Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
The person who said add $6.99 to your payment plan to go unthrottled is genius lol.

I mean I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what’s coming at this rate

Apple might say cars in the same model come with different horsepower such as AMG with Mercedes.

Why can’t phones come with different geek bench scores?

stuckonduhmode

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
I’m not addressing your battery point. To each their own. I’m addressing your mentality of what would Steve do. He is dead. Let him rest.

We all know batteries degrade, but what we don’t like is the sneakiness of this “feature”. Like I said earlier, give us the choice in the simplest form.

I'm a bit confused as to why you brought up Steve since I didn't refer to him in any way in your quoted post. I only brought him up because people (like the person I was responding to) keep including him in the conversation. Yes, he is gone and it doesn't matter what he would or wouldn't do.

I don't see it so much as sneakiness. They laid it out in their release notes. It may not have been clear as it should have been and hopefully they will be more transparent in the future.

So there's no other options besides your iPhone randomly shutting off or having a slowed down phone? We keep hearing this bad excuse over and over.
Guess what? I'd rather have Apple replace the faulty batteries free of charge and I'd rather have a full speed iPhone that doesn't randomly shut off.
I guess all other millions of iPhones and smartphones before the i6 and 6S we're turning off within a year and that's all Apple could come up to resolve this defective battery issue?

It's not an excuse. It's just what I would choose if given those two options. Apple saw a problem and took the least expensive route which if working would solve the majority of the issues with bad batteries. No one is arguing that they prefer the current situation. I just feel that it’s been blown out of proportion.

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
Apple saw a problem and took the least expensive route which if working would solve the majority of the issues with bad batteries. No one is arguing that they prefer the current situation. I just feel that it’s been blown out of proportion.

Apple Not disclosing the fix has not been blown out of proportion enough. They deliberately with held information regarding the solution. This is the crime. Not the method they chose to correct the problem. Load balancing seems sound. Until you decide not to disclose the fix and allow unsuspecting customers to upgrade unnecessarily. That is disgusting behavior.

stuckonduhmode

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
The difference is that we are talking about cell phone batteries. And they should not have a life span of 1-3 years. And Apple should not have implemented a procedure that throttled a phone with out explaining the situation. That is the crime they are guilty of. Apple would have said nothing if they were not exposed, and allowed their customers to upgrade unnecessarily. How many millions did apple make from the customer who was not aware that iOS did this and a simple battery change would have solved their issues? I find it very upsetting that folks could be angered with an Italian company for using Steve Jobs Name and similar logo, yet in the same breath give apple a pass on this disgusting behavior.

The batteries consist of the same lithium ion technology. The life span (bar defective batteries) depends by use case and should last longer than 2-3 years albeit with possible issues inherent in the technology.

But yes, Apple should have made it more clear that they were implementing this “feature” although I don’t see it as affecting the majority of phones out there.

Reactions: Raist3001

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
This throttling thing isn’t a feature imo- it’s a detriment.

They probably would’ve announced it in the keynote or maybe mentioned in the tips app or something would’ve been revealed somewhere. Even in settings there would be an option like “turn off power management” then under that it might say “your iPhone may have less battery life” or something.

From what I understand this was hidden.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
They probably would’ve announced it in the keynote

No, they would not have. Apple rarely touches on anything specific regarding iOS settings or battery related management in their keynotes. Similarly to how they never mention Ram either. And even if the throttling was not brought to their attention, they never would have addressed this in a keynote. That's not how their keynotes function.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
No, they would not have. Apple rarely touches on anything specific regarding iOS settings or battery related management in their keynotes. Similarly to how they never mention Ram either. And even if the throttling was not brought to their attention, they never would have addressed this in a keynote. That's not how their keynotes function.

Or maybe they just don't mention features they have to apologize for. Could be as simple as that.

xsdeus

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
San Diego, CA
That's a ridiculous excuse.
A company is willing to work with its customers? After they got caught ripping them off for years.
How nice of them.
Yes Apple should be praised :D

I don't think Apple ripped off its customers for years, if we are discussing solely on the battery and slowdown issue.

Electronic devices degrade over time, especially those with internal batteries. I think Apple did a great job explaining why they needed to slow down the devices to improve overall user experience, which it probably thought was an engineering solution that, like so many other solutions they create, did not need to be announced.

Personally, I've never held onto an iPhone for longer than a year, and so have never experienced any slowdowns related to degraded battery states.

If a car doesn't start because the battery is bad, you don't replace the entire car. Just replace the battery. If the car is getting too old overall, it's a different story. I don't think anyone debates the fact cars lose power as they age. Why is this any different?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.