Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I personally am sorry that I made this thread
Take it as a learning experience. I don't mean that in a coy manner, but we all learn, take this an example.

The reason I made this thread was because I saw a lot of bashing of Windows and Android everywhere in this forum and I wanted to show that Macs aren't perfect either.
I understand, but in a sense its liking peeing in the wind. No matter how careful you are, it will still come back on you.

Macs are not perfect, and Apple's track record is surprisingly poor, many people forget or choose to ignore the number of GPU failures from 2008 to 2011, or the keyboard issues from 2016 until (I forget when). Yet with that said, One of the best laptops I've owned was the 2012 rMBP. I feel that was the height of design, quality and performance.

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
Never understood why people rush to defend a company and make excuses. If I buy a new Lenovo and it's poop then I'll call it out for what it is and return it. It's not like Apple or Lenovo gave me the product for free and will take it back if I said any negative.
There are 2 kinds of people I see in life. One kind of people want to "experience" life at a certain distance and there is another kind of people who want to "experience" life intimately (up close and personal) and fully (total full immersion).

How do you "experience" life at a certain distance? By creating the experience all in the person's mind without having the actual, intimate and full experience. They do this by taking in the words, the descriptions of the experience and then use their rational minds to create the theoretical experience of what it would be the actual physical experience. But can we not all agree that words themselves only point to the thing, the potential experience. Words alone can not give anyone a full actual experience, otherwise why bother eating an apple and experience the taste when the word "Apple" is enough to give you that experience? Why have actual physical sexual intercourse when the word sex can give you an accurate physical experience of sex? Words alone can not give anyone of us the actual physical experience.

So what you just described is that, when someone buys a new Lenovo or any computer brand, you are buying based on the description of that brand and what it points to you of a potential experience you might get from that brand of computer. That experience is in your mind, which is really a theoretical experience. That's all, because unless you actually have the physical experience of that brand of computer, the experience you have of that brand, which is Lenovo, is all in your mind. But once you bought the Lenovo and it's poop then you'll call it out for what it is and return it. What you had just described is that, you are willing to experience Lenovo intimately, which gives you an actual experience and you are willing to "ACCEPT" that the actual experience with the Lenovo is the true experience, replacing the theoretical experience in your mind. You are willing to accept that your initial theoretical experience was wrong (well how could any theoretical experience be actual?!?) and the actual true physical experience is the actual experience of it and overrides your theoretical experience in your mind. This actual physical experience of using the Lenovo now becomes your memory. It's no longer theoretical with Lenovo products. And so when you share your memory of your actual experience using a Lenovo product, then others who had the actual experience more or less would agree with you. When all of us agree on certain things, we agree because we can recall the memory of our experience of what that thing should experience; based on actual physical experiences.

Now what happened to a person who only wants to experience life at a certain distance and why they seemed to be defending a product of this or that?

In reality, they are only defending themselves because they are so afraid that the actual experience of anything in life will and can prove them wrong. That's the whole basis of their defence and denial. You see this in COVID and you see this with people who believe a certain former president was robbed of his election etc.. Their experience is all in their minds which has no basis of reality to it. But they are not defending anyone or anything. They are defending themselves so they won't get hurt psychologically and emotionally for being wrong in their minds.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
The reason I made this thread was because I saw a lot of bashing of Windows and Android everywhere in this forum and I wanted to show that Macs aren't perfect either.

This is called Whataboutism.

"Whataboutism, also known as whataboutery, is a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

I think this thread would have served your agenda better if you had titled it "Why my MSI laptop is better than my MacBook" and listed your reasons for that opinion.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2021
This is called Whataboutism.

"Whataboutism, also known as whataboutery, is a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

I think this thread would have served your agenda better if you had titled it "Why my MSI laptop is better than my MacBook" and listed your reasons for that opinion.
Okay,
1 MSI Modern laptops are blazingly fast, open visual studio in no time.
2. It can game.
3. It has better battery options. I can actually charge my battery to even 50% if I want to
4. I can actually play games on it, which I can't on a Mac.
5. It boots up faster.

Why MacBook is better.
1. Better keyboard
2. Better build quality
3. Better trackpad
4. My USB Hub works on my MacBook (btw, my MSI has the same ports. In the USB hub's defence my work HP laptop works well too. I don't know what's up with it)
5. It has never ever crashed on me, unlike Macs.

Why Android is better than iOS?

