Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kung gu

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
Yes you read that title correct, I have been using the 16" MBP for over a year now. I noticed that Windows 10 is a lot smoother and faster than Big Sur. I keep AMD graphics always on Big Sur but even so Apps take a while to open where as on Windows(bootcamp) its instant. The mouse lags on Big Sur and there are times when the system animations on Big Sur just slow down and make the whole user experience not an enjoyable one. The NOTIFICATION CENTRE CRASH'S and when it happens you can't even see notifications or the calendar and I have to force quit the app to open it again.

I noticed with every update Apple breaks something and its just not as stable anymore. macOS is a BUG fest and slow compared to other OSs. Windows works on SO many devices and honestly its impressive that its compatible with a wide range of hardware.

All Apple have do is optimize and make sure its works with the MBA, MBP, iMac and Mac Pro. It can't even handle that. There are no drivers for the 6000 series AMD graphics from Apple yet and it just shows Apple's neglect towards macOS.

macOS is not the "World's Most Advanced Operating System" as Apple calls it, no in fact it worse than Linux and Windows.

Moving on to the little things that are very ANNOYING to me:

Finder is slow and VERY unintuitive compared to File Explorer. Quick Look is the one thing I like about Finder.
But I recently found out you can get Quick Look on Windows using a third party app and it works great. The whole commands/shortcuts DON'T make sense on mac. Finder is the main culprit, opening a file is cmd+O. You can't even use enter to open the file without installing a app and that process is tedious. You have to disable SiP for it work. The "xtraFinder" app is buggy and not as smooth as Finder itself. The whole CUT,COPY and PASTE thing is very annoying. Seriously, how hard is it add CUT as option in finder.
IMO File Explorer is MUCH better than Finder, and OH yeah you can REFRESH files on Windows WAY easier than Finder and you can also QUIT File Explorer and see items/files on your desktop. I don't why Apple does not allow users to quit finder but this may do with the fact that you IF do quit Finder using a third party app, the items on your Desktop disappear because that's how macOS functions.

These sort things are not there on Windows and Linux.

The shortcuts also relate to MS Office products and browsers. For example cmd+R to refresh a browser but on Windows a simple F5.

Honestly there are many more issues with macOS, no Vulkan support, no lastest openGL support and you are paying more for LESS.
The game library is so bad that Linux has more games to play.

Oh and with the M1 Macs becoming more closed and not using standard PC parts is more of a reason to stay away from ARM Macs (Also the VERY limited App support) and macOS on M1 is even more appalling. I have seen people on this very forum with SSD writing issues that are already on 16TBW and above. While my Intel 16" has only 7TBW and I brought this in January 2020 and I have used it almost everyday. The M1 macs use more swap memory than their intel counterparts shows that the ARM architecture is not ready on desktop operating systems yet. Software was limited when macOS was on Intel/x86 and on ARM it will be even more so limited.

There is no reason to buys Macs anymore IMO, Windows has come to the point it IS superior than macOS in EVERYWAY.
It's better for gaming, productivity(school work, video rendering/editing, music production and 3d work) and enterprise/business.

PLUS there are apps available like SolidWorks and autoCAD with the full tools sets.

I would like to conclude by saying this 16" MBP will be my last Apple computer and a nice premium Windows/Linux laptop/PC will on list next with Intel/AMD/Nvidia inside.

EDIT: macOS 11.4 beta 1 has AMD 6000 series drivers. Happy to see that.

Last edited:

Kung gu

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
That was a very entertaining read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I always wondered why some people prefer Windows to Macs, and now I've read a first hand account from a Windows fan. There is nothing more to say. My day is complete.
I am not a Windows fan lol my biggest gripe is the consistency of Windows 10 but I can live with it as I can still do the things I want without much issue. But one thing is true you can DO a lot more things on a Windows machine that you can't do macOS.
This is a fact

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It takes a special person to not see the connection between "Open" and Cmd-O, "Refresh" and Cmd-R. Only a Windows fan thinks F5 is somehow more intuitive.

But no matter. Your 16" MacBook Pro will be your last Mac. Then you'll have to make do with a slower Intel machine.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
I didn't read the whole post, since I'm at work, but to be fair with you, my MSI Modern is faster than MacBook Air M1 when it comes to boot times and opening apps.
(MSI opens Google Chrome faster than the MacBook Air M1 Apple chip's version) etc.

Windows isn't bad at all. I don't understand why it gets the hate.

