Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
So I have had a HP Spectre 15.6" with an 11th gen i7 and 16gb ram with a 512gb name and old screen for almost a year and a half. I got tiger lake as soon as it was available. Seems like Alderlake is still not shipping in most laptops yet. I tried Win 11 as soon as it was released and quickly reverted to Win 10.

Now it has been a short while and several updates later I tried Win 11 again. I benchmarked my laptop several times in Win 10. I also did so in Win 11 when it first came out and noticed no real difference.

This time I made a usb bootable Windows 11 disk and used setup in Windows 10 to upgrade. I wiped the ssd clean during the upgrade process. Oddly most of the HP bloatware was removed? I am used to upgrades just wiping any apps or programs I installed but not what came with the device. I actually like that it got rid of the bloatware. So I ran Geekbench 5 again and this time the Multi core score was about 500 points higher from around 4300-4500 to 5000 in Multi core. The single core was just slightly higher(within margin of error)

So either the removal of the HP apps or Windows 11 boosted GB scores. I was initially not happy with Win 11 because of the new start menu. I am still not happy that I have to make more clicks just to get to an app I want. That being said it certainly looks a lot better and seems to be faster and stable. So I have to say I was wrong about Windows 11. It is not perfect for sure but it seems to be a decent upgrade from Windows 10.

I would like to know if anyone else has had a similar experience. Thanks!

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
i get the same response speeds with windows 10 as I did with windows 11,
and faster with 10 by not right clicking everything and extra time to cut or paste something.
i dread 2025

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
i get the same response speeds with windows 10 as I did with windows 11,
and faster with 10 by not right clicking everything and extra time to cut or paste something.
i dread 2025

Win11 will have nearly 4 years of patches.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Windows 11 will not be faster then windows 10, unless you are one of those people rocking a 12th gen Intel cpu. I've not seen any benchmark, or user experience that saw marked improvement. Makes sense too, since under the hood, not much has changed, so what you see in win10 is what you get in win11.

the removal of the HP apps
This is your answer, its quite known that bloatware can and will slow your machine down.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I had Windows 11 running on my 2013 Acer Aspire M5 that had an older i5, 4GB RAM, and a spinner HDD. It actually ran quite well--perfectly smooth. It's an 'unsupported' laptop, too. No EFI, no TPM, and MBR. It actually felt like a new computer. This was a laptop shipping with Windows 8.

Only issue on that was the battery died in an hour. But that's probably because the laptop is now 9 years old and has a non-removable battery and has been in a drawer for most of its life.

I also just got a new Lenovo laptop that came with Win11, and I'm personally loving it. I'm an oddball, I mostly disliked 10 and love 11. The UI just feels warm, welcoming and the event sound effects are less 'cold' compared with 10.

The only noticeable differences between the new laptop and the old Acer are that the Acer seems to run in more of an 'S Mode' as in a lot of Windows 11 features, such as the weather on the lower left corner, are missing. It also had a few less built in features as well, having to sideload stuff such as Office, Your Phone as well as the updated Microsoft Store (was stuck on the older Windows 10 version). I think the lack of TPM gimps various Windows 11 features from working without hacks. Still, was pretty surprised at the performance.

Also noticed that in my area, the base Windows 11 laptops on sale are sporting specs as low as 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD (no SSD), and an i3 or Ryzen 5. But playing with the demos they all pretty much perform the same. I'm hoping myself that Win11 (and mobile OSs like modern iOS, Android 12+, etc) is the start of the era where hardware no longer matters and we won't have to buy new machines in the future to run the software, and possibly, for better or worse, that software will mostly run in the cloud.

Last edited:
Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Windows 11 will not be faster then windows 10, unless you are one of those people rocking a 12th gen Intel cpu. I've not seen any benchmark, or user experience that saw marked improvement. Makes sense too, since under the hood, not much has changed, so what you see in win10 is what you get in win11.

This is your answer, its quite known that bloatware can and will slow your machine down.
I thought this too but a 500 point increase and I did uninstall a lot of bloatware but kept a few of the HP apps. I think I kept 4 of the 8 included and then did a clean install with only the support app. Even with the support app and no others I got the 500 point increase but I did not see those results on Windows 10?

