Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Depends on the strength of the alcohol wipe. 90% IPA will strip the coating for sure. The 60-70% will be fine unless you scrub aggressively.

Reactions: DaBossIsHere

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
I Windex my iDevices from time to time... Maybe every few weeks or so. It doesn't take off the oleophobic coating, although if I did it more often, it probably would.

I'm a big fan of the coating. Makes a really big difference in both feel and resistance to fingerprints/oil smudges.

DaBossIsHere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Depends on the strength of the alcohol wipe. 90% IPA will strip the coating for sure. The 60-70% will be fine unless you scrub aggressively.

I didn’t see what % alcohol it was. It was a generic wet wipe found in every generic screen protector.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My XS Max had the nastiest stickiest coating I’ve ever seen/touched on a phone display. I actually had to install a screen protector so I could use the phone. People on the forum said the coating had not been cured properly.

Alcohol wipes didn’t seem to have hurt the coating any that I saw when I went to remove the display protector. So you should be okay, given that my phone with a botched coating was fine.

DaBossIsHere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
My XS Max had the nastiest stickiest coating I’ve ever seen/touched on a phone display. I actually had to install a screen protector so I could use the phone. People on the forum said the coating had not been cured properly.

Alcohol wipes didn’t seem to have hurt the coating any that I saw when I went to remove the display protector. So you should be okay, given that my phone with a botched coating was fine.

Thanks for your reply. This makes me feel better :)

DaBossIsHere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Should be OK as I doubt it was a high percentage of alcohol. Just watch out for drunk dialling.

:p:p:p:p
[doublepost=1561041363][/doublepost]
You say that the wipes came with the new screen protector. If you used a brand name screen protector I wouldn’t worry as any reputable company is not going to supply you with something that is going to damage your iPhone.

Don’t know if I used a reputabile brand, however they had good reviews on Amazon. I used a screen protector by Klearlook [https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H2XJKSQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7L5cDbA1B4MYF].

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
If you only did this one time you should be
OK.
Best way to clean is mineral water with a micro fiber cloth. Any other exotic way will remove the Oleophobic coating

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
True, you're right. But don't know why, I keep thinking I might have damaged my phone.

I’m not trying to be rude, but it’s already been explained you multiple times, you didn’t damage anything, if there was anything to happen at all, you probably removed part of the oleophobic coating. I think you’re being overly pedantic about something that you keep trying to have reassurance on, when you already know the answer yourself.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Condensed direct from Apple so the OP can stop asking:

“Your iPhone has a fingerprint-resistant oleophobic—oil repellent—coating. On iPhone 8 and later, the coating is on the front and back. This coating wears over time with normal use. Cleaning products and abrasive materials will further diminish the coating and might scratch your iPhone.”

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Condensed direct from Apple so the OP can stop asking:

“Your iPhone has a fingerprint-resistant oleophobic—oil repellent—coating. On iPhone 8 and later, the coating is on the front and back. This coating wears over time with normal use. Cleaning products and abrasive materials will further diminish the coating and might scratch your iPhone.”
Learned something new. Didn’t realize the oleophobic coating was on the back as well.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Don't worry about it, you've got to remember:
A) The coating wears off through general use anyway - it doesn't have any impact on the device other than perhaps a barely noticeable change in how easy finger prints are to wipe off.
B) If you're applying a screen protector, the adhesive of that will probably also damage the coating as it's only sprayed on.

I'm pretty sure it's gone off my 8 plus by this point, I haven't noticed a difference.

DaBossIsHere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Don't worry about it, you've got to remember:
A) The coating wears off through general use anyway - it doesn't have any impact on the device other than perhaps a barely noticeable change in how easy finger prints are to wipe off.
B) If you're applying a screen protector, the adhesive of that will probably also damage the coating as it's only sprayed on.

I'm pretty sure it's gone off my 8 plus by this point, I haven't noticed a difference.

You're right.. thanks for your reply :)
[doublepost=1562525433][/doublepost]
Distilled water and a microfiber cloth is all I use on the iPhone and MBP screens. No worries about chemicals, and it cleans the screen just fine.

Thanks. Will definitely use this method whenever I need to clean my screen.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
You're right.. thanks for your reply :)
[doublepost=1562525433][/doublepost]

Thanks. Will definitely use this method whenever I need to clean my screen.
If it makes you feel better, my phone went through a wash cycle in my jeans on hot water and with detergent. Phone still works perfect and water still beads off the screen of my phone and does not collect a lot of fingerprints. I think you’re fine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.