Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Was talking to my son the other day via email @ work; he'd caught the latest bug. Below was the content of his email:

"Is it just me or do you feel like absolute cheeks cause I have a runny nose a headache and am stuffy as can be and probably should go home but mom won’t answer."

🤨

Evidently "cheeks" is Gen Z slang for "crap." I have to admit I about died laughing reading it. Not sure how much I'll incorporate it into my daily vocabulary, but it's definitely funny.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Hmm. The secondary definition of cheek:

impertinent talk or behavior: he had the cheek to complain | that's enough of your cheek!.

Who knew? But, as used above, that is new, at least to an oldster like me.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Hmm. The secondary definition of cheek:

impertinent talk or behavior: he had the cheek to complain | that's enough of your cheek!.

Who knew? But, as used above, that is new, at least to an oldster like me.

The best part of my son's definition was when I posted it online on FB, as sort of a humorous post.

I figured some might find it hilarious and start to use it. I did not expect the ladies at our church to be part of that group. 😆

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
prepone (the opposite of postpone). Common in India.

masło maślany (buttery butter). Polish language, said when someone is using too many words or is being redundant.

doublethink. From Newspeak in the novel Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
"Hold my beer" and "Watch this" because it's almost always a prelude to Darwin award worthy entertainment.😁

The best tall tales in Texas starts with the phrase, "Y'all ain't gonna believe this..."🤠 And the best thing about a good Texan tall tale is that it gets taller with each retelling.😁

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
You will always end up working for somebody who knows and understands more than you do.

Ray Dalio would say the same thing in his own unique way: What you don't know is more valuable and will have a much more profound effect on your life than the things that you do know.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
While diarrhea certainly describes something unpleasant, you gotta admit the term has a certain elegance to it.
I'm not sure what that's in reference to, but I kind of like the phrase diarrhea of the mouth.
That perfectly captures the disease of talking too much, always having something to say, whether useful or not.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
And you want to take it away from people?
"No." --William Shakespeare, Hamlet Act V, scene ii, line 302.

Although it would be nice if the had a TL;DR version for those of us who live by the mantra, "Brevity is the soul of wit."

My daughter asked me to read her analytical essay on Odepius Rex. I laughed my ass off. Good gawd, put that thesaurus down.😂 I advised her to use simpler words where possible, use more precise words where necessary, and trim the fat.

But that was how the teacher taught her to write. Long winded and nothing but ten dollar words.😓 It's called academic writing. A fancy way if saying bad writing, imo.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
Indubitably.. Unbeknownst.. Bully (eg.. Bully for You).. Gestalt…Effervescent..

”Unbeknownst to me, I stumbled across a thread that was indubitably the most interesting I’ve found in a while. Bully for you in reading it! The gestalt of the threads resulted in a certain effervescence; a bright new topic to delight mac lovers and word nerds alike.”

Forgive me for the ramble.. Feel free to correct my paragraph. :) Couldn’t help myself.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia

Although it would be nice if the had a TL;DR version for those of us who live by the mantra, "Brevity is the soul of wit."
I think "brevity" faces the same challenges as the "obvious". What is obvious to some is not very obvious to others. Target audience is the key I am guessing.

What complicates things is that we have long "accepted" that certain esoteric things became a part of our perceived everyday "reality": "morning rituals", "budget deficit is merely an illusion" etc.

Reactions: dotzero123

Daimos1

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2022
IMG_4070.jpeg

Kung

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006

My daughter asked me to read her analytical essay on Odepius Rex. I laughed my ass off. Good gawd, put that thesaurus down.😂 I advised her to use simpler words where possible, use more precise words where necessary, and trim the fat.

But that was how the teacher taught her to write. Long winded and nothing but ten dollar words.😓 It's called academic writing. A fancy way if saying bad writing, imo.

"Brevity is the..."

-Me

• Haha

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Ever since I saw the word plethora in a college newspaper, I've enjoyed using it now and then, both because it has an oddly fun sound and because it's nice to have a little variety by using a less common word.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.