Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2015
It comes down to what you prefer in comfortability and size. If you can accept the overall size the iPhone SE, then I would not consider that crazy at all. It's all preference and what the SE has to offer for you.

Will SE last into fall 2018 with new software?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I just moved from the 7 to SE since I am preparing to sell the 7. Have not regretted the decision one bit. The smaller keyboard took some getting used to (at least for me), but I absolutely love the size.

I would not hesitate to move to the SE.

Reactions: andreyush

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2015
I just moved from the 7 to SE since I am preparing to sell the 7. Have not regretted the decision one bit. The smaller keyboard took some getting used to (at least for me), but I absolutely love the size.

I would not hesitate to move to the SE.

Awesome! I won't make all that much financially in the move - $100 or so. But I use my phone for email, calls, and texts, and just think I can be better served with one-handed use!

warshaw

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2009
It's a personal choice, there's nothing wrong with the SE. I bought an SE recently but returned it after a couple of weeks because it was just too small for me. Everything else about the phone is great.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Will SE last into fall 2018 with new software?
No worries there, it will be good for years. Same RAM as the 7 (and the 7S?) and bear in mind they've only recently put the same processor in the current base-level iPad, which they're clearly intending to have iPad 2 like longevity.

Azzurro

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2015
Milan
I did this, no regrets at all. I got lucky with having a TSMC SE too so battery life is just a beast.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2015
I did this, no regrets at all. I got lucky with having a TSMC SE too so battery life is just a beast.

Can you elaborate? And even with the impending iPhone 8/X/Edition, you think it's still a good move? I suppose I can't imagine going to a bigger screen.

Azzurro

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2015
Milan
Can you elaborate? And even with the impending iPhone 8/X/Edition, you think it's still a good move? I suppose I can't imagine going to a bigger screen.
I had a 6S, switched to 7 and to be honest I am disappointed with the little difference they have and their battery life. And that's when I considered the SE. I admit I was skeptical but I liked the SE a lot. This is subjective so at the end of the day it's your choice.

But if I were you I will wait for September 12 and then ultimately decide if you will still prefer the SE or not. (Personally I am eyeing for a potential SE next March? Nothing's definitive but I am crossing my fingers!)

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
I originally purchased a 6 Plus because I wanted to try out the huge screen but eventually became to regret it. With my 6 Plus battery going bad, ear speaker all but gone and a cracked screen, I was looking at a $170 bill from CPR to fix it all so I went next door to a mobile carrier to see if they had any deals going on. I left with a new SE for only $99 which included a $200 phone discount and $100 for switching carriers. Working great except for some coverage and nav issues which I need to speak with T-Mo support about. I love the SE's size, and aside from a few missing features, it seems much faster than my old 6 Plus. Then I found a Lifeproof FRE case for $25 on eBay to top it all off; quite pleased at the moment.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The SE is reasonably future-proof, so I wouldn’t let that stop you. I’m running iOS 11 very smoothly. I love being able to truly use the phone one-handed, and it’s small in the pocket.

However, the screen is tiny. Definitely go have a look at one before committing.

Reactions: kazmac

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
While I can certainly see the reasons for moving to an SE (which is a great phone by the way), I wouldn't do it until after the keynote next week. While we think we know what Apple is going to release, there could be some new features in the flagship phone that haven't been talked about or even a surprise update to the SE. Seeing that we're only a week away from knowing, I would definitely wait. If there's nothing in the keynote that interests you, then jumping to the SE is not at all crazy. I had both an SE & a 7. I ended up keeping the 7, but could just as easily have kept the SE. They are both great phones with different strengths.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
But if I were you I will wait for September 12 and then ultimately decide if you will still prefer the SE or not. (Personally I am eyeing for a potential SE next March? Nothing's definitive but I am crossing my fingers!)

I Would agree with this. And I also do think between March 2018 through June 2018 is when we will see the next iPhone SE. It Should be right around the two-year mark, which the iPhone SE is not an annual upgrade.

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
If user experience is the main thing you look for in an iPhone, then the SE is the best iPhone to date.

Incredible battery life. Comfortable and quick to use in one hand. Super portable, fits in your pocket. Has a headphone jack, Apple Pay and great camera. Durability. Timeless design that was designed with the actual user in mind. The screen is the perfect balance between comfort/ease of use and real estate.

The only trade offs are the gimmicks like 3D Touch and water resistance, and for some, the screen size (which most don't actually need unless they're a big gamer or movie watcher...or those who perhaps never used a phone prior to the 6).

It's a no-brainer.

Reactions: b0fh666

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2015
I'm going to do it! I don't have $1000 to spend on iPhone 8, and don't really feel like I utilize half the features offered to me by iPhone 7 (though I do appreciate it being water-resistant).... I hope it's worth it!

Reactions: kazmac and yep-sure

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yes...crazy like a fox! :)

SE has all the essentials (minus force-touch) so provided you don't need that, the SE is quite a killer phone, esp. for the money paid.
Especially so if you can take advantage of the deals offered for prepaid devices (USA). Fry's recently had a promo on the AT&T iPhone SE 32GB for $129.99 (in-store only). Works fine on AT&T postpaid.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Especially so if you can take advantage of the deals offered for prepaid devices (USA). Fry's recently had a promo on the AT&T iPhone SE 32GB for $129.99 (in-store only). Works fine on AT&T postpaid.

I swear...if Apple had debuted the SE before the 6s...it would have been the phone I would have gotten.

I still don't use force-touch to this day...

Reactions: kazmac and yep-sure
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.