Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Congrats @Ankaa!

I also just had my Toyota '09 RAV4 installed with iLx-107. I love it so far, brings a huge upgrade to my SUV. Hope you enjoy yours as well!

Reactions: ColoArtist

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
After a few weeks in use, some more thoughts.

So far, overall I really love wireless Carplay. I'll never go back to wires. That being said, there is much room for improvement, most of which is more iOS than Carplay itself or the Alpine's software.

- "Hey Siri" still needs a lot of thinking time, regardless of my connection status. It just takes pretty long until you actually get the prompt to speak - black screen until then.
- I found myself adjusting to the small volume buttons quite well, but noticed I'm having a hard time skipping tracks without looking, and it's also quite uncomfortable - which might be due to my short arms (I have to actually lean over quite significantly). So, again, if someone does not have steering wheel controls, I'm not sure I'd recommend the unit to them.
- The display is veeeery touchy and you have to have good aim
- Auto-Dimming of the brightness doesn't work well. Even in the dark, with Auto-Dimming on, it's not really dimming. I have to trigger it manually, then it's actually not too bright anymore.
- I LOVE the big maps display - unfortunately I don't use navigation too often
- No sound notification of incoming messages, just a little notification bar just like on the phone - which you miss if you're actually looking at the road and not your stereo
- I really wish iOS (or the stereo or whichever) would have a setting to automatically equalize amplitudes. My music differs significantly in amplitude, which is really annoying when on shuffle. C'mon Apple, this can't be THAT hard to implement. (and I still have the Auto equalizer on my wish list)
- No voice-control to pick up an incoming phone call. Like: really?
- The fans of the HU are fairly loud
- This is a no-brainer for me, but how come there is an option for "I'm driving" when automatically connecting to Bluetooth, but not to Carplay? I know that Carplay is for better usage of calls/messages while driving, but I'd still like the option - this probably just has been overlooked, so I'm hoping for future updates.

For the price I paid, I'm more than happy. The wirless Carplay is certainly worth the premium. However, I do hope there will be improvements with future firmware and iOS/Carplay updates. I feel like there still is a lot of potential being unused. I'm also hopeful for other stereo companies...competition is always good. I'm not gonna swap anytime soon (way too expensive), but maybe Alpine then NEEDS to do firmware improvements...

Last edited:

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
After a few weeks in use, some more thoughts.

So far, overall I really love wireless Carplay. I'll never go back to wires. That being said, there is much room for improvement, most of which is more iOS than Carplay itself or the Alpine's software.
- I LOVE the big maps display - unfortunately I don't use navigation too often
That's actually a good thing IMHO. Apple Maps in CarPlay is nice, but it's not reliable yet unlike Google Maps or Waze. It's been wonky several times on me, where it takes me to a different route or sometimes it can't even detect that I have arrived at a certain place.

So far the pros outweighs the cons of the Alpine unit, and I'm with you I really wish the next couple of iOS updates would bring stability and enhancements for CarPlay.

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
That's actually a good thing IMHO. Apple Maps in CarPlay is nice, but it's not reliable yet unlike Google Maps or Waze. It's been wonky several times on me, where it takes me to a different route or sometimes it can't even detect that I have arrived at a certain place.

I keep reading this a lot and just can't relate. For me, maps has actually been very reliable. Granted, on my Mac I always use GoogleMaps over Maps, but mostly because I always have Safari open and it's just faster than opening yet another program. yes, GoogleMaps has a few more functions, but I've never missed them when using Maps on my phone for navigation. I've never used Waze. I know, many people swear by it, but ...dunno... I've seen people checking all the comments on traffic WHILE driving and somehow this worries me (because people don't pay attention to the road).

ColoArtist

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Denver, CO
Yeah, I’d agree life with the Alpine iLX-107 would be very different without steering wheel controls. The unit really isn’t designed to be controlled manually. Those little arrows for volume and channels are tough to hit. The dedicated Siri button is handy though.

My wife isn’t a techie. I think without the steering wheel controls she’d hate the new radio. Instead she’s bragging about the new unit. Mission accomplished. ;^)

Speaking of steering wheel controls, I believe a button can be assigned to answer calls with the “On Hook” option.

I’d agree the unit could use some firmware updates. For me, I’d like an Off button for the AM/FM radio, as well as for XM radio (when a factory unit is connected). I’d also like the unit to automatically reduce the sound volume when the car is stopped. My 13 year old OEM radio was able to do that.

