Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bruceclay85

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I don't think he did a video on unboxing it though. He is incredibly lucky though and the store staff that sold him it is probably getting fired.

Ha, lucky for you, you've never delt with an American Walmart staff. Incompetent doesn't begin to describe them. I seriously doubt anyone got let go there.

On the next note, I appreciate the video. First one I have seen in public, haters be damned.

RiseDarthVader

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Sure I'll see if I can get some up close pictures of the text rendering and compare it to the 3rd gen iPad. I'll probably also upload a first impression video later today.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Sure I'll see if I can get some up close pictures of the text rendering and compare it to the 3rd gen iPad. I'll probably also upload a first impression video later today.

Thanks, love all your new Apple gear, surprised you didnt get a iPad 4 too :)

Hey... Were many lining up for the new newer retina ipad, or just about all getting the mini?

RiseDarthVader

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Most were going for the iPad mini. Though I saw at least 1 person that went just for the 4th gen iPad.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Thanks for the unboxing. My only criticism is that you should lose the scissors and get a nice knife. All the cool unboxing videos have cool knives. :p

RiseDarthVader

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Yeah you can if you connect it to a Wi-Fi network first or have a SIM card inside to connect to a cellular network.

roccobladr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
great video! you covered pretty much everything I would want to know about it.

Just makes the decision even harder seeing how physically nice it really is compared to the regular ipad! love that slate finish

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Asian dude with an Australian accent.

Almost as funny as an Asian dude with Scottish accent in those starburst commercials.

----------

I think I'll get the white version.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
After using retina only Apple products for the last 7 months or so it's noticeably subpar. Text isn't as well rendered and from my current initial impression the colours are also duller then the iPhone 5 and iPad 3rd generation. It looks a lot like the iPhone 3GS screen I used to own.

hmmm, not too encouraging.....

nice vid!

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Asian dude with an Australian accent.

Almost as funny as an Asian dude with Scottish accent in those starburst commercials.

----------

I think I'll get the white version.

I like to make fun of anglos trying to speak south-east Asian dialects. ;)

BaBaBoooooooey

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Great first few min of video, i had to stop watching though..it was almost a spoiler of the excitement i will be feeling tomorrow morning!

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I was wondering about this too.. I use a 15" rMBP, an iPhone 5 and previously owned a retina iPad. I plan on buying one when my local store opens (about 13 more hours) just hoping I can tolerate the display.

same here...I really wanted something portable in the mean time.

----------

very thorough! Thanks for sharing. My favorite part was when you opened the plastic wrap from the actual ipad and said...very satisfying while you tore it off. lol:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.