Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Dell seems to be doing things that are not consumer friendly and there may be a class action suit

Plus GamerNexus in buying a gaming PC from dell was very critical

Linus ran into issues buying a dell where they snuck charges/subscriptions into the invoice even though they specifically asked not too, and GN basically had similar issues.

• Wow
Reactions: Aguymac

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Dell was my go-to company for PCs up until 2008 when I switched over to MacBooks. I still buy only Dell Ultrasharp monitors. Lately I've gone to building my own as I can guarantee quality parts that way and I can make design decisions about future expansion vs cost.

I hope that they can fix their problems; every company goes through rough patches. I looked at AlienWare PCs because I wanted a Ryzen 5900 but I had concerns about the case that they used and the cooling available.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
do i nave to watch that dude tell me how bad my Dell XPS 9380 is?
(when I know this is all I need, and a surface go)

i knew about the bloatware and something else reported in Mid May, but regarded that little concern to me then.
Dell has horrible customer service and kiss-assiness but makes up for that in building great laptops.
i tired purchasing a laiti-dude laptop but the bank we used rejected the online order, then 3 days later some thick accented dude tried to...tried to, who knows what he was trying to say, then the non response email.

Reactions: Steve Adams

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
do i nave to watch that dude tell me how bad my Dell XPS 9380 is?
(when I know this is all I need, and a surface go)

i knew about the bloatware and something else reported in Mid May, but regarded that little concern to me then.
Dell has horrible customer service and kiss-assiness but makes up for that in building great laptops.
i tired purchasing a laiti-dude laptop but the bank we used rejected the online order, then 3 days later some thick accented dude tried to...tried to, who knows what he was trying to say, then the non response email.

I've looked at the XPS desktops and that swing-out design has me thinking moving parts eventually fail. I really would prefer a larger case as well for better airflow. The 8th through 11th gen Intel CPUs are power-hungry and the stock cooler is generally awful. I prefer cool-running systems, CPUs and GPUs for longevity.

That said, my Dell Studio XPS from 2008 still runs reasonably well.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
My xps 8940 special edition is awesome. The cooling is woefully bad. But that's an easy fix with the noctua U9S cooler that bolt directly to dells mounting. To make it more silent, I added a noctua 92mm fan in the rear. Temps are good and the box is silent now. I have upgraded my xps with 128gb of ram, a 500gb ssd, 1tb ssd, a 4tb NVME and a 14tb HDD.

On the notebook side of things I go with inspiron 5000s. I get 90 percent of what the xps has, but I can upgrade ram, SSD and still have money in the bank. My 5406 2 in 1 I have upgraded to 64gb of ram and a 4tb NVME. I also like the inspiron for port selection without the need for silly dongles. I have a full sized SD reader which is important to me for my cameras. I have a USB-C dual NVME enclosure with a 500gb and 1tb NVME in it, and a 4tb HDD in a seperate enclosure for on location work. I love the 2 in 1 form factor with inking. The 5402 is basically the same without the touch interface and 2 in 1. I find it funny Dell keeps their inspiron like upgradable but the XPS line is not.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Dell XPS, HP Envy or Spectre, Lenovo ThinkPad, Asus ZenBook, Huawei MateBook, Surface Laptop...all are very nice, MacBook-like designs.
HP Envy line is the fashion centric not the best reliability or performance. EliteBook is their business enterprise focused lineup - best performance & warranty options (head to head with Lenovo ThinkPad T series), and HP ZBook is their top line workstation and creative models - casing design follows their EliteBook 840 13-15” screen size in design but squeezes in full dedicated GPUs.

if ever considering a 2-in-1 remember HO has been at that for over 14yrs and have the scars of mistakes learned and I’d say for laptops/tablets they’re the best in the business even compared to the Surface Book pros.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I would just go with Dell because I bought Dell up to 2008 when I went Mac. Dell's models from 2000-2008 were quite good. I have heard that things aren't so good right now but I'd have to find out for myself. The thing is that Apple Silicon may be so good that I only get Apple laptops in the future. That massive performance per watt advantage is hard to ignore.

I had a look at a few videos on Zen 4. The Zen 3 5950X has 105 Watts TDP. The spec sheets for the 6950X shows 170 Watts TDP. I remember 130 Watt TDPs a long time ago. I imagine that the 6950X will have a huge performance improvement over the 5950X but 170 Watts? How about going in the other direction? I thought that's what process shrinks gave you.

My understanding is that Zen 4 is supposed to be great but it's something that I'd consider for desktops unless AMD can greatly improve performance per watt. It sounds like Intel and AMD aren't really going this route as Intel and AMD really view each other as their competition with Apple only occupying a niche computing area.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I would just go with Dell because I bought Dell up to 2008 when I went Mac. Dell's models from 2000-2008 were quite good. I have heard that things aren't so good right now but I'd have to find out for myself. The thing is that Apple Silicon may be so good that I only get Apple laptops in the future. That massive performance per watt advantage is hard to ignore.