As for CarPlay, my complaints are few. I like Maps and use it for navigation. Google has more options and Waze is more traffic aware, but neither are as integrated with my info on my phone. However, as elegant as those light blue road lines in Maps might be, I’d like more contrast in the display. It’s okay on the iPhone, but on a lesser screen, which is pretty much where CarPlay will be displayed, those road lines are hard to make out.

My wife listens to mostly public radio so it’s great the NPR app is supported by CarPlay.

One problem I’ve had might be the HU, or CarPlay, or my iPhone X, or the wireless connection, or some combination of them, but a couple of times my cellular signal has dropped to 1X and stayed there until I got my iPhone out and turned cellular off and then back on. This was in areas with normally excellent reception.

And finally a tip about location services. I was curious how much cellular data I was using with CarPlay while navigating and streaming music. When I checked my plan I was shocked to see GBs of data had been gobbled up in a week by mostly one thing…”Time & Location”.

You can check the usage by going into Settings—>Cellular—>(scroll down to) System Services. The list is ordered by large to small.

I went into Settings—>Privacy—>Location Services and tweaked the settings for individual apps. Lots of mine were set to be on all the time. I left a few of the appropriate ones set to on, made most “While Using” and set some to “Off”.

I reset the Cellular statistics and kept an eye on what was being used. Changing the Location Services settings had taken care of the problem. After 5 days Time and Location usage had stayed in the low MB range.

If I were interested I probably could have tracked down the offending app or apps by turning off a few at a time, but it really didn’t matter to me as long as the huge usage was stopped and my apps were working the way I wanted.

Wireless CarPlay does use drain the iPhone’s battery but I think it’d only be an issue on a road trip. On a short trip with the navigation on and music streaming for a few hours used about 15% of the iPhone’s charge.

All in all I’m extremely happy with the new unit. It’s a joy to just hop in the car & go while having CarPlay come up and continue right where I left off, with the radio, navigation, audiobook…whatever I was up to last time. I don’t do many phone calls or messages, but it's handy to be able to take a call or handle a new text. Adding a steering wheel adapter was a little bit of work for my model car since it already had buttons, but well worth extra work and expense. Adding the camera was a whole lot more work, but worth it for me.

Reactions: CamiMR

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
OMG What an incredibly helpful thread! A million thanks to @ColoArtist and @Ankaa !

I recently started appreciating good sound. And, I decided to upgrade the stereo system vs buying a new car because I am still smitten with my Honda CRV Tango Red 07 EX-L. I just assumed all Apple CarPlay units supported wireless because of bluetooth. :eek: Looks like only the Alpine ILX-107 model supports wireless CarPlay@ (Edited / corrected model number after reading @ColoArtist note below) . Having to plug in a cable in 2018 to use Apple CarPlay seems barbaric!

Upgrade goals:
  1. Great sound, wireless CarPlay, bluetooth (will I still need this?), new speakers,
  2. Dash cams that record front and rear. Rear camera display on the unit. (hopefully new rear cam will be an upgrade on quality of original rear camera)
  3. Viper remote start upgrade vs the 2007 Viper model I had installed. To give me my spare key back. (it's installed somewhere near my feet now)
  4. Wireless charging install that does not block my AC vent. (it gets too hot here in Austin, Texas, to block an AC vent)

What I hope still works:
  • Steering wheel controls

What I think I have to give up for Wireless CarPlay but I wish I didn't have to:
  • Built in navigation for when I drive where cell service is bad or non-existent
  • Local music on CF/SD card storage
  • CD player

SO impressed you could do this yourselves. I need to select a local (Austin) installer. I will print out this thread for them to read. I want to find an installer who has installed this specific Alpine model several times before.

Again, thanks so much.

Here is my fave ride:
ExN0YjJ.jpg

GkqsOSG.jpg

Afr7jH6.jpg

Last edited:

ColoArtist

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Denver, CO
Sounds great...and that's a great looking CRV.

A couple of things. The wireless feature is only on the Alpine iLX-107.

Although the iLX-207 adds quite a few features, Android compatibility, HD radio, XM radio compatibility, support of playing songs stored on a USB drive, and the ability to change the button colors, it still requires a cable connection to a phone.

For the steering wheel controls, the iDataLink Maestro Rr has worked well for me. It's a bit of a pain to set up, but it does add quite a few nice functions. Although I don't use the XM radio, the Maestro provides a connection to the car's built in XM. I also like the ability to check tire pressure and monitor each individual tire.

The Maestro also supports using the stock AUX port in the center console, except for a quirk with the iLX-107 prevents it. The iLX-107 only has one AUX port, and when the Maestro unit is installed Alpine disables the AUX port. It's there when the radio boots up, and can actually be used if one is quick to make the connection, but otherwise it's not available. Maybe a firmware update will correct the situation.

