Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JTK Awesome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
Asking regarding my WfH setup with my employer-supplied Windows 10 PC. We are allowed to use our own peripherals (including Bluetooth) but we cannot install any software or drivers. (Our IT won’t install anything either. Don’t even ask.)

There are so many good choices (a Jabra Evolve2 75 would be perfect for me) but Jabra, Poly, Logi, Yealink, and MS all want you to install their app for headset settings, features, and firmware updates.

Is there anything that’s truly plug-and-play with no software needed? Again, this must be an MS Teams headset (not UC - we use Teams for just about everything; I’d put the Teams-specific functionality to good use) and it must be wireless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Donfor39

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Asking regarding my WfH setup with my employer-supplied Windows 10 PC. We are allowed to use our own peripherals (including Bluetooth) but we cannot install any software or drivers. (Our IT won’t install anything either. Don’t even ask.)

There are so many good choices (a Jabra Evolve2 75 would be perfect for me) but Jabra, Poly, Logi, Yealink, and MS all want you to install their app for headset settings, features, and firmware updates.

Is there anything that’s truly plug-and-play with no software needed? Again, this must be an MS Teams headset (not UC - we use Teams for just about everything; I’d put the Teams-specific functionality to good use) and it must be wireless.
I too have a W10 work laptop that's completely locked down and we also use MS Teams exclusively

I am not sure what extra functionality you are expecting with the custom drivers but I have found the stock W10 drivers seem to work fine

I use my Razer BT and USB dongle/antenna mouse and of course cant install the drivers but it works fine with the default MS ones

I have only used my wireless buds a few times but they too seemed fine

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Why not just install the Jabra, and handle the firmware updates, etc. on your PC? Just plug things into your PC for the five minutes, twice per year, that the update would take, and make any config changes to the headset settings at that time too?

Later Edit: When I say "your PC" I mean a personal or home PC on which you have admin rights.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

You really don't need the Jabra software to use the headset.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

JTK Awesome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
My home “PC” is a Mac 👋

I guess that’s one way to do it, install the vendor software on the Mac and move the dongle between machines as needed. Assuming this idea works, i.e. the headset and its settings don’t care that it’s being moved between two computers.

So, who has the least crappy Mac software? 😅

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
My home “PC” is a Mac 👋

I guess that’s one way to do it, install the vendor software on the Mac and move the dongle between machines as needed.

So, who has the least crappy Mac software? 😅
Again, the software isn't necessary to use the headset at all, and you can even use it as a bluetooth device if you'd prefer.

JTK Awesome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
I am not sure what extra functionality you are expecting with the custom drivers but I have found the stock W10 drivers seem to work fine

Not worried so much about gaining functionality as losing it. Every headset’s setup instructions start with downloading the vendor’s app.

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Again, the software isn't necessary to use the headset at all, and you can even use it as a bluetooth device if you'd prefer.
We deployed about 200 Jabra headsets throughout the enterprise. For highest quality, you really want to use the little dongle. The sales reps will tell you this too, and in our testing, those who pooh-poohed this and used only BT had significantly lower quality (until they flipped to the dongle).

Reactions: BigMcGuire

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Not worried so much about gaining functionality as losing it. Every headset’s setup instructions start with downloading the vendor’s app.
Of course. But he's right, the software isn't required, it's only nice to have, for most hardware like this.

Reactions: JTK Awesome

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I use a Mac and spend most of my day on MS Teams. I use AirPods for the output and my MBP mic as the input to keep the audio quality high and not to drain the batteries on the AirPods.

While we do our dev in W11 in Parallels, I find that bluetooth audio through Parallels isn't all that great so I make sure Teams is installed on Mac and that works best.

Been doing this for years - works pretty well - except when you need to go to the restroom - then it's : "I need to step away, I'll be on mute but I'll hear everything" lol.

I had a Jabra gifted to me so I might give that a try, but I really like my AirPods and Mac setup.

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Been doing this for years - works pretty well - except when you need to go to the restroom - then it's : "I need to step away, I'll be on mute but I'll hear everything" lol.
...at least, you hope you're on mute.