I had a look at a few videos on Zen 4. The Zen 3 5950X has 105 Watts TDP. The spec sheets for the 6950X shows 170 Watts TDP. I remember 130 Watt TDPs a long time ago. I imagine that the 6950X will have a huge performance improvement over the 5950X but 170 Watts? How about going in the other direction? I thought that's what process shrinks gave you.

My understanding is that Zen 4 is supposed to be great but it's something that I'd consider for desktops unless AMD can greatly improve performance per watt. It sounds like Intel and AMD aren't really going this route as Intel and AMD really view each other as their competition with Apple only occupying a niche computing area.
The 5950x TDP isn't accurate. I believe it should actually be shown as 140-150W. MY 5900X will happily pull 140W under full load.

I am not sure why, but only the EPYC and Threadripper lines actually stick to the rated TDP for power draw.

Aguymac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2020
I have a thinkpad W530. And I have this Logitech surround: https://download01.logitech.com/support/13099.1.0.pdf (this is a manual).
I can't figure out how to get audio from the thinkpad to the home theater.

On mbp, I use a single optical cable, from the mac's 3.5mm headphone out port, to the optical in port of the HT. (One end of this cable is standard optical cord shaped, the other is like a headphone male piece - but it's an optical cable.
This doesn't work on the thinkpad.

The HT also has a digital coax input, and a 3 port (green, orange, black) 3.5mm in setup (front l/r, rear l/r, and sub, I think).
I tried to use a 3.5mm male to dual rca (red and black) but immediately realized - oh yea, there is no rca connections on the HT control pod.

Sorry if I'm using the wrong terms, it's been a WHILE. The audio on the thinkpad is utter *garbage*. On max volume, it's a whisper.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

170W is what AM5 socket can provide.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've been looking into lenovo thinkpads actually. It's shocking how the majority of laptops (current, recent) are total garbage.

Been watching some of Louis Rossman's videos (this man understands/shares the mentality that form follows function, and actually talks about a computer/device from the stand point of actually using it - ie: user interface, performance, ergonomics like keyboard and trackpad, etc.), and also some other very informative channels and videos on them, like sebi's random tech.

As far as 'older model' (that you can get inside of and swap parts, and have something closer to the full keyboard experience) I *think* these are the three options (at least in the T series):
-T420
-T430
-T440p (this one I think was when the keyboard, and maybe the trackpad started to change, can't remember)

Now, there was one video where Louis compared a thinkpad to a macbook pro (the changes, the keyboard differences) and now that I think of it, the changes in the lenovo keyboard that he was comparing to the mac actually seemed to be similar with the mac - and that's a keyboard I like (late 2011 mbp keyboard) so if some of the slightly "newer" models of thinkpad have that keyboard, I'd be happy with that actually!
I think it's similar to the keyboard on the model thinkpad you just linked to, @pshufd

If anyone is in canada, and know what the reputable online computer retailers are, please share some links with me.
I might pick up on of those older models I listed off ebay (refurbished, I don't know that I have time to take a chance on an "as is" listing, and then trying to find parts. Though, I will need to make sure I get whatever other parts I can/need at the same time in order to bring it up to desire specs - at least 16gb ram, and probably a new ssd).

Thanks for any help with this.

Edit: what is the "p" at the end of the thinkpad models?
Oh, and I wonder why there's not much mention of the "P" series (unrelated to the above "p" in the model name...). Rossman mentioned that he like that P50, and P51/P52 I think. But no mention in other "recommendation videos.

Lenovo ThinkPad P series are “professional lineup - portable workstations like the P50/51/etc.

Lenovo ThinkPad T440 is very old but same keyboard Preet tu much up until the T470S (S for slim)

Looking up reputable sellers online of course is NewEgg, BestBuy (most expensive) and Compucon and corporate retailers that only source them. Better than retail pricing especially when new models are announced. Old stock gets significant discount to clear inventory. that’s why you see lots on EBAy ;)

Aguymac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2020
Lenovo ThinkPad P series are “professional lineup - portable workstations like the P50/51/etc.

Lenovo ThinkPad T440 is very old but same keyboard Preet tu much up until the T470S (S for slim)

Looking up reputable sellers online of course is NewEgg, BestBuy (most expensive) and Compucon and corporate retailers that only source them. Better than retail pricing especially when new models are announced. Old stock gets significant discount to clear inventory. that’s why you see lots on EBAy ;)
I did get a thinkpad. Did you see my post from just yesterday? (Soliciting assistance for yet another issue unrelated to the original thread post. Hahaha).

