Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magneeto

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 27, 2020
I know there is a Huge Segment here which believes in using the iPad Screen Naked i.e. without any Screen Protector and they have their explanation and reason for that (Not had any Scratches or Cracks so far) Blah...Blah...and they will always strongly lobby for that. Even I was at one point of time in that category but now since I am using a good quality Glass Screen Protector I realize that they are not such a bad thing, as people make out them to be.

My question to the people here is with the new 12.9" getting the Mini Led and Liquid Retina XDR and all that JAZZ it is going to be a device which is going to have great Display and Picture Quality ! would you still slap a Glass Screen Protector on it ? (I am not talking about MATT because that for sure hampers Quality) But would you guys still apply a Glass Screen Protector on it ? would it not hamper the Viewing Joy from the Liquid Retina XR and Mini-Led powered 12.9" Screen of the 2021 iPad Pro ?

FlyingScot

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
South Florida
Yes. A high-quality glass screen protector will not reduce quality of view while protecting that expensive mini-LED screen. I run a glass screen protector on my 11”, tried the paper like screen protector and hated that it reduced quality / ”fuzzed” over the screen. So yes, with a very good protector well worth it, IMHO.

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
After just over 2 years with a screen protector on my SE which I put on the phone the day I bought it, I decided to remove it yesterday. It had slowly started lifting shortly after I put it on. It's practically impossible to remove the microscopic dust particles that cause bubbles. Wow, I literally feel like I have a new phone now. I wish I had never put the damn thing on in the first place, and it cost €25. Apple did not design their devices for 3rd party protectors. Sure, you can add one, but my phone is now that much more responsive to my touch, and image quality is noticeably better. While you might be able to scratch the naked screen with a chainsaw or you may break it if you drive over it with a Mack truck, if you're careful with your stuff, the loose change and keys in your pocket or handbag won't hurt it. My next phone looks to be a 12 Mini. I will not be putting a protector on it.

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
Well there's one way to find out the answer to your question, just do it, and see what happens. If it doesn't work, simply peel it off. In my case it cost me €25 and took 2 years to realise my mistake.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I know there is a Huge Segment here which believes in using the iPad Screen Naked i.e. without any Screen Protector and they have their explanation and reason for that (Not had any Scratches or Cracks so far) Blah...Blah...and they will always strongly lobby for that. Even I was at one point of time in that category but now since I am using a good quality Glass Screen Protector I realize that they are not such a bad thing, as people make out them to be.

My question to the people here is with the new 12.9" getting the Mini Led and Liquid Retina XDR and all that JAZZ it is going to be a device which is going to have great Display and Picture Quality ! would you still slap a Glass Screen Protector on it ? (I am not talking about MATT because that for sure hampers Quality) But would you guys still apply a Glass Screen Protector on it ? would it not hamper the Viewing Joy from the Liquid Retina XR and Mini-Led powered 12.9" Screen of the 2021 iPad Pro ?
No, I just rely on AppleCare.

magneeto

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 27, 2020
Well there's one way to find out the answer to your question, just do it, and see what happens. If it doesn't work, simply peel it off. In my case it cost me €25 and took 2 years to realise my mistake.

I am already using one on my 2018 11" iPad Pro !

Reactions: Nhwhazup

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
Forget about getting a glass screen protector, which simply adds thickness and weight with very little benefit. I’d highly recommend getting a matte film screen protector for the iPad Pro instead. I’ve used one from iCarez for the past couple of years and it’s awesome.

Not only does the matte surface provide more resistance when using the Pencil, but it blocks just enough reflections to make it easier to use in brightly lit rooms. It also is easier to clean than the bare glass, imho. I can also say that it protected my iPad the one time it fell off a table onto a brick patio. The screen protector got damaged, but none of the scratches made it through the film onto the glass.

magneeto

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 27, 2020
How much does a decent 11" protector cost? I paid what I paid for a 3.5" one, and it was rubbish. So, I'm guessing not cheap, which might explain your hesitation.

