Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Discord is by far my favorite, then Slack. Its a bummer you don't like those, what do you use?
I hate discord, its a jumbled mess that is basically a texting app, and Slack never grabbed me.

My company uses teams, and like i said I'm no fan, but for work its manageable. At least with Teams, we can easily share files, collaborate on documents, do video conferencing, and work with calendars. Correct me if I'm wrong, but discord is basically a texting app, yes it can store files, and you have voice chats but its no where near as robust as Slack and Teams.

Also for gaming stuff, its horrid, Bethesda sun set its forum and lieu of Discord, and its basically a wild mess of people texting random things, instead of having any sense of organization and debates/dialogs. Maybe for in game stuff, Discord is fine, as you're playing and want to chat with a friend as you doing things, but for discussions outside of that, not so much

Reactions: JMacHack

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Affinity works perfect on my pc. Care to elaborate on the "works better" comment? I use it daily for work.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Affinity works perfect on my pc. Care to elaborate on the "works better" comment? I use it daily for work.

They could very well have improved it. I had general performance issues about a year ago. Comparing my $2,000 custom built PC to my $1,500 iMac, the Mac performed better with affinity photo and designer. I could have a lot more open and a lot more massive files open too.

Reactions: Steve Adams

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I have owned it for 2 years and never had an issue. I use all three of their software packages most every day. I also use polarr, resolve and cakewalk. All peices of software enable me to create anything. As mentioned, 10 years ago yes, apple had a better creative platform. Today that gap has closed. Also add in touch and my creative work flow is miles ahead of when I was using my Macs

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
VS code is amazing on Mac. Visual Studio not so much.
Yeah. Iss not really a fair comparison though, because the two are hardly even related. On the Mac, as I understand, its little more than a re-branded Ximian Studio. Its hardly VS

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I have owned it for 2 years and never had an issue. I use all three of their software packages most every day. I also use polarr, resolve and cakewalk. All peices of software enable me to create anything. As mentioned, 10 years ago yes, apple had a better creative platform. Today that gap has closed. Also add in touch and my creative work flow is miles ahead of when I was using my Macs

It was a widely reported issue at the time. It’s great that yours worked well!

Reactions: Steve Adams

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
The kernel panics have happened quite a lot. M1 Macs dont seem to be as amazing as people say they are on this forum.

Kernel panics are frequently hardware or driver related. That is to say, if you still want to track it down, I would check any old connected devices. Logs for these should be accessible through the console application.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hey!
My problem is that I have M1 MacBook Air and everybody's always telling how perfect it is and how perfect Apple's ecosystem is and everything syncs seamlessly and Macs never crash.
I went to sleep last night and my computer did absolutely nothing and I woke up to this:
View attachment 1796750

What happened. I don't know. Also, my MSI laptop is faster and it can play games that my MacBook can't. My MSI boots up faster, Visual Studio opens faster, Chrome opens faster and in general it's faster and Unity exports games faster.

What really made me post now is that Photos don't work on Mac. It doesn't sync all of the photos from my iPhone. I've been waiting and Googling for hours and the Mac Photos simply doesn't sync. It says it's up to date. I can see photos on my iPhone and on my iCloud, but they dont appear on my Mac's Photos app. I think Google Photos isn't any worse than iCloud Photos. For real. Even though I'm happy with my iPhone I feel like I would've been happy with Android too as I've been before. I just don't see this "seamless" and trouble free life that everyone's talking about while bashing Windows PCs here.
You're on a forum largely made up of Apple evangelists and apologists. You're going to get a lot of people bashing Windows without ever really getting to know and appreciate it and using canned lines like "but it has the registry!" (neverminding that for 98% of Windows users, the registry never needs to be interacted with and, in and of itself, doesn't cause issues, despite being a convoluted element) to bash Windows as being subpar or inferior when, in actuality, it has its place just as Macs and macOS does. Certainly Intel Macs are/were just PCs but with Apple firmware and designs. M1 and Apple Silicon at large DO sort of change that up a fair bit. But, the issues you're talking about here seem to be software based. And, as much as said evangelists will argue to the contrary, Apple's annual OS release cycle has brought with it a number of quality control issues. At best, every other OS release is stable. Though, it has been as bad as one in every three. Considering each version is only supported for three years, this is problematic and is apt to lead to the sorts of issues you are having here.

