Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Telemetry in Windows 10 and 11 can be disabled by using registry tweaks in the Pro version. I locked down my pc doing so and it doesn't report to MS and there was a discernable performance change in a good way. Windows Vista-no thanks. Windows 11 has its quirks but overall it is a very secure OS with integrated anti-virus that again in pro version you can add more functionality to it.

Confident your OS can't change or update itself? In Windows 11 you can delay updates even in the home edition. You can set it so it will only update when you initiate and update search. Personally I don't always enjoy every update or change but keeping current in the tech world is really not a choice. You are either current or a dinosaur no matter the platform. Linux updates all the time and a lot of times a kernel update can bork the entire system. If you think anything connected to the internet is secure or isn't phoning home in some way at some time then you are not being realistic.

Just use what works best for you, lock it down as best you can and enjoy it.

I used to love Windows phone until my HP phone was left by Microsoft with no support after a year and a half they just abandoned the platform. I to this date still don't understand why they did that. If they would have just given more time and got more OEMS on board with better hardware they had a solid mobile platform. Sure they needed more apps but they would have eventually got more. The problem was that no one wanted to invest in a platform that did not have enough users and Microsoft did not put all of their effort and money into getting there. The Windows Mobile interface was really good and I preferred it to both Android and iOS at the time. I miss Windows Mobile....Lol

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Yeah I know I can delay updates to Windows 11 forever. I actually LIKE Win11. I hated 10 so much. But I worry about the naysayers affecting Microsoft and they just make it Windows 10-S or something. Like they dial back the skeuo, dial back the choices and it just becomes the Windows 10 with a new start bar. Wasn't there a planned Windows 10 that resembled some of 11 that the cancelled?

As for telemetry, yea, you can use apps like Shutup10 or registry hacks but how long before MS circumvents it? I still prefer the UI of Vista and 7, and Windows 11 is closer to that, but not quite there yet. I hope it gets closer to that since I'm so sick of flat UI design it makes me sick to look at anything running it. I'd actually be happy if they brought Aero transparency back to the title bars and made the window control buttons look like buttons again.

Window Phone was great. Too flat to me but great, We need competition in the mobile OS department. I think what killed it was Google getting angry and disabling and remote-removing any apps they made for WP, including YouTube, Maps, and Search (the last one you could just use the web browser). But MS fell victim to BlackBerry Syndrome, and if a phone can't play Angry Birds or Plants Vs. Zombies it's already treading thin ice, but no Facebook or TikTok? Everyone nopes right out. I'm thankful I don't depend on social media.

However, WP's death probably had a lot more to do with the Kin debacle. Anyone remember the Microsoft Kin smartphone? That was the death of the famous T-Mobile Sidekick as well as the Danger OS, and people were pretty hot headed over that one, and didn't give WP a chance afterwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Yeah I know I can delay updates to Windows 11 forever. I actually LIKE Win11. I hated 10 so much. But I worry about the naysayers affecting Microsoft and they just make it Windows 10-S or something. Like they dial back the skeuo, dial back the choices and it just becomes the Windows 10 with a new start bar. Wasn't there a planned Windows 10 that resembled some of 11 that the cancelled?

As for telemetry, yea, you can use apps like Shutup10 or registry hacks but how long before MS circumvents it? I still prefer the UI of Vista and 7, and Windows 11 is closer to that, but not quite there yet. I hope it gets closer to that since I'm so sick of flat UI design it makes me sick to look at anything running it. I'd actually be happy if they brought Aero transparency back to the title bars and made the window control buttons look like buttons again.

Window Phone was great. Too flat to me but great, We need competition in the mobile OS department. I think what killed it was Google getting angry and disabling and remote-removing any apps they made for WP, including YouTube, Maps, and Search (the last one you could just use the web browser). But MS fell victim to BlackBerry Syndrome, and if a phone can't play Angry Birds or Plants Vs. Zombies it's already treading thin ice, but no Facebook or TikTok? Everyone nopes right out. I'm thankful I don't depend on social media.

However, WP's death probably had a lot more to do with the Kin debacle. Anyone remember the Microsoft Kin smartphone? That was the death of the famous T-Mobile Sidekick as well as the Danger OS, and people were pretty hot headed over that one, and didn't give WP a chance afterwards.
I don’t think Microsoft cares about the .1 % of people who actually can edit registry files. I don’t trust any software that hacks the registry or cleans registry. If you can’t do it yourself then don’t mess with it.

