Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
It is clearly in the release notes that power management is being employed. Reducing power to a CPU means you will underclock it. When it is underclocked you get less performance...

It is all in the actual link provided, factual and totally inline with the apology issued by Apple recently.

-- EDIT
And with the same terminology as per the original release notes also in the most recent article as per the front page of this great website...
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-passes-a-genius-bar-diagnostic-test.2098675/

Last edited:
Reactions: Newtons Apple

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1893?locale=en_GB
[doublepost=1514903212][/doublepost]
No I don’t agree with that at all. And that was my original point you kept on refusing to answer and through some spinning now turn around and point in my direction...Quite remarkable...

Class Action Lawyers aren’t about that, I’m sorry to say but the USA legal system regarding many of these kind of matters is seriously ****ed. Good if you are a lawyer, but really not helpful to get the truth out.

Yes, I see. You dont trust the legal system but you trust a company that deceives their customers :D
lol
[doublepost=1514918544][/doublepost]
Nope that term isn’t used, yet their action is clearly in there. I suggest you read it again...

Lol :D
You cant be serious.
They came out apologizing for hiding it and you just sit here insisting that they told us about it before?

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
The amount of uproar on this is astounding. It's a lose lose situation. They lose with phones randomly reboot, or the code in something that prioritizing power and reduces based on demand in equivalency to what's available plain and simple. The iPhone 6 is almost half a decade old, the battery chemistry changes just like other phones. What they did was not only acceptable, but unbeknownst appreciated. The ONLY negative thing would be transparency in that they didn't tell anyone they were implementing this.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
The amount of uproar on this is astounding. It's a lose lose situation. They lose with phones randomly rebooting, or the code in something that prioritizing power and reduces based on demand in equivalency to what's available plain and simple. The iPhone 6 is almost half a decade old, the battery chemistry changes just like other phones. What they did was not only acceptable, but unbeknownst appreciated. The ONLY negative thing would be transparency in that they didn't tell anyone they were implementing this.

Really? Half a decade old?
Try 3 years.
And those symptoms started happening a little after a year into it for the iPhone 6 and 6S.
Its clearly faulty batteries that needed to be replaced that's all.
But they decide to avoid all that cost and did it the sneaky way by slowing down peoples devices.
What they did was not acceptable and should have came out clean about it so the consumer has an option and idea to what is going on to their phone.

Reactions: dkh587

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
Really? Half a decade old?
Try 3 years.
And those symptoms started happening a little after a year into it for the iPhone 6 and 6S.
Its clearly faulty batteries that needed to be replaced that's all.
But they decide to avoid all that cost and did it the sneaky way by slowing down peoples devices.
What they did was not acceptable and should have came out clean about it so the consumer has an option and idea to what is going on to their phone.

It'll be 4 years this year, and not only that, you're not taking into account when the battery was first manufactured (and stored before being actually assembled). Even still, almost every other phone manufacturer from 2014 isn't doing anything with their batteries and the phones are rebooting or shutting down randomly. I'm not saying they are completely without fault, but for just the most part, people just texting or reading an email aren't going to notice a massive slowdown because of the battery. But when running benchmarks (like the Redditor that originally discovered this), the CPU is pushed to the max and the slowdowns are apparent.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
It'll be 4 years this year, and not only that, you're not taking into account when the battery was first manufactured (and stored before being actually assembled). Even still, almost every other phone manufacturer from 2014 isn't doing anything with their batteries and the phones are rebooting or shutting down randomly. I'm not saying they are completely without fault, but for just the most part, people just texting or reading an email aren't going to notice a massive slowdown because of the battery. But when running benchmarks (like the Redditor that originally discovered this), the CPU is pushed to the max and the slowdowns are apparent.

They were released September 19, 2014.
Not everyone bought them on release date and they were not all manufactured at the same time obviously. ;)
Either way for batteries to just shut off like that its unacceptable and Apple obviously used junk or defective batteries. And then was hiding the truth about it and lying to their customers telling them their batteries are fine.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
Not everyone bought them on release date and they were not all manufactured at the same time obviously. ;)
Either way for batteries to just shut off like that its unacceptable and Apple obviously used junk or defective batteries. And then was hiding the truth about it and lying to their customers telling them their batteries are fine.

I hear ya... my question would be WHEN would it be acceptable for your for the batteries to fail? Because at some point the chemistry wears down and the phone reboots either way unless there is a software fix to prevent it. At what year? 5? 6?

That and which companies are ok not to let customers know and which ones should let them layout a blueprint on how they should handle it?

Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I hear ya... my question would be WHEN would it be acceptable for your for the batteries to fail? Because at some point the chemistry wears down and the phone reboots either way unless there is a software fix to prevent it. At what year? 5? 6?

