Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
FaceTime is free, normal voice calls are not. FaceTime is preinstalled on the phone and other apps which could do this are not. That's what I think!

The phone companies are moving quickly toward unlimited calling -- and texting -- for all contract voice plans and then making their money on data. So this really isn't going to be an issue for much longer. I'm also doubting that you'll be able to get a data-only plan on a device that isn't a tablet.

Ste Nova

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
LL22, UK
The phone companies are moving quickly toward unlimited calling -- and texting -- for all contract voice plans and then making their money on data. So this really isn't going to be an issue for much longer. I'm also doubting that you'll be able to get a data-only plan on a device that isn't a tablet.

i predicted this ages ago, you will get unlimited txts and calls, the package will be priced on the data

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
i predicted this ages ago, you will get unlimited txts and calls, the package will be priced on the data

Very funny. Wireless operators will want to charge for the features that you use on the network too. They've already started planting the seeds for this.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Very funny. Wireless operators will want to charge for the features that you use on the network too. They've already started planting the seeds for this.

In Switzerland, operator Swisscom has launched some interesting packages last year, called "Infinity". You basically get unlimited phone calls, texts and data - and all of them are really flat (no "maximum 10 GB" or similar rules). The only caveat that applies is a fair use policy that allows you to only use it for personal usage (ie. you can't connect your phone to an office PBX or use it as your only Internet connection in a house with 5 people). But you can tether your life away with it. I have friends who actually do BitTorrent download with that and never had an issue. And you can literally stay on the phone all day - it's flat, period.

The price plans are differentiated by bandwidth. The more Internet speed you want, the more you pay. They come in 0.2, 1, 7, 21 or 100 Mbit/s. I currently have the 21 Mbit/s plan and yes, it is expensive, around $130/month. But if 1 or 7 Mbit/s are enough for you, it starts at around $80/month.

With this plan, I never get a bill that exceeds that amount. I even have some roaming minutes and megabytes included for when I'm abroad. And with such plans, people will not be interested in "FaceTime voice calls", it's just not worth the hassle.

Still, as not all carriers have this, of course something akin to FaceTime voice calls is nice to have. I have experimented with Tango and Viber, as well as Skype. Skype is by far the worst (especially because it doesn't support true push notifications, but just lingers in the background sucking battery). Tango and Viber are quite comparable in voice quality (and they're both better than Skype in my opinion), but Viber has a nicer interface. They both use some sort of enhanced (G722?) voice codec, giving that HD-voice like sound.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Of course we will, but it won’t be called Facetime, obviously. 

It will change everything in terms of the way carrier’s price contracts and handsets, so they will need to be on board.

I think Blackberry has been given the chance to do it because they are a relatively small market now, especially these newer handsets, so they can test the water without making much of an impact.

Similar to when the iTunes music store first went online it was Mac only, again a relatively small number of users, so if it worked out to be detrimental to the music industry the impact wouldn't be severe.

Its definatly coming though, the carriers are probably doing the maths and figuring out how they can squeeze more money out us by doing it.

Here in Germany, o2 has announced to completely overhaul all their tariffs, the only difference will be data volume. Voice calls and SMS will be unlimited and included in every tariff, that's the future IMO. Hopefully, it won't take long for other providers to follow suit.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
what features?? apple provide the features, the network provide the connection

Netflix, Facetime, tethering, etc. AT&T/Verizon have already tried to capitalize on features like these. Wait until there are no voice plans. It will be the only way they can make money off data.

PhilMcCracken

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2013
Ohio
Over the past couple of months since I heard AT&T is going to allow FaceTime over their network I kept trying to turn on the feature in settings and it popped up that I had to pay for this feature.

Today I looked at my settings and it's showing up as on. Someone must have pushed the update.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    126.1 KB · Views: 100
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.