Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
Btw, has anyone managed to get Windows 10 installed in Uefi mode with the brightness controls working? I recently managed to get my old mid 2009 13" MBP working almost perfectly with Windows 10 (with keyboard backlight and audio working properly), but I haven't been able to adjust my screen's brightness levels at all.

HerrT

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Success! but no audio

After reading #1100 https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...o-bios-emulation.696523/page-44#post-24292585 at last I could activate the Intel HD 4000 graphics on my MacBook Pro Retina Mid 2012.
1. installed GFXCardStatus 2.44i and set it to Integrated Only.
2. booted from a freshly created Win 10 Pro installation USB stick made with the MediaCreationTool.
I simply deleted the partition with macOS, formated it with NTFS and installed Windows 10 normally.
3. installed all drivers via BootCamp an updated the Nvidia Geforce 650m. To successfully boot up Windows 10 I had to deactivate the other graphic card entry, first showed as basic display device. Later I even could install the Intel HD graphics driver. So both, the 650m and HD4000 are visible in the device manager.

But I can't activate the Audio HD device at all. Please could someone let me know, how I could make it active.
Do I have to use Grub oder rEFInd? Could someone please help me?

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Success! but no audio

After reading #1100 https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...o-bios-emulation.696523/page-44#post-24292585 at last I could activate the Intel HD 4000 graphics on my MacBook Pro Retina Mid 2012.
1. installed GFXCardStatus 2.44i and set it to Integrated Only.
2. booted from a freshly created Win 10 Pro installation USB stick made with the MediaCreationTool.
I simply deleted the partition with macOS, formated it with NTFS and installed Windows 10 normally.
3. installed all drivers via BootCamp an updated the Nvidia Geforce 650m. To successfully boot up Windows 10 I had to deactivate the other graphic card entry, first showed as basic display device. Later I even could install the Intel HD graphics driver. So both, the 650m and HD4000 are visible in the device manager.

But I can't activate the Audio HD device at all. Please could someone let me know, how I could make it active.
Do I have to use Grub oder rEFInd? Could someone please help me?

FWIW, Audio is one of the most common issues installing Windows in EFI mode on machines prior to the first MacBook Air's that supported EFI in boot camp. If you did get it installed, you could not get Windows to accept any Audio drivers to enable sound.

Core 2 Duo

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2018
Las Vegas
I know an easy way to install Windows 7 64 Bit on the Core 2 duo's but you have to access the drive you want to install it on either by removing the drive and connecting to another computer running Windows OS, Or through target disk mode and connected to another computer running Windows OS...

HerrT

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
FWIW, Audio is one of the most common issues installing Windows in EFI mode on machines prior to the first MacBook Air's that supported EFI in boot camp. If you did get it installed, you could not get Windows to accept any Audio drivers to enable sound.

Oh yeh, I recognized that. But it should be possible to use an external sound card to get sound, shouldn't it? But, what is with the sound over HDMI? HDMI can't get sound from the external sound card, or? Damm, why Apple does such a stupid implementation. Does it make any sense to deactive the internal chipset graphics?

Would be great to see a fully working UEFI on older Macs. Clover could do the trick, but AFAIK it destroys the content of an internal SMC or EFI chip. So I wouldn't try to install Clover an a real mac.

HerrT

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Okay, your MacBook Pro has only a discrete graphics card. So it's nearly clear, that nothing will be disabled when installed in native EFI mode. In my MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 and my former MacBook Pro 17" Mid 2009 are 2 graphics component - a internal and a discrete. Under BootCamp the internal chipset graphics is always disabled. As I described in Post #1102 I was able to activate both graphics components, but this disables the sound completetly.

Last edited:

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
I haven’t tried this in a while on the Mac Pro 5,1. I know some were able to get it to work using a chain loading method, but I never could get video. I may try this using DISM to integrate the drivers from the Apple BootCamp drivers and from nVidia for the GTX980Ti and see what happens if I apply the WIM from a WinPE drive based on Windows 10 Enterprise 1709.

Jultsu

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2018
Lord have mercy this thread is still going! :p

Anyway, I just registered on the forum so I could post this and hopefully help someone who is stuck in my case. I figured this out earlier last year but never got around to posting it. I have no idea if I'm actually too late to post this because I didn't bother to scroll through the 30-or-so pages that weren't there last time I was on this thread ;)

I've figured out how to switch and enable/disable the graphics card on the MacBook5,1 (9400+9600) in the rEFIt EFI shell itself.