1. Android has YouTube Vanced and Popcorn time. Other than that it's the same thing.

Also, people bashing Windows, and especially because Windows won't support older PCs are hypocrites. I've told my stories with the Macs I've owned several times. When my MacBook was 4 years old it lost the support and then the replies were: "It's an old computer"…

Are you a bit happier now?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Check and balance is necessary otherwise consumers will end up wasting their money if it's just hype and misinformation. Haven't pinpoint, though, if the hype and misinformation is due to inexperience, fanboyism or company sponsored (see example below).

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Okay,
2. It can game.
3. It has better battery options. I can actually charge my battery to even 50% if I want to
5. It boots up faster.

Why MacBook is better.
1. Better keyboard
2. Better build quality
3. Better trackpad
4. My USB Hub works on my MacBook (btw, my MSI has the same ports. In the USB hub's defence my work HP laptop works well too. I don't know what's up with it)
5. It has never ever crashed on me, unlike Macs.

Items 2 and 4 in your first list is the same thing and saying you can't play games on Mac is simply not true. There are differences in many aspects of the gaming experience on Mac but games do, in fact, exist on Mac.

But this would have definitely been a better initial post.

Why Android is better than iOS?

1. Android has YouTube Vanced and Popcorn time. Other than that it's the same thing.

Also, people bashing Windows, and especially because Windows won't support older PCs are hypocrites. I've told my stories with the Macs I've owned several times. When my MacBook was 4 years old it lost the support and then the replies were: "It's an old computer"…

Simply criticizing a system or operating system doesn't make anyone a hypocrite. The problem with the rest of your statement is that you are generalizing. If some person in particular bashed Windows 11 for not supporting older PCs but defended Mac for not supporting older Macs then you could make the argument that that person is a hypocrite. Instead you are claiming a group of people are guilty of hypocrisy because what some said in the past and what others are saying now. Unless the "replies" you are talking about are from the same people who are criticizing Windows for not supporting older computers then you don't really have a cause to accuse any person of hypocrisy at all.

Last edited:

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
Okay,
2. It can game.
5. It boots up faster.
Can you give me an actual experience of battery life when using conference software like Zoom? I'm actually thinking about getting the MSI Modern 14" with i7 10th Gen, 16Gb ram and 512Gb SSD drive. No games; just for work to replace my old 2014 MacBook Air. I'm still comparing this with the M1 MB Air, but I can get the Modern 14 cheaper than the M1 8Gb/256Gb MB Air option in my country. Thanks for sharing your experience..

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
Check and balance is necessary otherwise consumers will end up wasting their money if it's just hype and misinformation. Haven't pinpoint, though, if the hype and misinformation is due to inexperience, fanboyism or company sponsored (see example below).

It's like the Hans Christensen story of the emperor has no clothes on and some of us are like those children who could see through that the emperor has no clothes on, whereas others see the emperor with clothes on but all this happens in their minds. This is not only what Nvidia discovered, but a lot of other companies and many individuals use this blindness to exploit people for their denial. Pointing out is what all we can do as many of these people who are in denial will only learn their lessons through the school of hard knocks; that they had been exploited by these corporations and by those people who exploit them, but in the end, the writing has always been on the wall. They just denied it exists, just like those people who believed the emperor was wearing clothes even though he was clearly naked.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2021
Can you give me an actual experience of battery life when using conference software like Zoom? I'm actually thinking about getting the MSI Modern 14" with i7 10th Gen, 16Gb ram and 512Gb SSD drive. No games; just for work to replace my old 2014 MacBook Air. I'm still comparing this with the M1 MB Air, but I can get the Modern 14 cheaper than the M1 8Gb/256Gb MB Air option in my country. Thanks for sharing your experience..
I can tell you my experience with Teams and Skype. My MSI Modern has AMD Ryzen processor, because such processor was kind of required by my school and so far it has been fast and nice. I've been able to stretch 12 hours by using Visual Studio and video calling on Skype for 10 hours, but I must confess something… One of the negative sides of MSI Modern has been the build quality, because my hinge broke out of the blue and they fixed it for free, but you know… The build quality isn't the best to be honest with you, but performance wise it has been great, but the story of the hinges has been rather negative. I've never dropped it or anything. It just broke. The Modern series has Creator Center and on Battery saving mode it has lasted me 12 hours (Visual studio, Bluetooth headphones and on WiFi using Teams for several hours), but I've also read stories like that:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MSILaptops/comments/ea43pd I've never had it last on 3 hours of battery even when playing Civ 6.

