Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
How does your wife feel about you putting on your VP, vs getting out your iPad or MacBook? I take it she prefers any of those to you leaving the room?
I think he alluded to it earlier, it’s this or snoring 😂

Cooking shows do the same thing for me, dreadfully uninteresting.

Reactions: G5isAlive

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
So why did they mention it at all as a perk for the Visor foundation if those features are ubiquitous to all the Visors?

Maybe you are a lawyer, maybe you aren't, I just don't make the assumptions you do, but you can go ahead and insult my reading comprehension skills. I read it all, you select parts that you like.

I mean maybe it's not just your reading skills I should worry about...

It's plainly listed in the spec your product section:

• The Visor 4K is available with 1 faceshield, Visor Plus Membership of 12, or 24 months and a prepaid Visor Plus Membership option.
  • The Founders Edition comes with 2 faceshields, Visor Plus Membership of 12, or 24 months and a prepaid Visor Plus Membership option.
And if you scroll down a few lines, there's a big description of the Visor Plus Membership subscription.

1712687190041.png

Look at that, it's Immersed Pro, without the screen etc features explicitly mentioned as being included for ever with the hardware in the Visor FAQ.

1712688073768.png

1712688106996.png

All of your consternation comes back to your mistaken assumption that the Immersed subscription product was required for the Visor.

The Founder's Edition gets Immersed Pro for life which is effectively an (over time) evolving superset of Visor Plus

You're welcome.

Last edited:

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Look at that, it's Immersed Pro, without the screen etc features explicitly mentioned as being included for ever with the hardware in the Visor FAQ.

1712687938503.png

feel better? I asked you to explain why they mentioned LifeTime subscription to Immersed Pro as a perk if it was standard? And you still can't.

When presented with conflicting statements I tend to ask for more information, not chose the one I prefer.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Well because I don’t own a hardware company so I can’t develop whatever I want. I saw this and think it might fit my need and many others. Knowing it won’t for you is exactly what I wanted to know. But I want to go into the root of why. You can say iPhone is a must for your life, and Android phones will not be a replacement. Yes, but they are both smartphone that does a lot of things. I am trying to dig into the deeper reasoning of it. In that process, I will argue why Android can be a replacement, but I am not forcing you to think the same

The discussions are exactly me trying to figure it out. I never said this will replace AVP for everyone
You need to do a focus groups and interviews to figure out. You are better off using Amazon Turk, than these forums, with a heavily biased population for the study. Publish the results if you do find an answer on root of why.

Last edited:

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I mean maybe it's not just your reading skills I should worry about...

It's plainly listed in the spec your product section:

• The Visor 4K is available with 1 faceshield, Visor Plus Membership of 12, or 24 months and a prepaid Visor Plus Membership option.
  • The Founders Edition comes with 2 faceshields, Visor Plus Membership of 12, or 24 months and a prepaid Visor Plus Membership option.
And if you scroll down a few lines, there's a big description of the Visor Plus Membership subscription.

View attachment 2367053

All of your consternation comes back to your mistaken assumption that the Immersed subscription product was required for the Visor.

You're welcome.
Is this product shipping? Terms on webpage can be easily changed, and so much conflicting information from different places in the Site doesnt give confidence nor reflects the proffesionalism expected from a company selling expensive products.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
View attachment 2367059
feel better? I asked you to explain why they mentioned LifeTime subscription to Immersed Pro as a perk if it was standard? And you still can't.

When presented with conflicting statements I tend to ask for more information, not chose the one I prefer.

Because As I said - Immersed Pro is a different thing to Visor Plus. And, as Ryan stated in the email I posted earlier*, Immersed Pro is going to continue to grow and diverge as a superset of Visor Plus.

You've asked for nothing, and made wildly incorrect statements of "fact" - that devices required two subscriptions, that devices would lose screens when subscriptions expired.

Cowboy up, and admit you were wrong.

*And seriously, all consternation about their products being confusing. and how hard it was to get information from Discord where no one knew the answers... it took a 5 line email to the company to get a clear reply from an executive inside of 15 minutes.

Last edited:

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
How does your wife feel about you putting on your VP, vs getting out your iPad or MacBook? I take it she prefers any of those to you leaving the room?

