Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you give up 3D Touch for TouchID built into the display?

• Yes

Votes: 84 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 28.3%
  • Other - please explain

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

jun180

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
It was interesting to read a report by Ming-Chi Kuo stating that 3D touch was a reason why the in-display TouchID sensor for the new iPhone X never made it to production. Here's a section from the article on 9to5mac.com:

"While this year, Face ID is limited to the iPhone X, Kuo believes it will come to all 2018 models due largely to the fact that in-display fingerprint technology is still technologically challenging for Apple. This is because the 3D Touch module makes the entire display panel thicker and thus reduces the accuracy and scan-through of a under-display fingerprint reader." https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/19/kgi-touch-id-face-id-2018-iphones/

I've never been a huge fan of 3D touch and think of it as a gimmick, and would happily trade 3D touch for TouchID embedded in the display. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter, and hopefully get some Apple staff will read some of the feedback to inform some of their design choices for the 2018 iPhones. Would you give up 3D Touch for TouchID in the display?

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Absolutely, but not because I don't use 3D Touch - I use it all the time - but it's because there isn't a single 3D Touch interaction on the phone that can't be replaced by a simple long-press.

Here's an example: using control center widgets on my iPhone 6S (which has force touch) and my iPad mini 2 (which doesn't), the way a long press on the iPad works and feels is almost indistinguishable from 3D Touch on the iPhone.

baldgye3000

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2017
I've never had an iPhone with 3D touch... yet... and from what I've seen of it on newer iPhone's, it seems to be a feature that's not very meaningful... so I would give it up... but I agree that it shouldn't be one, without the other.

I also think, that the face scanning, if more secure, should be the way forward. Making it work and being as secure as possible has the be the future.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
3D touch is more an annoyance than convenience for me, so Touch ID would be better. I hope the rumors of Apple switching exclusively to Face ID aren't true as I have no desire to have that so-called 'feature.'

Reactions: Vanilla35

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
Lose 3D Touch and lose the cursor?

No thanks, that's one of the best features on the iPhone.
This and the app switcher (now gone in iOS 11) are the only times I use 3D Touch but it's way too valuable to use. I'm always highly annoyed when I can't use the feature on my iPad Pro

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Just designate some sections for the TouchID - there's no need for Force Touch in the beside notch areas so that can be your fingerprint sensor zone.

jun180

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Absolutely, but not because I don't use 3D Touch - I use it all the time - but it's because there isn't a single 3D Touch interaction on the phone that can't be replaced by a simple long-press.

Here's an example: using control center widgets on my iPhone 6S (which has force touch) and my iPad mini 2 (which doesn't), the way a long press on the iPad works and feels is almost indistinguishable from 3D Touch on the iPhone.

I agree, I much prefer long press and it can provide exactly the same functionality.

Lose 3D Touch and lose the cursor?

No thanks, that cursor is one of the best features on the iPhone for getting stuff done on the go.

I agree that the cursor is handy sometimes, however it could remain without 3D touch. For example, long press the spacebar key and then drag around like normal? The time difference between the two would be negligible.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Nope. But that's not because I think 3D touch is more important - it's not - it's because at this point I would expect both.

I find 3D Touch convenient. I use it quite often to short cut applications. Peek and Pop Is nice for messages and Photo's. I would actually miss 3D Touch if it were taken away. But with Face ID being new and innovative, I actually am more interested in using this technology and still having access to 3D Touch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ntombi and sdwaltz

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
I find 3D Touch convenient. I use it quite often to short cut applications. Peek and Pop
Is nice for messages and Photo's. I would actually miss 3D Touch if it were taken away. But with Face ID being new and innovative, I actually am more interested in using this technology and still having access to 3D Touch.

At first I thought it was pretty gimmicky but I find myself using it all the time without even thinking about it. Not so much with app shortcuts but peek and pop truly adds a level of depth to iOS that wasn't there prior.

Reactions: 44267547

4ppleg1rl

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2017
3D Touch is handy (peeking at Whatsapp messages so I can see them all without actually having it shown as read!) but it's not exactly life changing. Touch ID is much more convenient but at this point, I would prefer to have both!

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
I agree, I much prefer long press and it can provide exactly the same functionality.

Very good point, what is really interesting is I just noticed the long press on my iPad Pro working in the control center to bring up things like flashlight brightness, etc. just about everything in the control center will pop open with long press on the iPad. A long press on the brightness slider will bring up options for nightshift and true tone.

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
I just don't use 3D Touch that much. The only time I really use it is to clear notifications. Yeah, I use it for Live Photos, but it's not necessary for viewing them seeing as how phones and tablets without 3D Touch can still view the Live Photos.

Reactions: Act3

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
I just don't use 3D Touch that much. The only time I really use it is to clear notifications. Yeah, I use it for Live Photos, but it's not necessary for viewing them seeing as how phones and tablets without 3D Touch can still view the Live Photos.

Clear notifications is a nice feature of it. I use it on the settings icon a bit to check battery life/usage.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

3D Touch has a lot of advantages for third-party applications for those that support it. It's just in the shortcut for a quicker access into the application.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ntombi

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
3D Touch has a lot of advantages for third-party applications for those that support it. It's just in the shortcut for a quicker access into the application.
I think the potential is there, but none of it has really been realized in the apps that I use. It's been two years now, so I'm thinking it's never going to really happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.