Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you like the iPad to receive a desktop environment and merge with macOS (à la Windows 8)?

• Yes.

Votes: 30 34.1%
  • No.

Votes: 58 65.9%

• Total voters

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2022
iPadOS and macOS could be combined through Launchpad. Launchpad is an application launcher that displays your Mac's applications into a grid, much like how your apps are displayed on iOS and iPadOS. What prevents Mac users from using Launchpad on their Mac like an iPad is that Macs don't have touchscreens. Once Macs receive touchscreens, Launchpad could launch your Mac apps by touch like you can on an iPad.

But imagine Launchpad on iPad! Imagine clicking Launchpad on your iPad's dock, and then the display of apps would disappear to reveal a macOS desktop environment. People have been complaining that iPadOS isn't powerful enough, and that macOS has stagnated.

The downside to this is that it would immediately draw comparisons to Windows 8. But as Linus Sebastian from Linus Tech Tips might say, that wouldn't be all bad. Is a desktop environment the upgrade the iPad needs to be the keyboardless computer of the future? Please vote in the poll and share your thoughts below.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
That's not what's missing for me on the iPad - I'm looking for better apps, e.g., a fully functional Office 365, fully functional Adobe Lightroom, a real DAM, etc.
Agreed here. The issue with the iPad is a lack of desktop-class apps (give me the PC version of zoom instead of the mobile app, for instance). If I wanted a desktop experience, that's what the Mac is for.

Reactions: Kal Madda

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Is a desktop environment the upgrade the iPad needs to be the keyboardless computer of the future? Please vote in the poll and share your thoughts below.

Desktop apps + no physical keyboard + no mouse/trackpad = major PITA

I welcome access to MacOS apps either via virtualization or a container like Stage Manager. However, that doesn’t change the fact that these apps were not designed for touchscreen use.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I’m in the camp of wanting a 2-in-1 MacBook that primarily runs MacOS with a largely untouched UI but capable of running iPadOS based apps natively in a unified app store so that I have the best of both worlds. Light apps based off of mobile platforms when workflows are light and desktop applications and desktop class file management for heavier workflows. I will only use the touchscreen and stylus part of the time. Such a device could sit as a separate premium version of MacBook next to the MacBook Pro line and MacOS could continue to be non-touchscreen based for the Air and Pro line.

Reactions: Tagbert

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I picked "No", but I think there's a middle-ground option that we're all missing here. And it seems to be one that Apple is taking at least the iPads that don't have "mini" in the name in that direction. (And, for what it's worth, I don't think the iPad mini needs to be any more than what it already is even if I don't necessarily feel that way about the larger iPads.)

No one needs an iPad to be a Mac. There is no benefit to that one.

However, at least the larger iPads could totally stand to have operating and UI features that a Mac has. Stage Manager is a horrible first example. But Apple is already giving M1 iPads (so basically current Air and the last few versions of iPad Pro) features that take it well beyond it just being a tablet running a phone's OS and that trend seems likely to continue. Otherwise, the A12X Bionic and A12Z Bionic in the 2018 and 2020 iPad Pros is still more than enough power to run iPadOS 16 more than comfortably. Giving the iPad Air and iPad Pro models the M-series SoCs is otherwise pointless unless that buys us something other than performance we already don't need. So, now M1 iPads can use external displays. The apps, are now able to be windowed. We have a Files app that is slowly becoming the Finder replacement we need it to be. We're getting there! It's just taking a while and Apple is making some questionable UI design decisions in iPadOS in the meantime.

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2022
I picked "No", but I think there's a middle-ground option that we're all missing here. And it seems to be one that Apple is taking at least the iPads that don't have "mini" in the name in that direction. (And, for what it's worth, I don't think the iPad mini needs to be any more than what it already is even if I don't necessarily feel that way about the larger iPads.)

No one needs an iPad to be a Mac. There is no benefit to that one.

However, at least the larger iPads could totally stand to have operating and UI features that a Mac has. Stage Manager is a horrible first example. But Apple is already giving M1 iPads (so basically current Air and the last few versions of iPad Pro) features that take it well beyond it just being a tablet running a phone's OS and that trend seems likely to continue. Otherwise, the A12X Bionic and A12Z Bionic in the 2018 and 2020 iPad Pros is still more than enough power to run iPadOS 16 more than comfortably. Giving the iPad Air and iPad Pro models the M-series SoCs is otherwise pointless unless that buys us something other than performance we already don't need. So, now M1 iPads can use external displays. The apps, are now able to be windowed. We have a Files app that is slowly becoming the Finder replacement we need it to be. We're getting there! It's just taking a while and Apple is making some questionable UI design decisions in iPadOS in the meantime.
So you would prefer a more gradual approach to developing iPadOS's capabilities? Anything on your wish list?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
So you would prefer a more gradual approach to developing iPadOS's capabilities? Anything on your wish list?
I think that user is all over the place... I think in the end, they want the iPad to stay as a traditional tablet no more no less.

But given this thread... Jason Snell had a similar thought below.

I've said before, one will replace the other eventually (that being the iPad and Mac)... its inevitable. And now that there is strong rumors of a touch screen Mac, then obviously it takes one of the biggest selling point of the iPad. But I believe Jason main point is Apple potential at a impasse with the MacBook.

Because at some point, the MacBook has to become more than what it is (a traditional laptop)... limited in angles whereas you see other brands that can flip their screen converting it to a tablet. And the iPad has more versatility compared to the MacBook, but its missing more functionality in terms of OS.

