Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
around and around it goes! I don't understand people who rag on a certain system, be it the MacBook Air M1, or the Big Sur OS, or any other system that doesn't provide what you as a consumer specifically need. most intelligent users will spend time researching systems before they buy, via reviews, word of mouth, or hands on demo time. if you are a power user why would you buy an entry level computer with minimum ram and storage and then complain about it's performance? if the latest windows system does all that you need it to do, that's great.
Because people buy the "miminum ram" after they have been told by numerous fans/apple/forums that it's MORE THAN ENOUGH in ARM. only to find out they got duped.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
We didn't yet see what Apple does with it's chip in a real desktop computer. I find it hard to believe that they put all the work into the Mac Pro just to let it die now that they transition to ARM.

I don't even think that X86 is bad or anything, AMD does great stuff and really pushed Intel. Intel just fell asleep in the early 2010s and only recently woke up. Both the Intel chips I had in my 2019 MBP 15" and now P53 aren't that different to the one in the MBP from 2014. A little bit faster, sure, but definitely not worth waiting for 6 years.
My two intel i7's now are exremely fast. As in no lag for ANYTHING I do. Even video editing work is basically instant or only a minute or two. I go back to the video where a professional editor has 4 systems, and all intel based systems just flat out fly by the M1.

Reactions: Mendota

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
I do not want to turn this thread into some kind of screed vis a vis Microsoft, so I'll just say this and happily move on:

There's all kinds of companies about which the average 16-30 year old of today has never (or maybe just once upon a time in childhood) heard, that "everybody" once knew were massive corporations which weren't going anywhere. So, Steve, you may be right that Microsoft will be here long after I'm gone. However, they could also go under "next Tuesday" as well, so never forget that.

Ok, enough on that point.

What I'm actually kind of surprised about is that you folks (or anyone else) has had nothing to say about my Linux and Gnome commentary. I'd have thought it would have elicited some kind of reaction from the Mac- (and evidently also Windows-) using crowd here. Sure, there's things it's missing which macOS has that I'd like to see (Automator most immediately comes to mind) but it's pretty hard to look at Linux of 2021 and find much in the way of deficiencies, setting aside the low-hanging fruit response of this or that particular big-name commercial software program, or driver support for this or that particular bit of hardware.

And, the reason I point those out by way of exclusion is those aren't things which are the free software crowd's fault. If Adobe doesn't bother to do a Linux port of Photoshop, that's nobody's fault but Adobe's.

I run the Cinnamon DE, and apart from it having a Windows-esq task bar-and-start menu, it otherwise is very similar to Classic Mac OS / Mac OS X (macOS), right down to the way you can have as well as expand directory trees in list mode, using CTRL + or to move into and out of folders, CTRL + I to Get Info (or, as they like to say, "Properties") about a folder, file, etc., and if one sets up a decent keyboard layout (Like English USA International with AltGR Dead Keys) one can have a very very similar experience to how it's ridiculously easy to type accented letters and a variety of specialized characters like the Ezsett (ß), the cedilla-versions of some letters (ç), and so on. To this day, a lot of this sort of attention to basic details still makes macOS (and, by implication, many DEs in Linux) nicer and more elegant to use than anything offered in Windows.
I don't understand attitudes such as yours. These are operating systems, not religions. They are computers not shrines. I use all three operating systems and have used just about every other desktop system in the past. This includes OS2 Warp, DOS, BeOS, older Apple, Geo Works, etc. I like computers. It is fun and interesting to use each different system. It is like visiting different lands. They all have pluses and imperfections. My current Linux preference is KDE Plasma, it fun, and I like developing in it. I also enjoy the search for applications. BUT it in no way compares to the breath of experience that Windows provides.