This applies to Windows 7 only, as I have not tested Windows 8 on mine (and frankly, screw Win8 XD)

This will allow you to use either the 9400M and disable the 9600M GT in Windows, thus saving power, OR, enable BOTH the GPUs and have whatever Windows software you want utilizing them both. NOTE: you still can't switch actual displays on the fly, but applications can take advantage o both graphics cards at once. Yes, I know some of you are probably concerned about overheating, but trust me, it's not an issue. This laptop is so well engineered that I've never seen the temps rise to a critical level. Obviously, make sure it have proper ventilation, etc...

This is all the documentation I have written down for myself, hope you guys find it useful.

Documentation:

PCI Device 02 00 00 <- Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT (also device E5)
PCI Device 03 00 00 <- Nvidia GeForce 9400M (also device E7)

#### How to switch between GPUs ####
User dmpstore gpu-power-prefs to check with GPU has power
dmpstore gpu-power-prefs -s fs0:\gpu-power-prefs #store the existing setting on the EFI partition

#edit the GPU power setting to power on the card that will be the display output
hexedit gpu-power-prefs
00 00 00 00 corresponds to discrete GPU
01 00 00 00 corresponds to integrated GPU

Reset NVRAM if you screw something up

REBOOT AFTER CHANGING
and check dh e5 or dh e7. Don't set the gpu-power-prefs and try to boot directly into Windows, it won't work.

After rebooting, you need to set the VGA controller for Windows to use when displaying output:

NOTE: DO NOT ENABLE BOTH VGA CONTROLLERS AT THE SAME TIME. Windows won't boot. Windows prefers that only one VGA controller is in charge of video output.

To power on the 9600:
mm 0750 -IO 3

Conversely, to power it off:
mm 0750 -IO 0

To set its bus master and enable VGA for the 9600

mm 000C003E -PCI 8
Setting register 3E to 8 enables VGA on the PCI bridge for the 9600 is 00 0C 00 that bridge (0C)

mm 02000004 -PCI 7
Setting register 04 on bus 02 device 00 to 7 enables bus master and activates the 9600

Boot Windows with fs2:EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI (change fs2 to your drive number)

Enable VGA on the 9400:

mm 0010003E -PCI 8
Set register 3E on bus 00 device 10 (PCI bridge for integrated graphics) to 8 to enable VGA

mm 03000004 -PCI 7
Set register 04 on bus 03 (9400 bus) to 7 to enable bus master and activate the 9400.

Setting register 3E to 8 on either device 0C (discrete)
or device 10 (integrated) will enable VGA for that respective
GPU. Setting register 04 on either bus 02 or bus 03 will
enable the corresponding GPU. Power off the 9600 (mm 0750 -IO 0)
to save juice when using the 9400.

You can check the values for the buses/devices using:

pci -i 00 0C 00 -b (the PCI-X bridge)

pci -i 00 10 00 -b (the PCI integrated bridge)

dh e5 -b (the discrete 9600 device)

dh e7 -b (the integrated 9400)

pci -i 02 00 00 -b (for the discrete gpu)

pci -i 03 00 00 -b (for the integrated gpu)

Hope this helps, sorry again if I'm late and someone has already figured this out. Cheers!~

So, I just had to register to the forum to give a big thumbs up to this guy for posting the code snippets and to give some advice of my own.

I just recently acquired a 17" Macbook Pro (Early 2009) with Nvidia 9400M / 9600M GT graphics. On the primary HDD I installed the newest 10.14. macOS Mojave (using the dosdude1 patch) and on the secondary HDD (which replaced the ODD) I installed a vanilla Win10 x64 1809, using uEFI.

I spent all day yesterday and half of today trying to get both of these graphics adapters to show up and work in windows, one at a time of course.

It found out that while I do still need to pass the arguments in an EFI Shell to enable one of these card + bridge combinations, I also had to change the graphics adapter in macOS under the "Energy Saver" option!

So, if I wanted to use only the integrated 9400M, I'd first boot into macOS, go to settings, select from Energy Saver "Better battery life", reboot, boot to uEFI shell, pass the arguments (mm 0750 -IO 0, mm 0010003E -PCI 8, mm 03000004 -PCI 7) and I'd be looking at an idle consumption of 27W and a 42-53W consumption while running Heaven benchmark, at full brightness.

Then, if I wanted to run the discrete 9600M GT, I'd pop back into macOS again, select "Better graphical performance", reboot, go to uEFI, type in the 9600M stuff (mm 0750 -IO 3, mm 000C003E -PCI 8, mm 02000004 -PCI 7) and the power draws would be 34W at desktop and between 62-72W running Heaven.

The processor (T9550 in my case) actually started throttling after about 20 minutes with the 9600M GT, locking itself to the lowest 6x multiplier. You can disable this kind of behaviour of course with Throttlestop, but what I ended up doing with it was undervolting the CPU. I also have MSI Afterburner installed, we'll see how much of an improvement overclocking the GPU makes..

