have the Vudu store. So it means I'll still have to use another device to buy movies. It will be half baked, like most things about the new ATV. Until they change their 30% revenue policy, we'll never get full Vudu or Amazon Prime Video purchasing.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I would rather have an half baked app to access my purchases than nothing at all. Then they can add on their respective stores thru updates.

Come on Prime Video and Vudu!

Reactions: Kurri

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
I would rather have an half baked app to access my purchases than nothing at all. Then they can add on their respective stores thru updates.

Come on Prime Video and Vudu!

I'm not going to disagree, but until there's a full Vudu store and viewer, I'll just continue using my Roku for its pretty decent Vudu app. It's too bad we still need multiple boxes to get all of the content we want, but so be it until they all comes to their senses (not likely).

I understand Apple's desire to make revenue off of its App Stores, but when Vudu can put an app on the Roku, Xbox, or PS4 without the 30% revenue sharing requirement, it doesn't give them much incentive to make one for the Apple TV.

spinningblade

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2015
When purchasing Blu-rays I don't even wanna buy movies with VUDU or Ultra Violet digital versions. That's how much I like having my library Apple only.

If you ever buy any Marvel, Disney, or Pixar movies, then you should definitely buy the disc that comes with an UltraViolet digital copy. Those show up in my VUDU And my iTunes library. A lot of the older blu-rays came with standard-definion ultraviolet digital copies, but iTunes automatically upgraded them to 1080p and now i have 1080p digital copies on both iTunes and VUDU.

spinningblade

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2015
However AirPlay gets around all this does it not anyway??? Just sayin I can watch my Amazon prime air played...

The last time i checked, the VUDU iOS app (as well as web browsers) restricts it's video streams to standard-definition only. Only set-top boxes and game consoles with the VUDU app can stream in HD.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
If you ever buy any Marvel, Disney, or Pixar movies, then you should definitely buy the disc that comes with an UltraViolet digital copy. Those show up in my VUDU And my iTunes library. A lot of the older blu-rays came with standard-definion ultraviolet digital copies, but iTunes automatically upgraded them to 1080p and now i have 1080p digital copies on both iTunes and VUDU.

Disney uses its own DCM that plays fair with everyone. It's genius and unfortunate the rest can't play nice as well. Especially considering the vast majority of digital copies going forward will not be an iTunes digital copy. Most studios are going with UVVU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.