Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aguymac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2020

Core i3 is more expensive than (seemingly) similarly spec'd core i5? Clearly, I don't get it, hah.

AMD seems to be consistently higher in price than intel based, duno why.

Dell has a 72 hour sale on, I can't tell if any better than the deals at Lenovo. Seems not (not for what I'm looking for anyways).

Id build my own, with guidance of course, but from everything I'm hearing, parts are not available, or insanely marked up.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Core i3 is more expensive than (seemingly) similarly spec'd core i5? Clearly, I don't get it, hah.
I really didn't look too much into the site, but its possible the i5 is on sale, and has more incentives then the i3 and thus its less expensive.

Also the link provided is a mixture of models some on clearance and others not.

Reactions: Aguymac

Aguymac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2020
Thanks, everyone who suggested options to look into. I finally chose something, and received it just recently.

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
There is a new Alienware Laptop upcoming, featuring Ryzens along with 30s. Looks interesting to me

Last edited:

Aguymac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2020
What did you end up with?
I ordered a new lenovo pc (tower), not specifically for me though. A laptop wouldn't suit them (older, want external monitor).
And are you happy with it? Don't keep us in the dark :cool:
Well, it has Malwindows 10, so the threshold for happiness is low. But yea, it's good. I've never even used the 2.5 ssd in my mbp, so it seems very quick. lenovo.ca has had some pretty good deals on for the last few weeks.
I'm gonna get my mbp sorted out. I might pick up a used/refurbished thinkpad.

Aguymac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2020
Instant Regret...

So, I got a used Thinkpad. I've spent more time trying to solve "software"(?) issues in the past few days, than the entire ownership period of my mbp (9 years). The only software issue (which I think was a hardware issue, possibly related to the amd gpu - the first time it started failing) I had was a kernel task issue.

It's been at least 10 years since I've *owned* a windows machine. My only, rare, experiences with them in that period was trying to help someone who owned one figure something out, and it's always a nightmare.
Anyways, I've watched several videos to try and educate myself on the *very basics* of windows drivers (what they are, etc.). I've also searched for threads regarding the issues I'm encountering, using terms a names associated with the issues, and as usual, there are 20 people, suggesting 20 different "fixes" of which none of work - or I realize while reading step 2 of 9 that I can't follow it because I'm not seeing what they're suggesting to find/select (because it's not there). eg: potential fix #13 suggests go find your 'sd card hardware/driver section in the device manager'...etc., but there *isn't one anywhere to be found, at all*.

Before I share any specifics, is anyone willing or interested in trying to provide some guidance/assistance? Or should I go register at a thinkpad forum or something else? Thanks.

Sitting down, searching for "fixes" for 4+ hour sessions at a time, wasting literally days of time and not getting anywhere makes me want to chalk this up to "I lost $xxx.xx somewhere and I'll just have to accept it". Excruciating.
PS: Even the brand new ideacenter I got for a relative has had one freeze up where audio weirdness started happening and I had to hard shutdown the pc. Honestly, it's infuriating.

Thanks for any advice.

Edit: I will quickly ask this question though.. If I'm trying to fix an issue that I think might be (can't even tell!) driver related, and the component/piece of hardware doesn't even come up in the device manager (not in any category, let alone where it *should be* - I think, no specific category of it's own, no specific device/component), then would downloading *a* driver for said component even do anything to solve the issue? I say *a" driver, because it may not be the correct one...

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there

Aguymac

hope this helps:
after installing a new SSD drive on a dell XPS April2, 2021
their website scanned for driver updates, and installed all the necessary drivers and everything worked very easily.
that thinkpad site (IBM or Lenovo) should have the proper drivers even they are for an older laptop.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
On Lenovo's support page, you plug in your serial number and it takes you to the model's page with documentation, drivers, etc. The systems hard drive/SSD may also have a restoration partition where you can re-image it to the factory image. You can also probably order a restoration CD/USB from Lenovo for a small fee.

The device manager should have the SD card reader listed. If it does, it should find the driver. If the device manager lists all devices but that, with no errors, then the reader may very well be inoperative. Windows really does not have a lot of driver issues these days. You may have a hardware issue. But hit the support page for that system and run the driver installers. Shouldn't take long. If there is a Lenovo Vantage program listed in the utilities, load that for sure. It really helps keeping the system up to date.

Thinkpads are business class machines and have great support, including very good driver support. If you had an Ideapad I wouldn't have responded. ;)

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Instant Regret...

So, I got a used Thinkpad. I've spent more time trying to solve "software"(?) issues in the past few days, than the entire ownership period of my mbp (9 years). The only software issue (which I think was a hardware issue, possibly related to the amd gpu - the first time it started failing) I had was a kernel task issue.