Blue Quark

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2020
Probabilistic
I don't understand attitudes such as yours. These are operating systems, not religions. They are computers not shrines. I use all three operating systems and have used just about every other desktop system in the past. This includes OS2 Warp, DOS, BeOS, older Apple, Geo Works, etc. I like computers. It is fun and interesting to use each different system. It is like visiting different lands. They all have pluses and imperfections. My current Linux preference is KDE Plasma, it fun, and I like developing in it. I also enjoy the search for applications. BUT it in no way compares to the breath of experience that Windows provides.
What about my "attitude" do you not understand? You didn't actually provide anything specific to respond to.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
These are operating systems, not religions.
They're not but you shouldn't be surprised at how personal people make choosing computers and operating systems. I'm not calling any one person out, but rather a generic personal observation that people take their choices personally and if you say brand x is superior to brand z, well those brand z folks will see that as an affront for some reason.

I like windows, I personally think its a better OS for my needs, and in all honesty it seems to be more stable/less buggy then Big Sur, but Bug Sur does not have the vulnerabilities that windows seems to have. The print spooler issue is the latest headache that MS has struggled with

Reactions: MBAir2010

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
They're not but you shouldn't be surprised at how personal people make choosing computers and operating systems. I'm not calling any one person out, but rather a generic personal observation that people take their choices personally and if you say brand x is superior to brand z, well those brand z folks will see that as an affront for some reason.

I like windows, I personally think its a better OS for my needs, and in all honesty it seems to be more stable/less buggy then Big Sur, but Bug Sur does not have the vulnerabilities that windows seems to have. The print spooler issue is the latest headache that MS has struggled with

Windows 10 seems to be optimized by processor which is why you get surprisingly good performance on old hardware. Windows has the customer base such that doing something like that is worthwhile. Apple expires hardware on a regular basis. OpenCore allows newer operating systems on unsupported hardware but you still get more bang for the performance buck on Windows.

iMac'd

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
I recently began transitioning to Mac OS expecting it to be slightly better than Windows. The first shock was when I searched for a Manual and in Apple Support there was a list so titled; I was impressed at how clear and specific the long list was - but it turned out to be a "quick start" manual e.g. plug in to power point etc. of no use whatsoever; I was shaken a little to see that Apple hadn't managed primary school English; much worse was to come. Does anyone know of a computer magazine that at least allows receipt of articles for consideration? I know that PC magazine did a report which scored Mac OS 4 and Win. 10 15 but they were apparently unaware of some deep seated failings in Mac OS. Just by the way its appreciated that some who left Windows a decade or so ago may well have made the right decision at the time but significant changes can occur over that period.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I recently began transitioning to Mac OS expecting it to be slightly better than Windows. The first shock was when I searched for a Manual and in Apple Support there was a list so titled; I was impressed at how clear and specific the long list was - but it turned out to be a "quick start" manual e.g. plug in to power point etc. of no use whatsoever; I was shaken a little to see that Apple hadn't managed primary school English; much worse was to come. Does anyone know of a computer magazine that at least allows receipt of articles for consideration? I know that PC magazine did a report which scored Mac OS 4 and Win. 10 15 but they were apparently unaware of some deep seated failings in Mac OS. Just by the way its appreciated that some who left Windows a decade or so ago may well have made the right decision at the time but significant changes can occur over that period.
If you are wondering about general instructions on how to use macOS, I find Apple Support Youtube channel to be quite informative.

DarthVader!

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2013
Mustafar
which is why you get surprisingly good performance on old hardware.
People complain about windows, many times rightly so, but given how well it can run on such old equipment or on limited resources, its pretty amazing.

I think MSFT should have held off on windows 11 and refined and fixed it. While it runs pretty well on some hardware it does seem to be problematic on other hardware. Plus all of the promised features were not included in the initial release.

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I have not owned a Windows computer for over 20 years, other than a couple for work, and running Parallels on my MBP, again for work. Recently I got some software for tuning my car that needs Windows so I bought a cheap Thinkpad off of the bay. I have to say, I am surprised and a little impressed. Many of the things I enjoy on MacOS are now on Win11. I would not switch because of the much better integration in Apple, but I would say Windows has done a lot of catching up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.