Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
Most of the people I’ve heard using vision pro is for screen mirroring and focusing.
Won’t this product be a direct replacement that’s even lighter so you can wear all day?

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Not even close. The only thing it provides is “screens”. To use it, you have to take your computer with you. It’s not the same kind of device. Really don’t understand why people keep comparing a computer to a monitor.

And I do wear my VP a good part of the day at times. It’s not uncomfortable once you get the right light shield and put it on your head correctly.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Most of the people I’ve heard using vision pro is for screen mirroring and focusing.
Won’t this product be a direct replacement that’s even lighter so you can wear all day?

Sounds like a lot more focused and actually useful product quite honestly

I'd be interested

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I’ve kept an eye on it, but this is not a competitor to the AVP. It covers a specific subset of functionality.

This also appears to be a “white label” offering from one of the major OEM’s to gauge interest in the market.

It’s interesting, and I’ll keep it mind for my windows work laptop, but I don’t see this as an answer to the AVP. It seems like a better implementation of the “screens” glasses that exist today, and this product is not even real yet from what I can tell.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Laugh all you want. It’s either $400 with a $40/mo “membership fee” if you go 24 months or $60/mo if you go for 12 months. Otherwise, it’s $1,000? And yeah, it looks like you can use “stems” for quick sessions, but they recommend a strap for longer sessions. You’re charged up front today for something that’s supposed to ship sometime in ‘24. All this, for monitors you wear on your face…..that you have to have a computer to use and carry with you. Nah…..

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Laugh all you want. It’s either $400 with a $40/mo “membership fee” if you go 24 months or $60/mo if you go for 12 months. Otherwise, it’s $1,000? And yeah, it looks like you can use “stems” for quick sessions, but they recommend a strap for longer sessions. You’re charged up front today for something that’s supposed to ship sometime in ‘24. All this, for monitors you wear on your face…..that you have to have a computer to use and carry with you. Nah…..
Wait, you need a subscription to use this thing?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The subscription is optional.
Yea I didn’t get to look until I got off the road. It’s not a subscription, it’s basically a payment plan to subsidize the cost upfront.

Note that this seems to be a market test by Qualcomm, and even here it ends up costing so much to produce that they’re selling it for $1000. These screens are *expensive*.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia

It's also a full inside-out tracked VR device, with SteamVR support if you use it wih Windows / Linux. It's a better virtual monitor device than an AVP, AND it does immersive large screen virtual video, AND lets you do wireless or wired so you can drive it with a better-than-ipad GPU.

A comparison: https://medium.com/immersedteam/apple-vision-pro-vs-immersed-visor-f99d870107c6

I'll give them credit for this delightful phrase: "The Vision Pro is the weight of a small personal watermelon (650g)."

As a tradeoff of less finesse for forever alone video watching, to get more virtual displays, higher pixel density, plus being able to put a better-than-ipad GPU behind what it can do... better paradigm.

ThingThree

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2022
It seems unlikely that a few months after AVP release another company is able to profoundly leapfrog Apple, especially given their years of work on this? Will be interesting to compare actual product, not marketing specs.

On another note, unlike Facebook, Microsoft or Magic Leap, Apple is increasingly a media creation powerhouse. This matters.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
It's also a full inside-out tracked VR device, with SteamVR support if you use it wih Windows / Linux. It's a better virtual monitor device than an AVP, AND it does immersive large screen virtual video, AND lets you do wireless or wired so you can drive it with a better-than-ipad GPU.

A comparison: https://medium.com/immersedteam/apple-vision-pro-vs-immersed-visor-f99d870107c6

I'll give them credit for this delightful phrase: "The Vision Pro is the weight of a small personal watermelon (650g)."

As a tradeoff of less finesse for forever alone video watching, to get more virtual displays, higher pixel density, plus being able to put a better-than-ipad GPU behind what it can do... better paradigm.

That comparison is a bit odd. One, the device isn't available yet. Two, not seeing a lot of tech on that site. And again, you HAVE to use it with something else. Want to compare it to something? A monitor is good. Or the other glasses out there that do the same thing. They don't compare to the AVP.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
It seems unlikely that a few months after AVP release another company is able to profoundly leapfrog Apple, especially given their years of work on this? Will be interesting to compare actual product, not marketing specs.

Apple's years of working on it likely include years of working after the hardware specs were frozen. What was cutting edge in development, is early commodification by the time they released. Look at Varjo to see where the real cutting edge of no-compromises capability is.

On another note, unlike Facebook, Microsoft or Magic Leap, Apple is increasingly a media creation powerhouse. This matters.

Ironically, they have to use HTC Vive / Mars and SteamVR to produce all this content. I'm yet to see content on AppleTV+ that I would pay for, still have over a month on the free trial, and *meh*... The much vaunted Foundation, exactly what you would expect when the man who wrote Batman Vs. Superman tries to make Dune fanfic (with a liberal helping of plagiarism from Kim Stanley Robinson), with the IP of a much smarter author than himself.

Also, Magic Leap is a VC ponzi scam - they were never going to have a successful product.

Reactions: jlnr

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
That comparison is a bit odd. One, the device isn't available yet.

It's as available, and real as the AVP was between preview and delivery.

Two, not seeing a lot of tech on that site.

Go look at the site for the company that makes it - they started as a software FOR headsets, and now they're making their own headset.

