Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
Pics and Parts List. Feedback.

*** Pics and Parts List ***

=== Alpine iLX-107 for Wireless CarPlay

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX107/Alpine-iLX-107.html?search=alpine_ilx-107&skipvs=T

iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Interface Module - so my steering wheel controls work like before
American International HON-K817 Dash Kit - to fit around the radio and match the trim
Metra 72-7800 Speaker Wiring Harness - for the car plumbing.

jnNpmpG.jpg

AzDh2dB.jpg

whtPsyf.jpg

lxjxdTg.jpg

SQyoAhD.jpg

ruCoSn8.jpg

fTntEuA.jpg

7atFxdI.jpg

6g3N0Lc.jpg

Xpjpe2t.jpg

=== Brandmotion 9002-7601 - backup camera that connects to the Alpine ILX-107 display.

SO much better picture quality than the original 11 year old backup camera that came with the car.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_212BM7601/Brandmotion-9002-7601.html?tp=83&omnews=13693036

tZ6YJWJ.jpg

NS5GZ3C.jpg

=== Cobra CDR 875G Dashcam

Small footprint. Seems to work well. None of the dash cams had great reviews including this one. Dashcams seem to be prone to reliability, connectivity or other issues. I've definitely saved the warranty info. I purchased this model because its G-shock sensor records and makes available, in data I can retrieve, the force of an impact.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZXpQd3U5NCw/p_079CDR875G/Cobra-CDR-875G.html

JulXAIf.jpg

WItMWuH.jpg

=== Sound Ordnance B-8PTD subwoofer

Sound Ordnance is Crutchfield's private label brand. It's supposed to be as good as ones 2x the price from the name brand companies.
They ran out of stock the day before I finally ordered everything, so I ordered a "scratch and dent" version for less that has a tiny scratch which no one will see given where it's mounted.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html?tp=114&omnews=13693036

235x5ft.jpg

=== Adjustable Black - White Neoprene Cord Sleeves

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR6QQLR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

p59Di5h.jpg

=== Dynamat 10435 Xtreme Door Kit

I asked the Crutchfield guy, Tyler, "If you were me and doing all this anyway, what else would you do?"
He suggested since my door covers were coming off anyway to add sound deadening. I didn't even know this stuff existed! It definitely made a noticeable difference in road noise.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_15410...search=Dynamat_10435_Xtreme_Door_Kit&skipvs=T
46yjCf4.jpg

wtuape7.jpg

=== Alpine SPS-610C front door replacement speakers and tweeter replacements
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS610C/Alpine-SPS-610C.html?tp=106&omnews=13693036

=== Alpine S-S65 rear door speakers
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SS65/Alpine-S-S65.html?tp=78072&omnews=13693036

=== Alpine KTP-445A Compact upgrade amplifier for Alpine receivers
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTP445A/Alpine-KTP-445A-Power-Pack.html?tp=115&omnews=13693036

=== VLEDS.com replacement lights for LED brightness inside

I think Tyler from Crutchfield recommended VLEDs. Or maybe one of the car discussion forum threads.
ORD'D SHIP'D SKU Description
4 4 3175_24_W_5K WHITE LONG LIFE 360° 24 LED 31MM 3175 (4 Interior lights total: 2 map lights, 1 headliner light, 1 cargo light)

OMG. The first time I turned off the car at night in the garage I jumped a foot. So suddenly bright I thought everything had just shorted out.
Interior LEDs = a huge improvement over factory interior lights.

http://www.vleds.com/shop-application/interior/3175.html
WnMEkF2.jpg

2 2 7440_6_HO_6K HIGH OUTPUT WHITE 6 LED BACK-UP LIGHT 7440 (2 Backup lights)
Backup LEDS are physically huge compared to the interior LEDs (the pics don't make that obvious) and massively bright. There's even a warning that they weren't designed to be run more than 5 minutes at a time for heat? reasons I guess.

