Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Was just thinking that my ideal iPhone would be the SE, twice as thick and heavy, and would last all week between charges. It's still small because it's otherwise SE form factor and still drops in the pants pocket easily. It's simple, basic, cheap, does iPhone stuff, and I can just charge it on Sunday and forget about it, and have a nice life.

• Haha
Reactions: Fred Zed

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
No, that would be too much. If it lasts 2 days, that's good enough. I have a charger at home and can charge at the end of each day. A two day battery would be a buffer in case I forget to charge.

Reactions: Yuuuki and maxrest

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
A phone that is twice as thick and heavy would only be 2x as long lasting. So say your phone only lasts a couple days on a charge because you're a light user, you'd get maybe 4 days.

Nope. My phone is my mobile device. It goes in my back pocket when I'm walking around. It is my device that I take with me when I leave my house.

Two times now I've gotten the Pro model and went back to the Pro Max because I missed the battery life but I REALLY liked the size and the feeling in the hand. Ultimately went back to the Pro Max because of battery life and screen size.

But no way would I go heavier / bigger than this.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
No! My life is nice even though I have to plug my phone in at night, while I sleep. Would not mind a little bit thicker but twice as thick, no.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Please no. 😂

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 04.52.58.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 04.52.58.png
    1 MB · Views: 101
Reactions: BigMcGuire

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
No, but I wouldn’t mind a larger MagSafe battery, especially on my 14 pro max. The extra weight would be worth it for me.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
That's only the case if the entirety of the phone is the battery. If the battery is, say, 50% of the phone, then doubling the size would triple the battery capacity.
I think that's about right, which would give about 4 days between charges if not used much.

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
Yes.

Also, you would never have to replace that battery for like four or five years.

Bring it on!
Why not? People would whine about their battery health dropping to 99% and open a trillion threads about what’s wrong with their battery just like they do now! ;)

neutrino17

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2022
No. I charge it while I sleep. I don’t use it then. At night I still have about 80% charge left.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
Thicker and heavier is not appealing to me but I would pay double for an iPhone that lasted a real full day, 16+ SOT and half the weight of the 14 Pro.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
No, I like phones with big displays but weigh as little as possible. I would rather charge more often as long as the user experience is better due to lighter weight.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
No, I’ve never struggled with battery life. My iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12 gives me 16 hours of screen-on time on Wi-Fi and 12 on LTE. Double that and whilst it would be amazing, I don’t need it. The Xʀ is enough, always. Even heavy camera use hasn’t been enough to make me need a charger before the end of the day. I don’t need more battery life than this. The iPhone Xʀ is perfect.

I do wonder however whether the absolutely massive battery on the 13 Pro Max (which isn’t twice as good as the Xʀ, but isn’t far), will finally be the model to reach the end of its iOS support lifespan with good battery life. Apple claims 28 hours of video playback (16 on the Xʀ), so I’d get 28 hours of light use, and 21 hours of full LTE. Maybe? I’m not sure. Even if Apple halves that through iOS updates, this model might be the one to have enough battery life for a full day throughout its entire update lifespan. It isn’t twice as thick.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
My 14 Pro Max has a great battery, I don’t want or need a bigger battery lol.

Cunir

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2021
I wouldn't mind buying a thicker and heavier TV with decent speakers built in, but not a heavier phone.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
Was just thinking that my ideal iPhone would be the SE, twice as thick and heavy, and would last all week between charges. It's still small because it's otherwise SE form factor and still drops in the pants pocket easily. It's simple, basic, cheap, does iPhone stuff, and I can just charge it on Sunday and forget about it, and have a nice life.

With Apple's consistently thicker and heavier phones each year, all you have to do is wait a bit.

Did you see the latest mockup of the iPhone 16? Here it is:

brick-in-back-pocket-2-1513434.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Aston441

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

I’m pretty sure if they took the iPhone 14 Plus and put a 6000mAh battery and you put it into Low Power Mode, you’d get that sort of battery life, lol.

Honestly though it would be lovely to have a phone that can last a full week, I think given the higher and higher dependence on battery power (cars, trucks etc…) will lead to a lot more resources being pumped into creating much higher density batteries that degrade slower and last longer between charges.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I wonder how much bigger an iPhone battery would have to be to be a LifeP04 battery - like we're seeing in some of these generator replacement batteries. 10 year life cycles, can sit at 100% without loss to capacity, etc. Then, leaving your phone plugged in when at home wouldn't be a bad thing and you could easily use your phone for 5 years. Imagine the reduction in e-waste that would be.

I am no expert but I understand that Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries are quite bigger for the same output as what we've got now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.