I honestly wouldn't recommend it, because of the hinges breaking or I've been unlucky in that sense, because again, when you complain there are people saying: "Mine's fine" and then there are people that have gone through the same.

I'm not sure if AMD and Intel have different battery lives. Google claims that i7 one lasts still for 10 hours and based on my experiences, on that they have delivered on their promise, but the build quality is…yeah. It's almost a good laptop. Almost, but it's a lot cheaper than M1 MacBook Air 8GB (in my country it's $500 cheaper), so I guess you can't complain like that.

But because of the build quality I'd recommend you to look for something else. If you'll use it at home and don't close the lid then it's fine. Then again, keep in mind that I have always charged my MSI's battery to 80% and to 50% when I've been at home.

I can test the battery for you. What would you like me to do?

Last edited:

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2021
Items 2 and 4 in your first list is the same thing and saying you can't play games on Mac is simply not true. There are differences in many aspects of the gaming experience on Mac but games do, in fact, exist on Mac.
Download Tropico 6 from the Mac App Store and tell me your experience (or from Steam). It's the worst experience ever.

The problem with the rest of your statement is that you are generalizing. If some person in particular bashed Windows 11 for not supporting older PCs but defended Mac for not supporting older Macs then you could make the argument that that person is a hypocrite.
That's true and you're not one of the people that criticises MS for dropping the support for older PCs.
I'm sorry.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Download Tropico 6 from the Mac App Store and tell me your experience (or from Steam). It's the worst experience ever.

The fact it would be running in an emulator on my M1 MacBook wouldn't help, but yeah, I believe you. I have a really good Windows PC for gaming and a PS5 so that is where I play games. But there are some games that run pretty good on Mac. I read Divinity Original Sin 2 ran pretty well. I have it installed and am going to try it out at some point just to see if it is true. Also, simple games like Stardew Valley would probably run fine on Macs. So there are options, but they will never be as good as the gaming experience on PC.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2021
Divinity Original Sin 2
I'll check that out, but the games I've played (My favourite games) have been pretty horrible and Tropico is my favourite game and it has no issues with it on my PC. It even loads ridiculously fast on PC.

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
I can tell you my experience with Teams and Skype. My MSI Modern has AMD Ryzen processor, because such processor was kind of required by my school and so far it has been fast and nice. I've been able to stretch 12 hours by using Visual Studio and video calling on Skype for 10 hours, but I must confess something… One of the negative sides of MSI Modern has been the build quality, because my hinge broke out of the blue and they fixed it for free, but you know… The build quality isn't the best to be honest with you, but performance wise it has been great, but the story of the hinges has been rather negative. I've never dropped it or anything. It just broke. The Modern series has Creator Center and on Battery saving mode it has lasted me 12 hours (Visual studio, Bluetooth headphones and on WiFi using Teams for several hours), but I've also read stories like that:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MSILaptops/comments/ea43pd I've never had it last on 3 hours of battery even when playing Civ 6.

I honestly wouldn't recommend it, because of the hinges breaking or I've been unlucky in that sense, because again, when you complain there are people saying: "Mine's fine" and then there are people that have gone through the same.

I'm not sure if AMD and Intel have different battery lives. Google claims that i7 one lasts still for 10 hours and based on my experiences, on that they have delivered on their promise, but the build quality is…yeah. It's almost a good laptop. Almost, but it's a lot cheaper than M1 MacBook Air 8GB (in my country it's $500 cheaper), so I guess you can't complain like that.

But because of the build quality I'd recommend you to look for something else. If you'll use it at home and don't close the lid then it's fine. Then again, keep in mind that I have always charged my MSI's battery to 80% and to 50% when I've been at home.
Thank you for not sugar coating your personal experiences on the Modern 14 which is actually what I was seeking, but not as easy to get these days.

Speaking of which; would there be a laptop similar to the Modern 14 that can stand up to the hinge abuse of constant opening and closing.

Thanks again for your honest observation.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2021
Thank you for not sugar coating your personal experiences on the Modern 14 which is actually what I was seeking, but not as easy to get these days.

Speaking of which; would there be a laptop similar to the Modern 14 that can stand up to the hinge abuse of constant opening and closing.

Thanks again for your honest observation.
You're welcome. I just did the "Can your PC run Windows 11" test and in less than a second it said it can. The performance on this is insanely good no matter what I do. It's just the build quality.

