Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Windows is such a fragmented zombie of decades old parts and newer components Microsoft stopped working on in the middle of completion. I seriously hate it after using it for a year and the moment I can, I'll be gone again.

I like the WSL (linux subsystem) and it's the only thing that didn't make me switch back immediately.

I have to agree that Windows feels faster. A Mac always takes it's time. I think the fastest is a well running Linux distro though.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
This is already another one of those threads where everyone praises 'their' OS, and attacks opposing opinions? This will be fun :D

P.S.
Just use whatever you like. As simple as that.
But with that said, I find Finder to be lacking (but easily fixable with xtraFinder or totalfinder), but Explorer is a complete mess. Worst file browser I have ever used in my life. Now this is just my subjective point of view, nothing more, nothing less :)

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I have to agree that Windows feels faster. A Mac always takes it's time. I think the fastest is a well running Linux distro though.
It's simple. Animations on MacOS take their sweet time. On Windows they are faster, so Windows does feel faster. This is easy to see on Linux, where you can tweak those things. Or even on Android. Want it to look and behave fancy? Slow down animations. Speed? Speed up animations :)

Reactions: 09872738

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
A number of posts were removed due to rules violations.

Just as a reminder please be respectful and civil, everyone has a right to their opinion and there's no reason to take another person's computer/software choices personally

MacRumors Rules for Appropriate Debate:
Respect
Guidelines: Show respect for your fellow posters. Expect and accept that other users may have strongly held opinions that differ from yours. In other words, basic human courtesy.

Rules:
  1. Name-calling. Name-calling falls into the category of insults and will be treated as such according to the forum rules, your own opinion about another member notwithstanding. You can't call a bigot a bigot, a troll a troll, or a fanboy a fanboy, any more than you can call an idiot an idiot. You can disagree with the content of another member's statement or give your evidence or opinion to dispute their claims, but you may not make a negative personal characterization about that member.
  2. Hate speech and group slurs. We prohibit discrimination, abuse, threats or prejudice against a particular group, for example based on race, gender, religion or sexual orientation, in a way that a reasonable person would find offensive.
  3. Taunting. Mocking or taunting another forum member is not acceptable. Posts that ridicule another member or obviously exaggerate or misstate their views (including purposely mis-quoting them) may be removed.

Kung gu

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
As I said, Windows is an enterprise OS, and should stay there. It is not suitable for a home OS.
Not only most of world uses windows but gamers, students in High School and University, Government(Federal and local), enterprise and video professionals.

If windows can handle all those fields I think it can usable in a home.

Let's see where macOS is good at video editing and photo editing and that's it. Windows is better in games, for schools,
enterprise and Government.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Not only most of world uses windows but gamers, students in High School and University, Government(Federal and local), enterprise and video professionals.

Let's see where macOS is good at video editing and photo editing and that's it. Windows is better in games, for schools,
It's also a great development platform. Much better than Windows at least. (unless you are into Windows development of course)

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020

Acutally MacOS and Windows are on par with each other when it comes to photo and video editing. The Intel macs and PCs are pretty well the same. Same software, hardware. M1 can't do heavy video or photo editing worth a darn. It's not powerful enough contrary to claims of it being able to power the spaceX rocket into space without help.

Reactions: Mendota

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It's also a great development platform. Much better than Windows at least. (unless you are into Windows development of course)
WSL actually has evened that playing field. You're running Linux within Windows and have access to tools that were previously only available to Mac/Linux users.

I'm sorry, but why do you want to quit the finder? Why would you want to do that?
The Finder is horrible, especially compared to what is available in other platforms and also third party options on macOS

Reactions: Mendota

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
WSL actually has evened that playing field. You're running Linux within Windows and have access to tools that were previously only available to Mac/Linux users.

The Finder is horrible, especially compared to what is available in other platforms and also third party options on macOS
And what's sooo horrible about the Finder?

Reactions: hlfway2anywhere

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
And what's sooo horrible about the Finder?
File management pure and simple. With the lack of a tree view pane, it makes moving/coping files more difficult. lack of cut/paste. When sorting by kind, directories are not at the top (in macOS). Accessing shares or even creating shares are more awkward. I can quickly and easily access a file path by typing it in, instead of needing to manually navigate, i.e., select click, select click, select click. This becomes a pain especially when dealing with a long and deep directory structure. I can cut the path for pasting for different purposes, documents, cmd/power shells, text editor.

Its personal preference but I usually work with complex file structures and shares, and the Finder slows me down.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Im not surprised that windows 20H2 is more responsive on a intel MacBook than Big Sur since that OS is designed for ARM chips
What makes Windows superior to macOS when it can't even run Pages?
I can use Pages and Numbers files in Libre Office, and visa-wersa on the Dell XPS and the iPad or MacBook.
last week i installed a new ssd card, and the windows 20H2 usb boot took several minutes were i was able to use the laptop. Windows20H2 with Edge blocks more harmful websites and filters tracking better than Mojave on Safari.
there are other points that effected older versions of windows im not defending out of "dead horse"
but for windows 20H2, this aint your older brother's windows system- thank the makers!