For the steering wheel controls, one can program the buttons for a single tap and also a second function for a long hold. My wife normally drives the 2008. She isn't into gadgets so I wanted to keep things simple. Siri, and volume controls would be her primary uses so I remapped Mode, both short and long push, to be Siri (voice). Sounds like your CRV had a Navi unit, so it probably has a dedicated Voice button already.

Another thing the Maestro provides is a simple connection for the radio to the car's e-brake and reverse sensing wires. I had Crutchfield do the harness wiring. The brake and reverse wires were already connected in the harness...no need to track them down in the car.

However, although the e-brake wire was already connected, I found the radio to be kind of flakey when I wanted to enter the settings. There seemed to be some combination of the ignition had to be on, not just in acc, and the e-brake pedal had to be engaged multiple times. I found a number of references to it being a known bug with the radio. I had very good luck with the "MicroBypass for Alpine" switch, to bypass the need for an e-brake connection, with the install in my 2005 CRV, so I added one in my 2008.

When I bought my EX-L, I didn't opt for the Navi unit so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I am impressed with the Alpine HCE-C1100 camera. Color and clarity appear great and it's low light performance is excellent. I mounted it using Alpine's license plate mount, the KTX-C10LP. It blocks the stock license plate light, but the Alpine unit has its own lights.

Speaking of the license plate light, that's where I went in with the wiring for the camera and new plate lights. I drilled a hole in the old light lens. There is an indented area in the trunk lid under the license plate where the wiring could go. It would have provided a cleaner appearance, but I was reluctant to drill a hole through the bodywork.

Although the iLX-107's USB port can't be used for playing music from a thumb drive, you'll still need access for firmware updates and also if you want to install a custom boot screen.

I considered putting the USB port in a number of places. One possibility was in the little nook at the bottom of the main console. Another was in the inclosed space in the center console. Probably the simplest and easiest location was the main glove box...straight shot and lots of open spaces just to drop a cable in.

In the end, I mounted mine in the CRV's little secondary glovebox. I put it flush in the back of the access door. To do that was a bunch of work. It would have been much easier to just notch a side of the door and run the cable in there.

Crutchfield recommended the trim kit, American International HON-K817. I had read good reviews of the Scosche HA 1559B kit so I tried it too. Although the Scosche was better constructed, I ended up using the American International mostly because of the trim's texture. It was a bit rougher and more matte than the Scosche. The Scosche was kinda shiny and looked a bit more "plasticy".

Actually both looked fine. The texture of the console pieces in the CRV don't exactly match. The AI trim more closely matched the texture of the A/C panel, the Scosche was a better match for the upper vent panel. I used the original metal mounting brackets, but the plastic brackets in the kits looked to be of more than sufficient strength to hold the lightweight iLX-107 in place.

I'd be interested to know how your installers handled the camera, mic and USB port installations.

Best of luck with the project.

AI trim on left, Scosche on right.
IMG_2208.jpg

AI next to A/C panel
IMG_2209.jpg

Scosche
IMG_2211.jpg

AI trim installed.
IMG_2242.jpg

Reactions: Ntombi and MareLuce

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
Thanks so much @ColoArtist for catching my model # error. I definitely want the 107 for wireless carplay vs 207.

I see from the Alpine page that it supports Pandora which is what I want to play when I'm not listening to podcasts.
https://alpine-usa.com/product/view/apple-wireless-carplay-ilx-107

But in areas of bad cell reception, what are my options for playing music? Is there any local flash storage for music?

Edit: OK wait I just realized this:
Even if cell phone reception is nonexistent, my phone can still connect to the Alpine ILX107 via CarPlay. Right?

So if I have music stored on my phone (like Amazon Music - Offline mode that I used during a power failure recently) and if my phone can connect the receiver, I can still play music through the stereo system. Right?

(But I'm assuming all these apps I have on my phone like Amazon Music will be available via CarPlay. That's probably not the case, right?)
Edit:
Wow, looks like carplay *does* support Apple Music! I'm pleasantly surprised by that given it's not part of the walled garden / ecosystem.
https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Did you install new speakers, and if yes, how do you like them? Mine definitely need replacing.

Last edited:

ColoArtist

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Denver, CO
I don't use Pandora or Amazon Music, but yup, I see they are on the list for compatible apps.

Without an iPhone the Alpine is mostly a screen which can play AM/FM radio. Everything else comes from your iPhone and the CarPlay apps. When you're out of cell range, Siri won't work, but CarPlay will still run, so you could play any music which is stored on your phone.