It's been at least 10 years since I've *owned* a windows machine. My only, rare, experiences with them in that period was trying to help someone who owned one figure something out, and it's always a nightmare.
Anyways, I've watched several videos to try and educate myself on the *very basics* of windows drivers (what they are, etc.). I've also searched for threads regarding the issues I'm encountering, using terms a names associated with the issues, and as usual, there are 20 people, suggesting 20 different "fixes" of which none of work - or I realize while reading step 2 of 9 that I can't follow it because I'm not seeing what they're suggesting to find/select (because it's not there). eg: potential fix #13 suggests go find your 'sd card hardware/driver section in the device manager'...etc., but there *isn't one anywhere to be found, at all*.

Before I share any specifics, is anyone willing or interested in trying to provide some guidance/assistance? Or should I go register at a thinkpad forum or something else? Thanks.

Sitting down, searching for "fixes" for 4+ hour sessions at a time, wasting literally days of time and not getting anywhere makes me want to chalk this up to "I lost $xxx.xx somewhere and I'll just have to accept it". Excruciating.
PS: Even the brand new ideacenter I got for a relative has had one freeze up where audio weirdness started happening and I had to hard shutdown the pc. Honestly, it's infuriating.

Thanks for any advice.

Edit: I will quickly ask this question though.. If I'm trying to fix an issue that I think might be (can't even tell!) driver related, and the component/piece of hardware doesn't even come up in the device manager (not in any category, let alone where it *should be* - I think, no specific category of it's own, no specific device/component), then would downloading *a* driver for said component even do anything to solve the issue? I say *a" driver, because it may not be the correct one...
The last time I had a driver issue was windows 98 based computers. Since then, every machine I have ever had windows installed on from XP to 10 all found all the drivers just as mac does. I don't know if something happend with the install of windows. Maybe do a windows repair and it should come up.

Aguymac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2020
On Lenovo's support page, you plug in your serial number and it takes you to the model's page with documentation, drivers, etc. The systems hard drive/SSD may also have a restoration partition where you can re-image it to the factory image. You can also probably order a restoration CD/USB from Lenovo for a small fee.

The device manager should have the SD card reader listed. If it does, it should find the driver. If the device manager lists all devices but that, with no errors, then the reader may very well be inoperative. Windows really does not have a lot of driver issues these days. You may have a hardware issue. But hit the support page for that system and run the driver installers. Shouldn't take long. If there is a Lenovo Vantage program listed in the utilities, load that for sure. It really helps keeping the system up to date.

Thinkpads are business class machines and have great support, including very good driver support. If you had an Ideapad I wouldn't have responded. ;)
Any of the "automated" troubleshooting or driver search software/processes have been completely useless. I've never once had them find anything (neither on the pc, nor searching online.)
Lenovo vantage says it's all up to date. The automated search on lenovo website support also said the same. Windows update was run first, and it's up to date.
Lenovo system update is also useless; not doing anything.

I had to use the "Manual" option on the lenovo support website to have it even show me what drivers are available, because when entering machine type/model number and allowing it to automatically "scan" it says everything's good. Clearly, everything is not good.

Device manager is incredibly non-intuitive to use, for me anyway, but like I said, it's been quite a long time since I've used it. One problem is, even *IF* it points to a certain component or area as having a *potential* issue, the "name" or terminology (or part, or part's "model number, or whatever it's listed as) is often meaningless - I mean, it's not just telling you in plain english what the "thing" is.

Anyway, the seller said it works/worked. He did a "clean install" (from usb, I think) to the ssd. He recommended I do that over though, and re-do drivers, etc. So now I need to figure that out (ie: how to do it), and just had to find powershell scripts to even get the license key (just so I know it, in case), wow.

I did find something in device manager -finally- that is card reader related, and of course, it doesn't appear to show anything wrong (no triangle with exclamation point, which doesn't mean it's working though - neither does "device working properly" mean the device is actually working properly).
The card reader driver isn't anywhere in DM where any of the many "fix" threads or vids said it should or would be. It's in IEEE 1934 host controllers or something (not looking at it right now).
It shows no issues... I click it: "device working properly"... I go to properties, I choose update driver, I choose search this computer/browse, and let me choose from available, I choose the one with the same name, it says it's done it, or that it's already up to date. And I'm back at square one.
Infuriating.

I have other "ideas", but to annoyed right now.

Thanks for your replie(s)

Aguymac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2020
The last time I had a driver issue was windows 98 based computers. Since then, every machine I have ever had windows installed on from XP to 10 all found all the drivers just as mac does. I don't know if something happend with the install of windows. Maybe do a windows repair and it should come up.
Have a good link for a well done "walkthrough" on a clean usb install of windows?

Things I'm not sure of: This thinkpad came with windows 8 I think, but now it has windows 10 pro on it. I used a powershell command/script I had to look up and copy/paste, to try and get windows license key. Don't know if I need it, and if I do clean usb install of win. will it be win 8, then I'll have to "update" to 10 pro...again?

Aguymac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2020
I'll list all the device manager "flags" a bit later.