Seriously, how hard is it add CUT as option in finder.
This has always bothered me as well. It has bothered me since 2007 when I first used a Mac.

Kung gu

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
I didn't read the whole post, since I'm at work, but to be fair with you, my MSI Modern is faster than MacBook Air M1 when it comes to boot times and opening apps.
(MSI opens Google Chrome faster than the MacBook Air M1 Apple chip's version) etc.

Windows isn't bad at all. I don't understand why it gets the hate.
Yes the AMD Ryzen Zen 3 CPUs are much faster than M1 and AMDs are on 7nms too. Intel chips are stable and optimized for Windows. Yep Windows gets hate because you can everything on it. ;)

Bruninho

Suspended
Mar 12, 2021
I limit my access to a Windows 10 VM to a minimum possible. I despise this version (and “Fisher-Price” XP, Vista, 7, 8). I use this only to access my certificates to generate my work receipts. 5 mins, get in, do the thing, get out. Done. Just because the silly brazilian government does not have a macOS version of the app.

I haven’t produced anything on Windows since 2010 (thanks God) when I got my first Mac, and released my full potential as a web developer. Can’t wait for the M1 Mac and newer macOS versions, to unleash even more of that potential as a professional web designer, now that I have left behind my old position as a frontend developer.

Windows 10 is by far the worst version ever, bloated with data collection/telemetry sending your data to MS. If it suits you, good for you. But it will never be superior to MacOS Big Sur, even Ubuntu 20.04 is superior to Windows by miles.

I have a feeling that this topic was made to troll mac users. So this is my only post here. Modern Windows sucks.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
I limit my access to a Windows 10 VM to a minimum possible. I despise this version (and “Fisher-Price” XP, Vista, 7, 8). I use this only to access my certificates to generate my work receipts. 5 mins, get in, do the thing, get out. Done. Just because the silly brazilian government does not have a macOS version of the app.

I haven’t produced anything on Windows since 2010 (thanks God) when I got my first Mac, and released my full potential as a web developer. Can’t wait for the M1 Mac and newer macOS versions, to unleash even more of that potential as a professional web designer, now that I have left behind my old position as a frontend developer.

Windows 10 is by far the worst version ever, bloated with data collection/telemetry sending your data to MS. If it suits you, good for you. But it will never be superior to MacOS Big Sur, even Ubuntu 20.04 is superior to Windows by miles.

I have a feeling that this topic was made to troll mac users. So this is my only post here. Modern Windows sucks.
So if the person is telling the truth he's a troll? Logic much?
Windows 10 doesn't really have bloatware. If you can't work on all platforms you're not a real developer. The problem is always between the computer screen and the chair is what we got told at school daily and it's true.
The problem is you, not Windows

Kung gu

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
Why does the truth hurt? As for the bloatware you can easily remove it with windows with a few scripts and as for the
telemetry that too u can block with scripts and no it does not take days to do it. It takes less than 30 minutes.

I am very happy that my Mac runs on intel and I have the choice to use Windows, something that is not available on future macs.

You know whats funny I have more freedom on Windows to do what I WANT than I have on macOS.
Did you know you can't disable Gatekeeper anymore on M1 macs? All software must be signed from now on M1 macs.
Theres a way to disable Gatekeeper on Intel macs using terminal but that command does not work on M1 macs.

macOS feels and IS more restrictive than ANY modern desktop operating system and its also not compatible with
most hardware. No support for 6000 AMD grahpics yet and you will never see rtx 3000 eGPU support on macs.

On M1 macs eGPU support is gone and I don't think it will ever come back as per Apple's closed nature.

What makes macOS superior to Windows when it can't even run RTX Minecraft. ;)

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020

What makes macOS superior to Windows when it can't even run RTX Minecraft. ;)

What makes Windows superior to macOS when it can't even run Pages?

I run macOS, Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows 10 on iMac hardware. All are installed onto comparable external USB 3 SSD drives.