That and which companies are ok not to let customers know and which ones should let them layout a blueprint on how they should handle it?

Within a few years or could be less depending on individual use.
But when they fail I want the option to replace the battery and know about it instead of getting my device slowed down.
That's all. Honesty shouldn't be that much to ask for.
When my TV remove stops working I change the batteries and then it works again as the day I bought it. My TV doesn't slow down or screen quality degrades as the battery gets old. Get it?

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
But when they fail I want the option to replace the battery and know about it instead of getting my device slowed down.
When my TV remove stops working I change the batteries and then it works again as the day I bought it. My TV doesn't slow down or screen quality degrades as the battery gets old. Get it?

It's hard to pin down because it get progressively worse. My original iPhone only lasts 20 minutes now with messing around with it and trying to load webpages. I just replaced a 7 year old Samsung TV that completely crapped out with vertical lines etc. in it and although it sucked, I wasn't suing them. When is it ok for tech to diminish?

The traditional idea is that when it craps out you go buy a new one, but now it's seemingly a progression of informational entitlement of to know ahead of time when something is failing. That in theory is great; it would be nice to know when my TV is about to fail rather than it just jumping the shark randomly some evening.

I think personally 3 years is fair but it's completely up to interpretation. It seems for $29 people expect double that now after multiple lawsuits etc.

I'm old (30's) so it's interesting to see the idea of people suing Nintendo in 1991 because they hate blowing out their cartridges because they are failing...

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
It's hard to pin down because it get progressively worse. My original iPhone only lasts 20 minutes now with messing around with it and trying to load webpages. I just replaced a 7 year old Samsung TV that completely crapped out with vertical lines etc. in it and although it sucked, I wasn't suing them. When is it ok for tech to diminish?

The traditional idea is that when it craps out you go buy a new one, but now it's seemingly a progression of informational entitlement of to know ahead of time when something is failing. That in theory is great; it would be nice to know when my TV is about to fail rather than it just jumping the shark randomly some evening.

I think personally 3 years is fair but it's completely up to interpretation. It seems for $29 people expect double that now after multiple lawsuits etc.

I'm old (30's) so it's interesting to see the idea of people suing Nintendo in 1991 because they hate blowing out their cartridges because they are failing...

Now you're mixing Apples with oranges.
When is it ok for Tech to just diminish or crap out?
That's up to the consumer to decide and if they spend $999+ for a device that diminishes within a year then that kind of approach is not acceptable.
The consumer having the option to know their battery health and if it needs replacement shouldn't be much to ask for. And I should have a say weather I want my device to be slowed down or not.
$29 battery replacement is great but all this change and new options where not available and never would have been unless this scam was discovered and Apple admitted to wrongdoing.
So all this exposure and revelations are good for the consumer in the end. You're welcome :D

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Yes, I see. You dont trust the legal system but you trust a company that deceives their customers :D
lol
[doublepost=1514918544][/doublepost]

You cant be serious.
They came out apologizing for hiding it and you just sit here insisting that they told us about it before?
No you misunderstand, I don't distrust the legal system that is not what I said. I have every faith in that the system is administered fairly. It is the perceived culture of utilising the courts so often to resolve matters that I find odd. And not just that, also the patent system. The concept of class actions is simply more of an exception as generally normal regulatory bodies will have covered it already.

And again you misunderstand, you can see it in the posts linked here they told us before, the apology explains they told us before, the release notes told us before. But as you can clearly, or perhaps not so clearly, see is that they apologise for it not being so clear. I mean even here on a slightly more technical forum some people like yourself and your 'liking' friends seem to find it hard to link their undisputable statement regarding the introduction of power management to the effect popularly called 'throttling'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011

Don't you already have an option to replace the battery? It's not liek your hands and legs are tied down and you are not allowed to replace the battery.

Comparing your TV which runs on AC power to a CPU which is powered by a Li-ion battery is the best comparision you could come up with?

I dont know about you but I Drive a Tesla, when the battery is low, I sometimes shut down the aircon and music system and then drive less aggressively to extend the range. That's what is happening here, that is a proper comparision .

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Don't you already have an option to replace the battery? It's not liek your hands and legs are tied down and you are not allowed to replace the battery.

Comparing your TV which runs on AC power to a CPU which is powered by a Li-ion battery is the best comparision you could come up with?

I dont know about you but I Drive a Tesla, when the battery is low, I sometimes shut down the aircon and music system and then drive less aggressively to extend the range. That's what is happening here, that is a proper comparision .
Exactly - hence it is referred to as power management. And didn’t Tesla enable these advanced features for those owners who bought the entry level model without them, so that they had extra range and could get out of the hurricane danger zone.

