Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you moving back to MBP 16" because of the dead of the butterfly keyboard?

• Yes

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 25 43.9%
  • Maybe. Need to see how the new keyboard behaves in the next few months

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Open to suggestions

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
IPP is to too limited for my needs

It's far from what I need most of the time, but for when I am moving around, meetings and the like it is all I need at that time and very fast and efficient for that purpose. I do save everything to Onedrive though as it is better even if I need to access a saved doc from any platform.

Queen6

macrumors G4
It's far from what I need most of the time, but for when I am moving around, meetings and the like it is all I need at that time and very fast and efficient for that purpose. I do save everything to Onedrive though as it is better even if I need to access a saved doc from any platform.

Doing the same, with all the benefits of a full OS, in a smaller format than most would imagine...

Q-6

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Considering they've improved the value proposition greatly compared to where we were with the 2019 15" I'm now pretty set on staying with MBP, having said this, I'm not jumping right in. I'm waiting a few months to see how it holds up with people using it day in and out, this also gives the benefit of avoiding any initial batch issues (seem to get a slightly higher rate of manufacturing defects in the initial production run) and any supply constraint should I encounter any issues and need to swap the unit. Getting it £1-200 under the MSRP to put towards the cost of new dongles, cables, USB C accessories and that £20 power lead that used to come in the box would also be nice...

It will also be interesting to see where things go with a potential 14" (don't know that I'd get on with a sub 15.4" screen, but worth a look if it's 14.4" or so) or 15" MacBook Air and what's happening with the ARM transition and/ or a full redesign with the rumoured mini LED (HDR, ProMotion?) display.

For others who are actually doing intensive work, I would observe the graphics, while a big jump over the 15" it replaces, are still miles behind a Windows competitor... you can easily get an RTX 2070 laptop for £2,400, and while it's not going to be as sleek, it will certainly offer it's own set of benefits (user serviceable storage and RAM at the least, full 4K displays are quite common as well).

Reactions: Mendota

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
1. No bootcamp drivers for running Windows natively yet. This is strange as previous ones all had bootcamp Windows support. 2. Cannot install Linux. 3. Does not have Nvidia GPU nor can I use eGPU.

Can anybody think of solutions for these three issues?
Solutions:
1. Wait, Apple will release them
2. Install linux on an external drive or a VM
3. Use a laptop that has a Nvidia gpu

Reactions: Queen6 and hajime

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Solutions:
1. Wait, Apple will release them
2. Install linux on an external drive or a VM
3. Use a laptop that has a Nvidia gpu

Any good and reliable source on installing Linux on an external drive? If I do that, can I use the external drive as a boot drive and run Linux natively? I recall reading a post about disabling the secure boot option to run os from external drive but doing that disables the internal ssd.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Im sure there are but since this its not a need that I have, I haven't done any research

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
People are making assumptions that the new keyboard will not have any issues.

Unless people need a MBP now, I would wait on the 16" to see what issues do show up.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
For the small number of professionals that use MBP (by Apples own metrics) for their bread and butter $3-6k is small change and most units will pay for themselves in a matter of days and buying multiple units for back-up spares is a given and gets around many issues

However for the prosummer/enthusiast I am always amazed how they come back for more, it seems its no matter how many times they are kicked, tortured and deprived

The slightest sniff of an esc key or KB washes away all sins and greases credit cards

I'm glad my addictions lie elsewhere :D

Last edited:

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Based on my experience with the 15" 2018 I have for work, oh heck yeah! It fixes 2 of the most annoying things about the 15". However, I am disappointed they couldn't make it a tiny bit thicker and accomodate a replaceable SSD and RAM!

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Queen6

macrumors G4
For the small number of professionals that use MBP (by Apples own metrics) for their bread and butter $3-6k is small change and most units will pay for themselves in a matter of days and buying multiple units for back-up spares is a given and gets around many issues

However for the prosummer/enthusiast I am always amazed how they come back for more, it seems its no matter how many times they are kicked, tortured and depraved

The slightest sniff of an esc key or KB washes away all sins and greases credit cards

I'm glad my addictions lie elsewhere :D

Fewer that purchase will serve to make Apple hungrier and potentially deliver what they should have done in the first place, although I'm now of the opinion Apple is incapable of delivering a solid solution, too lazy & greedy by a wide margin.

New 16" MBP is close to what should have been released in 2016, as opposed to the garbage many have suffered in recent years, you were warned. Apple releases a spectacular notebook I'll consider, in the meantime just No, nothing remotely compelling as of now.

Pricing not being the issue, design and execution being everything - Try function over form and Apple might just regain some respect...

Q-6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I definitely can see the allure, and why some recent switchers jumped back to the MBP - I think the keyboard was the major factor that drove people away and with a new keyboard they're coming back to the apple fold.

