Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you give up 3D Touch for TouchID built into the display?

• Yes

Votes: 84 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 28.3%
  • Other - please explain

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Absolutely, but not because I don't use 3D Touch - I use it all the time - but it's because there isn't a single 3D Touch interaction on the phone that can't be replaced by a simple long-press.

Here's an example: using control center widgets on my iPhone 6S (which has force touch) and my iPad mini 2 (which doesn't), the way a long press on the iPad works and feels is almost indistinguishable from 3D Touch on the iPhone.

That’s actually incorrect. You cannot launch quick commands on apps, peek and pop in mail, the cursor by long pressing the keyboard, etc. that is three right off the top of my head.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Would be sad to ever lose that, that’s what gives the iPhone a big advantage in certain games that take advantage of it as well!

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I’m coming from a 6, and a 5s before that. I’ve never even had 3D Touch, but I’ve been using TouchID every time I wake up my phone for the last 4 years, and it’s been flawless for me. You can guess which one I’d do without given the choice.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
That’s actually incorrect. You cannot launch quick commands on apps, peek and pop in mail, the cursor by long pressing the keyboard, etc. that is three right off the top of my head.
No, you are misinterpreting what I said. Here is what I said exactly: "There isn't a single 3D Touch interaction on the phone that can't be replaced by a simple long-press."

All the interactions you listed absolutely could be replaced by a long press if Apple chose to. None of them inherently require 3D Touch for any reason other than that's how Apple chose to implement them. Some would be completely indistinguishable (long press on keyboard for cursor would be basically identical), some like peek and pop would require some rethinking and may not be as quick or easy as 3D Touch (e.g. maybe you would vary the length of the long press for pop vs. peek vs. copy/paste etc.).

Would it be nice to have both? Sure, but if my choices are to keep 3D Touch and lose TouchID, or keep TouchID and perhaps wait an extra 50 milliseconds on a long press to get a peek/pop, I know what I'd choose.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
No, you are misinterpreting what I said. Here is what I said exactly: "There isn't a single 3D Touch interaction on the phone that can't be replaced by a simple long-press."

All the interactions you listed absolutely could be replaced by a long press if Apple chose to. None of them inherently require 3D Touch for any reason other than that's how Apple chose to implement them. Some would be completely indistinguishable (long press on keyboard for cursor would be basically identical), some like peek and pop would require some rethinking and may not be as quick or easy as 3D Touch (e.g. maybe you would vary the length of the long press for pop vs. peek vs. copy/paste etc.).

Would it be nice to have both? Sure, but if my choices are to keep 3D Touch and lose TouchID, or keep TouchID and perhaps wait an extra 50 milliseconds on a long press to get a peek/pop, I know what I'd choose.

Gotcha. I did misunderstand what you said. I thought you were saying in the current state long press does everything. It still does a lot that 3D Touch does.

Reactions: GoingDark

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I've never had an iPhone with 3D touch... yet... and from what I've seen of it on newer iPhone's, it seems to be a feature that's not very meaningful... so I would give it up... but I agree that it shouldn't be one, without the other.

I also think, that the face scanning, if more secure, should be the way forward. Making it work and being as secure as possible has the be the future.

3D Touch is a great, useful feature. If you don’t think it is, ur not using it correctly. I can’t think of a single reason anyone would say it’s not useful. I would love to have Embedded Touch ID, but I wouldn’t give up 3D Touch for it.

Reactions: Knowimagination

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I would much rather have 3D touch than touch ID. I don't see the need for touch ID now that I will have Face ID.

4ppleg1rl

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2017
3Dtouch is pretty much useless, it’s a gimmick. Ofc in some cases it’s handy but it’s not necessary at all.

Touch ID on the other hand enhances the way we use our phones and is used a lot more than 3D Touch.

This shouldn’t even be a question, there’s a clear answer here

Reactions: Bethanie21

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
They should of just put Touch ID on the back of the X. Problem solved.

If there was some way of putting a fingerprint scanner on the side of the phone so you just pass your finger over it, that would be neat too.

Reactions: Simacca

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
I haven't really experienced 3D Touch, but I know if you tap and hold, you can get sim

If there was some way of putting a fingerprint scanner on the side of the phone so you just pass your thumb over it, that would be neat too.

That’s a good idea too. They could of easily incorporated Touch ID somehow.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Yes. I don't really use 3D touch to be honest. I never got into to the way it works. I could do without for sure.

Dannehkins

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2011
I really like 3D Touch, but I feel like in some circumstances its potential is not realised.

I am hoping the situation will change though when the lowest common iPhone denominator for supported devices supports 3D Touch.

hush17

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2017
U.K.
I'd like to see 3D Touch improved and I hope Face ID works as advertised.

Touch ID is bad enough for me on the home button as it is. Always having to wipe it off, failing 50% of the time.
As someone who texts a lot and spends a lot of time on their phone the screen is never as clean as I would like it to be.
Sweat and moisture also contributes. So I can imagine the failing rate of Touch ID underneath the screen.

Reading these forums sometimes makes me feel like I'm the only one excited about Face ID.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
That doesn't even make any sense. If anything, the fingerprint layer could go on top of the 3D Touch layer which would provide the haptic response.

JoeyD74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2014
Touch ID never works for me, at work it’s either dirty hands or rubber gloves. I’d rather pick the phone up and have it unlock by face I’d if it works as advertised. I actually like the 3D Touch too, it’s very useful.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yes. I don't really use 3D touch to be honest. I never got into to the way it works. I could do without for sure.

I agree that iPhone can survive without 3D Touch. But if somebody truly wants to shortcut an application or have a quick glance at an email, message or photo, the peak and Pop feature works really well. It just makes it quicker and shorter process without having to open the whole application or document.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.