Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Windows 10 May 2019 Update review: Simple changes make Microsoft's OS run smoother

Not much to talk about, it seems a rather minor update, but hopefully it avoids the issues that had befallen the April update
Known as the Windows 10 May 2019 Update, this latest release from Microsoft is in no way a huge update, just like the previous ones before it. Upon upgrading, you'll likely notice very little has changed on the surface, and that's by design. Microsoft is not trying to force significant changes onto users, instead opting for more subtle updates that change things over time. Some of these changes are good, some not so much.

upload_2019-5-4_6-50-30.png

Queen6

macrumors G4
I'll let it DL on the roll out, everything is backed up so nothing to loose.

Seems to tweak rather than add. Some productivity improvements which I'm fine with. For me W10 updates have never presented any issue to date.

Overall I think Microsoft is doing a decent job with W10. The OS isn't perfect mind, equally it's not presenting any issue for me and keeps out of the way while working.

My major complaint being same as macOS; I only want the core OS to be installed, the rest should be available via the respective stores. As first thing I do with a Mac or Windows OEM is uninstall what I don't want...

Q-6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I believe there are some tweaks to the command shell so I'll be looking forward to the update

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I DL'ed it last night off the Insider Release Preview. I liked the light them, never was a "dark mode" fan. Everything too dark and dreary. I prefer a light an open look. But sure enough, as the bullet points state, Cortana and People don't support light them. Hopefully, that gets addressed, not that I use Cortana much.

They say Cortana/Search split is horrible, I say it is better. Maybe because I am not much of a Cortana fan?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I'm not a dark mode fan, in theory, but in all honesty I'm enjoying window's 10 implementation. I've been running the dark mode theme for a little while and its enjoyable.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I'm not a dark mode fan, in theory, but in all honesty I'm enjoying window's 10 implementation. I've been running the dark mode theme for a little while and its enjoyable.

I run it on my iPhone X, because the dark mode will improve battery life, at least marginally. Otherwise I just prefer looking at a lighter display. I will try the light mode for a bit and see how it ages :)

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I always hated light themes, especially on forums like macrumors. I remember the old days of phpBB and SMF forums, when 99% of forums had just light themes installed. Always hated that.

I love how MacOS implemented dark theme. Windows implementation of it is rather bad, while Linux had dark themes for ever, and with customization of linux, well, their darker (and lighter) themes are way better then anyones else. IMHO of course :)

As far as May update goes, I will delay it for as long as I can. I have everything set up like I like it, and I have no intentions on ruining it with possibility of another lousy update. I will let you guys be beta testers, I will join up eventually :p

Reactions: BigMcGuire

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Windows 10 May 2019 Update review: Simple changes make Microsoft's OS run smoother

Not much to talk about, it seems a rather minor update, but hopefully it avoids the issues that had befallen the April update

View attachment 835175
The 2019 May update for me has actually been the most stable build out of all the windows builds i have had. (Both Insider and Production) The light theme alone is worth it to me. I had dark mode on for like 4 months but just got tired of it. I love Windows Sandbox, that is for me probably the best feature they have added in a long time. So much easier than having a hyper v setup to manage just for this. Brightness slider bar in action center.... Very Nice. Being able to fine tune the brightness easily instead of just the 4 modes action center had before. The Start Menu is a LOT more responsive and reliable in this update. They made it it's own app compared to being tied to the shell. I know some people are hesitant to update but for me, I have installed it on 5 PC's and haven't had an issue yet.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009

Queen6

macrumors G4
I'll hold off for now, although backed up I don't need my primary workstation down right now. Like as not I'll wait until it lands on Windows Update.

Known issues with 1903:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1903

Nothing shocking, mostly driver issues that will get sorted in time. One though; best to remove any external USB device and or SDcard prior to updating to 1903 as it may halt the upgrade.

Regarding the issues MS is advising to hold off until 1903 is offered via Windows update as the problems will be resolved (late May/early June).

Q-6

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
you have to go to old control panel and go to programs and features - add additional features to windows

Thanks as I had followed instructions which lead me to check if sandbox was listed under programme and features via control panel. From the screenshot I had all other features listed except sandbox which is missing.

I haven't got add additional features either- I do have turn windows features on/ff which leads me to screenshot list of windows features-without Sandbox.