http://www.vleds.com/shop-application/reverse-back-up/7440-led.html
ezvdPfL.jpg

=== Philips Replacement headlights

I really wanted to get the Vleds LED replacement headlights, but car forum reviews raised too many questions about whether or not I could still pass an inspection with LED replacements. (One guy couldn't). Then another talked about hearing an audible fan noise. Replacement LED headlights were too expensive for me to take the risk of installing and then having issues or not liking the noise.
These are much brighter than old ones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U1OLDRE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

fGmVkxk.jpg

=== Viper 5607 remote start + security

https://www.viper.com/car/securityr...er-lcd-2-way-security-and-remote-start-system

v8mWox2.jpg

tWYcZ6t.jpg

*** Feedback ***

One week in, I still LOVE LOVE LOVE the Alpine ILX-107 and WireLESS Apple CarPlay. Fast, reliable connectivity. All of the positive reviews I read from the car magazines and here seem to be accurate. So far it just works.

Unexpected delighters:
1) My podcasts pick up exactly where they left off without my doing ANYTHING but starting the car. Since I mostly do lots of short trips, not longer road trips, this is a huge convenience.
2) I LOVE that the Alpine display shows individual tire pressures thanks to its OBD II connector.
3) How my iPhone Maps app automatically shows turn by turn display when using CarPlay maps

Before looking into specific models, I assumed, because it seemed logical, that all Apple CarPlay supported wireless connections. My phone can connect to my router and my NAS wirelessly, so why not my car radio? Not! It must be difficult to accomplish. At time of purchase one month ago, this Alpine was the only aftermarket model that supported wireLESS Apple CarPlay. Then, Panasonic just last week announced 3 more. However, I had such a bad experience purchasing a Panasonic "APPradio" graduation present 3 years ago for my cousin as a graduation present that I would not consider Pioneer again.

I've been debating buying new vs keeping old car. I haven't had car payment in eons. But more than that, I still really like my 2007 Honda CRV EX-L AWD. It has a great spot for my shoulder bag or purse. That model doesn't connect the front console to the center console. It's just glorious empty space. I test drove a 2018 Acura RDX, but it didn't excite me enough. And its massive console consumed my laptop bag's empty spot.

Main things wrong with current car that prompted me to renovate:
- My 10 yr old aftermarket Viper remote start had developed a personality. A state condition. I really love remote start capability especially in summertimes so the car is not baking when we get in. The Viper worked perfectly till its recent affliction.
- My Stereo AUX IN no longer works
- No built-in bluetooth or way of connecting to the stereo except via AUX port which no longer worked.
- One headlight upper beam out.

Dead Aux Port Workaround #1 - A while back after Apple removed the iPhone's headphone jack, I purchased a car audio bluetooth adapter. However, this caused the car's battery to go DEAD while out on the coldest night of the year. Thankfully a stranger offered to help who wasn't an ax murderer.
After that experience, I didn't want to risk trying another bluetooth adapter.

Workaround #2 - Listening to Pandora or my podcasts via my iPhone's speakers. Really lousy on the road.

I bought everything from Crutchfield.com except
- LED lights from VLEDs.com
- Viper remote start purchased from my installer
- Philips headlight replacements from Amazon.

My Dad bought all his car audio stuff from Crutchfield. The people who answer their phones truly are experts in all the options. I must have discussed dash cams with Tyler for 30 minutes.

Most importantly, I hereby claim I have better sound than my boyfriend! :)

Last edited:

ColoArtist

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Denver, CO
Congrats! Great install and a fantastic writeup.

Yeah, the loss of the AUX port isn't very nice, but it's an Alpine thing and I'm hoping they'll correct it with a firmware update.

The rear view camera looks super clear and sharp. Are you going to adjust the guidelines? For mine I took the car to a parking lot with double spaces which have perpendicular lines. Squared up the car and lined up the bumper with the dividing line. Set up some water bottles at 18", 3', and 6' intervals. I adjusted the camera down so I could see edge of the bumper and then moved the guidelines as close to the marks as possible. The Alpine controls are a bit clunky, but I got them to work well enough to get the cones aligned fairly well.

Your's looks like it has both the cones from the radio and brackets from the camera turned on. Here's how mine looks with just the radio's guides.