I totally get it if people’s phones truly take 3-10 seconds to do some as simple as answering a phone call, although I still have my doubts around the truth of those stories in context of this. I would be demanding a new phone as well as that is simply not acceptable. However, as generally is the case with situations like these, many people come out of the woodwork with all sorts of problems that they all link to this one story.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

No, nobody has the option to replace their iPhone battery unless Apple approves it even if you just want to pay out of pocket. If it doesn't qualify using their little battery health app then they won't do it.
And for most people opening their phone and doing it themselves or going to a random 3rd party shop with questionable parts and service is not an option.
[doublepost=1514944059][/doublepost]
No you misunderstand, I don't distrust the legal system that is not what I said. I have every faith in that the system is administered fairly. It is the perceived culture of utilising the courts so often to resolve matters that I find odd. And not just that, also the patent system. The concept of class actions is simply more of an exception as generally normal regulatory bodies will have covered it already.

And again you misunderstand, you can see it in the posts linked here they told us before, the apology explains they told us before, the release notes told us before. But as you can clearly, or perhaps not so clearly, see is that they apologise for it not being so clear. I mean even here on a slightly more technical forum some people like yourself and your 'liking' friends seem to find it hard to link their undisputable statement regarding the introduction of power management to the effect popularly called 'throttling'.
[doublepost=1514936553][/doublepost]
It is not defending Apple, why would anyone not on the payroll do that? It is about a little balance to the discussion, with some factual information amongst all the emotive repeated posts. Only just now you can see on this page that with full confidence the leap is now being made that all batteries were defective and should have been replaced.

I just don't see them telling us much of what they were doing to our phones and mostly everyone out there didn't see or realize what they were doing.
That's why all the bad publicity and negative uproar and lawsuits.
But I'm confident and hope things will change to the better in the near future with some more transparency to the end user with what is really going on with their devices.
And that's always a good thing being honest and telling the customer what is going on and giving them options to decide on their own.
I think we can all agree to that;)

Reactions: iSilas and jav6454

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
No, nobody has the option to replace their iPhone battery unless Apple approves it even if you just want to pay out of pocket. If it doesn't qualify using their little battery health app then they won't do it.
And for most people opening their phone and doing it themselves or going to a random 3rd party shop with questionable parts and service is not an option.
[doublepost=1514944059][/doublepost]

I just don't see them telling us much of what they were doing to our phones and mostly everyone out there didn't see or realize what they were doing.
That's why all the bad publicity and negative uproar and lawsuits.
But I'm confident and hope things will change to the better in the near future with some more transparency to the end user with what is really going on with their devices.
And that's always a good thing being honest and telling the customer what is going on and giving them options to decide on their own.
I think we can all agree to that;)
Your post doesn't jive with what I am reading here, https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/02/apple-replaces-iphone-batteries-that-pass-tests/

Did I miss something?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Your post doesn't jive with what I am reading here, https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/02/apple-replaces-iphone-batteries-that-pass-tests/

Did I miss something?

Yes, now they just came out with this today.
But for over 10 years that was never an option.
And we're not sure how long they will continue to allow this to happen. Only till the end of 2018 for certain iPhones or will permanently change their policy?
That is a great option to have though that we never had before until this big fiasco blew up:)
So hope Apple is headed in the right direction in the future.

Darshizzle

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2016
they only "apologized" because it was gonna get exposed. Damage control "apology"...but that damage control is doing more damage!

I will not be recommending apple products for anyone that asks. I used to, but have lost confidence in the company. Im pretty sure Apple couldn't care less what I think.

Hope those execs enjoy their huge bonuses and pay raises!

https://www.thestar.com/business/20...cook-with-major-pay-rise-private-jet-use.html

dkh587

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
My opinion: Apple is falling off if they can't produce phones that don't require throttling because they will shut down. They need to step their game all the way up.

I understand why, but it's not acceptable IMO

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

What is your current battery life looking like right now? Anything out of the ordinary?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
What is your current battery life looking like right now? Anything out of the ordinary?

I have a 7 Plus bought on release date.
Im around 93% with battery health but Im staying on iOS 10.3.3 for now. Dont want any new "features" added to my device :D
My CPU is not throttled at all right now and that's why Im avoiding iOS 11.

Last edited:
Reactions: jav6454

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I have a 7 Plus bought on release date.
Im around 93% with battery health but Im staying on iOS 10.3.3 for now. Dont want any new "features" added to my device :D
My CPU is not throttled at all right now and that's why Im avoiding iOS 11.

I bought my 7 in November and it's at 87% battery health. I already have the "featured" installed as I'm at 11.2.1; however, that feature is not affecting me as much as I have an Apple Battery case that keeps full the internal battery at power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.