Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I just finished installing the 1903 update on 3 machines; 2 PCs and my 5,1 Mac Pro. The 2 PCs installed without problems. The Mac Pro on the other hand, BSOD's within seconds of getting to the desktop with "WDF_violation". I rolled it back to 1809 and its working again.
I am thinking this is because I have AHCI enabled, instead of the forced IDE mode. Has anyone else encountered this? I will probably have to go back to IDE mode, upgrade and then go back to AHCI if I want to.

jpr281

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2019
I got the same WDF Violation BSOD message after every startup (about 10 seconds after getting to the desktop) as you when I upgraded to 1903 earlier today. I also had to revert back to 1809, where I've had no problems.

WDF usually means a driver issue, and I'm thinking it's a Boot Camp related issue because the same time I kept getting the BSOD is the same time that the Boot Camp Assistant taskbar icon would normally appear. Just a guess.

MBP 8,1 (Early 2011) running 10.14.3

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I got the same WDF Violation BSOD message after every startup (about 10 seconds after getting to the desktop) as you when I upgraded to 1903 earlier today. I also had to revert back to 1809, where I've had no problems.

WDF usually means a driver issue, and I'm thinking it's a Boot Camp related issue because the same time I kept getting the BSOD is the same time that the Boot Camp Assistant taskbar icon would normally appear. Just a guess.

MBP 8,1 (Early 2011) running 10.14.3
Hmm. And you are not using AHCI mode? I have boot camp installed but I am using drivers from intel, and nvidia respectively for the GPU. I actually plan to uninstall bootcamp anyways as it doesn't work with my APFS drive anyways, I use just the startup control panel for iMacPro 1,1.

JoshCalvetti

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
I've got the same issue; also rolled back. I don't have the AHCI stuff enabled (that I know of) so I think it must be just the old version of Boot Camp. What's all this about the startup control panel from the iMac Pro? I don't need boot camp at this point either, except to switch boot drives.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I have just uninstalled bootcamp, and every apple provided driver that I could find which was just Bluetooth. As I type this I'm downloading 1903 again and I'll post results.
I've got the same issue; also rolled back. I don't have the AHCI stuff enabled (that I know of) so I think it must be just the old version of Boot Camp. What's all this about the startup control panel from the iMac Pro? I don't need boot camp at this point either, except to switch boot drives.
The iMac Pro bootcamp software is the only one that supports APFS drives. Selecting an APFS drive containing Mac OS on anything else will just keep booting to Windows (thats if it sees any other drives at all). And it seems that my NVMe broke the option boot selector so I have to use the startup control panel. It doesn't need to be installed, I just downloaded it from brigadier and I open the control panel from the folder directly. If you don't use APFS or you have a working option boot selector this is unnecessary.

JoshCalvetti

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm just wondering if the iMac Pro install would actually work with 1903- I'm not using APFS because it's been clunky on my work iMac, but if it fixes the error, I'll do it.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I'm just wondering if the iMac Pro install would actually work with 1903- I'm not using APFS because it's been clunky on my work iMac, but if it fixes the error, I'll do it.
Again I'm not actually installing the iMac Pro bootcamp software. Simply downloading it, and extracting it.
In the screen shot I have attached there is the extracted iMac Pro bootcamp software that I've just placed in my documents folder, and created a shortcut on my desktop. Its as simple as that. All I use it for is to boot back into Mac OS.
[doublepost=1558663964][/doublepost]So it just finished installing. So far so good, no BSOD. Looks like I'm still in AHCI mode as well. Bootcamp was the problem.

I also decided to install the iMacPro1,1 software to see if it would work. It does. So the BSOD only happens on bootcamp 4 (and 5?). Again though, if you don't need to install bootcamp I would not install it. Its horribly buggy and it doesn't have any drivers that you can't just get elsewhere (if Windows doesn't install them as it should automatically).

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-05-23 182953.jpg
    Annotation 2019-05-23 182953.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:

jpr281

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2019
I went back to 1903, entered Safe Mode and uninstalled Boot Camp Services, then restarted into Windows and I haven't had a BSOD crash yet. The only thing is my MBP keyboard won't light up and the function keys only work as real function keys (F1-F12) and not feature keys (e.g. volume and screen controls).

Reactions: bedouin

Woof Woof

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2004
If I recall, bootcamp was split up into several different DLLs, curious if removing them one by one might narrow down which one is crashing (or if it is the actual taskbar item itself) and maybe retain some of the functions like the startup disk selector.

I know I had to remove the HFS DLLs in the past, because they would intermittently cause Win 7 to BSOD in the middle of the night.

JoshCalvetti

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Glad to hear that fixes it! I have Boot Camp 5.1 at present, so yes it's definitely broken there as well.

I’m wondering if maybe we can install just the keyboard driver- that’s pretty much the only one I miss in my install.

--- EDIT ---

Hey, that seemed to do the trick! Boots just fine now. Buuut, now I've got another problem- If I open the boot camp control panel from either the old (uninstalled) version of Boot Camp, or try the one from the iMac Pro, I can't actually switch boot drives; it just says I don't have the privileges to do so. I have tried running as an admin, but that doesn't seem to do anything. Any tips?

Last edited:

bedouin

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
1903 never showed up in my Windows Update Settings, so I updated using Update Assistant instead. I had a crash on login as well, and the WDF_Violation error appeared. I’m using Bootcamp 5.1 on a mid-2010 iMac.

Maybe 1903 never showed up in WUS because MS is holding it back owing to known issues with Bootcamp? I don’t think I’ll try the update again until it appears in WUS. If the crash still occurs I’ll disable Bootcamp services, since I switch between MacOS and Windows at boot time and not with the startup disk selector.