IMG_2259 2.jpg

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
Are you going to adjust the guidelines? For mine I took the car to a parking lot with double spaces which have perpendicular lines. Squared up the car and lined up the bumper with the dividing line. Set up some water bottles at 18", 3', and 6' intervals. I adjusted the camera down so I could see edge of the bumper and then moved the guidelines as close to the marks as possible. The Alpine controls are a bit clunky, but I got them to work well enough to get the cones aligned fairly well.

Your's looks like it has both the cones from the radio and brackets from the camera turned on. Here's how mine looks with just the radio's guides.

View attachment 764388
dang

I like your cones better than mine.

Reactions: ColoArtist

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
After a few weeks in use, some more thoughts.

So far, overall I really love wireless Carplay. I'll never go back to wires. That being said, there is much room for improvement, most of which is more iOS than Carplay itself or the Alpine's software.

- "Hey Siri" still needs a lot of thinking time, regardless of my connection status. It just takes pretty long until you actually get the prompt to speak - black screen until then.
- I found myself adjusting to the small volume buttons quite well, but noticed I'm having a hard time skipping tracks without looking, and it's also quite uncomfortable - which might be due to my short arms (I have to actually lean over quite significantly). So, again, if someone does not have steering wheel controls, I'm not sure I'd recommend the unit to them.
- The display is veeeery touchy and you have to have good aim
- Auto-Dimming of the brightness doesn't work well. Even in the dark, with Auto-Dimming on, it's not really dimming. I have to trigger it manually, then it's actually not too bright anymore.
- I LOVE the big maps display - unfortunately I don't use navigation too often
- No sound notification of incoming messages, just a little notification bar just like on the phone - which you miss if you're actually looking at the road and not your stereo
- I really wish iOS (or the stereo or whichever) would have a setting to automatically equalize amplitudes. My music differs significantly in amplitude, which is really annoying when on shuffle. C'mon Apple, this can't be THAT hard to implement. (and I still have the Auto equalizer on my wish list)
- No voice-control to pick up an incoming phone call. Like: really?
- The fans of the HU are fairly loud
- This is a no-brainer for me, but how come there is an option for "I'm driving" when automatically connecting to Bluetooth, but not to Carplay? I know that Carplay is for better usage of calls/messages while driving, but I'd still like the option - this probably just has been overlooked, so I'm hoping for future updates.

For the price I paid, I'm more than happy. The wirless Carplay is certainly worth the premium. However, I do hope there will be improvements with future firmware and iOS/Carplay updates. I feel like there still is a lot of potential being unused. I'm also hopeful for other stereo companies...competition is always good. I'm not gonna swap anytime soon (way too expensive), but maybe Alpine then NEEDS to do firmware improvements...

It's been a year and I DO. NOT. want to miss wireless Carplay anymore. AT ALL. It's so incredibly convenient. I would never buy a HU with plugin Carplay.

But after one year in use, the above points remain valid. For what it is, I do think the HU is gravely overpriced. Siri is pretty much pointless for me, it takes too long. I never use it. I also hardly ever use any other features that come with Carplay - I essentially use it as a normal HU (music playback) with the added features of navigation (love it) and hands-free for incoming calls. I never use it to text someone (back), again due to the incredibly slow response time of Siri. So, all in all it's a pretty pricey stereo with navigation.

I love it and I don't want to miss it, but I'm also not sure if I'd spend that much money again on this specific HU.

That being said, we're currently very tentatively considering getting a HU with wireless Carplay for the hubby. He had an aftermarket Pioneer (with no Carplay) in his last car that got totaled a few weeks ago, which he was very happy with. The car that he'll be getting has a BT stereo, but no touchscreen yet (so yes, it looks kinda old-fashioned :D). I was looking into the Pioneer line with wireless Carplay that came out last year and was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with them. He doesn't need dedicated navigation in the HU, but I'm not completely convinced of the touchscreen which isn't capacitive in the cheapest model. I've particularly read about issues with glare for this model. Also, again, they're pretty pricey, but at least you definitely get more bang for the buck with those than with the Alpine (which still doesn't sell for less than 700 - the two cheaper Pioneer models currently go for 600).

Any updates and thoughts from anyone much appreciated :)

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
It's been a year and I DO. NOT. want to miss wireless Carplay anymore. AT ALL. It's so incredibly convenient. I would never buy a HU with plugin Carplay.