Sticking with that for now, was nearly impulse buying the 16" but I stopped myself, I wouldn't have kept it, I know I would be like "too big..".
For me, bigger is better, as I get older I want a larger screen :) I hopefully won't succumb to the impulse buy when I visit the apple store but I'm pretty content with my setup. If I could afford it, I would probably take the plunge and get the 17" Razer but that's crazy expensive.

I'm about to fire up Steam and play one of my games, something that I really can't do with a Mac - at least with the games that interest me.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
For me, bigger is better, as I get older I want a larger screen

I agree although I will be a desktop user for as long as possible, I could never replace the real estate of 2x 25" monitors with a laptop (unless docked and using the 2 screens).

This is why I am more easily dodging this impulse buy as the 16" overall is too big to be portable enough for my use case.

I'm about to fire up Steam and play one of my games, something that I really can't do with a Mac - at least with the games that interest me.

Don't think I will give up my PC for that purpose, plus it provides separation, I have never seen Mac as a gaming machine, I have tried on the mini but it's meh. Gaming on a laptop, I guess I am just to old school to see laptops as gaming machines.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Gaming on a laptop, I guess I am just to old school to see laptops as gaming machines.
I didn't buy this model for gaming, but its an added benefit :)

I was looking and bought a Razer last year thinking I'd be more into gaming but the experience wasn't great - it was the 15" Razer though. 17" would be a plus, but I just don't want to spend over 3k for a laptop - hence my not getting a MBP

I agree although I will be a desktop user for as long as possible, I could never replace the real estate of 2x 25" monitors with a laptop (unless docked and using the 2 screens).
I'm eyeballing a handful of 34" ulttra wides. A couple of LG's and one or two Dells. I was going to get a 4k but I'd have to scale it up (again my poor eyesight) and lose much of the benefit of screen real estate. The 3440 x 1440 resolution in a 34" form factor means I shouldn't need to scale it up (I hope).

Reactions: LeeW

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I didn't buy this model for gaming, but its an added benefit :)

I was looking and bought a Razer last year thinking I'd be more into gaming but the experience wasn't great - it was the 15" Razer though. 17" would be a plus, but I just don't want to spend over 3k for a laptop - hence my not getting a MBP

I'm eyeballing a handful of 34" ulttra wides. A couple of LG's and one or two Dells. I was going to get a 4k but I'd have to scale it up (again my poor eyesight) and lose much of the benefit of screen real estate. The 3440 x 1440 resolution in a 34" form factor means I shouldn't need to scale it up (I hope).
I remember your detailed Razer review and thoughts :)

Some of your niggles are now resolved but yes they are somewhat high priced

However like you a 15" has now become the minimum necessity for long sessions thanks to eyesight and age

For this reason I am now trying out 4K OLED and the experience is exceptional IMO although it's probably cheaper to get lens replacement surgery LOL

Reactions: Queen6

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
There are things I love about the MacBook Pro and ultimately they have fixed a few of the annoyances but I definitely don't see myself upgrading to the 16". I'm much more likely to buy a Windows based suplemental machine, maybe even build a desktop, to go with my current 15". I think those that were on the fence, and the situation is that only a MacBook Pro will suffice, should be very happy with the changes they made.

The 16" MacBook Pro is very much the refined and best version of the design they've had since 2016. It still only has 4 TB ports, a Touch Bar, very little repairability. I don't really see anybody that didn't like the ones before it liking the new one even with the better keyboard.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I considered taking back my 13" MacBook Pro and buying the 16", but ultimately I've decided Mac just is not going to work for my use case. I had high hopes that an eGPU would bridge the gap between Mac and Windows for gaming, but there are just too many roadblocks.

1. eGPU support in Bootcamp is non-existent. It takes a ridiculous amount of effort to get this setup to work. In my case, I never could despite trying multiple solutions.
  2. Gaming on Mac took a bigger hit with Catalina as 32 bit apps no longer work. Many of my Steam games that have Mac versions will not run on Catalina at all and no word from devs if they will be updating their apps.
  3. My Steam library is just too large to eliminate Windows entirely. While I love macOS (other than Catalina) and its ecosystem, gaming is still important to me and thus, Windows is primary.
So I ended up trading in my MacBook Pro for a 14" Lenovo Yoga C940. Only had it a day, but will submit a review later in the week.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I am more than likely going to switch back to Mac.... I currently have the 15" Surface Laptop 3 with the Intel chip (bizz version) and the 16" base model I picked up on launch day..

My main complaints with recent MacBooks were the KB and the TB (lack of esc key). Apple solved both of those..

I still dig Windows but macOS offers me ease of handoff and continuity.