To be honest, so far I haven't found a laptop that doesn't have hinge problems. HP laptops don't have hinge problems, but from what I've experienced HP laptops tend to overheat and the battery life has been bad. Then again there are MacBooks that have keyboard issues and there are people claiming they've never had a problem as there are people claiming that Big Sur has been the worst macOS version ever (For me personally it has kind of been the best) as well as Leopard was the best. I remember having issues with Snow Leopard and Lion, but then there are people claiming that Leopard has been the worst and Snow Leopard has been the best. If you're looking for a laptop, I do recommend you looking for advice from people that have been using the laptop for at least a year. If you would've asked me would I recommend MSI Modern on 28th June 2020, then the answer would've been yes, but now I don't recommend it because of the hinges.
Performance wise I do recommend MSI Modern. Also @maflynn seems to have experiences with Windows laptops that are rather unbiased. Maybe he can help you.

Reactions: iluvmacs99

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I'll check that out, but the games I've played (My favourite games) have been pretty horrible and Tropico is my favourite game and it has no issues with it on my PC. It even loads ridiculously fast on PC.

A bit amazing that these games can be played at all considering they are all running in an emulator. I was actually able to fire up Shadow of the Tomb Raider on my Mac. Had to downgrade everything to lowest settings, but I was still impressed that it was able to achieve 30fps in Rosetta 2.

Just tried DOS 2 and it runs very well on my MacBook.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
To be honest, so far I haven't found a laptop that doesn't have hinge problems.
I've had excellent luck with Razer and Thinkpads, my ThinkPad is about 3 years and the razer is about 2 and the hinges for both are rock solid

As for Virtual memory, macOS vs. Windows. Each handles memory differently, though its widely accepted (at least in the circles I run in) that macOS, aka Unix handles memory better and is superior to how Windows handles it. I've had windows servers come crashing down because of low memory (run away processors) but I've yet run into a situation where my Mac was completely unresponsive. I've had plenty of KPs but no situation where lack of ram caused the machine to crash or hang.

macOS has a better track record with uptimes, where as windows is better served being rebooted occasionally.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I've had excellent luck with Razer and Thinkpads, my ThinkPad is about 3 years and the razer is about 2 and the hinges for both are rock solid

As for Virtual memory, macOS vs. Windows. Each handles memory differently, though its widely accepted (at least in the circles I run in) that macOS, aka Unix handles memory better and is superior to how Windows handles it. I've had windows servers come crashing down because of low memory (run away processors) but I've yet run into a situation where my Mac was completely unresponsive. I've had plenty of KPs but no situation where lack of ram caused the machine to crash or hang.

macOS has a better track record with uptimes, where as windows is better served being rebooted occasionally.

My Windows desktop is up for long periods of time. In general, the times it comes down are when I have to reboot to play around with some new software or Windows Updates. I find Windows 10 to be stable. macOS has always been stable for me. I have 128 GB of RAM on my Windows desktop so the system is friendly, even with software that has memory leaks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My Windows desktop is up for long periods of time.
We generally reboot our servers on a monthly basis. Mostly due to patch tuesday, but also even if there's no patches. My desktop uptime is good as well, but I will say macOS seems to handle longer uptimes better

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2021
We generally reboot our servers on a monthly basis. Mostly due to patch tuesday, but also even if there's no patches. My desktop uptime is good as well, but I will say macOS seems to handle longer uptimes better
My company reboots servers once every 6 months…

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA

Same for us. Our system admins have a "maintenance weekend" once a month to apply patches and reboot servers.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
In 2013 I bought my Mac mini. I found it expensive. I was used paying less on my windows PCs. Those PCs last like 3 years because they became slow as hell over time, certainly when I kept my software up to date. I used windows defender, anti virus, etc. Still ransomware got me and I lost all files. I once had a BSOD while I had been working on documents for days. I had to redo days of work in an all nighter after seeking desperately some temporary files.

I am typing this post on my mini. It's still snappy and crispy. Windows? Never again.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's the way it was with our Linux development servers.
Our linux and Unix boxes don't get rebooted, unless some maintenance is occurring. Uptime is measured in months rather then days or weeks for our windows servers ;)

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2021
What about apply patches from patch Tuesday? Those frequently require a reboot, or do you apply patches bi-annually?
We use RDP and there are different servers and every time they install and update they send us emails letting us know that we can't use it. Around every 3 months or so, yeah. I'm not responsible for that. We do use Windows Servers though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.