Anyway I am not here to say I know but just anecdotal experience and want to see if others who have 11th gen or better Intel upgrade to Win 11 from 10 see any performance difference at all either way.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I also wanted to point out that I also got my laptop as part of a bundle which removes bloatware (they call it 'trialware, ads') and also included two months of Game Pass Ultimate as well, so that's a nice bonus.

I never liked Windows 10's existentional crisis it had. It couldn't decide whether or not it wanted to be Windows 8 or a new Windows. The start menu was full of live tiles reducing performance, or you'd end up with a budget system stuck forever in 'tablet mode' which just makes it Windows 8 with new paint. It was a mess compared with 11.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
It’s the same old Windows that got visual update. Nothing changed under the hood to make it faster. I just upgraded from 10 to 11 (not clean install) and I do not notice anything performance wise. I kinda like the new look, but UI inconsistencies are killing me, some system apps are just pasted from Windows 10. Either follow one design language or the other.

And why are there still 2 Control Panels? Micro$oft, you had 6+ years to sort this out!

Reactions: burgman and ian87w

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
On two systems I play games on it actually performs better (one of them a dedicated gaming rig). Even Subnautica performed better on my Lenovo laptop and it's not even a gaming laptop.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
It’s the same old Windows that got visual update. Nothing changed under the hood to make it faster. I just upgraded from 10 to 11 (not clean install) and I do not notice anything performance wise. I kinda like the new look, but UI inconsistencies are killing me, some system apps are just pasted from Windows 10. Either follow one design language or the other.

And why are there still 2 Control Panels? Micro$oft, you had 6+ years to sort this out!
Agree. Windows 11 is basically just Windows 10 with a new skin. I’m also having some time to adjust to the new UI. Things are less straightforward compared to Windows 10. Overall UI does feel more modern though, more polished, taking a lot of cues from macOS. However, often times the makeup is only skin deep.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I love Windows 11. It feels great, runs fast, and it's everything Windows 10 was, but better.

The only thing I absolutely hate, and this is Microsoft as a whole, is that Windows and Microsoft Accounts is so intertwined that I found that even deleting, editing, and saving files needed me to log in to some sort of online Microsoft account to accomplish. Things that I could do in Windows 95 25 years ago. And logging into that account took 2 different verification codes for some reason. It was ********.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Heck I don't need verification codes but then I don't use 2FA because it's migraine inducing. Just use a secure password and change it every so often.

Windows 11 is NOTHING like 10. I HATED 10. Still do (one PC at work still runs it in all its idiot proof bland glory). Windows 11 gives me full control over updates (delaying them indefinitely if I ask it to, something you don't get in 10, which will nag you endlessly about it) and is far more consistent. 10 couldn't tell if it was 8 or 7 or 10. It had desktop icons (such as Reycle Bin) from Windows 95, had a messed up Settings menu forcing use of Control panel 99% the time, a broken wifi subsystem (carried over from Windows Vista-the 'unidentified network local access only'/Can't connect to this network bug--STILL unfixed!) and a UI as bland as all get out.

Windows 11 is much easier to skeuomorph and is a total breath of fresh air to me. The first 'modern' OS I can use and enjoy doing so. Let's hope Microsoft doesn't listen to the haters and keeps with it this time. Windows 10 tried to get some whimsy but stopped at fluent design because 'OMG not skeuomorphism again!' complaints from 'insiders'.

Thankfully the live tiles are gone. Come on Microsoft, let's have that dazzling Windows 7 UX back!

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
You can have Win11 with privacy. Just turn the wifi off. Or use 'metered connection' and never log in to a MS account.

I was using 10+GB of 'background data' until I did the latter two things, now it's a couple of MB at best when I'm doing nothing. But I just turn the Wifi off if I don't need the internet. I use one laptop at work mainly for PDFs and diagnostic software that does not need internet, and another laptop at home is piled high with Steam games and Steam is permenantly offline on it. Neither need to be online period. That's about as private as you can get.

that being said, Telemetry has been part of Windows since Windows 7. Be not a fool--if you're using Windows 10 you're still dealing with it.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I wish, but Win10 was installed by mistake of mine.
If your system was preloaded with a version of Windows older than 10 then you can revert back to that older version.