Reactions: Tagbert

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
About the only way I would ever pay the insanely high rumored $1500 starting price of the next iPad Pro would be if it had a mode where it could run macOS. As long as iPadOS remains kneecapped, even the current Pros are overpriced.
Back in 2010, the iPad launched at $500. And rumors were speculating that it would cost north of $1k. Now, the starting price of a iPad Pro is $800... I don't see the starting price reaching $1500 anytime soon.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I’m in the camp of wanting a 2-in-1 MacBook that primarily runs MacOS with a largely untouched UI but capable of running iPadOS based apps natively in a unified app store so that I have the best of both worlds. Light apps based off of mobile platforms when workflows are light and desktop applications and desktop class file management for heavier workflows. I will only use the touchscreen and stylus part of the time. Such a device could sit as a separate premium version of MacBook next to the MacBook Pro line and MacOS could continue to be non-touchscreen based for the Air and Pro line.
Apple has allowed for iPad apps on MacOS for several years, but developers have largely ignored that. A combination MacBook wont necessarily change that unless Apple forces them to.

Last edited:

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Apple has allowed for iPad apps on MacOS for several years, but developers have largely ignored that. A combination MacBook wont necessarily change that unless Apple forces them to.

Correct, and the app situation is also the fault of developers. How many times has Adobe appeared on stage to show off a new feature leveraging some hardware or new APIs and then that feature never actually ships? (spoiler: it's nearly all of the times)

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Correct, and the app situation is also the fault of developers. How many times has Adobe appeared on stage to show off a new feature leveraging some hardware or new APIs and then that feature never actually ships? (spoiler: it's nearly all of the times)
To be fair, developers would then have to test, troubleshoot, and qa their apps which can be expensive for smaller developers. Without doing that they are open to a bunch of negative reviews from people who think that if it can be used it should work without issue.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
To be fair, developers would then have to test, troubleshoot, and qa their apps which can be expensive for smaller developers. Without doing that they are open to a bunch of negative reviews from people who think that if it can be used it should work without issue.

The apps mentioned in this thread so far are not from small independent devs, it's Microsoft, Adobe, etc.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
iPadOS and macOS could be combined through Launchpad. Launchpad is an application launcher that displays your Mac's applications into a grid, much like how your apps are displayed on iOS and iPadOS. What prevents Mac users from using Launchpad on their Mac like an iPad is that Macs don't have touchscreens. Once Macs receive touchscreens, Launchpad could launch your Mac apps by touch like you can on an iPad.

But imagine Launchpad on iPad! Imagine clicking Launchpad on your iPad's dock, and then the display of apps would disappear to reveal a macOS desktop environment. People have been complaining that iPadOS isn't powerful enough, and that macOS has stagnated.
Yes, for the simple case that iPadOS is perfect for casual users, and instead of it being merged with macOS, an easy-to-access macOS-like environment (that supports mac apps) should be added so that more experienced/hardcore iPad users that actually take it seriously as a main computer can use it like one (and switch back to iPadOS if they want).

If this suggestion is just for an alternate way to access iPad apps, we already have like 4 ways to do that so I would retract my Yes.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Magic keyboard attached = Finder + windowing system.
Magic keyboard detached = Launchpad + full-screen apps only.
Yes, it would really be that easy.
Power users happy, casuals users unbothered.

• Love
Reactions: uller6 and 257Loner

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Don't we already have a windowing system? *pokes at Stage Manager*

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So what happens when the on-screen keyboard covers half of a full-screen app which hasn’t been optimized to account for an on-screen keyboard?
It’s never just “that easy.”

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I want a DEX-ification of iPadOS. To be able to tap a button and switch between tablet mode and a desktop mode... not a desktop OS, but an iPad OS mode that provides a desktop and overlapping windows, but still iPad OS.

It is a major thing that I miss by moving from a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 to an iPad. (a universally accessible filesystem and support for removable storage are close seconds).

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I want a DEX-ification of iPadOS. To be able to tap a button and switch between tablet mode and a desktop mode... not a desktop OS, but an iPad OS mode that provides a desktop and overlapping windows, but still iPad OS.

It is a major thing that I miss by moving from a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 to an iPad. (a universally accessible filesystem and support for removable storage are close seconds).
iPad OS supports removable storage. Here is platter USB-C drive I use with my MBP.
9DA637AE-ABB4-41BB-8CC5-DF1A69F96C4D.png

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2022
Yes, for the simple case that iPadOS is perfect for casual users, and instead of it being merged with macOS, an easy-to-access macOS-like environment (that supports mac apps) should be added so that more experienced/hardcore iPad users that actually take it seriously as a main computer can use it like one (and switch back to iPadOS if they want).

These are very interesting ideas! The iPad could receive a desktop environment that's not macOS! Just click Launchpad on the iPad's dock to hide away the screen of apps to reveal a desktop environment with a windowing system. It would be hard work on Apple's part to do this, but after hearing stories of people using their iPad as their only computer, like real estate agents, I think iPad power users deserve this.

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2022
Don't we already have a windowing system? *pokes at Stage Manager*

iPad OS supports removable storage. Here is platter USB-C drive I use with my MBP.
9DA637AE-ABB4-41BB-8CC5-DF1A69F96C4D.png
The iPad's potential has yet to be fully unlocked. Stage Manager and the Files app are steps in the right direction, but they're baby steps towards the keyboardless computer of the future. Apple should get to work on the iPad of the future's new operating system that will empower iPad users with a desktop environment. It might not need to merge with macOS, but software is the key to doing more with the iPad...

...plus gpat's brilliant detachable keyboard idea:

• Love
Reactions: gpat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.