But after one year in use, the above points remain valid. For what it is, I do think the HU is gravely overpriced. Siri is pretty much pointless for me, it takes too long. I never use it. I also hardly ever use any other features that come with Carplay - I essentially use it as a normal HU (music playback) with the added features of navigation (love it) and hands-free for incoming calls. I never use it to text someone (back), again due to the incredibly slow response time of Siri. So, all in all it's a pretty pricey stereo with navigation.

I love it and I don't want to miss it, but I'm also not sure if I'd spend that much money again on this specific HU.

That being said, we're currently very tentatively considering getting a HU with wireless Carplay for the hubby. He had an aftermarket Pioneer (with no Carplay) in his last car that got totaled a few weeks ago, which he was very happy with. The car that he'll be getting has a BT stereo, but no touchscreen yet (so yes, it looks kinda old-fashioned :D). I was looking into the Pioneer line with wireless Carplay that came out last year and was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with them. He doesn't need dedicated navigation in the HU, but I'm not completely convinced of the touchscreen which isn't capacitive in the cheapest model. I've particularly read about issues with glare for this model. Also, again, they're pretty pricey, but at least you definitely get more bang for the buck with those than with the Alpine (which still doesn't sell for less than 700 - the two cheaper Pioneer models currently go for 600).

Any updates and thoughts from anyone much appreciated :)
I've had the iLx-107 for a year now, and same boat as you - I don't think I'll get another vehicle without wireless CarPlay, I'm so spoiled for the convenience.

Granted those are some valid points raised, the main gripe for me is "hey Siri" sometimes takes slower than usual.

My iLx 107 can be controlled on my steering wheel. I can launch siri from there, eliminating the need to trigger "hey Siri" by just a press of a button. I believe the installer used maestro to link mine to the steering wheel. It is so worth it.

I can open apps using voice control, from the steering wheel. Adjust volume. Take an incoming call. It's like my car is new again (I have a Toyota RAV4 '09).

The only quirk I've seen is the gps antenna that it comes with is really spotty. Once I've disconnected it from the head unit, I've had reliable gps signal provided by my phone.

Overall, the convenience has totally paid off. Loving every moment I drive with wireless CarPlay on the iLX-107.

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
I can open apps

I'm curious, what apps do you use with Carplay? The only thing I ever find myself using is navigation (maps, lately waze), music and occasionally making calls. I feel like I just have no need to use anything else while driving (which is a good thing, actually, right? ;) ) I'm not using iMessages as most messages are exchanged between my husband and me (in German) and Siri isn't bilingual - so, useless.

I don't use voice control to change volume, skip tracks, etc. ...just because Siri is so incredibly slow, even when using the Siri button and not "Hey Siri". It's just so much faster with touch - and even more so with steering wheel controls.

So, essentially the benefits for me come down to seamless wireless connection and start'n'play of music and hands-off calling, which again I do not want to miss in a gazillion years, but also isn't worth 700 bucks (the $200 or $300 or so Pioneer HU the hubby had could do that - granted, minus the nice navigation)

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I'm curious, what apps do you use with Carplay? The only thing I ever find myself using is navigation (maps, lately waze), music and occasionally making calls. I feel like I just have no need to use anything else while driving (which is a good thing, actually, right? ;) ) I'm not using iMessages as most messages are exchanged between my husband and me (in German) and Siri isn't bilingual - so, useless.

I don't use voice control to change volume, skip tracks, etc. ...just because Siri is so incredibly slow, even when using the Siri button and not "Hey Siri". It's just so much faster with touch - and even more so with steering wheel controls.

So, essentially the benefits for me come down to seamless wireless connection and start'n'play of music and hands-off calling, which again I do not want to miss in a gazillion years, but also isn't worth 700 bucks (the $200 or $300 or so Pioneer HU the hubby had could do that - granted, minus the nice navigation)
I like to ask Siri to switch apps from Maps, to Spotify, or to Messages; instead of tapping the screen while driving.

My steering wheel has all controls - volume, skip tracks etc, so I avoid Siri's slowness on that one.