My one gripe is Catalina. It's trash at the moment but MS has cruddy releases and updates as well so for the time being, I'll call it a wash and see if Apple can improve on Catalina...
[automerge]1574009037[/automerge]
So I ended up trading in my MacBook Pro for a 14" Lenovo Yoga C940. Only had it a day, but will submit a review later in the week.
My friend has a C940 and she loves that machine so far. I helped her get it all set up and I honestly think that machine is a hidden gem in the PC world as I don't see many peeps talking about it..

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
  1. Gaming on Mac took a bigger hit with Catalina as 32 bit apps no longer work. Many of my Steam games that have Mac versions will not run on Catalina at all and no word from devs if they will be updating their apps.

Them breaking TF2 compatibility has me contemplating building a budget gaming build for $500 or so.

Really that's always been my greatest issue with Macs... do I really rely on my computer enough to justify paying upwards of an entire months gross to get the performance (and enough storage to use Bootcamp for games) I want in a fancy shell?

As I get older the answer becomes much more strongly no. Since work got me a laptop to use, the necessity of me having one is purely for entertainment and the odds and ends of everyday life. Even an iPad would be suitable for that.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I am more than likely going to switch back to Mac.... I currently have the 15" Surface Laptop 3 with the Intel chip (bizz version) and the 16" base model I picked up on launch day..

My main complaints with recent MacBooks were the KB and the TB (lack of esc key). Apple solved both of those..

I still dig Windows but macOS offers me ease of handoff and continuity.

My one gripe is Catalina. It's trash at the moment but MS has cruddy releases and updates as well so for the time being, I'll call it a wash and see if Apple can improve on Catalina...
[automerge]1574009037[/automerge]

My friend has a C940 and she loves that machine so far. I helped her get it all set up and I honestly think that machine is a hidden gem in the PC world as I don't see many peeps talking about it..

seems very good if a max of 16GB is sufficient for ones use.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA

It is nice. I did have to do a clean install of Windows to get rid of all the bloatware that caused a number of errors, but after that it is a really nice running machine. With my eGPU, I'm getting some excellent performance. Example from Unigine Valley running in 4K.

1574016340510.png

Them breaking TF2 compatibility has me contemplating building a budget gaming build for $500 or so.

Really that's always been my greatest issue with Macs... do I really rely on my computer enough to justify paying upwards of an entire months gross to get the performance (and enough storage to use Bootcamp for games) I want in a fancy shell?

As I get older the answer becomes much more strongly no. Since work got me a laptop to use, the necessity of me having one is purely for entertainment and the odds and ends of everyday life. Even an iPad would be suitable for that.

It was a catch 22 for me. My AMD RX 5700 XT wouldn't run in Mojave as it wasn't supported. But the current game I am playing (Pathfinder: Kingmaker) suddenly won't work with Catalina. Kind of hit me hard in the gut when I realized MacBook wasn't going to work for me. I'm still a huge Apple supporter, but it shouldn't be this hard.

Reactions: Mendota

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I checked out the 16" MBP at my local apple store and it's really nice. Beautiful screen, keyboard is decent but it doesn't really do anything more then my current machine. I'm not seeing much of an advantage to spending 2 to 3k on this

Reactions: Queen6

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I am surprised at the number of messages I have been getting with nothing more than "ordered it", knowing I would know what that meant. Or maybe I am not surprised, I swore off Apple after the last 13" with keyboard issues and I guess the surprising changes have been enough to get people buying again. It certainly has made me curious but I am going to hold off and see what happens to the 13". My Mac Mini, IPP, PC and S940 all work well for now.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I checked out the 16" MBP at my local apple store and it's really nice. Beautiful screen, keyboard is decent but it doesn't really do anything more then my current machine. I'm not seeing much of an advantage to spending 2 to 3k on this
Traditionally I preferred to upgrade quite regularly for the 'new and shiny' feeling (contrary to what I tend to do with a lot of other things) but having now had my 2015 over 4 years and having saved at least £2,700 by not upgrading at the 2-3 year mark I've come to appreciate the joys of keeping a great machine longer. Yes this time around there were specific circumstances which stayed my hand but when I do upgrade I'm going to be keeping the machine for at least 4 years again, whether there's a big update in 2021 or not.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Traditionally I preferred to upgrade quite regularly for the 'new and shiny' feeling
I have two laptops, my MBP from 2012, and my Thinkpad. The Thinkpad has replaced the 2012 MBP as my day to day machine - I'm hoping to get many years out of it. As for the MBP, its now a family computer that my kids use for their homework and what not. I'm not sure what I'll do if (when) it dies, but it doesn't owe me anything as its going on 8 years

Reactions: Mendota and Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.