• It takes longer to install Windows (30 mins) as against 20 mins for macOS and 10 mins for Linux.
  • It takes longer to boot up. Windows takes at least a minute before it is ready (yeah, I know it presents the desktop in about 20 seconds, but it is so busy loading Windows Defender, counting its digital fingers and toes, and other stuff that you can't really start working for about a minute. Equivalent times are 30 secs for macOS and 20 secs for Linux.
  • It takes longer to do stuff. Compiling a 150 page document using LaTeX on Windows takes 25 seconds, compared to 15 seconds on macOS and Linux (using the same version of LaTeX (2021 TeXLive).
  • Windows has that appalling monstrosity of unreliability and insecurity called the Registry, something developed in the 1980s and not upgraded in nearly 40 years.
  • By default, the first user set up under Windows has full Admin access, and can install anything without a password. How insecure is that? (Yes, you have to press an on-screen button, but that is easy to get around.) (And yes, you can install an Admin-only user but how many home users know how to do that?)
  • Windows does not integrate nicely into a home network. It is designed for Enterprise use, and should stay there.
  • You can run Windows on a Mac, but you can't run macOS on a Windows PC.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021

I run macOS, Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows 10 on iMac hardware. All are installed onto comparable external USB 3 SSD drives.

• It takes longer to install Windows (30 mins) as against 20 mins for macOS and 10 mins for Linux.
  • It takes longer to boot up. Windows takes at least a minute before it is ready (yeah, I know it presents the desktop in about 20 seconds, but it is so busy loading Windows Defender, counting its digital fingers and toes, and other stuff that you can't really start working for about a minute. Equivalent times are 30 secs for macOS and 20 secs for Linux.
  • It takes longer to do stuff. Compiling a 150 page document using LaTeX on Windows takes 25 seconds, compared to 15 seconds on macOS and Linux (using the same version of LaTeX (2021 TeXLive).
  • Windows has that appalling monstrosity of unreliability and insecurity called the Registry, something developed in the 1980s and not upgraded in nearly 40 years.
  • By default, the first user set up under Windows has full Admin access, and can install anything without a password. How insecure is that? (Yes, you have to press an on-screen button, but that is easy to get around.) (And yes, you can install an Admin-only user but how many home users know how to do that?)
  • Windows does not integrate nicely into a home network. It is designed for Enterprise use, and should stay there.
  • You can run Windows on a Mac, but you can't run macOS on a Windows PC.
Windows doesn't take at least a minute before it's ready. What kind of a computer are you using? My Windows on MSI is ready immediately. Why lie like that? Windows is faster with booting up than Mac and you can use Windows hello or Pin code, which makes it faster to sign in.

Who uses Pages? Tell me one company. I'm interested.
When I bought my PC it was preinstalled and don't remember the installation taking 30minutes anyways.

You can run macOS on a Windows PC. That's what Hackintoshes are for.
Everything you say is a complete lie.

Kung gu

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
wow windows does not boot longer than macOS at least in my experience and others share the same sentiment as well.
It does not need Pages, majority of the world use word and its way better than Pages. Almost all comapanies/schools use Office 365.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
IMO File Explorer is MUCH better than Finder, and OH yeah you can REFRESH files on Windows WAY easier than Finder and you can also QUIT File Explorer and see items/files on your desktop. I don't why Apple does not allow users to quit finder but this may do with the fact that you IF do quit Finder using a third party app, the items on your Desktop disappear because that's how macOS functions.

While Windows Explorer has obvious benefits compared to the ever-so-flawed Finder, I don't buy that quitting argument as there isn't as much difference between the functionalities as you suggest. Yes, you can close all Explorer instances in Windows so that the taskbar shows only the pinned icon (if pinned there) without the indicator for the app having any open windows, while the Finder activity indicator remains under the Finder icon even with all Finder windows closed. Yes, the desktop and icons do disappear if you force quit Finder (native tools are sufficient for this, no need for a third party app). However, if you go into the Task Manager in Windows while Explorer is supposedly closed, you can see that explorer.exe is still running and if you end that task, your desktop goes blank and also the taskbar disappears until you start a new instance of Explorer. Not much difference there.

So at best there's a minor UI difference between how the two operating systems indicate that their built-in file manager is still running to keep the fundamental UI controls in place. Both have pretty much equally obvious side effects to fully terminating that process.

Kung gu

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
While Windows Explorer has obvious benefits compared to the ever-so-flawed Finder, I don't buy that quitting argument as there isn't as much difference between the functionalities as you suggest. Yes, you can close all Explorer instances in Windows so that the taskbar shows only the pinned icon (if pinned there) without the indicator for the app having any open windows, while the Finder activity indicator remains under the Finder icon even with all Finder windows closed. Yes, the desktop and icons do disappear if you force quit Finder (native tools are sufficient for this, no need for a third party app). However, if you go into the Task Manager in Windows while Explorer is supposedly closed, you can see that explorer.exe is still running and if you end that task, your desktop goes blank and also the taskbar disappears until you start a new instance of Explorer. Not much difference there.