Thanks dude.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
I have (had at the moment) a late 2011 mbp, top specs, etc. But I've wanted/needed a windows machine for a while, and now it's even more needed.

What can I get that won't feel like a massive downgrade?
I don't have $2500 for a new mbp.

I love the hardware of the the 2011 mbp, the keys, their layout, the trackpad and its gestures that work so well, the trackpads placement, etc.

I don't want one of those POS windows laptops you can get at shoppers drug mart with points you've saved up for the past couple years (a relative has one, lol). The screens are utter trash on them as well.

I'm not sure where to start, what brand/manufacturer even, hp? Dell? (Acer seems to only make toys?) Lenovo?

Surfing (with silly amount of open tabs), streaming (UL. DL), word processing/email, the odd use of handbrake, or basic photo editor software, using an external monitor (along with main screen) constantly. That's more or less my needs.

Thanks for any recommendations.
(edit, typo).
Clueless why you don't snag the M1 MacBook Air.

Reactions: pshufd

Aguymac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2020
Clueless why you don't snag the M1 MacBook Air.
1) Not a windows machine.
2) The 8 core starts at $1650 CAD, make it 16GB RAM and it's $1900 CAD. The 7 core starts at $1300, make it 16GB RAM and 512GB storage (the minimum I'd ever want), and it's now $1800 CAD.
3) It's a 13 inch screen.
4) It's "new" tech (the M1 chip). I don't like being an "early adopter".

I think there were clues throughout the thread, though.

Aguymac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2020
Probably easiest to just buy a USB sound-card with optical out.
Interesting. I used to have a soundblaster external sound card (they used a marketing work instead) that was a kit that came with "gaming" headset, like a decade ago. I think I gave it away long ago.
Do you have a particular suggestion? I think I remember having output options with the device (like, 3.5mm out, optical out, maybe one more).

Thank you.

Aguymac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2020
If anyone comes across my posts in here about the Thinkpad W530 Driver problems, I "solved" them (or two of the three that are really needed), and can link to the drivers/files needed and try to help out there.

Thanks.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I was offered FREE my own forever MacBook Pro or Air M1 new, not opened shipped to my house
from where i freelance.
obviously i said no.......for now

Dell has the worst customer service in the industry.
and if ya do "get a Dell" go through micro center of where ever laptops are sold.
the Dell XPS are worth the price.

Aguymac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2020
I was offered FREE my own forever MacBook Pro or Air M1 new, not opened shipped to my house
from where i freelance.
obviously i said no.......for now

Dell has the worst customer service in the industry.
and if ya do "get a Dell" go through micro center of where ever laptops are sold.
the Dell XPS are worth the price.
I got an old thinkpad. But thank you.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
bumping this...need some help. my wife needs to replace her old Acer laptop. it's for home use -- web, streaming, etc. I'm all mac and not familiar with the current PC offerings. trying to convince her to get an Air but despite her apple watch, iPhone and iPad, she's not ready to fully convert.

she could almost get away with a Chromebook but Im worried about her having her hands tied somewhere down the road.

so what's a decent windows machine that's between $500-$750?

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
bumping this...need some help. my wife needs to replace her old Acer laptop. it's for home use -- web, streaming, etc. I'm all mac and not familiar with the current PC offerings. trying to convince her to get an Air but despite her apple watch, iPhone and iPad, she's not ready to fully convert.

she could almost get away with a Chromebook but Im worried about her having her hands tied somewhere down the road.

An Air is around $1000,-. Why settle for a Windows machine between $500-$750?
If you want Apple quality expect to pay Apple prices for a Windows machine too. For $500-&750 you can not expect that.
LG Gram and Dell XPS both start around $1200,-.

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac and maflynn

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
An Air is around $1000,-. Why settle for a Windows machine between $500-$750?
If you want Apple quality expect to pay Apple prices for a Windows machine too. For $500-&750 you can not expect that.
LG Gram and Dell XPS both start around $1200,-.

you're preaching to the choir.

she was sending me like sub $500 machines to look at and i said they're junk. she really could get away with a Chromebook, except once and a while she'd need an actual file management system.

Reactions: AndyMacAndMic

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

Most laptops in that price range would be fine. Just make sure it has SSD with plenty of storage for her and at least 8GB of RAM. Careful on screen selections and make sure you get at least 1080p resolution. If color is important, you might want to make sure that the screen has 100% sRGB or at least 72% NTSC. There are OEMs slipping in inferior screens in this price range so watch out.

As for models, HP Envy/Spectre models are great. Alternative is Lenovo Yoga/Ideapad, as they tend to give you more bang for the buck.

If you want her to embrace the post-PC era, Samsung Galaxy Tab with a keyboard is actually not bad. I myself am replacing my old laptop with a Galaxy Tab S7FE. And imo it's more flexible than ChromeOS.

Reactions: kazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.