Benefits really for me is convenience - I get in my car, no need to plug in my phone, everything just starts right away. So worth it for me IMHO.

ColoArtist

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Denver, CO
The thing about Siri and the Alpine radio is that when you say "hey Siri" it's always your iPhone which reacts. It's not the radio's mic.

So if your phone is in a place where its hard to pick up your voice, Siri will be slow to respond.

FYI...wireless CarPlay is fantastic.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Just had my Alpine ILX-107 installed today...still trying to figure out everything, but I think this is going to be a pretty amazing experience.

IMG_0712.jpeg IMG_0714.jpeg

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
You're going to love it, especially wireless CarPlay.

Loving it. Start my car, the radio finds my iPhone and launches CarPlay... it's so great to be able to use Waze, Apple Maps, Google Maps, Spotify, IheartRadio... I have a Pitaka MagMount Qi career mounted to the dash ... so I can charge my phone wirelessly and use CarPlay wirelessly... life is pretty good! :D

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Loving it. Start my car, the radio finds my iPhone and launches CarPlay... it's so great to be able to use Waze, Apple Maps, Google Maps, Spotify, IheartRadio... I have a Pitaka MagMount Qi career mounted to the dash ... so I can charge my phone wirelessly and use CarPlay wirelessly... life is pretty good! :D

Never even thought of car wireless charger!!! Just got an aftermarket unit, so I'll look into finding a wireless charger. Does the model you have require any specific charging accessories? I use an Apple silicone case (and a Belkin wireless charger at home), so looking for something that doesn't require anything extra.

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Unfortunately wireless charging feels noticeably slower than wired charging and my commutes and drives throughout the day aren't very long, so I need all the juice I can get, in a short period of time. So I'll be plugging in, regardless.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Just had my Pioneer Wireless aftermarket installed & CarPlay is so cool! This is my first experience with it, so I'm sure I'll be adapting (and IOS13 will be released in about a month or so, so it won't be a drastic change since I'm just getting used to everything, lol)

I also picked up a Belkin wireless car charger, so I'll see how that works (worst case, I can still do wired CarPlay).Hopefully the wireless charge works well enough for now.

But so far, really enjoying CarPlay.

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Hi,

does anyone else have connection issues after updating to iOS 13?

In the past days it took forever to connect and now I'm at a point where it won't connect at all, no matter how often I try.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Hi,

In the past days it took forever to connect and now I'm at a point where it won't connect at all, no matter how often I try.

I have random connection issues. Sometimes it will fire right up, other times it won't & I'll have to activate the pairing / connection. There's not a specific pattern, but this has happened primarily after updating to IOS 13. I will so....(percentage wise) it connects automatically more often than not, but it's still noticeable how often it doesn't.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Hi,

I have random connection issues. Sometimes it will fire right up, other times it won't & I'll have to activate the pairing / connection. There's not a specific pattern, but this has happened primarily after updating to IOS 13. I will so....(percentage wise) it connects automatically more often than not, but it's still noticeable how often it doesn't.
Me too. Wireless part not working.

I need to plug in now. So barbaric.

Wow I thought it was just me. My Alpine iLx-107 is also taking forever or sometimes won't connect at all. When I look at my phone it says "Turn On Wifi to enable Wireless CarPlay" even if wifi was on the entire time, it's getting annoying.

Chargerdan

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
Glad it isn't just me having these issues. Can't seem to connect to wireless Carplay consistently since the upgrade to iOS13. I've had to connect the cord to the unit more times since iOS13 then the entire time I used iOS12.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Wow I thought it was just me. My Alpine iLx-107 is also taking forever or sometimes won't connect at all. When I look at my phone it says "Turn On Wifi to enable Wireless CarPlay" even if wifi was on the entire time, it's getting annoying.

Glad it isn't just me having these issues. Can't seem to connect to wireless Carplay consistently since the upgrade to iOS13. I've had to connect the cord to the unit more times since iOS13 then the entire time I used iOS12.

I have an Alpine ILX-107 head unit and have no issues connecting to Wireless CarPlay to my Xs Max with iOS 13. Connection is quick and reliable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.