JoshCalvetti

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Again I'm not actually installing the iMac Pro bootcamp software. Simply downloading it, and extracting it.

I tried reinstalling Boot Camp 5.x - which of course spat me back into the BSOD as expected. But even with that control panel, I cannot actually pick the macOS harddrive. I've downloaded the iMac Pro drivers as well and tried both installing and just running the control panel by itself, but I get the message about not having the correct permissions no matter what. Have you seen this one anywhere?

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I tried reinstalling Boot Camp 5.x - which of course spat me back into the BSOD as expected. But even with that control panel, I cannot actually pick the macOS harddrive. I've downloaded the iMac Pro drivers as well and tried both installing and just running the control panel by itself, but I get the message about not having the correct permissions no matter what. Have you seen this one anywhere?
I ran into that too. I had to install the iMac Pro software.. I guess the fact I had bootcamp 5 still installed was why the iMacPro control panel was working.

Installing it gives me a fully working 1903 install

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
That's so strange, I've tried installing the iMac Pro stuff and while it seems to install properly, it still refuses to work for me.
How did you install it? I used Orca to edit the BootCamp.msi to allow it to install from the .msi file, instead of the main .exe file it tells you to use.

JoshCalvetti

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
unfortunately something must have really just broken during my install. I can see the mac partitions just fine, it just refuses to switch to them. I've installed the iMac Pro package, but it just doesn't seem to matter.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Got it to work w/ the touchbar functional. But you will probably have to redo your bootcamp partition and reinstall windows,

If you are good to do that, just download the new windows 10 ISO w/ 1903 built in and start the bootcamp setup in Mac OS.

A.C

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
Had the same WDF_VIOLATION error code and BSOD after updating my 5,1 Mac Pro to 1903. I could not boot into safe mode for the life of me. No tip or trick worked. I was however able to use

https://www.paragon-drivers.com/en/ntfsmac/

to change the MacHALDriver.sys file extension to a *.bat file while inside MacOS. Easy no fuss no muss. Back in business. And the app has a free 10 day trial, so I am not out any money (yet). Seems like a good utility to have on hand and probably worth the $20.

silvermacpro

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2017
I have BSOD WDF_VIOLATION too after install Win 10 build 1903 on my Mac Pro 5.1 mid 2010(Boot Camp 5.1)! Help me i beg in all of us please:(
I have a one idea replace this file MacHAL Driver.sys in Win 10 build 1903, booting to the safe mode(F4)! That idea i sow hea, from that user: https://virtuallyfun.com/wordpress/2019/05/26/wdf_violation-on-apple-macintosh/ his name is Gerlin Miguel Nolasco Hernandez

VERY IMPORTANT, VERY IMPORTANT, VERY IMPORTANT!!!! If i replace MacHALDriver.sys in that directory C:/Windows/System32/drivers/MacHAL Driver.sys on a new one of them, from that user my system is will damage?

Reactions: Sko

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I can’t get 1903 installed on my 2017 MBP. The installation gets to about 48% then freezes and restarts with a message saying ‘undoing changes’ and it simply reverts back to the previous version.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I have BSOD WDF_VIOLATION too after install Win 10 build 1903 on my Mac Pro 5.1 mid 2010(Boot Camp 5.1)! Help me i beg in all of us please:(
I have a one idea replace this file MacHAL Driver.sys in Win 10 build 1903, booting to the safe mode(F4)! That idea i sow hea, from that user: https://virtuallyfun.com/wordpress/2019/05/26/wdf_violation-on-apple-macintosh/ his name is Gerlin Miguel Nolasco Hernandez

VERY IMPORTANT, VERY IMPORTANT, VERY IMPORTANT!!!! If i replace MacHALDriver.sys in that directory C:/Windows/System32/drivers/MacHAL Driver.sys on a new one of them, from that user my system is will damage?
The fix for me was to uninstall the present bootcamp software in 1809, then proceed with the update, and it will work. You can then install the iMacPro bootcamp support software if you require it.
I can’t get 1903 installed on my 2017 MBP. The installation gets to about 48% then freezes and restarts with a message saying ‘undoing changes’ and it simply reverts back to the previous version.
This sounds more likely to be a Windows related problem. I do not have a Mac that new. I haven't had this happen before, but a quick google search lead me here. This isn't exactly your issue, as it doesn't pertain to the 1903 upgrade but rather failed windows updates in general.

silvermacpro

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2017
The fix for me was to uninstall the present bootcamp software in 1809, then proceed with the update, and it will work. You can then install the iMacPro bootcamp support software if you require it.
Unfortunately i can't, because i already installed 1903 on my MacPro mid 2010 :( If I replace the MacHALDriver.sys file in this C: / Windows / System32 / drivers / MacHAL Driver.sys directory with a new one, from that user on this web site: https://virtuallyfun.com/wordpress/2019/05/26/wdf_violation-on-apple-macintosh/ (his name is Gerlin Miguel Nolasco Hernandezdamage) maybe can my system destroyed or not ?

P.S> Download the new MacHAL Driver.sys file you can hea(guy name Gerlin Miguel Nolasco Hernandezdamage): I beg in you please test if you can on some MacPro mid 2010 PLEASE. I can risk and because i have a lot of very important data on my Windows 10 partion. https://mega.nz/#!TrIhmQqA!bPX5u934PCjRHq5TOcpwiPHOV_sMIrUeKGUDVo37pTY

Last edited:

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Strange. Not sure why my 1903 installation went smoothly while others don’t. Not sure if it matters but I have a mid 2017 13 inch TB MBP with 512 SSD.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.