So at best there's a minor UI difference between how the two operating systems indicate that their built-in file manager is still running to keep the fundamental UI controls in place. Both have pretty much equally obvious side effects to fully terminating that process.
Yes I know explorer.exe is still running but the File Explorer app can be quit and I can still see the files on my desktop.
Why can't Apple give this as an option.

Windows considers file explorer to be an app and a Windows process.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
I wish people would read my whole post before letting their heads explode.

Running Windows, macOS and Linux on the same hardware, Windows is slowest in installing, updating, booting up and running major tasks.

The fact that you have to reboot after even the most minor of software updates is appalling.

Waking up from sleep is not booting up. My iMac wakes from sleep faster than the similarly powered Windows PC beside wakes up.

And nobody has answered my comment about the Registry. It is an abominable software structure that was an incompetent design when it first came out and has never improved. It is unsafe, insecure and unreliable. It was only ever an interim feature that was going to be dropped when Microsoft adopted Unix/Linux as its OS architecture. Which it is only not beginning to get around to, with WSL.

And nobody has answered my comment about Windows not integrating with a Home network. Windows doesn't browse a home network, you have to know the ID of the machine you are connecting to. macOS and Linux can browse a home network and connect to what ever Shares are available, whether they are SMB, AFP or NFS. And it is slower, again. When I do connect to a SMB share, Windows transfers files at 50~60 MByte/s at best, while with macOS and Linux I can max out my 1 Gbit network at upto 100 MBytes/s.

And why use Pages? I have been using word processing software since WordStar was the bees knees. Of all of them (including, but not limited to WordPerfect, MacWrite, Word versions 3~current, FullWrite, FrameMaker, AbiWord, LibreOffice Writer and WPS Office) Pages is the best all-round word processing program. WPS Office is a close second, followed by LibreOffice Writer. MS Word trails the field.

As I said, Windows is an enterprise OS, and should stay there. It is not suitable for a home OS.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Ok come on: Windows is a hot mess. And I’m speaking as someone who has owned a Mac since 2005 but used Windows professionally for over 20 years.

MS have deliberately prioritised compatibility - likely due to their corporate clients wanting to run applications last actively developed in the mid 00s (& peripherals from the same era with ageing drivers).

Therefore, it’s very unstable because MS deliberately keeps in the kludge to be able to do this.

Not to mention the constant security accident waiting to happen that Windows is, because of this.

Now let’s talk about the car crash that is the Windows UX.

You don’t have to look too hard to uncover UI from Windows 7 and even Windows XP

People who just run a web browser and Office (plus Notepad and the other Windows system utilities) everyday are going to encounter a bizzare set of inconsistent UIs on a daily basis.

After 5 years the old control panel and their tabbed pop-out Windows are still hanging around.

It does seem that MS are going to update the Windows in the fall - but they do have a habit of only half finishing projects like this...

I’ll concede one thing:

I’d be willing to accept that Big Sur isn’t as fast on intel hardware as Windows.

It’s obvious that all engineering optimisations will be going towards making macOS sing on M1 machines.

I doubt that Apple will be going that extra mile to wring out performance on particular discrete graphics card chipsets from Big Sur onwards.

Enjoy Windows though...

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
What are people honestly smoking? Not to be mean, but I have MacBook Air M1 and MSI Modern and Modern is so much faster in every way. It even wakes up from sleep instantly + is able to run any game and any task I throw at it. Even Cities Skylines starts up fast.
And no one uses pages. Not one person.

Reactions: Mendota and mi7chy

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
BIg difference in macOS and windows is you can actually remove telemetry in windows. In macOS it's there (don't kid yourself), and its hidden so you don't know it's there. You think apple is the savior of privacy? Come on. They are all the same, Apple just has a better marketing team. BSOD's are pretty well non existant for people who do not mess with their installs. I saw many more spinning beachballs of death on my macs, than BSODs. Grow up!

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
The colorful flavored drink with a cool mascot clouds ALOT of brains in the applesphere.
What are people honestly smoking? Not to be mean, but I have MacBook Air M1 and MSI Modern and Modern is so much faster in every way. It even wakes up from sleep instantly + is able to run any game and any task I throw at it. Even Cities Skylines starts up fast.
And no one uses pages. Not one person.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Reading all of this I feel as if I’m back in 2007 again.
If you are using MacOS/Osx it is as if you are in 2007. I had a 2007 macbook I sold about a month ago, and my son's macbook air OS is exactly the same really. He was on catalina at the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.