And again, you HAVE to use it with something else.

No, you don't. It's capable of being a standalone device, and they're going to allow sideloading of apps onto it. It's actually quite like the Vive XR Elite is paradigm. Frankly, I expect before the next revision of AVP becomes available, that you'll be able to wire this headset into a computer no larger than the AVP's battery pack.

Want to compare it to something? A monitor is good. Or the other glasses out there that do the same thing. They don't compare to the AVP.

In what way? It doesn't have eye tracking - fair enough. Name an AVP use-case this doesn't cover. I'm curious.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
I’ve kept an eye on it, but this is not a competitor to the AVP. It covers a specific subset of functionality.

This also appears to be a “white label” offering from one of the major OEM’s to gauge interest in the market.

It’s interesting, and I’ll keep it mind for my windows work laptop, but I don’t see this as an answer to the AVP. It seems like a better implementation of the “screens” glasses that exist today, and this product is not even real yet from what I can tell.
Yeah, but i think it covers the most important aspect of AVP: screen mirroring and media consumption and it has dual 4k micro oled. Apart from the spatial persona and iPad apps, it’s not missing much. And it’s lighter and less expensive

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
It's as available, and real as the AVP was between preview and delivery.

Go look at the site for the company that makes it - they started as a software FOR headsets, and now they're making their own headset.

No, you don't. It's capable of being a standalone device, and they're going to allow sideloading of apps onto it. It's actually quite like the Vive XR Elite is paradigm. Frankly, I expect before the next revision of AVP becomes available, that you'll be able to wire this headset into a computer no larger than the AVP's battery pack.

In what way? It doesn't have eye tracking - fair enough. Name an AVP use-case this doesn't cover. I'm curious.

Was referring to the site that posted the review. I did go to the site that makes it and looked around. What use case the AVP has that this doesn't cover? LOL - you can't be serious. They don't compare, period.

Here's a site dedicated to comparing headsets. This is what they have posted on the Vision:

Here's the thing - to get features, you have to maintain "membership". Look at the FAQs - if you don't pay the membership fee, you don't get any new features. Hey - what happens with the VP? Apple is known to support and add features, free, for years.

You said it can run apps. They say there won't be an app store, but there will be an SDK for individual side loaded applications at an undisclosed later date. They say it has a chipset that can allow it to stand alone. Runs "Immersed" that can connect to your laptop/PC or be a stand alone browser. A browser - is one app. And to be honest, I'm not really sure what Immersed can really do. It seems to be what the rest of the sites says - it's 5 monitors displaying form a compute device. It's not close to what the VP can do by itself by a long shot yet. In fact, seems to have the ability to run on the VP.

You can't share it with anyone else. It's specific to you. They say "like your work laptop" which is pretty funny. Work laptops can be shared.

Based on what I'm seeing here, the marketing is confusing. The business plan is flawed. They have some work to do. It will be interesting to see if it truly gets released and how it does.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Here's a site dedicated to comparing headsets. This is what they have posted on the Vision:

Seems to be a tad out of date - I read the screen resolutions last night.

Here's the thing - to get features, you have to maintain "membership". Look at the FAQs - if you don't pay the membership fee, you don't get any new features. Hey - what happens with the VP? Apple is known to support and add features, free, for years.

Which has a lifetime once-off offer if you buy the founder's model... and you kinda need a paid subscription to iCloud for a lot of the AVP feaures, becaue you can't direct-load things like Photos etc... so...?

You said it can run apps. They say there won't be an app store, but there will be an SDK for individual side loaded applications at an undisclosed later date.

Yes, so it will be able to run apps.

They say it has a chipset that can allow it to stand alone. Runs "Immersed" that can connect to your laptop/PC or be a stand alone browser. A browser - is one app. And to be honest, I'm not really sure what Immersed can really do.

Immersed: https://immersed.com

It seems to be what the rest of the sites says - it's 5 monitors displaying form a compute device. It's not close to what the VP can do by itself by a long shot yet. In fact, seems to have the ability to run on the VP.

5 monitors from A computing device, or 5 monitors from a variety of computing devices at once.

Also, it's collaborative work spaces, groupware whiteboarding etc.

The AVP is a lightweight duty paradigm, shipping in heavyweight goggles.

This system seems to be a lightweight duty paradigm, shipping in lightweight goggles.

The fundamental problem with the AVP, in my opinion, is that it can't go high end enough in its utility (because it's only iPad hardware), to justify the weight and bulk which matches that of heavyweight duty wired or wireless tethered headsets.

You can't share it with anyone else. It's specific to you.

In the same way the AVP is effectively bound to a single user.

They say "like your work laptop" which is pretty funny. Work laptops can be shared.

Based on what I'm seeing here, the marketing is confusing. The business plan is flawed. They have some work to do. It will be interesting to see if it truly gets released and how it does.

Do you think Apple is selling enough AVPs to have covered the R&D and manfacturing costs for it? Or, is the rest of the company subsidising it, so does the AVP have a viable business plan on its own? Visor is hardware from a company that is presumably already successfully selling a software platform that they were offering on other companies' hardware.

The really interesting thing, is these are a better pairing with a Mac, than an AVP is. I imagine just like the iPad today is more like the Surface that existed when the iPad launched, than it's like the original iPad, AVP will end up being more like this than it's like itself today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.