I had no other issues with any other drivers with this uEFI installation, I used the latest recommended Boot Camp driver pack (4.0.4033) but for the nVidia drivers I had to manually extract the latest supported package (342.01) and force the "Basic Microsoft Display Adapter" to use the respective drivers by pointing to the extracted .inf files. I couldn't get the installer to run but the .inf files are all that's needed anyways..

Like before, hope this helps again somebody else who is having a hard time!

Tsuna1995

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2018
So, I just had to register to the forum to give a big thumbs up to this guy for posting the code snippets and to give some advice of my own.

I just recently acquired a 17" Macbook Pro (Early 2009) with Nvidia 9400M / 9600M GT graphics. On the primary HDD I installed the newest 10.14. macOS Mojave (using the dosdude1 patch) and on the secondary HDD (which replaced the ODD) I installed a vanilla Win10 x64 1809, using uEFI.

I spent all day yesterday and half of today trying to get both of these graphics adapters to show up and work in windows, one at a time of course.

It found out that while I do still need to pass the arguments in an EFI Shell to enable one of these card + bridge combinations, I also had to change the graphics adapter in macOS under the "Energy Saver" option!

So, if I wanted to use only the integrated 9400M, I'd first boot into macOS, go to settings, select from Energy Saver "Better battery life", reboot, boot to uEFI shell, pass the arguments (mm 0750 -IO 0, mm 0010003E -PCI 8, mm 03000004 -PCI 7) and I'd be looking at an idle consumption of 27W and a 42-53W consumption while running Heaven benchmark, at full brightness.

Then, if I wanted to run the discrete 9600M GT, I'd pop back into macOS again, select "Better graphical performance", reboot, go to uEFI, type in the 9600M stuff (mm 0750 -IO 3, mm 000C003E -PCI 8, mm 02000004 -PCI 7) and the power draws would be 34W at desktop and between 62-72W running Heaven.

The processor (T9550 in my case) actually started throttling after about 20 minutes with the 9600M GT, locking itself to the lowest 6x multiplier. You can disable this kind of behaviour of course with Throttlestop, but what I ended up doing with it was undervolting the CPU. I also have MSI Afterburner installed, we'll see how much of an improvement overclocking the GPU makes..

I had no other issues with any other drivers with this uEFI installation, I used the latest recommended Boot Camp driver pack (4.0.4033) but for the nVidia drivers I had to manually extract the latest supported package (342.01) and force the "Basic Microsoft Display Adapter" to use the respective drivers by pointing to the extracted .inf files. I couldn't get the installer to run but the .inf files are all that's needed anyways..

How did you install windows? Cause when i tried booting to the installation on mine it was stuck at a black screen when using efi mode.

Jultsu

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2018
How did you install windows? Cause when i tried booting to the installation on mine it was stuck at a black screen when using efi mode.

W10 x64 1809 .iso, used Rufus (in w10 x64) to make native EFI installer, did smc and pram resets to the mac.

nicklite97

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2018

I just registered to respond to you. Thanks for the help I also got my 17" Mid 2009 to work but is there a better way to boot with only the 9400M ? I hate to type this into the shell all the time. Thank you

Jultsu

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2018
Managed to get windows to boot but still stuck at black screen for some reason. The audio port has red light tho.

First do a PRAM reset, then boot to macOS, then select your desired GPU, reboot to EFI shell, do the scripts and start windows from there. This works for me 100%. So in addition to the above tips I discovered that if I want to change the GPU I do have to do the PRAM reset every time as well.

Jultsu

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2018
I just registered to respond to you. Thanks for the help I also got my 17" Mid 2009 to work but is there a better way to boot with only the 9400M ? I hate to type this into the shell all the time. Thank you

I believe if you do nothing at all in the EFI shell then you will boot with the 9400M as primary GPU (if you also have the 9400M selected in macOS as well).

Just manually make the "Microsoft basic display adapter" use the 9400M drivers.

nicklite97

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2018
I believe if you do nothing at all in the EFI shell then you will boot with the 9400M as primary GPU (if you also have the 9400M selected in macOS as well).

Just manually make the "Microsoft basic display adapter" use the 9400M drivers.
When I do that I get two graphics cards when I install the 9400M drivers the MacBook gets a black screen and reboots. It only works perfectly when I put in the commands

kaidelorenzo

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2018
If you have a C2D P7350 processor then it probably doesn't even support 64bit operating systems, at least here are only 32bit versions of windows mentioned: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...inch-aluminum-early-2009-education-specs.html

It definitely supports 64bit because the efi and processor both support it (plus macos and Linux can both run as 64bit). I think the only reason boot camp is restricted to 32bit is because of the implementation of the bios emulation compatibility mode of the firmware and the structure of the 64bit windows install dvds, and that should have nothing to do with efi booting anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.