Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Convenience mainly, gets home and just place it and forget. Usually for my daily commute it doesn’t go below 70% anyways so it’ll get full in no time. Sure it does get warmer than plugging it in but I trust it wont go over what apple designed it to.
Plugging the device in is only seconds slower than laying it on a pad plus, you are sure to get a full charge quicker.

FenrirWolf

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2018
Adelaide
Plugging the device in is only seconds slower than laying it on a pad plus, you are sure to get a full charge quicker.

It doesn’t charge that slow wirelessly. Even if I need to use the pods, the case can continue charging. Plus the charging pad can charge 2 devices at once and only need one charger. I also plan to get an iPhone 11 soon and I’m pretty sure wireless charging that wouldn’t be any slower than the included 5w charger. It could even be a little faster.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
It doesn’t charge that slow wirelessly. Even if I need to use the pods, the case can continue charging. Plus the charging pad can charge 2 devices at once and only need one charger. I also plan to get an iPhone 11 soon and I’m pretty sure wireless charging that wouldn’t be any slower than the included 5w charger. It could even be a little faster.
I use a 12 watt charger.

peaceActivist

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
I've experienced similar charging issues. I'm using the mophie stream pad plus (10w advertised) qi charger. When I placed the airpods on the center of the pad the mophie LED would blink rapidly indicating that there's a foreign object on the pad, thus not charging.

Experimenting a bit, I placed it above center just below the connecting usb cable to qi pad. The mophie LED stayed on for a couple minutes then turned off but when I tapped the APP case, it lit up amber/orange...indicating it's charging still? I'll find out soon enough. I left it on the pad close to midnight in this state and will check back in an hour or so. It was at 42% before I placed it on.

EDIT:
Just took it off the charger. Now showing 81%. Guess it's all about placement?

Last edited:

SonofAnarchy69

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
Hello.

I have found the fix. It’s the metal hinge on the back of the AirPods Pro Charging Case that somehow interferes with wireless charging...let’s call it WC...

Solution is try to put a silicone case on your APPro Case and your wireless charging should not interrupt anymore.

Please try give your results here. Naked vs w/ case.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I have found the fix. It’s the metal hinge on the back of the AirPods Pro Charging Case that somehow interferes with wireless charging...let’s call it WC...
WC?

It’d be a pretty massive oversight by Apple if a metal hinge on the back of a wireless chargeable device hindered that function.

SonofAnarchy69

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
WC?

It’d be a pretty massive oversight by Apple if a metal hinge on the back of a wireless chargeable device hindered that function.

Yes it would be but this fixed my issue after 3 exchanges. Belkin wireless charger 7.5W from the Apple Store and the case I’m using is the Catalyst. No more issues. Put a case on the case. Pretty much like put a bumper on your iPhone 4.

I stand by my statement. Give it a try people. Nothing to lose.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Hello All,
I did noticed that the correct silicon case has yielded better results and I don't think about this issue as much anymore. While that is hard to believe, i'm going to rather assume it was a firmware fix that might of correct this.

i'll check again today but lately, i haven't really thought about this issue as much.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Hello.

Solution is try to put a silicone case on your APPro Case and your wireless charging should not interrupt anymore.

Please try give your results here. Naked vs w/ case.
so WTF OMG apple, I put on the $2.99 silicon case I bought a few weeks back and put it on my anker pad and SURE ENOUGH it charges now just fine. Whereas without the case the orange light comes on, then summarily goes OUT and it DOES NOT CHARGE

i doubt then can fix this in post.

SonofAnarchy69

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
so WTF OMG apple, I put on the $2.99 silicon case I bought a few weeks back and put it on my anker pad and SURE ENOUGH it charges now just fine. Whereas without the case the orange light comes on, then summarily goes OUT and it DOES NOT CHARGE

i doubt then can fix this in post.

We shall talk when you are less enraged, curse less and act mature. But you got to admit you can’t deny so far people have reported better yields with a case on. Let’s just wait and keep checking this thread without engaging any further. Let’s wait what the peeps have to say!

Better yields with silicone case on gentle/men/ladies?

Last edited:

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I thought I had a wireless charger issue for my AirPods but it came down to placement. Some wireless chargers seem to have sweet spots and the one I was having issues with does, apparently.

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
Same issues over here with my APPs. I have the Air Pods pro case from INCASE that is sold in the Apple store and I am using a Belkin Qi charger sold by Apple also. Sometimes it just shuts off after a couple of minutes, sometimes it charges all the way. So these are not defunct APP that I should return but a design thing instead. Correct? Thx for your advice.

