Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JTK Awesome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
We deployed about 200 Jabra headsets throughout the enterprise. For highest quality, you really want to use the little dongle. The sales reps will tell you this too, and in our testing, those who pooh-poohed this and used only BT had significantly lower quality (until they flipped to the dongle).

Between my new WfH keyboard (Dell KB700) and my headset research, I had an eye-opening education on this point. The KB700 is 3-device Bluetooth, with one of those devices permanently paired to the included USB dongle. The expectation is the dongle goes to your PC, and the remaining "slots" are for pairing with a smartphone and tablet. It was a head-scratcher to find a Bluetooth device that more-or-less needs its BT dongle, instead of just pairing directly to the computer's internal BT.

After finding the same paradigm with wireless headsets, I found this video, and it made a little more sense.

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
What's the summary on why it's required?

To hear it from Jabra, the dongle, a 2.4 ghz gizmo, is significantly higher quality and has significantly more bandwidth than the bluetooth side, plus it offers the convenience of "just working" with no configuration required. Bluetooth hookup, for some, remains problematic.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I assume like my Razer mouse, I use my dongle on one laptop and use BT on another so no re-paring required when I swap laptops its just a toggle switch on the mouse (up BT, middle off, down dongle)

This is very convenient as the dongle is USB A and my MBPM216 is only USB C unlike my work Dell laptop that has both :)

Last edited:

JTK Awesome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
If its not too late, I would encourage you to look into the Engage 75 Stereo instead of the Evolve. If you're like me and literally need to wear this thing all day everyday lightness counts for a lot, and the Engage 75 Stereo is the lightest, non-clampiest best headset I've ever used. I've tested everything prior to doing a major enterprise purchase a few years ago. The MSRP on them is outrageous, but you can find NIB ones on eBay for much better prices.

What I'd really like are these - cost the same on Amazon as the 65 headset + charging stand - but the reviews aren't great.

https://www.jabra.com/business/office-headsets/jabra-evolve/jabra-evolve2-buds

0c5ab86a0c735ef299fdd2a566c0672f99c99bf5_evolve2_buds_ms_usba_01.png

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I'd never suggest a mic that didn't have a visible boom swing out mic (with auto-mute) in a professional situation. To me those without basic safe controls are just consumer products or short term use products.

One still routinely hears stories of problems with people who think they're on mute and...ahem, they're not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.