Furthermore, iCloud can be messy and certainly the Mac has had issues keeping in parity with iPadOS and iOS in terms of common features. Big Sur helped that along a fair bit, but not all the way.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
You're on a forum largely made up of Apple evangelists and apologists. You're going to get a lot of people bashing Windows without ever really getting to know and appreciate it and using canned lines like "but it has the registry!" (neverminding that for 98% of Windows users, the registry never needs to be interacted with and, in and of itself, doesn't cause issues, despite being a convoluted element) to bash Windows as being subpar or inferior when, in actuality, it has its place just as Macs and macOS does. Certainly Intel Macs are/were just PCs but with Apple firmware and designs. M1 and Apple Silicon at large DO sort of change that up a fair bit. But, the issues you're talking about here seem to be software based. And, as much as said evangelists will argue to the contrary, Apple's annual OS release cycle has brought with it a number of quality control issues. At best, every other OS release is stable. Though, it has been as bad as one in every three. Considering each version is only supported for three years, this is problematic and is apt to lead to the sorts of issues you are having here.

Furthermore, iCloud can be messy and certainly the Mac has had issues keeping in parity with iPadOS and iOS in terms of common features. Big Sur helped that along a fair bit, but not all the way.
I think this sub forum is actually pretty friendly and helpful for people interested in anything non Apple. ??

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
You're on a forum largely made up of Apple evangelists and apologists. You're going to get a lot of people bashing Windows without ever really getting to know and appreciate it and using canned lines like "but it has the registry!"
Insults and nonsense. Not the usual level of the forum

Reactions: grmlin

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
There are window laptops now getting 14 hour and 17 hour battery life now.
Well, why this is true the M1 MacBook Pro runs more than 20 hours at same adjustments (150 nit display brightness, etc.). And with similar specs (RAM, SSD size) the MacBook Pro seems to be cheaper than the Dell Latitude 9510. Oh, and the M1 seems to quite a bit faster than the Core i5 10210U/1.6 GHz in the battery runtime leader Dell Latitude 9510 too. ?

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
No they are indeed pretty solid.

That's debatable. M1 have a whole range of issues. Initially hubs that brick M1 devices. Excessive SSD wear. Palm rejection is still broken for me where I can move mouse pointer with both meaty parts of my palm. External displays that cause pink screen of death. It's picky with USB-C to HDMI dongles and display quality on the one that does work is substandard with unclear text and flickering at 4K while same dongle is fine on PC laptop. Then, there's new file corruption issue that someone just brought up. Overall it still feels like a beta product.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ssd-swap-high-usage-of-terabytes-written.2284893/post-30048332

Reactions: iHorseHead

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
But on the Apple front, we have to accept that MacOS wasn't written from the ground up for M1. I really don't know how much remains from earlier incarnations on different hardware? Any code left from Motorola? PowerPC?

OS X was a complete reset based on NeXTStep, which in turn was branched from BSD Unix. Rosetta enabled Mac OS 9 software to run on OS X under emulation.

Any code leftover from the PowerPC days can be found in the Foundation and Core Foundation frameworks. Apple has done a fairly decent job keeping Foundation updated, or at least wrapping older APIs with new APIs that are easier to use. Eventually all the Objective-C code inherited from NeXTStep / OpenStep will be replaced by Swift (a massive task that Apple is in no hurry to complete).

Core Foundation was designed as a C-based bridge intended to help developers transition their applications from OS 9 to OS X. Now it's primarily used for apps that require extremely fast performance, or access to things not covered by other Apple frameworks. But most of the old APIs are still there.

It's definitely possible that some of the problems users see with the M1 could be due to the lower level APIs not playing nicely with the M1 SoC.

Reactions: polyphenol

Jason2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2019
Planet Earth

Windows PCs are better than Macs ?? Is that fact or just your opinion. No need to answer as we know it is just an opinion. Also, please add me to the list of folks that own an M1 Air and have had ZERO issues with it. Use it night and day for personal and business. Rock solid. But so is my Windows unit.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Look, it sucks you have issues with your M1 mac. The best thing to do is contact Apple about it. These are still computers that have some failure rate. This is what the no-questions 14 day return policy is for. If you experience issues with your system, contact the company.

I have had my share of issues with Windows, which is why I prefer doing anything other than gaming and Visual Studio on macOS. However, I won't say Windows sucks. Windows, Mac and Linux all have their advantages and disadvantages.

You got a bad product, it sucks but it happens. There are still failure rates on IT products. I have had a couple of DOA NVIDIA GPU cards before, does that mean NVIDIA sucks? I had a couple of hard drives from both Western Digital and Seagate fail within one month of purchase, does that mean they both suck? I have had both Corsair and G.SKILL RAM be DOA, does that mean they suck?