Thanks.

BTW: This is the lenovo support site where I (manually) found potential drivers for all components. Went to "camera and card reader" and removed the "windows 10" filter: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/...er-list/component?name=Camera and Card Reader

1) Richo Media - windows 10...
2) SmartCard reader - windows 10...

Richo is is what's found in device manager...

Last edited:

Aguymac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2020

Aguymac

hope this helps:
after installing a new SSD drive on a dell XPS April2, 2021
their website scanned for driver updates, and installed all the necessary drivers and everything worked very easily.
that thinkpad site (IBM or Lenovo) should have the proper drivers even they are for an older laptop.
Did you do all the windows updates first? Something I read (lenovo related) said to do windows update before doing "lenovo specific updates" (meaning with their updating software(s). So I did. The lenovo software doesn't find anything.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Did you do all the windows updates first? Something I read (lenovo related) said to do windows update before doing "lenovo specific updates" (meaning with their updating software(s). So I did. The lenovo software doesn't find anything.
The windows 10 version was from a thumb drive.
if this helps your situation, which seems frustrating, just keep on searching and asking!

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Have a good link for a well done "walkthrough" on a clean usb install of windows?

Things I'm not sure of: This thinkpad came with windows 8 I think, but now it has windows 10 pro on it. I used a powershell command/script I had to look up and copy/paste, to try and get windows license key. Don't know if I need it, and if I do clean usb install of win. will it be win 8, then I'll have to "update" to 10 pro...again?
just goto microsofts website and download the usb installer. Done. You install from that as a clean install. If your computer has 10 on it now, there is code on your drive to let them know your computer has 10 on it and it will activate automatically.

Aguymac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2020
A few pics below -- If this has become more of a "help" thread, and too off topic, let me know (mods or whoever) and I'll move or delete the post(s).

I came across a vid/post about the "Base System Device" and it actually mentioned card reader... I followed part of it - I went to device manager, selected base system device-properties-details- and looked at "hardware ids", copied and pasted the top "id" number and searched web for it - ricoh card reader came up as a result...

@Steve Adams (or anybody), I've realized there's definitely more to the usb install of windows (depending what computer, and how old it is, previous setup, etc?) than just downloading the windows media creation tool, as I figured/knew there was. ie: looking around in my bios, it seems like if I'd just tried it would not have worked and I probably would have had to make some changes in the bios, or maybe ended up in a boot loop.

-UEFI secure boot is 'on'.
-"secure boot" is enabled (security tab).
-(startup tab) uefi/legacy boot is set to "uefi only", and CSM support is "no" (with the note of "unselectable for secure boot".
-boot mode is "quick" (duno if this option matters).
-(startup tab, boot item menu selected) it's in order of 1. windows boot manager 2. usb cd (...what? a usb cd?) 3. usb fdd (...what?) 4. atapi cd0 plds dvd-rw (guess this is dvd drive) 5. ata hdd0 samsung blah blah (ssd drive, with windows on it) 6. ata hdd1 (nothing there) 7. ata hdd2 (nothing there 8. usb hdd (nothing there) 9. pci lan 10. atapi cd1 (nothing there) 11. ata hdd3 (nothing there).

I duno why numbers .6 - .11 are even listed seeing as nothing is there/connected. I get why ata hdd0 is there, that's where an actual device (samsung ssd) is connected, but why hdd1, hdd2, and hdd3? Used to have something?

Anyway, which do I move to the top of the list (for a usb flashdrive/thumb drive)? And do I move it above windows boot manager?
I've checked a couple videos and have an idea of what I need to change, but for the sake of communication, I thought I'd ask here - where someone can answer. I'll get the media creation tool/drive done later though.

Thanks.

Control Panel - Devices And Printers - THINKPAD-W530 - Errors.PNG Device Manager - Issues - Screenshot.PNG IEEE 1394 - Ricoh OHCI (Card Reader).PNG

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
In addition to my M1 Air, I have a 2019 Thinkpad T490s, i7 processor, 16gb RAM, 500GB hard drive, 1080p 14" screen, ports ports ports. Bought it at Costco for $999. Great little computer!! Much better keyboard than anything Apple has ever put out. Lenovo Outlet also has similar/better deals than what I paid. Check it out.

Aguymac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2020
In addition to my M1 Air, I have a 2019 Thinkpad T490s, i7 processor, 16gb RAM, 500GB hard drive, 1080p 14" screen, ports ports ports. Bought it at Costco for $999. Great little computer!! Much better keyboard than anything Apple has ever put out. Lenovo Outlet also has similar/better deals than what I paid. Check it out.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I got a used w530.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I have never had an issue just creating the install usb drive and loading it on my systems. The drive numbers probably mean that your HDD or SSD have partitions on it. If it's the factory drive that has not been formatted it's different safe boot options and restore "drives". But as for the USB install, I have installed brand new SSD and used it to install windows and load from that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.