Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
I can only back up the battery life experience. My 6s has a fairly new battery (7 months, 95%, changed by apple store), but it’s really really terrible on iOS 12. I usually don’t get through the day. Usage time is usually barely above 2 hours!

Note with iOS 12 it’s not straightforward to see the battery usage you get. I found the only reliable way to compare is to charge full during the night, then take it off in the morning and when you want to check, go to the battery settings, click on the 10day report, and select the current day. This will tell you onscreen and offscreen time for the current day, which will correspond to the values since the last full charge if you didn’t recharge inbetween.

The usage values you see if you don’t do that are useless, as they are for the past 24 hours, which usually include at least one recharge...

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hi all!

I own an iPhone 6 with iOS 9.3.3. I didn't update my iPhone because I was afraid that it will go slow. But now, I reached the situation when I can no longer download new apps because the App Store is requesting at least iOS 10. (when I'm downloading a new app, I download it first on the iPhone of one of my family member, then the App Store on my iPhone allows me to download an older version of the app).

Long ago, my iPhone downloaded iOS 10.2.1 in the Settings menu. I tried to push the "install" button but my iPhone says "unable to verify update". I guess that is because Apple is no longer signing it?

My questions are the following:

- is there any way to update to iOS 10.2.1 from 9.3.3 ?
- if no, should I update the iPhone 6 to 12.1.2 or should I keep it under 9.3.3 because the newest firmware will turn it very slow?

Thank you!
In plain English: "No". Keep it on iOS 9. iOs 12 will turn it slow and eat almost 60% of battery life.

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
In plain English: "No". Keep it on iOS 9. iOs 12 will turn it slow and eat almost 60% of battery life.

The dip in battery life is true, but I haven't experienced it becoming slower. So whether to upgrade depends on whether battery life or app compatibility is more important.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hi. Can you explain App compatibility to me from a to z pease. Cause I honestly see don't see app incompatibility on my 6s on iOS 10 and iOS 11 and in iOS 12 now. Still use Mail for emailing, Safari for browsing, Maps for directions, Reminders, Notes, Calendar, Photos, Contacts, and clock to wake me up from my mid-day nap. And they do exactly the same things on any OS. OK, Notes can scan pics or text now, I now have a nifty small program called Measures that I love. But I still use Letgo, Kijiji, eBay, Amazon, Flipboard, News 360, Buzzfeed, Reddit, Google News, SmartNews and some local news apps without any change at all. Maybe I don't get the app compatibility thing cause I'm far from a power user and still view my iPhone as a phone first and foremost. Not a camera or a dignified iPod. Sincerely, explain the thing if I may ask cause I hear a lot about it.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
OP said back in April that his phone had bootlooped and hasn't been seen since. Pretty sure we're not going to get an update on this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.