In the 2008 I didn't install new speakers. The old ones sounded better with the new radio. At least good enough for my old ears.

However, in my 2005 I did go ahead in install new speakers in all four doors. I didn't bother with a woofer or separate tweeters. Nothing fancy, just some inexpensive speakers. There's room enough for 6 1/2" speakers in the 2008. Check out Crutchfield's fit guides. As you can imagine the hardest part was getting the door panels off. I did happen to bookmark a good guide for replacing speakers in a 2008 CRV...
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Honda-CR-V-Interior-Door-Panels-Removal-Guide/index.html

Reactions: MareLuce

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I personally just installed a Kenwood DMX7017BTS headunit, CarPlay (and Android Auto) supported, nice mechless unit with wired CarPlay, no wireless support for CarPlay but wireless for BT. So far excellent audio on radio/Spotify and Apple Music, Siri recognition even seems better than my previous JVC BT Head unit - I put that down to better noise cancelling in the head unit but nice that my text message dictation success rate has gone from 20% to 80% :)

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
For any other newbies wondering what "mechless" means:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-technol...-four-mechless-car-stereos-made-for-ipod.html
"The latest buzzword in aftermarket car stereo is "mechless." The term isn't particularly attractive, but it aptly describes the new breed of in-dash receivers that omit mechanical playback methods. These head units cannot play discs, but instead are optimized for iPods and can also use other MP3 players and USB flash drives as their primary music sources."

ColoArtist

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Denver, CO
Right.

Compactness and weight wasn't really a big issue for the aftermarket radio since my car had a standard double DIN space. But I was surprised by how how small and light the new unit is. Also without the mechanicals there's also less to go wrong with the unit.

Here's the back of the iLX-107 and my old cassette (yikes!), CD, radio...

IMG_1311.jpg

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
My final decision before ordering all the parts - what to purchase to add on a wireless charging mount like this

I saved this screenshot from someone's YouTube but don't recall whose it was

3SayOWn.jpg

ColoArtist

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Denver, CO
Sounds like a great idea. There isn't much access for a cable on either end or along the back. There's a huge bar right behind the bin and hinges on the sides. But there's lots of room from the bottom. I cut a hole into the access panel to mount the radio's USB port. I figuring if I messed it up the panel would be easy to replace. I'd say the simplest thing is to notch a side of the access panel along it's bottom and run a cable in there.

IMG_2213.jpg IMG_2221.jpg IMG_2223.jpg

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
OMG how awesome! What I'm looking at is the little glovebox above the big glovebox?

guinness8878

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
I have the 107 installed in my truck, the CarPlay connection will drop at least once every two days. The simplicity of wireless, when making a quick grocery store trip, far outweighs this. But I cannot figure if it is a limitation of the HU or the phone. Using an iPhone X with current software. I have noticed it will drop during navigation while Siri is telling me a turn is coming as a call is coming in or trying to access Siri to play a song....maybe too much going on at one time. It has dropped on me during a regular phone call as well so I’m stumped.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
@ColoArtist , re-reading your posts above, is this a true statement:

I will not have a working AUX port after I install the Alpine ILX-107?

ColoArtist

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Denver, CO
OMG how awesome! What I'm looking at is the little glovebox above the big glovebox?

Yeah, those are pics of the little upper glovebox.

@ColoArtist , re-reading your posts above, is this a true statement:

I will not have a working AUX port after I install the Alpine ILX-107?

Unfortunately, correct.

The Maestro Rr does support the AUX port in the center console. And I can verify it does work. But an odd limitation of the iLX-107 disables the port after fully booting. Most of the Alpine radios have two AUX ports, but the iLX-107 only has one. For some unknown reason when a Maestro is used Alpine dedicates it's only AUX port to the Maestro even though it doesn't need it.

I left it connected up in the hopes Alpine will correct the problem with a firmware update.

Edit: Here's a link to where I found the info about the AUX port of the iLX-107 when using a Maestro Rr...
http://www.12voltdata.com/viewtopic.php?t=17118

This from the makers of the Maestro...
The AUX input issue is the Alpine radio dedicating the port to the RR module anytime it sees one connected to the data port, and we have no control over that part. Alpine may change that in future revisions of their radio firmware, but that is out of our hands.

[doublepost=1525577516][/doublepost]
I have the 107 installed in my truck, the CarPlay connection will drop at least once every two days. The simplicity of wireless, when making a quick grocery store trip, far outweighs this. But I cannot figure if it is a limitation of the HU or the phone. Using an iPhone X with current software. I have noticed it will drop during navigation while Siri is telling me a turn is coming as a call is coming in or trying to access Siri to play a song....maybe too much going on at one time. It has dropped on me during a regular phone call as well so I’m stumped.