The larger point is, if you are so concerned about privacy that you won't install Windows 11, then you aren't any more private by staying on Windows 10.

There are a few good reasons for not installing Windows 11, the concern about privacy isn't one of them (if one is already running Windows 10).

Reactions: three and burgman

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I just did network checks over the last couple of weeks. There's little to no activity coming from my Vista and XP boxes (which are online 24/7) at all. Whether that has to do with no telemetry or because they're so outdated that they're far more private is not known, but it does make me feel safer.

Same for my 'old' Linux laptop which still has Ubuntu 14.04 on it. My Galaxy SII, Pantech Breakout that have no accounts and pre-date Google Play Services only show KBs of background over the last month! That's mostly weather widget updates.

Compare that with the 10 GBs of background data mostly from Google Play Services on my S20 FE 5G, and the massive amounts coming from Windows 10 and 11, along with even the background data from my MacBook Pro and iPad, well, the 'modern' devices are concerning to say the least. That's a ton of bandwidth that's not needed when those systems were just sitting at an empty desktop. Is it any wonder I feel more private and safer with the old stuff?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
If your system was preloaded with a version of Windows older than 10 then you can revert back to that older version.

The larger point is, if you are so concerned about privacy that you won't install Windows 11, then you aren't any more private by staying on Windows 10.

There are a few good reasons for not installing Windows 11, the concern about privacy isn't one of them (if one is already running Windows 10).
It's a custom made machine, there won't be an issue. However, in Win10 you could bypass certain things but not using the MS Account link up.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Even without an MS account things still happen to be sent to MS. It's probably more anonymous but it happens regardless.

Just like not using a Google Account on a modern Android phone--if Google Play Services remains intact it is still doing what would essentially qualify as malware tasks in the background. Have you looked at the insane permissions of Play Services? It's one of many reasons I use very old Android phones/tablets that pre-date it. Back then you only got GMS (Google Mobile Services) which got updated to Play Services by logging into the Android market (predecessor to Play Store). But today just skipping a Google account won't stop Play Services from running in the background sending god-knows-what to Google. Just like not logging into a MS Account on Windows won't stop MS from gathering data via telemetry. Sure, you can 'disable' all of that stuff on OOBE but who knows if it kills all of it or that it won't be re-enabled after an update?

Here's the total list of Google Play Services permissions. How this doesn't concern anyone amazes me:

Google Play services
Google LLC

This app has access to:

Device & app history
retrieve running apps
read sensitive log data

Identity
find accounts on the device
add or remove accounts
read your own contact card
modify your own contact card

Calendar
read calendar events plus confidential information

Contacts
read your contacts
modify your contacts

approximate location (network-based)

SMS
receive text messages (SMS)
receive text messages (MMS)
send SMS messages
read your text messages (SMS or MMS)

Phone
read phone status and identity
reroute outgoing calls
read call log
modify phone state
directly call any phone numbers
directly call phone numbers
add voicemail

Photos/Media/Files
read the contents of your USB storage
modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Storage

Camera
take pictures and videos

Microphone
record audio

Wi-Fi connection information
view Wi-Fi connections

Device ID & call information

Wearable sensors/Activity data
body sensors (like heart rate monitors)

Phone
reroute outgoing calls
read call log
modify phone state

precise location (GPS and network-based)

SMS
send SMS messages

Phone
modify phone state
reroute outgoing calls
read call log
add voicemail

Phone
modify phone state
reroute outgoing calls
read call log

Phone
modify phone state
reroute outgoing calls
read call log
write call log
add voicemail

Device & app history
retrieve system internal state
Identity
add or remove accounts

