Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Now BBM has voice calls as well as video calls so maybe FaceTime should get voice calls too. FaceTime's video quality is excellent so I would be eager to see similar quality voice calls. I don't want to waste minutes if I can talk over Wi-Fi for free.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Of course we will, but it won’t be called Facetime, obviously. 

It will change everything in terms of the way carrier’s price contracts and handsets, so they will need to be on board.

I think Blackberry has been given the chance to do it because they are a relatively small market now, especially these newer handsets, so they can test the water without making much of an impact.

Similar to when the iTunes music store first went online it was Mac only, again a relatively small number of users, so if it worked out to be detrimental to the music industry the impact wouldn't be severe.

Its definatly coming though, the carriers are probably doing the maths and figuring out how they can squeeze more money out us by doing it.

SAS22

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
i do that all ready, i leave the phone face down so the camera cant see anything

If you press the home button while you're on a video call you can speak with the other person without being seen. That's the closest to "FaceTime voice calls"...

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
If you press the home button while you're on a video call you can speak with the other person without being seen. That's the closest to "FaceTime voice calls"...

What will the other person see in the screen then?

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Why would you want FaceTime voice calls? Just do voice calls instead. FaceTime voice calls makes no sense to me at least.

SAS22

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
Why would you want FaceTime voice calls? Just do voice calls instead. FaceTime voice calls makes no sense to me at least.

FaceTime is free, normal voice calls are not. FaceTime is preinstalled on the phone and other apps which could do this are not. That's what I think!

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Download the free TextFree voice app from Pinger. They give you free phone minutes by watching short advertising video clips. They also give you a real telephone number. Problem solved, now you have free phone calls over your WiFi internet connection.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Download the free TextFree voice app from Pinger. They give you free phone minutes by watching short advertising video clips. They also give you a real telephone number. Problem solved, now you have free phone calls over your WiFi internet connection.

Err no thanks. I want something more elegant.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
I assume Apple's relationship with the carriers won’t allow them to do a voice-only FaceTime setting. I also assume that carriers make more money selling 550 minutes of voice than they do selling the equivalent data.

Then again, Apple managed to get in iMessage, a directly competitor to the ridiculously overpriced SMS... So maybe one day.

(I'd like just general VOIP because cell coverage sucks at my house but the Internet connection is fine.)

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
But if Apple were to release free voice calls what could the carriers do? Stop supporting iPhone? Good luck with that.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Err no thanks. I want something more elegant.
Have you even tried the app? I've been impressed with it for a few years now. Besides working over WiFi it also works over your cell network. Free texting and calls is a huge plus in my book. Plus you can block people from contacting you, unlike with the native app on the iPhone.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I doubt it. Telecoms want to keep that nice base income from minutes packages on their cell plans. Once you have calls and texts going over data or wifi, you won't need voice minutes anymore.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
How about releasing it for Macs and iPads at least. That might point out that its thr carriers stopping Apple and sort of put pressure on the carriers.

albertxp06

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
California
Check out Viber. It's free and there's no minute limit.

Only downside I can think of is the other person also has to have Viber installed.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Check out Viber. It's free and there's no minute limit.

Only downside I can think of is the other person also has to have Viber installed.

So that's like Skype. How is the audio quality compared with FaceTime? I find FaceTime to have significantly better quality than Skype.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
So that's like Skype. How is the audio quality compared with FaceTime? I find FaceTime to have significantly better quality than Skype.

I used Viber with my Bro in Oz (im in the UK so could be any further away) and it was as if he was standing in the same room.

Its only as good as you internet connection though.

As for Apple doing voice over data, I'm sure they want to but it would piss off the carriers.

FotoDirk

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010
Skype has an option to switch the camera on/off. So Apple just has to add this ability to FaceTime. By switching off the camera you will need less bandwidth and this will allow to deliver the voice with better quality or make the call possible when you have a less stable 3G or wifi connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.