Reactions: pmac99

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
Same issues over here with my APPs. I have the Air Pods pro case from INCASE that is sold in the Apple store and I am using a Belkin Qi charger sold by Apple also. Sometimes it just shuts off after a couple of minutes, sometimes it charges all the way. So these are not defunct APP that I should return but a design thing instead. Correct? Thx for your advice.

That's weird. I remember reading that Samsung and Belkin wireless chargers work fine with the APP. FWIW, I use a cheap Choetech charger that works great with my iPhone, but exhibits the same behavior you described of shutting off after a couple of minutes with the APP.

For now, I've just decided to use a lightning cable to charge. Sucks that we paid for a wireless charging case and can't use it. Just add it to the list of problems with the AirPods Pro which are described on this forum and that the usual Apple "tech pundits" are choosing to ignore.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
My APP charge fine wirelessly using this charger from Aliexpress. It might help that each device has its own cable & plug, also uses the Apple charging puck for the watch
1581531366693.jpeg

uguina

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2015
hello, the same thing happens to me, I put the airpods pro to the wireless charger and after 10 minutes it stops charging. I don't know if it would only happen with the first airpods pro. Has someone changed the case of the airpods pro and when giving a new one in an apple store, did this work correctly?

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
Can anyone recommend a wireless charger that will reliably charge phone, airpods pro and watch? Seems to be myriad of options out there. Would need lights/leds to be off at night, as wanting to use when travelling (sometime in the future) and in hotel rooms...

uguina

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2015
I have already tried three chargers, and the same happens to me with all three. Charges, and after 5 minutes for, and then, charger frequencies, it starts again. all three said they were valid for pro airpods, one from baseus, another from yootech and finally at Choetech, which I enclose with 5 coils . https://www.amazon.es/CHOETECH-Carg...ambrico&qid=1587169204&sprefix=choete&sr=8-12
I called Apple and, according to them, they don't know about this problem. Any solution, or someone who changed the cargo box and fixed it?
367d23bca1be0e7dfebce24e08761608.jpg

Vikas Mehta

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2020
Well to Those who found the problem with the metal hinge which interferes with the wireless charging mat, are COMPLETELY WRONG!. The Material of the hinge has nothing to do with charging mat. I face similar problems with my Airpods 2 with Wireless charging. And to those who are casual about this problem as they can charge with the cable anyhow, i paid extra money to get Airpods 2 with wireless charging case, so why should i not worry about the extra money i paid and its not working.

The issue is completely with overheating of the case as most of the mats have heat protection and cut off.

Someone suggested in another forum to try charging them on the wireless mat without the airpods inside the case and it worked for them. I am gonna try the same as i have lost hope with Apple Folks who changed my Case already in warranty but the problem persists. I use Huawei CP60 and a belkin wireless charger but both failed.

Reactions: hn333

hn333

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2020
Just got an APP and I placed it on my cheap ten dollar Anker wireless charger. It charges for a while and then turns off. A few minutes later it turns back on. It keeps doing that until it’s fully charged.

Reactions: whsbuss

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
No issues with mine. I used a choetech panda charger as and a anker MagSafe charger for mine. Charges fine.

Reactions: hn333

pmac99

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2020
Toronto, ON, CA
Any update on this?
I have this exact same combination, but for me, instead of the APP charging and stopping, they randomly refuse to start charging at all !

truelies

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
My Nokia wiress charger also has this on/off problem. I believe it happens after the earphones reach 100% but the case doesn't.
Did anybody try apple's own charger, magsafe?

Soondae

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BC356C7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought the Samsung Fast Charger and I'm happy to report that it does work to fully charge the APP. However, as others here have reported with other chargers, it turns off and then back on occasionally. I waited until I had almost 0% charge on the case, placed it on the charger and noticed the charger light turned off a few times but then came back on a few seconds later. It charged to 100% and the charger was still lit up. Maybe my Mophie charger would have turned back on after a few seconds, I was never patient enough. I'll have to pull it from the drawer and give it another chance. Someone here explained the details of how these charge and that makes sense that it fluctuates. As long as they fully charge, I am happy.
I believe the throttling during wireless charge is built in the circuitry of the APP case. I thought I read that somewhere on the Apple support website. My APP always charged awhile, then the charge light on my pad would go out, then come back on in a bit until it reached full charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.