Contacts
read your contacts

Phone

Other
interact across users
read subscribed feeds
write subscribed feeds
capture video output
capture audio output
Interact with update and recovery system
Send broadcasts to Google Play.
Provide a trust agent.
Read Google settings
Modify Google settings
update component usage statistics
bind to a notification listener service
retrieve app ops statistics
modify app ops statistics
Hotword detection
manage voice keyphrases
retrieve running apps
add or remove a device admin
listen for observations on network conditions
score networks
provide an in-call user experience
manage preferences and permissions for USB devices
allow Bluetooth pairing by Application
reset display timeout
Audio Routing
start a task from recents
manage activity stacks
capture secure video output
download files without notification
modify network usage accounting
set time
control system backup and restore
read voicemail
receive data from Internet
read frame buffer
read your social stream
write to your social stream
full network access
use accounts on the device
draw over other apps
run at startup
read Google service configuration
measure app storage space
send sticky broadcast
control vibration
read sync settings
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
create accounts and set passwords
control Near Field Communication
prevent device from sleeping
view network connections
control flashlight
connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi
pair with Bluetooth devices
access Bluetooth settings
allow Wi-Fi Multicast reception
install shortcuts
disable your screen lock
change network connectivity
reorder running apps
change your audio settings
set time zone
view network connections
send sticky broadcast
disable your screen lock
control flashlight
full network access
read sync settings
run at startup
reorder running apps
set time zone
draw over other apps
control vibration
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
install shortcuts
view network connections
send sticky broadcast
disable your screen lock
control flashlight
full network access
read sync settings
run at startup
reorder running apps
set time zone
draw over other apps
control vibration
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
view network connections
send sticky broadcast
disable your screen lock
full network access
read sync settings
run at startup
set time zone
draw over other apps
control vibration
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
view network connections
send sticky broadcast
disable your screen lock
full network access
read sync settings
run at startup
set time zone
draw over other apps
control vibration
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
install shortcuts
view network connections
send sticky broadcast
disable your screen lock
full network access
read sync settings
run at startup
draw over other apps
control vibration
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
install shortcuts
view network connections
send sticky broadcast
disable your screen lock
full network access
read sync settings
run at startup
draw over other apps
control vibration
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
view network connections
full network access
read sync settings
run at startup
draw over other apps
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off

Last edited:

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Even without an MS account things still happen to be sent to MS. It's probably more anonymous but it happens regardless.

Just like not using a Google Account on a modern Android phone--if Google Play Services remains intact it is still doing what would essentially qualify as malware tasks in the background. Have you looked at the insane permissions of Play Services? It's one of many reasons I use very old Android phones/tablets that pre-date it. Back then you only got GMS (Google Mobile Services) which got updated to Play Services by logging into the Android market (predecessor to Play Store). But today just skipping a Google account won't stop Play Services from running in the background sending god-knows-what to Google. Just like not logging into a MS Account on Windows won't stop MS from gathering data via telemetry. Sure, you can 'disable' all of that stuff on OOBE but who knows if it kills all of it or that it won't be re-enabled after an update?

Here's the total list of Google Play Services permissions. How this doesn't concern anyone amazes me:

Google Play services
Google LLC

This app has access to:

Device & app history
retrieve running apps
read sensitive log data

Identity
add or remove accounts

Calendar

Contacts
read your contacts
modify your contacts

SMS
send SMS messages

Phone
reroute outgoing calls
read call log
modify phone state
add voicemail

Photos/Media/Files

Storage

Camera
take pictures and videos

Microphone
record audio

view Wi-Fi connections

Phone
reroute outgoing calls
read call log
modify phone state

SMS
send SMS messages

Phone
modify phone state
reroute outgoing calls
read call log
add voicemail

Phone
modify phone state
reroute outgoing calls
read call log

Phone
modify phone state
reroute outgoing calls
read call log
write call log
add voicemail

Device & app history
Identity
add or remove accounts

Contacts
read your contacts

Phone

Other
interact across users
read subscribed feeds
write subscribed feeds
capture video output
capture audio output
Provide a trust agent.
Read Google settings
Modify Google settings
Hotword detection
manage voice keyphrases
retrieve running apps
score networks
reset display timeout
Audio Routing
manage activity stacks
set time
read voicemail
read frame buffer
read your social stream
full network access
draw over other apps
run at startup
send sticky broadcast
control vibration
read sync settings
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
view network connections
control flashlight
install shortcuts
disable your screen lock
reorder running apps
set time zone
view network connections
send sticky broadcast
disable your screen lock
control flashlight
full network access
read sync settings
run at startup
reorder running apps
set time zone
draw over other apps
control vibration
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
install shortcuts
view network connections
send sticky broadcast
disable your screen lock
control flashlight
full network access
read sync settings
run at startup
reorder running apps
set time zone
draw over other apps
control vibration
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
view network connections
send sticky broadcast
disable your screen lock
full network access
read sync settings
run at startup
set time zone
draw over other apps
control vibration
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
view network connections
send sticky broadcast
disable your screen lock
full network access
read sync settings
run at startup
set time zone
draw over other apps
control vibration
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
install shortcuts
view network connections
send sticky broadcast
disable your screen lock
full network access
read sync settings
run at startup
draw over other apps
control vibration
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
install shortcuts
view network connections
send sticky broadcast
disable your screen lock
full network access
read sync settings
run at startup
draw over other apps
control vibration
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
view network connections
full network access
read sync settings
run at startup
draw over other apps
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
Uhh, are you implying Google does all those actions on its own without user input that requires particular permissions? If so that's crazy talk.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1