This stuff happens in IT.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
That's debatable. M1 have a whole range of issues. Initially hubs that brick M1 devices. Excessive SSD wear. Palm rejection is still broken for me where I can move mouse pointer with both meaty parts of my palm. External displays that cause pink screen of death. It's picky with USB-C to HDMI dongles and display quality on the one that does work is substandard with unclear text and flickering at 4K while same dongle is fine on PC laptop. Then, there's new file corruption issue that someone just brought up. Overall it still feels like a beta product.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ssd-swap-high-usage-of-terabytes-written.2284893/post-30048332

Any line of computers will have a number of issues, mostly anecdotal, and not representative of the majority. You'll need a lot more data that what you have to make judgements of products overall.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009

Yet I have been running the M1 Mac Mini since a month after launch with not a whole lot written to the SSD. I believe it was reported to be a third party software under rosetta. One of the persons mentioned a third party software writing to a log file every second that caused their issues.

You can't really blame Apple for this. I can write a piece of software in .NET in 10 minutes that will write/delete/write data non stop and causes large amount of SSD usage.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Never understood why people rush to defend a company and make excuses. If I buy a new Lenovo and it's poop then I'll call it out for what it is and return it. It's not like Apple or Lenovo gave me the product for free and will take it back if I said any negative.

Reactions: iHorseHead

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Never understood why people rush to defend a company and make excuses. If I buy a new Lenovo and it's poop then I'll call it out for what it is and return it. It's not like Apple or Lenovo gave me the product for free and will take it back if I said any negative.
How are we rushing to defend Apple or make excuses? As I said, there are always faulty components in IT, no matter where you buy it from or what the component is.

I have been very critical with Apple in the past - 2013 trash can Mac Pro and laptop keyboards on the Macbook Pros.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA

Your experiences with a product are not necessarily shared by others. That's the problem with this entire thread. It is absolutely fine to say "these are the problems I have with this product". What is absurd is to say "these are the problems I have with this product and so this product is poop and how dare anyone defend it". Like I said, why are your anecdotal experiences more valid than mine?

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020

Windows PCs are better than Macs ?? Is that fact or just your opinion. No need to answer as we know it is just an opinion. Also, please add me to the list of folks that own an M1 Air and have had ZERO issues with it. Use it night and day for personal and business. Rock solid. But so is my Windows unit.

Of course. These kind of topics always are meant for attention..since a lot of people jumps on it and reply often with a lot of pages
This apple vs samsung or macs vs pc etc will always attract users to these kind of topics..especially young users that like to reply and reply with nothing else to do because the bottom line is just an users opinion and no help for the community

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Never understood why people rush to defend a company and make excuses.
Mostly because they feel its an attack on their decisions. I bought a <widget> from company A, and if someone is saying company A is producing crap, then my <widget> is crap and my decision was poor, so I need to defend them because my decision was sound.

We all do that to some degree, and I admit I've been guilty of that. I strive to take the emotion out of my purchases but I'm semi-human so that's a bit hard.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2021
Mostly because they feel its an attack on their decisions. I bought a <widget> from company A, and if someone is saying company A is producing crap, then my <widget> is crap and my decision was poor, so I need to defend them because my decision was sound.

We all do that to some degree, and I admit I've been guilty of that. I strive to take the emotion out of my purchases but I'm semi-human so that's a bit hard.
I don't know where you are from, but yeah… A lot of Americans hate and bash Huawei although every Huawei device I've ever had has been great and awesome and I think over here Huawei's are the most used phones ever.

I personally am sorry that I made this thread and I really don't even read it anymore and I've personally have had problems with my MBA M1, but haven't had any problems with my Windows PCs (I've gotten lucky, I think, but then again before buying I do a lot of research of what I'm buying).

The reason I made this thread was because I saw a lot of bashing of Windows and Android everywhere in this forum and I wanted to show that Macs aren't perfect either.

Also, reading the posts where people are mad that Windows 11 won't support their old computer is ridiculous, because when Apple dropped the support of my 4 year old MacBook people were like: "It's old, buy a new Mac" (Especially on Apple Discussion forums) and if I had a been a member of this forum back then I'm assuming people would have said the same thing. Now that Windows does what Apple did people are suddenly mad and bashing Microsoft like: "Imagine if Apple did this…", but at the same time Windows 10 will receive security updates and even macOS High Sierra does not.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: millerj123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.