And that's why for professional use, even at home (especially at home?) I will always recommend a Jabra device with a boom mic, so that the mic can be swung up so you absolutely, positively will be on mute when you want to be.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
...at least, you hope you're on mute.

And that's why for professional use, even at home (especially at home?) I will always recommend a Jabra device with a boom mic, so that the mic can be swung up so you absolutely, positively will be on mute when you want to be.
Hah - my security is that I have the Mic input set to my MacBook Pro which stays on my desk while I just take my AirPods to the restroom. But I didn't know that about Jabra - I was curious why they're so popular. Interesting.

And yes, I lucked out, at home.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I use my AirPods Pro with my Win10 work laptop and have zero issues. Just have to go through Bluetooth pairing. Then when you want to use them, you have to go into Bluetooth devices and activate the AirPods.

JTK Awesome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
I use my AirPods Pro with my Win10 work laptop and have zero issues. Just have to go through Bluetooth pairing. Then when you want to use them, you have to go into Bluetooth devices and activate the AirPods.

I do this now but I’m looking for the added on-device Teams functionality.

VampyricGentleman

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2022
South Wales, UK
Personally I’ve been using the Poly Voyager Focus 2 directly connected to my M1 MacBook Pro 16 inch.

A tip that will save you a bit of cash is to check eBay their pricing is often a lot cheaper than elsewhere. I think I saved about 25%

Reactions: Donfor39

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
You could always install the companion app on a different machine to change hardware settings and do firmware updates. I know I did this at one point with a work headset.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I do not think the vendor app is mandatory for general use. Its more bloat than function other than possibly some firmware update that can be done on another laptop.

JTK Awesome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
Jabra Evolve2/65 is very good; we have hundreds of them. Software not required.

Decided to cash in some Amazon Prime Card rewards and get one (and a charging stand, too). Seems far and away the best out there based on many reviews across many sites - even compared to Jabra's more expensive headsets (like the 75 I linked in my OP).

engbren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
Australia
My former workplace issued headsets for Teams to staff. They issued either Poly Voyager's or Jabra Evolves. I personally had the Poly Voyager Focus (mine was a gen 1 so it was actually a Plantronics Voyager Focus) but it was close to a 50/50 split between Plantronics/Poly and Jabra. Those that had Jabra's raved about them, so I'm sure it will work well.

sparkygr

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2009
I do work from home since the start of the pandemic, and I own Jabra Evolve 75 (evolve 65 2 were not available as an option at the time of buy).
At the moment (due to hardware failure) I have a temporary windows work PC.
Have not installed the Jabra software, but everything works as expected:
- Raising the mic, in addition to “hardware mute” mutes teams mic too
- answering an incoming call from my iPhone, puts teams call on hold (as many headsets, Jabra evolve supports multipoint bluetooth, ie connecting to more than one devices at the same time)
- ending active call from iPhone, resumes teams call

All the above are done with just connecting the Jabra (bluetooth) dongle to windows pc, no special drivers or software. On my previous work pc, I did have Jabra software installed, but I do not recall of any other “features” except some firmware updates (more or less one every three-four months).

To be honest, during rhe last year, I might recieved only one firmware update. My guess is that, as millions of people worked for home for the last three years, bugs and features were worked out, especially with teams (obviously a go-to solution for many businesses that rely on MS office 365).

The good thing about Jabra usb dongle, is that you can move it around different PCs, and it will work as expected (presents itself as usb audio card). No need to pair it with the PC itself.
I have also installed Jabra software on my iMac (installed it couple of years ago, when trying to use my iMac as part of a “hybrid” WFH setup). You can keep it for checking current firmware, changing default settings (ie default state of headset noise cancellation), works good, but I cannot find any other good use. Just remember, after installation, to disable starting with your mac!

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Why to disable starting with one’s Mac? (If one uses it on a Mac, I suppose).

Jozone

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
If its not too late, I would encourage you to look into the Engage 75 Stereo instead of the Evolve. If you're like me and literally need to wear this thing all day everyday lightness counts for a lot, and the Engage 75 Stereo is the lightest, non-clampiest best headset I've ever used. I've tested everything prior to doing a major enterprise purchase a few years ago. The MSRP on them is outrageous, but you can find NIB ones on eBay for much better prices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.