I actually think she prefers it LOL. I know some of you would agree with her :)

Yes for some reason it's important to her that I am in the room. Go figure. Admittedly my home office sometimes feels lonely. And when I am on the laptop or even the iPad, I am not as immersed and she will sense that I am scowling at the cooking shows. So she hands me the remote and pouts. If I snore, she pokes me. Can't win.

And honestly again, after 44 years she is just used to me looking silly. You really think the AVP is the most embarrassing thing she has seen me wear? (flashback to Tony stark in ironman 1 when Potts finds him changing out of his ironman suit). So my wearing it doesn't bother her at all. Neither of us get caught up on that. I was never James Dean or a wanna be. I still talk to her with it on. Answer her questions. Comment on the show if I can be positive. Still reach out occasionally to assure here I am still there. I just dont get too freaky. wink. Which again, goes with she might prefer I wear it. Certainly doesn't interfere with what she is doing as much.

Shrugs. Or maybe she is just reasonable enough to think it's enough to more or less expect I be there, without actually telling me exactly how to be there and what to do. She isnt as controlling or as vain as some :)

Anyway, it works for us. The AVP works for me. Your mileage may vary. And thats at least two minutes of your life you wont get back and maybe a vision or two you wish you didnt get.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
This sounds super shady, reminds me of those vendors on Ali Baba.You pre-pay membership for 1349 and device. What happens if I buy the device for 699, and don't want to pay for membership after 2-3 months? If this is financing, they should be upfront. If it is a prepaid membership, then it is a subscription. Why is membership more expensive than the device?

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 2.52.04 PM.png

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Because As I said - Immersed Pro is a different thing to Visor Plus. And, as Ryan stated in the email I posted earlier, Immersed Pro is going to continue to grow and diverge as a superset of Visor Plus.

You've asked for nothing, and made wildly incorrect statements of "fact" - that devices required two subscriptions, that devices would lose screens when subscriptions expired.

Cowboy up, and admit you were wrong.

I will cowboy up and admit you wont sincerely answer my question :)

And I never said you were wrong, just said the statements conflict and I dont like conflicting statements. You can call that asking for nothing, but you would by lying. I dont make the same assumptions you do, and I have repeated that enough to apologize to the rest of the thread.

I noticed you never answered my question, have you pre-ordered one yet? I put my money where my mouth is. Giddy up little pony :)

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
This sounds super shady, reminds me of those vendors on Ali Baba.You pre-pay membership for 1349 and device. What happens if I buy the device for 699, and don't want to pay for membership after 2-3 months? If this is financing, they should be upfront. If it is a prepaid membership, then it is a subscription. Why is membership more expensive than the device?

View attachment 2367065

omg. you just called the web site police on you! good luck. its in the FAQ. but yes, it all seems shady but I really think its more incompetence than intent.

Reactions: TechnoMonk

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
omg. you just called the web site police on you! good luck. its in the FAQ. but yes, it all seems shady but I really think its more incompetence than intent.
FAQ raises more questions than answers, and a 20% restocking fee for returns? Hard pass. I am looking for devices that can extend the experience of spatial computing and screens when I travel with MBP. I may get an AVP 2.0, but I can easily buy a decent nonapple device at a much cheaper price. And if any one related to Visor marketing in the thread, this is not a good way to get visibility on the tech forums. lol.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I actually think she prefers it LOL. I know some of you would agree with her :)

Yes for some reason it's important to her that I am in the room. Go figure. Admittedly my home office sometimes feels lonely. And when I am on the laptop or even the iPad, I am not as immersed and she will sense that I am scowling at the cooking shows. So she hands me the remote and pouts. If I snore, she pokes me. Can't win.

And honestly again, after 44 years she is just used to me looking silly. You really think the AVP is the most embarrassing thing she has seen me wear? (flashback to Tony stark in ironman 1 when Potts finds him changing out of his ironman suit). So my wearing it doesn't bother her at all. Neither of us get caught up on that. I was never James Dean or a wanna be. I still talk to her with it on. Answer her questions. Comment on the show if I can be positive. Still reach out occasionally to assure here I am still there. I just dont get too freaky. wink. Which again, goes with she might prefer I wear it. Certainly doesn't interfere with what she is doing as much.

Shrugs. Or maybe she is just reasonable enough to think it's enough to more or less expect I be there, without actually telling me exactly how to be there and what to do. She isnt as controlling or as vain as some :)

Anyway, it works for us. The AVP works for me. Your mileage may vary. And thats at least two minutes of your life you wont get back and maybe a vision or two you wish you didnt get.
Thanks for these details.