Attachments

• {EC8C6EF5-9A7E-4413-8FFE-449BA3BCB91E}.png.jpg
    {EC8C6EF5-9A7E-4413-8FFE-449BA3BCB91E}.png.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
@derekamoss

Think as I haven't yet got 1903 then possibly as I', 1889 then maybe that's why sandox is missing.
  1. Open Start.
  2. Search for Turn Windows features on or off and click the top result to open the experience.
  3. Check the Windows Sandbox option. Enable Windows Sandbox on Windows 10 version 1903.
  4. Click the OK button.
  5. Click the Restart now button.

Reactions: Queen6

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Thanks as I had followed instructions which lead me to check if sandbox was listed under programme and features via control panel. From the screenshot I had all other features listed except sandbox which is missing.

I haven't got add additional features either- I do have turn windows features on/ff which leads me to screenshot list of windows features-without Sandbox.
Yeah thats where you enable it. I was going of memory when I add features but turn on windows features is what I meant.
[doublepost=1559044026][/doublepost]
@derekamoss

Think as I haven't yet got 1903 then possibly as I', 1889 then maybe that's why sandox is missing.
  1. Open Start.
  2. Search for Turn Windows features on or off and click the top result to open the experience.
  3. Check the Windows Sandbox option. Enable Windows Sandbox on Windows 10 version 1903.
  4. Click the OK button.
  5. Click the Restart now button.
yeah you have to be on 1903. For me 1903 has been probably the most stable build since they started windows 10. You can get it even if it isn't showing up in windows update .

Reactions: kazmac and Donfor39

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Yeah thats where you enable it. I was going of memory when I add features but turn on windows features is what I meant.
[doublepost=1559044026][/doublepost]
yeah you have to be on 1903. For me 1903 has been probably the most stable build since they started windows 10. You can get it even if it isn't showing up in windows update .

Is there a url for 1903....please

found 1903 thanks!
upload_2019-5-28_12-59-2.png

[doublepost=1559047601][/doublepost]I have 1903 since 17th May -my mistake as I had recently been referring to Insiders o/s build.
Though this piece of text explains why i'm missing Sandbox option.

NOTE: Windows Sandbox is not available on the Home edition of Windows 10.

Last edited:

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I don't know if I'll use Sandbox. My computer habits are such that I don't download many apps, and except for one app, they're all trusted
I'm the same, all my apps are windows store but have enjoyed being curious and using it to see what actually happens from sketchy downloads....

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
I don't know if I'll use Sandbox. My computer habits are such that I don't download many apps, and except for one app, they're all trusted

I'm recently back on Windows, and had a close call yesterday...

My last memory on the XP / Vista days... building up your nice collection of apps / settings like a Jenga tower, only to stumble upon a trojan ridden EXE from some questionable site... then boom it's time for a reinstall.

Thankfully, Windows 10's built in Windows Defender flagged up yesterday a trojan ridden EXE before it could do any damage.

It's really going in the right direction and a pleasure to be back. If it weren't for the good protection built in, I'd use Sandbox.

Though I can see how more advanced users might need to test things on behalf of others where even WD doesn't do the trick..

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I'm missing so many news these days...
Well, Linux kernel, terminal, etc. All great news. But .NET Core will be gone in a year or so, and replaced with .NET 5.
From .NET 5 and beyond, everything about MS libraries will be cross platform (except legacy stuff I guess, but that is to be expected). Since a lot of my work is around C# and MS technologies, this is great stuff!

So basically, I can use one IDE (Rider for example) on any OS, and build whatever I need to, and it will run on all platforms.

Even though I still dislike windows (subjective point of view), I gotta say, out of all tech giants out there (Apple, Google, MS, Amazon, etc.), MS is slowly becoming my favourite. And just 5-6 years ago I really disliked them. And that says a lot.

It's strange how a change in leadership can do wonders for a company. It happened with Apple when Steve came back, it's happening again in reverse fashion with TC. But Nadella is for MS what Jobs was for Apple.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Idle hands and all :p activity dropped off some so baked up the primary notebook's drives and updated to 1903. Seamless so far. Seemed like a much larger download versus 1803 & 1809 etc. equally once DL'd took all of 10 minutes to install. Everything as promised by Microsoft and no degradation in performance.

I did look at the details on the 1903 known issues page, however nothing notable for this hardware (ROG GL703GS) All the same ran DISM post update all good 100% no errors

Code:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Still picking through the differences versus 1809, liking the small productivity improvements to the browser and general UI tweaks. Most of the work on the update is clearly under the hood of which I'm fine will. 1809 has been 100% stable, 1903 holds up the same I'll be more than happy.

Q-6

Reactions: kazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.