Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaBossIsHere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
One time most likely didn’t do anything
But I wouldn’t use alcohol wipes anymore

Yep, lesson learnt. No more alcohol wipes.
[doublepost=1562623703][/doublepost]
If it makes you feel better, my phone went through a wash cycle in my jeans on hot water and with detergent. Phone still works perfect and water still beads off the screen of my phone and does not collect a lot of fingerprints. I think you’re fine!

Haha, that definitely eases my mind :p

Reactions: Ta0jin

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I came here because I recently installed a glass screen protector on my iPhone 12 mini and when I took it off, I noticed the screen feels way more sticky than I remember. However, when I first put the screen protector on, I noticed that it seemed a lot more slippery than my default screen, almost like it had an oil on it. Well, I had it on for about a month and I had gotten used to the oily slickness, but I got tired of the screen protector and decided to take it off. That's when all hell broke loose. Now my screen feels like garbage and I'm wondering if it's from residue from the screen protector or if I removed the oleophobic coating, or if it's just the way my screen has always felt, but the protector got me used to the slickness and I miss it.

Can anyway shed any light on this?

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Well according to Apple you are fine, from their website it states:

‘Is it OK to use a disinfectant on my Apple product?
Using a 70-per cent isopropyl alcohol wipe, 75-per cent ethyl alcohol wipe or disinfectant wipe, you may gently wipe the hard, non-porous surfaces of your Apple product, such as the display, keyboard or other exterior surfaces. Don't use products that contain bleach or hydrogen peroxide. Avoid getting moisture in any opening, and don't submerge your Apple product in any cleaning agents. Don't use on fabric or leather surfaces.’

So if it did cause damage, then apple should theoretically replace your screen as they have advised it’s safe to use a 70% alcohol wipe.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I treat my phone with a drop of disinfection after a busy day. My display still feels silky smooth on touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.