Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Be honest, no b.s. simple If the 2020 iPhone only has a Lightning jack and No USB-C will you buy it ?
Yup. I already have previous iPhones and iPads, so plenty of lightning cables around.
Majority of consumers won't care, as they simply use what's included. Most lay people I talk to thinks USB-C cables as Samsung charging cables.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
The latest iPhone I purchased is the first one I've owned that contains wireless charging and since I got a wireless charging pad for it about a month ago I have plugged it in to charge exactly zero times.

So I don't really care what connector the next one comes with I likely wont use it anyway.
[automerge]1575966196[/automerge]
Probably because MagSafe was slow, as it didn't support a high enough amperage. Batteries are growing bigger, and customers keep demanding shorter charging times. USB-C allows for fast, intelligent charging.

The Magsafe 2 adapters went up-to 85 Watts. Apple only just did 97 Watt charger with the 16" but rest assured they could have done that on Magsafe 2 or changed the connector and launched Magsafe 3.

Reactions: Wide opeN

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The Magsafe 2 adapters went up-to 85 Watts. Apple only just did 97 Watt charger with the 16" but rest assured they could have done that on Magsafe 2 or changed the connector and launched Magsafe 3.
If Apple did that, I'm sure the same people will be protesting how Apple is greedy for changing the connector and their older magsafe adapters are no longer compatible. Going USB-C for the laptops imo is a good move considering it's a standard connector for times to come. The loss of the magnetic latch is unfortunate, but considering hardly any PC OEMs did anythi g similar (other than the Surface Pro), it's clear that the lay public don't really care much about it. Going USB-C means the MacBook cna have just a single port to do everything.

Reactions: rMBP2013

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I don't care which connector it is - I wont buy it anyways. I've just picked up the 11 Pro Max and I'm convincing myself not to upgrade the handset every year (I pay outright every year). The cost is just getting beyond my 'comfort zone' now and although I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford a new handset yearly, its the principle of it for me now! I'd rather wait a few years to make it feel more of a larger upgrade.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
If Apple did that, I'm sure the same people will be protesting how Apple is greedy for changing the connector and their older magsafe adapters are no longer compatible. Going USB-C for the laptops imo is a good move considering it's a standard connector for times to come. The loss of the magnetic latch is unfortunate, but considering hardly any PC OEMs did anythi g similar (other than the Surface Pro), it's clear that the lay public don't really care much about it. Going USB-C means the MacBook cna have just a single port to do everything.

I prefer USB-C. I find it very satisfying to plug in with its nice pop. Magsafe was great but I'm not bothered about its demise.

jkingrph

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2012
The faster charge time is not an issue for me, so would prefer to keep the lightnng port . Downside to usb c only is earbuds. I have some rather nice earbuds that are lightning and would have to either replace or want an adapter.

tripleburst

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2018
I've been using lightning for multiple iPhone generations now. Why would it stop me from buying the next iPhone? The "inconvenience" of using multiple cables is first world problem for me.

BuggyGT

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
USB-C would be nice but other factors such as 5G, 90Hz+ screen, etc. are way more important. Keeping lightning jack would not affect my opinion.

Reactions: compwiz1202

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
It would make absolutely no difference in my purchasing. I will say that having an iPad Pro (which I love) with USB-C and a phone with lightning is a PITA when travelling.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
I prefer USBC so I can use the same cable to charge Android and iPhone, and it would be cheaper to buy replacement cable too. Unless Apple come up with something like MFI certified USBC cable just to raise the price.

Just watched EverythingApplePro video, and he's suggesting Apple will skip USBC and go to no ports.

Last edited:

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I have plenty of cables, so no unless they have other substantial upgrades. And I definitely will pass once they go full wireless before wireless gains speed, range and public coverage. Lucky to find wired charging other than a mall or airport around here.
[automerge]1576018755[/automerge]
Lightning cables have never bothered me. Such a strange flex for people to get worked up about.
Yes other than when lightning came out and it took forever for accessories to show. But going to C is no issue since C already exists and L and C can both be inserted either way.

Last edited:

Alex967CW

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2019
I probably won't buy the 2020 iPhone, even if it did have USB-C, because I tend to use my phones for longer than a year. I don't have any USB-C cables in my house, so it would be a hassle to buy new cords. If I had an older phone, I would be willing to buy next year's iPhone if it offers significant improvement over this year's phone. As long as it is a worthy upgrade, I wouldn't mind if it had lightning or USB-C. I would prefer Lightning though, as I don't feel ready to completely switch to USB-C.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
The only USB type c devices I have or has a port is my Nintendo switch , iPad Pro 11 and my Dell G3 laptop. My lightning devices are my soon to be iPhone 11 Pro , AirPods pro and my beats solo pro. With me all the time is my iPhone and my headphones so honestly lightning is preferable.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Be honest, no b.s. simple If the 2020 iPhone only has a Lightning jack and No USB-C will you buy it ?

Yes, hopefully they keep Lightning atleast for a couple more years.

I will not buy it if it has no port at all and if it has USB-C i have to re-consider buying the next iPhone. Usually i am set of buying the new model every 2 - 3 years. I would need to buy extra cables and dongles. I don't have a single USB-C device and no cables for that.

My iPhone is Lightning. My Charging Dock is Lightning. My PC is USB-A. My Wireless Charger is microUSB. My Bluetooth Earbuds are also microUSB. Well microUSB i only need to charge stuff. So i would need dongles and cables (they also have a tendency of breaking / failing).

And a phone with no port? I couldn't do it. I backup my phone with iTunes (and no, i cannot do iTunes Wi-Fi sync). Why no iCloud Backup? I don't want GBs of files uploaded to iCloud over Wi-Fi every night, can't imagine the traffic, takes forever, also to restore + would need to pay for iCloud Storage and i also sync my local music library to my phone. I don't really like Apple Music or Spotify even though i kind of want to try that for a while but it's money i don't need to spend and i live in an area where a fast LTE internet connection isn't always present.

But i understand some that want USB-C, makes sense, if you already have a Mac and an iPad Pro and maybe an Android.

[automerge]1576058846[/automerge]
I can’t imaging why I’d care, what’s the plug for anyway?

Well, you can do backups and also sync your music and other files you may have? See my post above. I prefer a local connection and not the Cloud. Files pushed to the Cloud take forever to upload especially when uploading / restoring backups and photo libraries (i only use the Cloud for documents) and a Cloud-based service may fail.

Last edited:

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
I dont understand the USB-C obsession some people have. How would the iPhone improve by going changing to it? I have a bunch of lightning cables I've collected over the years in my home, car, work etc so Apple changing to USB-C would be a great inconvenience for me as I would have to buy all new cables. Lightning is fine with me.

Reactions: iOS Geek

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Sure! Between my cars and home I have so many lightening cables that I will not be thrilled about a switch. But I am more nervous about the rumor of going completely cordless in 2021 . . .

Reactions: compwiz1202

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
I'd be ****ing pissed if they switch to USB-C.

Last year I got a 2 meter USB-C to Lightning cable to use with my XR. That's $.

I got a new 11 Pro Max this year, and it came with a Lightning cable that I won't be able to use anymore. That's $$.

These cables are all **** and I had to buy a new USB-A cable to use CarPlay in my car. So that's $$$.

But I'd buy one anyway and spend $120 on new cables because I'm sheep anyway.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Sure! Between my cars and home I have so many lightening cables that I will not be thrilled about a switch. But I am more nervous about the rumor of going completely cordless in 2021 . . .
Me too it is definitely a hard pass on wireless only until it is faster, longer range and more widely available in public.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.