I just wondered how it feels to be the person next to someone using a VP. Me and my partner often sit in the same room, each doing our own thing on our respective devices. But the thing is, I can just glance at his screen to get a sense of what he's doing, and he can do the same to me. If one or both of us were wearing the VP, we wouldn't have the same sense of what the other was doing. I wonder if that could lead to less sense of sharing the same space. But maybe it isn't really all that isolating, since as you say, you can still see her cooking show.

oh, and which show? It's not Top Chef, by any chance?

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I will cowboy up and admit you wont sincerely answer my question :)

And I never said you were wrong, just said the statements conflict and I dont like confections. You can call that asking for nothing, but you would by lying. I dont make the same assumptions you do, and I have repeated that enough to apologize to the rest of the thread.

I noticed you never answered my question, have you pre-ordered one yet? I put my money where my mouth is. Giddy up little pony :)

I don't know how much plainer I can state this amazingly simple premise - Immersed Pro is a different subscription product from Visor Plus. Right at this moment, the permanent features of Visor, combined with the features of Visor Plus are effectively the same when combined, as Immersed Pro.

That will change as Immersed Pro changes.

Also Immersed Pro covers multiple headsets.

I haven't ordered a Visor, because my interest is in full immersion 3D VR, not virtual screens or flats in space, and macOS has no full immersion 3D VR options now that SteamVR is long discontinued.

But I maintain I think this - a headset that is just optics and sensors connected to a computer is a better paradigm than a self-contained headset.

The only conflict, is your failure to comprehend that Immersed Pro is product the Visor doesn't require in any way in order to function, and therefore including a lifetime subscription to it as a perk for a Founders Edition makes sense, because it represents extra functionality / services.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
And if any one related to Visor marketing in the thread, this is not a good way to get visibility on the tech forums. lol.

Well they do say any advertising is good advertising... and this thread has gone on longer than most might have wanted (sorry). I do think you and others might be on to something though, there is a great chance some have a commercial interest here. In which case, please cowboy up and come up with a cleaner price model. This subscription stuff is stupid.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia

View attachment 2367065

... It's exactly the same as buying a carrier subsidised fixed-contract cellphone. The membership includes a bunch of services that are not related to the functioning of the headset itself, but are things you can do while using it.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
But I maintain I think this - a headset that is just optics and sensors connected to a computer is a better paradigm than a self-contained headset.
I'm going to ignore all the stuff about the confusing naming and pricing conventions (it is confusing).

I think you're right that this is a better paradigm for replacing monitors.

I think the AVP has the capacity to replace a computer for some people, and for others it may be the only computer they can functionally use:

Note that these are two different paradigms. Like G5 said earlier, I pick the tool for what I'm trying to do.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I don't know how much plainer I can state this amazingly simple premise - Immersed Pro is a different subscription product from Visor Plus. Right at this moment, the permanent features of Visor, combined with the features of Visor Plus are effectively the same when combined, as Immersed Pro.

That will change as Immersed Pro changes.

Also Immersed Pro covers multiple headsets.

I haven't ordered a Visor, because my interest is in full immersion 3D VR, not virtual screens or flats in space, and macOS has no full immersion 3D VR options now that SteamVR is long discontinued.

The only conflict, is your failure to comprehend that Immersed Pro is product the Visor doesn't require in any way in order to function, and therefore including a lifetime subscription to it as a perk for a Founders Edition makes sense, because it represents extra functionality / services. failure of marketing of Visor.
There is nothing plain about the website. It's super sketchy, incompetent, and conflicting. It should be easy to understand, makes me wonder if the product is as hard to use as their website and pricing. I would totally buy a device in 1000-1500 bucks, which is good and has clear competent pricing and terms.
... It's exactly the same as buying a carrier subsidised cellphone. The membership includes a bunch of services that are not related to the functioning of the headset itself, but are things you can do while using it.
Not at All, people buy cell service and a device(Apple or Android/Windows or whatever) to use the said service. Are you saying membership provides special services like cell phone providers? Take for example cellular, iPad/AW, the service providers sell those devices along with their plans on contract. Cell providers don't offer me discounted non-Cellular versions of the products. If it is a subsidized payment plan, call it such, or say it is financing. What does Visor do if I stop paying after 2 months. will they brick my device? lock it?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Not to beat a dead horse here, but can we just agree to move on from the pricing structure and subscriptions? I'd say if 3 members here find it confusing, it's probably confusing, but it lends nothing to discussion of the device and I'd hate to see this thread shut down over bickering.

