Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

josephddd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2018
Hi all!

I own an iPhone 6 with iOS 9.3.3. I didn't update my iPhone because I was afraid that it will go slow. But now, I reached the situation when I can no longer download new apps because the App Store is requesting at least iOS 10. (when I'm downloading a new app, I download it first on the iPhone of one of my family member, then the App Store on my iPhone allows me to download an older version of the app).

Long ago, my iPhone downloaded iOS 10.2.1 in the Settings menu. I tried to push the "install" button but my iPhone says "unable to verify update". I guess that is because Apple is no longer signing it?

My questions are the following:

- is there any way to update to iOS 10.2.1 from 9.3.3 ?
- if no, should I update the iPhone 6 to 12.1.2 or should I keep it under 9.3.3 because the newest firmware will turn it very slow?

Thank you!

Rhino1

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Your issue shouldn’t be the slow down of your iPhone as a result of iOS 12 install as in most cases apps will load around the same or slightly slower (depending on developer optimisations). iOS built in apps will load about the same or even faster then 9.3.3.

However; your primary concern should be battery life. This will take a hit 100%. Whoever tells you otherwise has never really measured their usage and has a charger with them at all times.

Simple way to put this is;

If you need the latest updates for your apps then you have already answered your question so upgrade. If however you do not need the latest updates or the additional few features that iOS 12 brings and are happy with your phone as it is then stick with iOS 9.3.3.

Reactions: guesswho183

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Hi all!

I own an iPhone 6 with iOS 9.3.3. I didn't update my iPhone because I was afraid that it will go slow. But now, I reached the situation when I can no longer download new apps because the App Store is requesting at least iOS 10. (when I'm downloading a new app, I download it first on the iPhone of one of my family member, then the App Store on my iPhone allows me to download an older version of the app).

Long ago, my iPhone downloaded iOS 10.2.1 in the Settings menu. I tried to push the "install" button but my iPhone says "unable to verify update". I guess that is because Apple is no longer signing it?

- if no, should I update the iPhone 6 to 12.1.2 or should I keep it under 9.3.3 because the newest firmware will turn it very slow?

Thank you!
absolutely not.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Cant beat plucking out some random statement about battery life.....will be completely different for all users in reality based on his phone hardware, apps, usage etc. I'm on a 6S and having no issues on the latest iOS. My battery life isnt great but its more to do with the fact the battery is getting on a bit and needs replacing not the iOS thats installed.

I'd hazard a guess that if the opening poster was willing to set up as a new phone rather than use a backup and install the latest software it will run better and longer than it has for quite a while. This was something i found happened a lot with my phones in the past. I had my contacts etc backed up via google, didnt care about keeping months and years of text messages and was quite refreshing to start from scratch with apps to clear out ones i didnt need....phone would be like new afterwards.

Reactions: martyjmclean

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Cant beat plucking out some random statement about battery life.....will be completely different for all users in reality based on his phone hardware, apps, usage etc. I'm on a 6S and having no issues on the latest iOS. My battery life isnt great but its more to do with the fact the battery is getting on a bit and needs replacing not the iOS thats installed.

I'd hazard a guess that if the opening poster was willing to set up as a new phone rather than use a backup and install the latest software it will run better and longer than it has for quite a while. This was something i found happened a lot with my phones in the past. I had my contacts etc backed up via google, didnt care about keeping months and years of text messages and was quite refreshing to start from scratch with apps to clear out ones i didnt need....phone would be like new afterwards.

Sorry that's wrong.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Sorry that's wrong.
Ok, but i'm just going on what i've done with my iPhones in the past. Always had them on the latest software and never suffered any issues. The only time i had a real issue was my 3GS that i had jailbroken and messed about with and some of the stuff i'd added started messing the phone up making it slow. Just set up as new and it worked fine again.

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
I would update ASAP!! Aside from the fact that you're 3 years out of security updates (OMG) it's not as bad as some people complain. My dad has a 6 Plus and it works perfectly when I have to tinker with it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Your battery will be reduced in half.
As I'm your battery might be affected to some degree?
[doublepost=1545319598][/doublepost]
Hi all!

Thank you!
Some existing threads about this kind of thing can be of some help:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-12-on-iphone-6-plus.2160939/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-9-should-i-update.2159366/

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Wow I really underestimated the amount of people who stayed on older iOS versions. I thought we were even more of a fringe case within forum users. (I know that, unfortunately, the overall rate remains overwhelmingly high).
Anyway, battery life will be reduced by around half. Don't do it. Performance will be fine with first party apps, unsure about third party ones - for example, demanding games - as my iPhone 6s is on iOS 9.
If you value battery life whatsoever, you will not be happy.
[doublepost=1545320269][/doublepost]

This is not true. I have a 6s with the original battery on iOS 9. Easily north of 8 hours on-screen. Your problem isn't the battery's age, your problem is the iOS version.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
This is not true. I have a 6s with the original battery on iOS 9. Easily north of 8 hours on-screen. Your problem isn't the battery's age, your problem is the iOS version.
If i check the new function that Apple included it tells me my battery needs Servicing as its at 75% of capacity...thats not an issue with my version of iOS its the fact the battery is knackered!! It even has "Service" against Battery Health.