I get what you are saying about the UI. Vista and Win 7 Aero was intense on resources at the time which is why they went to a flat UI.

To be honest what I would like to see is some real work on Windows instead of band aids and UI changes.

How about a new improved kernel, file system, a purging of legacy code, maybe integrating a more modular approach to the OS. Then clean up the UI instead of window dressing. So many redundant menus and programs. Then do some UI upgrades. Instead they just keep adding more code which continues to bloat the system. Windows should still be able to run well with a single core processor and 512mb ram but all the added code with no real benefit and no cleaning of old code makes the system need higher requirements.

I know a lot of people say they will never do it because of all the business that depend on legacy code. Just have older supported versions for companies that need it and charge a small fee. They need to be not like Apple but similar in how apple will just stop supporting certain hardware and software over time. Microsoft needs to do that at least a little bit to clean up the system. I have another idea. What if they open sourced the OS. They could still have a license fee to use a complete Windows OS much like apple uses open source like Darwin but has a proprietary kernel and other components. Might make the OS even better but now I am talking crazy talk.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
"I get what you are saying about the UI. Vista and Win 7 Aero was intense on resources at the time which is why they went to a flat UI."

Hardware went a long way since the 7 came out.

Aero is a breeze even for low end GPUs of today. After all, you could disable the Aero if I remember correctly.

Reactions: sracer

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Aero would auto-disable if your PC didn't meet the requirements (a performance index rating of 3.5+)

However, since Windows 11 already has transparency effects on the taskbar and Action Center, it wouldn't be a stretch to include it in the title bars. It would make apps look less white or dark at the top. I'm not expecting literal Aero here, just the transparency. They did well with drop shadows.

The argument in favor of flat UI design made since in the 1980s when we had Hercules graphics, or early CGA/EGA and less than 1MB of RAM, and single-core CPUs, but skeuo makes sense as natural evolution, much like black and white TV became colour.

To revisit flat UI is regression. If we kept developing skeuo, it would become AR, or holographic. I can only dream of the possibilities if flat UI didn't become this never-ending standard with no escape.

That said, Windows 11 brings a lot of skeuo back. The icons in file explorer, icons on the taskbar, and even better looking 'fluent' effects. The more enhanced drop shadow is also nice to separate windows on top of one another. I can only hope that they go farther, and since they started this flat mess in the Windows 8 launch, that they will bring us back and hopefully forward.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
"I get what you are saying about the UI. Vista and Win 7 Aero was intense on resources at the time which is why they went to a flat UI."

Hardware went a long way since the 7 came out.

Aero is a breeze even for low end GPUs of today. After all, you could disable the Aero if I remember correctly.
Exactly. Besides, concern about resources was NOT the reason why Microsoft went to a flat UI. It was purely aesthetic.

I run Windows 7 in a virtual machine on an Asus Vivobook E203MA (4GB RAM, 64GB eMMC, Celeron N4000 processor) and the performance, even in its full Aero glory, runs BETTER than the Win 10 that natively runs on that system.

• Love
Reactions: nickdalzell1

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Just to let people know who complained that you can't have a local account on Windows 11 you can. On initial install you can't but when you reset the device when you get to the prompt to connect to the internet and scroll to the bottom there is a link that says no internet connection. Click on that and set up with a local account. It is what I am using now.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I never had issues finding the 'local account' option during install. In fact the method is just to click past the never-ending (it seems) attempts to convince you to use a Microsoft Account, then it shows 'use a local account instead'. That was a little over a month ago when I installed Windows 11 into a VM on my Linux machine, and unless something changed since then I'm unaware of them 'forcing' a MS account. Making it a pain to use a local account? Sure. Kinda like getting past ReCaptchas in Linux. A pain in the arse, but possible.

It's like that myth of bloatware included in Windows 11. I know there are TONS of bloat preinstalled on 10, but all the times I installed 11 using the official ISO from Microsoft's website there has been ZERO bloat installed. No Candy Crush and no TikTok. Now, on an OEM machine it's likely but that's the OEM who done that--and they've done that for years.

Reactions: Technerd108
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.