If this device were $500 I'd definitely take a gamble on it with it's limited functionality. For me it would be a nice monitor replacement. No way I'd overhaul my entire desk setup for $1000 though as I don't actually "need" this product in my life.

Reactions: Night Spring

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Well they do say any advertising is good advertising... and this thread has gone on longer than most might have wanted (sorry). I do think you and others might be on to something though, there is a great chance some have a commercial interest here. In which case, please cowboy up and come up with a cleaner price model. This subscription stuff is stupid.
I am a potential customer for a device like a visor, and unlike many, I think AVP and spatial computing is here to stay. I could use it stand-alone or tethered to my Mac when working on the road. Just doesn't give me confidence with their website or pricing model. Very Amateurish, testing the market with white label stuff ?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I am a potential customer for a device like a visor, and unlike many, I think AVP and spatial computing is here to stay. I could use it stand-alone or tethered to my Mac when working on the road. Just doesn't give me confidence with their website or pricing model. Very Amateurish, testing the market with white label stuff ?
That's pretty much my take. I'll wait for this niche market to mature a bit, or materialize in the first place with specs that meet my needs.

Reactions: TechnoMonk

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Not to beat a dead horse here, but can we just agree to move on from the pricing structure and subscriptions? I'd say if 3 members here find it confusing, it's probably confusing, but it lends nothing to discussion of the device and I'd hate to see this thread shut down over bickering.

If this device were $500 I'd definitely take a gamble on it with it's limited functionality. For me it would be a nice monitor replacement. No way I'd overhaul my entire desk setup for $1000 though as I don't actually "need" this product in my life.
I wouldn't mind spending 1000-1500 bucks, if the device can be stand-alone and a screen on the move during my travel. As a pure monitor, I agree that 1000 is a bit rich for my taste.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I wouldn't mind spending 1000-1500 bucks, if the device can be stand-alone and a screen on the move during my travel. As a pure monitor, I agree that 1000 is a bit rich for my taste.
I wouldn't even consider this for travel, as it has to be used with a computer (I think?).

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Deviating from the topic, but what about this question:
What if you get something in this form factor, and Vision OS. I.e. it can mirror your mac, and run iPad apps, both achievable in Visor’s form factor.
But you lose some other cool things this hardware form cannot achieve.

Would you prefer it over AVP?

For me it’s the better form factor covering the few use cases that interests me. And personally I hope Apple had one device that does this in the current situation where 3D Apps and content are very limited

Well, first, my Mac is a 2017 and stuck on OS13. Can't get OS14. So no mirroring for me.

You ask a hard question. I'm pretty happy with this form factor as I don't find it too heavy. I did, but after using it for a few days, it became more "normal". Each day is different. Some better than others. Meaning I make more adjustments at times.

I wonder how different form factors will work. I tend not to immerse myself in environments. Use them very sparingly if at all. I'd like to have a way to see applications all around me like I do with the VP. Even if they are in another room, I can see the white solid indicator and can sometimes pull them in to my current space. But, some apps do require most of the light to be limited which a full wrap around solution give you.

The glasses form factor in its current offerings is highly customized to the individual user. Has to be or it won't seal the light. The VP is customized, but others can still put it on and it will "work" for them temporarily. AND you can, if so desired, get from Apple what they would need from strap, light shield, etc as the hardware is the exact same.

The tethered battery of the VP is somewhat of a pain at times. I have to be cognizant of where it is or it crashes to the floor. But i don't want the battery attached behind my head in such a way it presses against my skull when leaning back in a chair. So maybe a good battery in the strap or "glasses" arms like this product has, leading to the ears could be nicer. Or, just the whole frame is the battery?

Thinking as I type - I would need sunglasses for outside, and some semblance of regular glasses for inside. People joke about the eyes on the screen on front of the VP, but when I look at myself in the mirror, it doesn't look bad to me. This is what I mean for regular glasses inside. Not sure we will get to the point, unless we are talking a contact lens type solution of not having something on our head. That would, of course, be utopia.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Thanks for these details.