Google Play services
Google LLC

This app has access to:

Device & app history
retrieve running apps
read sensitive log data

Identity
add or remove accounts

Calendar

Contacts
read your contacts
modify your contacts

SMS
send SMS messages

Phone
reroute outgoing calls
read call log
modify phone state
add voicemail

Photos/Media/Files

Storage

Camera
take pictures and videos

Microphone
record audio

view Wi-Fi connections

Phone
reroute outgoing calls
read call log
modify phone state

SMS
send SMS messages

Phone
modify phone state
reroute outgoing calls
read call log
add voicemail

Phone
modify phone state
reroute outgoing calls
read call log

Phone
modify phone state
reroute outgoing calls
read call log
write call log
add voicemail

Device & app history
Identity
add or remove accounts

Contacts
read your contacts

Phone

Other
interact across users
read subscribed feeds
write subscribed feeds
capture video output
capture audio output
Provide a trust agent.
Read Google settings
Modify Google settings
Hotword detection
manage voice keyphrases
retrieve running apps
score networks
reset display timeout
Audio Routing
manage activity stacks
set time
read voicemail
read frame buffer
read your social stream
full network access
draw over other apps
run at startup
send sticky broadcast
control vibration
read sync settings
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
view network connections
control flashlight
install shortcuts
disable your screen lock
reorder running apps
set time zone
view network connections
send sticky broadcast
disable your screen lock
control flashlight
full network access
read sync settings
run at startup
reorder running apps
set time zone
draw over other apps
control vibration
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
install shortcuts
view network connections
send sticky broadcast
disable your screen lock
control flashlight
full network access
read sync settings
run at startup
reorder running apps
set time zone
draw over other apps
control vibration
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
view network connections
send sticky broadcast
disable your screen lock
full network access
read sync settings
run at startup
set time zone
draw over other apps
control vibration
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
view network connections
send sticky broadcast
disable your screen lock
full network access
read sync settings
run at startup
set time zone
draw over other apps
control vibration
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
install shortcuts
view network connections
send sticky broadcast
disable your screen lock
full network access
read sync settings
run at startup
draw over other apps
control vibration
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
install shortcuts
view network connections
send sticky broadcast
disable your screen lock
full network access
read sync settings
run at startup
draw over other apps
control vibration
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
view network connections
full network access
read sync settings
run at startup
draw over other apps
modify system settings
toggle sync on and off
Oh, many people understand that, but what are they gonna do? Some that are more savvy than other will maybe try custom ROMs without Google services. Those who do not like Apple's walled garden, what other option can they choose? Google and Apple are holding the total control over the mobile market. On PC or laptop you have 3rd option, on mobile there is none.

As for the Windows, those who are not eager to tweak the registry and such, try ShutUp10++

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Oh, many people understand that, but what are they gonna do?Some that are more savvy than other will maybe try custom ROMs without Google services. Those who do not like Apple's walled garden, what other option can they choose? Google and Apple are holding the total control over the mobile market. On PC or laptop you have 3rd option, on mobile there is none.

As for the Windows, those who are not eager to tweak the registry and such, try ShutUp10++

Use Windows Vista. Any flavor of Linux. No telemetry, and no chance that MS can force some 'update' to re-enable it and bypass ShutUp10 or any other third-party hack.

I'd rather be confident my OS can't change, can't update itself, and cannot phone home than worry about constantly playing cat and mouse with Microsoft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.