Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
EF730CD6-B9AB-434D-8486-1783E69EEF90.jpeg

At the urging of my son, I reinstalled WoT and have played a couple of games with him as a division. At first, it was a little fun, when I practiced solo, my teams seemed to win frequently, but now that we are playing as a division, our win rate just sucks, maybe we suck, lol, but I think he is better than me with better instincts.

I am all too quickly reminded of why I quit this game, a little over a year ago, after playing it since 2013ish. There is a huge DejaVu aspect with stagnant battles, on the same old maps, and everyone rushing to their favorite spot to play peek around the rock/building trading shots. Plus I’m out of practise, and just not that good.

Besides that, the constant pressure from War Gaming to buy, buy, buy, more prevalent or the perception of more prevalent in WoT than WoW. There is the basic season pass which is free, but don’t miss out on the enhanced season pass which is not. And then there is the subscription needed to make reasonable progress up the tech tree which is true of both games (WoT, WoW), and the latest spiffy hot rod tank. :oops:

I’ll maintain that WoW even though it also has a selection of its same maps, is a better, more fluid game. There are minimal places to hide and it’s more fluid because you have to judge and react to the engagement range of multiple enemy ships and avoid getting too close becoming the number one target ship. :)

Keep in mind I normally play Random Battles, so it’s not as if I can relay on a known team, and reliable team tactics. There is no guarantee the group of friendlies around me are smart and competant, pushing and retreating when they should, so it is a very different game from playing in an organized team who practises and plays together. Instead it is pot luck, and you play more cautiously for self preservation.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
WOT UNINSTALLED. Pick your options:
  • I'm no longer good enough to play and/or Random teams suck. Their match maker is suspect.
  • Serious Power Creep
  • Premium Tanks better than Tech Tree Tanks
  • The most expensive, free game I've ever played. Never ending, constant pressure to purchase new more powerful tanks. Premium is basically required, to progress to the upper levels unless you are really good, which I not long seem to be. (I spent too much money. It get's to a point where $30-40 does not seem like a lot to spend, but it adds up.)
  • Old favorite tanks no longer effective as they used to be due to power creep.
Back to looking for a good tank game...that does not cost an arm and a leg. Back to relying on World of Warships until I rage quit over ****ing subs that can launch 9/homing torps at you in a single volley.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Dec 2023- Game reinstalled for the Holidays. They have 2 story missions, guided, easy, fun. Playing a bit and so far, see some changes to maps, but, no new maps to speak of. I’ve found that the less aggressive I am to a point, the better I do. I’ll see how long this lasts…

The Bisonte C45 is on sale. Always wanted that… 🤔

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
It could be because I’m getting old ;), but in 2013-14, I felt like I was decent at this game, I used to know exactly where I wanted to go at the start of battles on most maps. After map balancing several years ago there are some maps I hate and the timed peaking and shooting around the corner mechanism has gotten very old. This is a staple of game play, and I am convinced there are no real tank battles that ever involved this kind of a tactic which reflects how unrealistic it is, I think.

Now you mentioned this being the only multiplayer online PvP game you play but barely, and I would suggest trying World of Warships as an alternative, with the caveat that this is a very different game in tactics and tempo, much more strategic in nature, while as a comparison tanks are tactical, with lots of in your face, peaking and shooting. There are also some frustrating game-play aspects in WoWS, but I’m mentally better equipped to deal with those.
Try Pac Man.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
World of Tanks- 2023 Still SUCKS, I still SUCK at it...Sticking with Ships...:oops: Same old maps, terrible teams, peak around the rock, too arcady.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.