Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Is there a way to disable force touch? I find it more annoying than useful. :rolleyes:

I think your post is being sarcastic, which I know your referring to 3D Touch. Force Touch is applied to the Apple Watch.

But in case you were serious about disabling it:

General-Accessibility-3D Touch-Off.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I think your post is being sarcastic, which I know your referring to 3D Touch. Force Touch is applied to the Apple Watch.

But in case you were serious about disabling it:

General-Accessibility-3D Touch-Off.
Thanks. Not sarcasm. Don't care for the feature so don't know what the correct term is. It really does annoy me often opening previews in Safari when all I want is a simple context menu.

Reactions: 44267547

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Thanks. Not sarcasm. Don't care for the feature so don't know what the correct term is. It really does annoy me often opening previews in Safari when all I want is a simple context menu.

My wife can't stand it either, so I disabled it on the 6s that she had. What's funny is that it would drive me nuts when I would use her phone because apparently, I use it pretty frequently.

Just goes to show how different peoples' preferences can be, even when their really close. :p

To answer @James.K.Polk , absolutely not crazy. My wife went 5s>6s>SE and she's happier with her SE than she's ever been. I don't think there is a better "bang for your buck" smartphone. The pre-paid carriers are selling them for $129 now. That's an insanely good deal for a phone that has the guts of the previous generation iPhone. I'd get it in a heartbeat if I wasn't a screen snob.

Reactions: rui no onna

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It should come down to screen size. I have the 7 and could never go back to a smaller phone. It’s also more future proof than the SE.

Even so, I don't think iPhone SE owners are considering future proofing. They strictly just want a device for ease of one-handed use and a smaller form factor. I would say that out weighs future proofing with that specific iPhone.

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
My future requirements won't be much more sophisticated than my current requirements:

- Long battery life.
- Ease of use one handed.
- Pocketable/Portability.
- Durability.
- Apple Pay.
- Great design.
- TouchID.
- Headphone Jack.
- Fast/Enough RAM for the next few iOS iterations.

The SE is future proof as far as I am concerned.

Things like 3D Touch, Waterproofing, Face-scanning, small bezels, no home button, OLED displays, etc., aren't requirements, they are just things bolted on to sell more phones to people who already have devices that meet their needs with all existing features.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
It should come down to screen size. I have the 7 and could never go back to a smaller phone. It’s also more future proof than the SE.
Barely - much of the processor improvement is negated by the fact that the SE's screen is smaller, so it has less work to do in terms of moving pixels, and less power consumption as well.

RAM is the same 2Gb on both devices - this is rumoured to increase with the 7S/8, but if that signifies some more demands on RAM in future iOS releases, those will affect both the 7 and SE equally at the same time.

Apple recently based the new iPad on the same processor and ram as the SE, so it's obvious they'll be supporting that setup for quite some time. Either way I'm sure both phones will long outlast the time any of us here are likely to keep them before upgrading.

Reactions: yep-sure

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
My future requirements won't be much more sophisticated than my current requirements:

- Long battery life.
- Durability.
- Apple Pay.
- Great design.
- TouchID.
- Headphone Jack.

Things like 3D Touch, Waterproofing, Face-scanning, small bezels, no home button, OLED displays, etc., aren't requirements, they are just things bolted on to sell more phones to people who already have devices that meet their needs with all existing features.
Best future proofing feature - can be had for $130-200 (USA). That's less than depreciation on higher end phones and leaves funds available to upgrade in the future as needed. :D

Reactions: yep-sure and kazmac

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014

- Long battery life.
- Durability.
- Apple Pay.
- Great design.
- TouchID.
- Headphone Jack.

I could say the exact same thing about Apple Pay, TouchID or even the headphone jack. There are people who won't buy a phone if it's not water resistant or doesn't have an OLED screen which make them requirements for those people.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I’ve been using the SE for about 8 days now and it’s a great little phone. Coming from a 6S Plus, it took me a day or two to adjust, but I quickly grew to love the small size and the ease of one-handed use again. Performance is great on iOS 10, and the battery life has been fantastic.

The SE is getting returned, though, because I don’t know how well it’ll hold up over two years, and I don’t think it’s worth the $530 I paid for the 128 model at Apple (resale value will be low). If I’d gotten a cheaper 64GB model elsewhere then maybe I’d be keeping the SE. But my new 7 Plus arrives today, so it’s back to the giant iPhones for me.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’ve been using the SE for about 8 days now and it’s a great little phone. Coming from a 6S Plus, it took me a day or two to adjust, but I quickly grew to love the small size and the ease of one-handed use again. Performance is great on iOS 10, and the battery life has been fantastic.

The SE is getting returned, though, because I don’t know how well it’ll hold up over two years, and I don’t think it’s worth the $530 I paid for the 128 model at Apple (resale value will be low). If I’d gotten a cheaper 64GB model elsewhere then maybe I’d be keeping the SE. But my new 7 Plus arrives today, so it’s back to the giant iPhones for me.

One thing I want to comment on, is you listed some great features about the iPhone SE, but I did not care for the sharper edges with iPhone SE holding it. I just like the rounded edges on iPhone 7 better and it's more comfortable to hold in my hand. That's just a small personal note I had with the iPhone SE.

Reactions: CE3

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I just came back to Apple after using a 5.5” Huawei Honor 5x phone for several months. I missed the stability, security and ease of use of iOS. Picked up an SE and what a beast of a phone. Very fast, battery lasts forever and I absolutely love the small form factor, especially the ability to use it one handed. I just felt the 5.5” was overkill for daily use. If you don’t mind the smaller screen, which you’ll get used to, the SE is a great phone and will be future proof for a long while I’m sure.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
One thing I want to comment on, is you listed some great features about the iPhone SE, but I did not care for the sharper edges with iPhone SE holding it. I just like the rounded edges on iPhone 7 better and it's more comfortable to hold in my hand. That's just a small personal note I had with the iPhone SE.

I put mine in a leather case, which softens the edges.

A note about Apple’s leather SE cases (should the OP buy one): my saddle brown case cracked at the upper base where the headphone jack is within the first 10 minutes of using. I literally put the phone in the case once and it cracked when I took it out to take the plastic off the back of the phone. The $10 blue Apple leather cases I found on Amazon for the 5/5s were much better quality.

Last edited:

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
So those people didn't own a phone before 2016?
So you didn't own a phone before 2013 ? Maybe, I don't know the answer but my point is that both TouchID and Apple Pay didn't existed until the iPhone 5s and iPhone 6 respectively and those appears to be requirements for you to buy a new phone today.

cleebrown93

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2015
If you are an AT&T customer, you can pick up the 32GB iPhone SE Prepaid model from Best Buy for $150 brand new. And it works perfect on postpaid. I just picked one up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.