I did have some dropping problems with mine. The cell reception would suddenly show 1x on my iLX-107 even though I was in a known good area for LTE. Siri would go dumb, Apple music stopped and the navigation would drift away. I think CarPlay and my iPhone X were still in communication, but the cell connection on the phone was screwed up. It was unusual behavior for my phone, so I'm convinced it was related to the Alpine. Turning the radio off and back on didn't fix it. I had to turn the cell connection off and back on on the phone.

I think you might be onto something about somehow overloading CarPlay causing it to screw up. For me I'd have navigation going, and music playing and I'd ask Siri something...or once a text message came in.

But this only happened a few times during the first couple weeks with the new radio. Since then it hasn't happened again. No idea what changed. I was running the same, the latest iOS, no change there.

Last edited:

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
Looking for ideas:

My 6 CD-changer that I no longer use is taking up prime real-estate, directly to the right of the driver's seat. At a minimum I definitely want it removed because it's making this loud annoying series of clicks every time I turn the car off and on.

Since the installer will be doing all these other things (Alpine install, etc.), what else could I do with that space?

Zg1TCyg.jpg

WG31QR4.jpg

fRxfEUU.jpg

ColoArtist

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Denver, CO
Here's what it looks like with the Maestro Rr and the iLX-107's AUX port. When the radio starts to boot the AUX icon is there. After it boots the AUX icon disappears. If I'm quick and select it while booting, the stock AUX port in the center console works and will continue to work until I select some other input.

IMG_2614.jpg IMG_2613.jpg

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
Odd...

If you have something already plugged into AUX before you turn on the car, will it default to that and play?
[doublepost=1525646003][/doublepost]Are the 2 12v cigarette lighters in any way affected by the Alpine install?
I know there’s 1 in the CRV center console near the Aux port that I use for charging, and I believe the other is below the gear shift, though I rarely use it.

ColoArtist

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Denver, CO
Odd...

If you have something already plugged into AUX before you turn on the car, will it default to that and play?
[doublepost=1525646003][/doublepost]Are the 2 12v cigarette lighters in any way affected by the Alpine install?
I know there’s 1 in the CRV center console near the Aux port that I use for charging, and I believe the other is below the gear shift, though I rarely use it.

When restarted the iLX-107 generally returns to whatever it was doing before being shut off. But I don't think the unit is booted far enough to remember the disappearing AUX, so no, it doesn't default to the AUX port even if it was the last thing being used before shutdown.

Neither of the power ports are affected at all by the install.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
The eagle has landed. ( received alpine ILX-107, SoundOrdnance subwoofer, new door speakers, new tweeters, received. )

Lights. Also having interior lights replaced with LEDs, Front headlights replaced with conventional Philips bulbs (1 went out last week) and reverse back up lights replaced with LEDs

Install is Monday!

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
OMG I love it !!!
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX107/Alpine-iLX-107.html?search=ILX107&skipvs=T

Connect time is so fast! As soon as I turn on the car and pull my phone my iPhone from my purse, it's connected to the Alpine's wireless carplay!

And most importantly, now I have better car sound than my bf! :D:):D
The Dynamat, new speakers, and Sound Ordnance subwoofer definitely helps with that.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_15410435/Dynamat-10435-Xtreme-Door-Kit.html
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html
Sound Ordnance is Crutchfield's private label brand. I didn't know they had one. I'd bet the reviewers are right who say the same quality subwoofer from a name brand is much more $$. It's out of stock till June 8, so I bought a "scratch and dent" version for less than shown there. It's amazing sound to my ears.

Also love: the new LED interior lights in map, headliner, and cargo area.
Went with Vleds after researching it a bunch. When I turned off the car, in the garage after returning home in my garage that first night, I almost jumped at all the "lightness" inside of my car! For a split second I freaked and thought "OMG everything new just fried itself!"
http://www.vleds.com/shop-application/interior/3175.html

I'm so happy I did this upgrade instead of buying a new car. After thinking a while about:
What would a new car give me day to day that's dramatically better vs what I already have?
-- it's really THIS ! It feels like a new car.

Actually, it's better - the car I was considering did not support wireless CarPlay. It only supported wired CarPlay :mad:. (I had been assuming it was all wireless.) - huge convenience on all car trips except for long road trips where it needs charging.

If I find a magnetic wireless Qi car charger that I can mount, my wireless theme will be complete.

I really like what the installer did re: locating the microphone and USB port.
Wanna see pics? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.