I was hoping to get it done before the cheap price from Apple runs out but not sure i will get a chance now annoyingly. All this said if i use the Low Power mode on occasions when i need to then i'm fine, most of the time i'm at home, in the car or at work so have charging options available.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
If i check the new function that Apple included it tells me my battery needs Servicing as its at 75% of capacity...thats not an issue with my version of iOS its the fact the battery is knackered!! It even has "Service" against Battery Health.

I was hoping to get it done before the cheap price from Apple runs out but not sure i will get a chance now annoyingly. All this said if i use the Low Power mode on occasions when i need to then i'm fine, most of the time i'm at home, in the car or at work so have charging options available.
You will replace the battery, you will have 100% health. You will not match my battery life. At most, you'll get 5-6 hours.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
You will replace the battery, you will have 100% health. You will not match my battery life. At most, you'll get 5-6 hours.
Maybe so, maybe not but as long as the phone does what i need it to do I dont really care whether its matching yours. I'd probably favour the newer software version over a couple of hours battery life anyway.

Knight3

Suspended
Oct 19, 2018
Ok, but i'm just going on what i've done with my iPhones in the past. Always had them on the latest software and never suffered any issues. The only time i had a real issue was my 3GS that i had jailbroken and messed about with and some of the stuff i'd added started messing the phone up making it slow. Just set up as new and it worked fine again.

Don't worry about him he's just a troll.
[doublepost=1545328724][/doublepost]

It'd be stupid to think you could actually match the same battery life with a version that's three iterations over. It's like asking an Intel Pentium II PC to run Windows 10 just as well or better.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Maybe so, maybe not but as long as the phone does what i need it to do I dont really care whether its matching yours. I'd probably favour the newer software version over a couple of hours battery life anyway.
Ah, of course. What you favour is absolutely acceptable. I wouldn't like to have a 5-hour battery life, because in the - admittedly few and far in between - days I need the battery life, I can count on it being there.
In my opinion, the tradeoffs of updating are never worth it. You might disagree, and that's absolutely fine, too. Now, if you asked me for advice, I'd tell you not to update. That doesn't mean updating doesn't have any valid reasons, but it doesn't mean that if I suggest not to update I'm trying to screw you over. I genuinely think it's a better choice. One with drawbacks? Absolutely. One with drawbacks serious enough for anyone to disregard the advantages? Yes, indeed, without a shadow of a doubt.
That's valid too.
[doublepost=1545336427][/doublepost]
Don't worry about him he's just a troll.
[doublepost=1545328724][/doublepost]

It'd be stupid to think you could actually match the same battery life with a version that's three iterations over. It's like asking an Intel Pentium II PC to run Windows 10 just as well or better.
Maybe, but it is a drawback of updating that has to be considered thoughtfully.

Knight3

Suspended
Oct 19, 2018
Maybe, but it is a drawback of updating that has to be considered thoughtfully.

Nothing ever would have all the benefits with none of the downsides. You want security and new features, you update. You don't care about any of that and just the battery life, you keep your current version.

Reactions: FeliApple

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Nothing ever would have all the benefits with none of the downsides. You want security and new features, you update. You don't care about any of that and just the battery life, you keep your current version.
Wholeheartedly agree, with a slight caveat: It's not that I don't care about new features, and, more importantly, it's not that I don't care about app support (I'd like to download a lot of apps that I cannot download because my iOS version is too old. That will keep getting worse), it's that I'm not willing to sacrifice performance and battery life for those.

Knight3

Suspended
Oct 19, 2018
Wholeheartedly agree, with a slight caveat: It's not that I don't care about new features, and, more importantly, it's not that I don't care about app support (I'd like to download a lot of apps that I cannot download because my iOS version is too old. That will keep getting worse), it's that I'm not willing to sacrifice performance and battery life for those.

Like I said, depends on your priorities.

Reactions: FeliApple

xXRainKingXx

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2018
The slow down won't bother you unless you care about saving 0.5 seconds when you open an app, but the battery life has gotten gradually worse with each iOS update.

josephddd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2018
Thank you very much for all your feedbacks. Unfortunately my iPhone 6 made a reboot loop few weeks ago and iTunes doesn't want to restore it..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.