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
lack of cut/paste.
cmd+C then option+CMD+V will move the file

When sorting by kind, directories are not at the top (in macOS).
Finder > Preferences > Advanced > Click on "Keep folders on top in windows when sorting by name"

I can quickly and easily access a file path by typing it in, instead of needing to manually navigate,
go to folder shift+cmd+G

go to folder.jpg

I can cut the path for pasting for different purposes, documents, cmd/power shells, text editor.
cmd+C on the file or folder then cmd+V in terminal pastes the path

in text edit it will just paste the icon or filename.

alt+cmd+P show path bar when you right click on path bar you get the option to copy as pathname

path name.jpg

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I keep AMD graphics always on Big Sur
is this an external drive or separate graphic card than can boost a MacBook?
i skimmed the surface on these 2 years ago, but lost interest in this topic, as the rest of the computer world.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
(tongue in cheekly)
people use cmd-ctrl as much as Pages,
2 taps or right click to select "copy",
same gesture to "paste"
in both platforms-

get with the program peoples!

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
File management pure and simple. With the lack of a tree view pane, it makes moving/coping files more difficult. lack of cut/paste. When sorting by kind, directories are not at the top (in macOS). Accessing shares or even creating shares are more awkward. I can quickly and easily access a file path by typing it in, instead of needing to manually navigate, i.e., select click, select click, select click. This becomes a pain especially when dealing with a long and deep directory structure. I can cut the path for pasting for different purposes, documents, cmd/power shells, text editor.

Its personal preference but I usually work with complex file structures and shares, and the Finder slows me down.
I'm not a pro-power-file-manager-user so pardon my ignorance, but where do I find a "directory" in the Finder? I just have folders and files. ?

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015

Until you need to access the files inside the WSL distro with any kind of UI that's not Visual Studio Code (which works great). Then you have to deal with an XServer running in Windows and all kind of issues. Meh, it's clearly not a finished product yet.
Microsoft is also really slow with adding new features to WSL. I'm pretty sure that I'll have left the ship when they finally ship an alpha version of the native gui support. :/

Reactions: c0ppo

brio

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2021
France & Luxembourg
I’ve been there my friend... several times! But I keep crawling back to Apple. And I always loose a lot of money during those Windows-is-better crysis! Make yourself a favor: go breath some fresh air and think twice about what you’ll be doing and getting: blue screens, broken updates (even on Surface product lines... had a SP7 and SB3, both of them returned), very slow filesystem (NTFS is like 20 years old, almost never updated... and sometime corrupt!), less-than-unified UI (gray windows bar, white menu, partial dark themes, ...), telemetry everywhere, awful applications frameworks (UWP, Win32, W10X, ...), broken system-search features, very bad Windows Market, saturated file manager menus, horrible icons, bad memory management - I mean really bad, locked filesystem when you try to eject your external devices, unsecured BitLocker keys management, awful settings management, not one not two but three terminals, not one but two settings manager, not one but two task & process managers, ... what a load of c**** seriously. And honestly - special needs apart - I don’t see any reason why to switch to Windows: macOS application implementations are just way more efficient and qualitative.

Reactions: hlfway2anywhere

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
I have an M1 mini
I like that the software hardware thing is simpatico
I write letters using Pages - Its Already Installed IAI
I keep track of house finances on Numbers -IAI
I make home movies and YouTube clips on iMovie - IAI
I like to look at the photos I’ve taken on my phone using Photos - IAI
I like to watch movies on AppleTV that I have bought -IAI
Occasionally I like to code apps for my phone on Xcode- INAI but free!

Windows is lovely I’m sure but you really have to spend some time and effort to find the software you want.
Office 365 represents the biggest software rape of the entire world. Millions paying for a word processor (thirty years old) every year!!

Last edited:

embotix

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2016
Hey OP, I think you might want to check out this other thread --- in the latest posts, you'll see that someone did some crazy digging and data collection and figured out that the 16" MBPs that were having these weird issues seem to have been isolated to a particular manufacturing batch. Perhaps you're in the affected batch? I was -- thankfully I returned my 16" MBP during its original return window way back during the initial launch.

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I’ve been there my friend... several times! But I keep crawling back to Apple
blue screens, broken updates (even on Surface product line....
that depends on what manufactures' crap is running windows, could be a bad, cheap computer.
apple seems more stable because that osx only runs on  computers.

ceharrin

macrumors newbie
Interesting. I do wish my experience on Windows 10 via Bootcamp was like yours. While I spend most of my time on the Mac side, I do like to occasionally game and while there are games for the Mac, there are more on Windows.

I have 2019 MB Pro 16in w/16gb, 1TB and 2.3ghz I9. And I have my complaints about Mac OS as well.

When I boot into Windows 10, it does boot rather quickly. I haven't timed it and I rarely reboot my Mac so this is my subjective opinion.

The endless updates windows requires is somewhat painful and brings back memories from when Windows was my full time OS.

While I don't believe Apple's battery life times when using my Mac, the battery drains rather quickly (3-4 hrs) when developing, zoom and so on. However I can literally watch the battery drain when in Windows. Perhaps I need to optimize my settings but out of the box, Windows sucks the life out of my Mac. If I can get 2 hrs on my battery alone I consider if a good thing (under Windows).

The heat! Wow I know my Mac heats up under load when running under Mac OS but it is hot as hell when running Windows. Again doesn't need to be doing much and perhaps I need to review my settings but still. Wow.

And what is it with the Windows 95 dialogs underneath the pretty exterior? It's amusing when I recall using Win 95 when it was new and those dialogs were something else.

Regardless, I will remain with Mac but would prefer a better Windows experience in Bootcamp. Beyond what I mentioned above, I find it laggy, slow and the UI is off putting. Of course that is subjective as well. I have considered getting a Dell XPS - Some comments within these forums indicate that Apple reduces Windows performance under Bootcamp cuz well windows. Who knows.

Enjoy Windows on a Mac or other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.