The Chinese as with all other accessories of making for the iPad Pro are Pro in making Glass Screen Protector. Obviously if you get a cheap one the experience is marred down with a bad feel.i paid around $35 USD for the one I have.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
if you’re an artist or a student who takes notes using their iPad you best place a screen protector on that screen. Apple Pencil is notorious for scratching away the oleophobic coating and leaving visible grooves in the screen. Screen protector for the win. All other users who just consume media it may not be as necessary but a pristine screen does help when reselling in the future, IMO.

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
The Chinese as with all other accessories of making for the iPad Pro are Pro in making Glass Screen Protector. Obviously if you get a cheap one the experience is marred down with a bad feel.i paid around $35 USD for the one I have.
If it's that cheap, like I say, just try it. If I'm considering an actual iPad I might want to do my research, but for 35 bucks I wouldn't waste my time.

Speaking of Chinese brands, I'm quite impressed with the quality of the braided Ugreen cables for your Apple device of choice, quality cables being the one thing Apple do not seem good at.

Last edited:

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
I would love to use a paperlike protector for the touch it gives, but it seems a sin to compromise screen quality, especially since you’re paying dearly for it. Scratches have never been an issue for me. Hopefully, the mini-led screens have the same hardness.

Reactions: gotong

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
I would love to use a paperlike protector for the touch it gives, but it seems a sin to compromise screen quality, especially since you’re paying dearly for it. Scratches have never been an issue for me. Hopefully, the mini-led screens have the same hardness.
This. Scratches have also not been an issue for me, I'm just that careful to not let my screens get scratched in the first place. Indeed, you've paid a premium price for your device that Apple have spent millions developing, only for you to now cover it with a cheap piece of plastic. Umm, no.

As I mentioned earlier, my finger glides over the screen so much better now, the way Apple intended it to. Apple would not be the most valuable company in the world if they didn't know what they're doing.

magneeto

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 27, 2020
This. Scratches have also not been an issue for me, I'm just that careful to not let my screens get scratched in the first place. Indeed, you've paid a premium price for your device that Apple have spent millions developing, only for you to now cover it with a cheap piece of plastic. Umm, no.

Apple has no where so far and so far in all these years ever mentioned on their any product page that since we have invested million of Dollars in Research & Development inventing a new tech product ! It is absolutely scratch free ! Infact last year after the launch of iPhone 12 when I had asked this in a mail to Kaiann Drance VP-Ptoduct Marketing for Apple she said this, iPhone 12 has the same features.of screen in terms of scratch and other things as our previous iPhones. So she did not clearly give any answer on it and IMHO she evaded the question now it is your decision how much comfortable you are using naked screen. And all those people who have claimed so far oh well ! I have never had. Any scrach on my screen so far !! just tell them to take their device and obseve it in vivid light conditions like a studio light ! Their beliefs wil be shattered to dust !!

Last edited:

Gandek

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2017
For some reason tempered glass always reduces the sensitivity and registers some of your swipes as taps on ipad. On iPhone it’s always been great. So I just stopped dealing with them

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
If it is so much needed, why don't the design of the iPad already have a screen protector? All these new features but a simple screen protector is always left out by the apple design team. lol yes I've never used one on any of my devices , iPads and iPhones. And I've owned an iPhone since 2008.. and just about every iteration of the iPad but the mini.

Last edited by a moderator:

hatchettjack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2020
All these beautiful screens and all you want to do is cover them up! smdh
1619231131310.png

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I have been using one on previous devices just for the easy of mind that I can take my sleeve and wipe off fingerprints and not care about scratches. But I have realised that the screen protectors increase glare enough so the fingerprints actually become more annoying on the screen protector. So for the mini-LED I will be going without it.

magneeto

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 27, 2020
But I have realised that the screen protectors increase glare enough so the fingerprints actually become more annoying on the screen protector. So for the mini-LED I will be going without it.
But dont you think you are saying the opposite with the screen protector applied on the Screen you should be getting less fingerprints ? So where is the question of Fingerprints standing out with the Glare on the Screen ?

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
But dont you think you are saying the opposite with the screen protector applied on the Screen you should be getting less fingerprints ? So where is the question of Fingerprints standing out with the Glare on the Screen ?

Because the glare when the sun hits the screen protector makes the fingerprints more pronounced, also the glare itself is annoying. If I go naked combined with the higher brightness of the screen would most likely make the fingerprints less noticable and I won’t get the glare from the protector that is distracting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.