I just wondered how it feels to be the person next to someone using a VP. Me and my partner often sit in the same room, each doing our own thing on our respective devices. But the thing is, I can just glance at his screen to get a sense of what he's doing, and he can do the same to me. If one or both of us were wearing the VP, we wouldn't have the same sense of what the other was doing. I wonder if that could lead to less sense of sharing the same space. But maybe it isn't really all that isolating, since as you say, you can still see her cooking show.

oh, and which show? It's not Top Chef, by any chance?

Well, I do think there is a certain point in a relationship it's enough to still be breathing. Might sound sad, but for us it's a peaceful feeling. And when she really wants to talk, she puts her show on pause and I don't even ask, just take off the AVP and look over. In a sense, the AVP makes it easier to focus on her, and disengage with it than an iPad or laptop, with those, even if I look away from those screens, they're tempting me to glance back. Or maybe I linger before I stop looking because it's just so easy to. Just one moment dear. One more moment. really, just one more last thing. With the AVP, it's either all the way on, or all the way off. It's a strong statement and commitment. She knows she has 100% of my attention when it's off. And when we are done, I put it back on, it's exactly in the work where I left off and she can go back to what she was doing without feeling guilty either. I have spoken to her about the overall experience, and she doesn't find it has brought isolation to us at all. But then she is very accepting of my toys. And I of hers. No double meanings in there.

Oh, and if she wants to know what I am doing. She asks. And if I am doing something I think she might find interesting. I tell. But we come from an age where we learned to communicate without screens at all. I don't mean that in a condescending way. It's just we dont look at each other's screens even when we can.

Thinking about it some more, it's also a matter of comfort level with the individual. when my sons come to visit I would not wear it at all, because I knew they would tease me. Which, they kept asking me to put it on so they could. But then curiosity got the best of them, and they tried it, and I didnt laugh at them. They loved it. But the most interesting thing to me is, they really went in to it with no preconceived notions, took maybe 2 minutes to learn how to use it, and then USED it. They didnt explore what it could or couldn't do. weren't that interested in the canned demos. They just did their own thing. we had it mirrored to the tv and we followed along. One son apparently likes zooming in on obscure places in Africa and checking out the restaurant scene. really. No idea why, but we were all laughing and having fun comparing prices. And they never once complained about it being uncomfortable, seemingly have inherited my thick skin, or maybe their mother's tolerance to pain. So yes, sometimes when the four of them (wife and daughter in law included) play Mario Cart I slip on the AVP. It's not a five player game.

Sorry, I digressed.

But you asked what cooking show. Um. As far as I can tell, all of them. She watches the food network. I do find Gordon Ramsey interesting enough to watch (some of), but yes, Top chef, Iron Chef, Micky Mouse Chef, oh, the hamburger guy is a family favorite, the diner drive in guy? I used to like that guy (alton?) that related it to chemistry, because I am a scientist, but he is off the air now. I think there was a scandal? but she also likes to go on YouTube and watch specific clips on specific techniques or recipes. We use Apple TV.

Now anticipating the next question, she doesn't want an AVP. I asked. Not terribly surprised, she still uses a 6 year old iPad for crying out loud. She wont let me buy her a new one because it does what she wants she says. Apparently she didn't get the memo about bezels. Her computer set up, again, by choice is one screen. She just hasn't been seduced by the multiple screen siren yet. And honestly, our big screen is big enough to watch movies on together and I dont think side by side AVP viewing would be much better. So no AVP for her! :)

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
There is nothing plain about the website. It's super sketchy, incompetent, and conflicting. It should be easy to understand, makes me wonder if the product is as hard to use as their website and pricing. I would totally buy a device in 1000-1500 bucks, which is good and has clear competent pricing and terms.

It is easy to understand. That you don't understand it reflects on you, not the website.

Not at All, people buy cell service and a device(Apple or Android/Windows or whatever) to use the said service. Are you saying membership provides special services like cell phone providers?
Look at the device pricing, scroll down past the embedded Youtube video.

1712687190041-png.2367053

These are the membership services which subsidise the price of the headset. You are required to subscribe to these services for a minimum of 12 months, as a condition of purchase, just like buying a carrier-subsidised cellphone from a cellphone network.

What does Visor do if I stop paying after 2 months. will they brick my device? lock it?

Probably send you to debt collection, because the contract term is clearly stated as 12, or 24 months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.