Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I enjoy blending phrases together, e.g. "bite the bullet by the horns".
Our former governor loved to do this.

A mixed metaphor occurs when an author combines two incompatible metaphors, forming an absurd or irrational comparison. In a mixed metaphor, there is no connection between what the author compares. Mixed metaphors sometimes make use of clichés and malapropisms and typically produce a humorous or ridiculous effect.

So hang in there. When the going gets tough, the early bird gets the worm. ;)

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Our former governor loved to do this.

A mixed metaphor occurs when an author combines two incompatible metaphors, forming an absurd or irrational comparison. In a mixed metaphor, there is no connection between what the author compares. Mixed metaphors sometimes make use of clichés and malapropisms and typically produce a humorous or ridiculous effect.

So hang in there. When the going gets tough, the early bird gets the worm. ;)
I love mixed metaphors. Used strategically, it throws the other guy off his game.🤓 He can't be certain if you're some mad genius or just mad without the genius part.😏

That snake in the grass is barking up the wrong tree.😁

Reactions: Nermal

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I don't want to take this enjoyment away from you but isn't it just a random words thrown together without any meaning?
It's a combination of "bite the bullet" and "take the bull by the horns". I'll defer to the Oxford definitions of both:

bite the bullet: "decide to do something difficult or unpleasant that one has been putting off or hesitating over"
take the bull by the horns: "deal decisively with a difficult or dangerous situation"

They're not quite the same thing, but they're mostly compatible and I like how it rolls off the tongue when you combine them.

Reactions: avz

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
It's a combination of "bite the bullet" and "take the bull by the horns". I'll defer to the Oxford definitions of both:

bite the bullet: "decide to do something difficult or unpleasant that one has been putting off or hesitating over"
take the bull by the horns: "deal decisively with a difficult or dangerous situation"

They're not quite the same thing, but they're mostly compatible and I like how it rolls off the tongue when you combine them.
I felt instinctively that they are not quite the same. It is like saying: "bite the bullet like you own it".

Kung

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
We were on vacation last week, and my wife was trying to say either that something "bit the bullet" or "gave up the ghost."

What she ACTUALLY said?

"Yeah, that bit the ghost."

🤣

I shall forevermore use that anytime an inanimate object dies an early death. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Chuckeee

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
One that is somewhat funny: "it tastes like chicken" (in reference convincing someone to eat alligator, sneak, or rabbit meat). But my wife would never agree to it 😀

Edit: April 5, 2024.
I decided to add something else that is "kind of" funny: when scanning through all the thread titles (or headings) in this forum down to this thread or, "Words and phrases you LIKE," the one immediately below this one was, Bacon, a thread by pimentoLoaf sometime ago.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.