Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you like the iPad to receive a desktop environment and merge with macOS (à la Windows 8)?

• Yes.

Votes: 30 34.1%
  • No.

Votes: 58 65.9%

• Total voters

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Oh, and one other thing, if you think about it, in iPadOS 15, Apple made it possible to port over macOS Safari extensions, and in iPadOS 16, Apple made it possible to port over macOS DriverKit apps. So technically Apple’s already making it possible to port over certain types of macOS apps.

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
That's not what's missing for me on the iPad - I'm looking for better apps, e.g., a fully functional Office 365, fully functional Adobe Lightroom, a real DAM, etc.
An iPad version of “Preview” would be nice. iPad/IOS versions of apps should be required to have same basic functionality as Mac/OS versions. i.e. Print, Share etc required to have same options in ALL versions (esp with 3rd party apps). Make “universal" apps really universal.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
An iPad version of “Preview” would be nice. iPad/IOS versions of apps should be required to have same basic functionality as Mac/OS versions. i.e. Print, Share etc required to have same options in ALL versions (esp with 3rd party apps). Make “universal" apps really universal.
I understand and agree with the latter part, but I have a question about Preview on iPad. Doesn’t that already exist within Files on iPadOS? Quick Look in Files gives me a pretty much identical interface to Previews on macOS. So I guess my question is what would be the inherit benefit of making a separate app for that functionality?

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Im quite sure, Apple dont care about our opinion.
They are forced to merge regular Mac with touch and thats only happening because their laptops are getting stale, aside from M1 "r-evolution" there isnt much they can wow market with and get stable income from their Mac division instead of it tanking year by year.
Competition doesnt sleep and when other players get close to Apple with their own ARM CPU's, Apple will be in deep problems, because lots of new customers got Macbooks only for stellar battery life and silent/fanless operation, that will end soon and Apple knows that.

• Haha
Reactions: Kal Madda

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Im quite sure, Apple dont care about our opinion.
They are forced to merge regular Mac with touch and thats only happening because their laptops are getting stale, aside from M1 "r-evolution" there isnt much they can wow market with and get stable income from their Mac division instead of it tanking year by year.
Competition doesnt sleep and when other players get close to Apple with their own ARM CPU's, Apple will be in deep problems, because lots of new customers got Macbooks only for stellar battery life and silent/fanless operation, that will end soon and Apple knows that.
The “competition” won’t be anywhere close to Apple Silicon anytime soon. The most powerful Snapdragon chips are getting beat up and drug by A-Series chips from a few years ago, lol! 😂🤣. Besides, the fact that record numbers of people are moving to the Mac is proof that the Mac isn’t “stale”, that’s just the talking points from a company that desperately wanted to get into mobile computing but couldn’t, so tried to slap a legacy OS into tablets, AKA Microsoft. iPadOS proves that Apple can provide the best of both worlds, a system that is designed for touch-first interaction on hybrid computers, and an OS that is optimized for desktop use. Windows is to compromised in to many areas to be an excellent option for either, instead, a compromise at the “common denominators”. Of course most of that is subjective opinion, but it’s one that seems to be pretty common, and one of the reasons that iPadOS and macOS are so successful.

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
I understand and agree with the latter part, but I have a question about Preview on iPad. Doesn’t that already exist within Files on iPadOS? Quick Look in Files gives me a pretty much identical interface to Previews on macOS. So I guess my question is what would be the inherit benefit of making a separate app for that functionality?
Yes and no. My point is that if your used to using “Preview” app for certain tasks in Mac/OS you should be able to perform same tasks using a “Preview” app on you iPad. Sure you could find substitutes lie you mentioned or like Adobe etc buy why should you have to?

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Yes and no. My point is that if your used to using “Preview” app for certain tasks in Mac/OS you should be able to perform same tasks using a “Preview” app on you iPad. Sure you could find substitutes lie you mentioned or like Adobe etc buy why should you have to?
Ok, I mean, I certainly wouldn’t oppose an Apple Preview app on iPad, I just was kind of confused because it seems like Quick Look in the Files app is a nice integrated option that doesn’t have to launch a separate app. It would probably make some people’s transition between the two easier though, so that’s good. 👍🏻

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2022
I don't think Apple would go through the trouble of adding touch-support to MacOS if they didn't also plan on having a MacConvertible or MacTablet in addition to Touchscreen MacBook.
Even if Apple makes a MacConvertible or MacTablet, Apple should still sell MacBooks. They're fine the way they are.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
The “competition” won’t be anywhere close to Apple Silicon anytime soon. The most powerful Snapdragon chips are getting beat up and drug by A-Series chips from a few years ago, lol! 😂🤣. Besides, the fact that record numbers of people are moving to the Mac is proof that the Mac isn’t “stale”, that’s just the talking points from a company that desperately wanted to get into mobile computing but couldn’t, so tried to slap a legacy OS into tablets, AKA Microsoft. iPadOS proves that Apple can provide the best of both worlds, a system that is designed for touch-first interaction on hybrid computers, and an OS that is optimized for desktop use. Windows is to compromised in to many areas to be an excellent option for either, instead, a compromise at the “common denominators”. Of course most of that is subjective opinion, but it’s one that seems to be pretty common, and one of the reasons that iPadOS and macOS are so successful.
I see, so thats why Mac sales are in stable decline over long term...

• Haha

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Magic keyboard attached = Finder + windowing system.
Magic keyboard detached = Launchpad + full-screen apps only.
Yes, it would really be that easy.
Power users happy, casuals users unbothered.
But what if you need the magic keyboard when using the iPad style apps? why enforce an arbitrary distinction?

I currently use my iPad in a keyboard case with a mouse 99% of the time.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Their overall sales were going down prior to M1 release.
They will go down again, when M-cpu novelty wears off and their prices keep on surging while competiton releases comparable(in real life at least, not necessarily in benchmarks) performance per watt and comparable battery life machines that run quiet.

• Haha

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I think that’s the inevitable evolution of the iPad. Morphing the iOS & MacOS into one device. But right now I’m just enjoying my 11” iPad Pro as it is. I’m an artist who travels a lot & ditched my MacBook for an iPad years ago. I haven’t looked back. I not only draw on my iPad using the Apple Pencil, I edit 4K video & photos on it, I surf the web on it, I write on it…I do everything I used to do on a laptop and MORE. I know it’s not for everyone, but for me it totally works as a laptop replacement. My only wish is that Apple would treat the iPad Pro as an actual PRO device and FINALLY release an iPad version of Final Cut Pro. I currently use an app called Luma Fusion which is great, but would love Apple to release their pro video editing app as well. The iPad Pro can definitely handle it.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I think that’s the inevitable evolution of the iPad. Morphing the iOS & MacOS into one device. But right now I’m just enjoying my 11” iPad Pro as it is. I’m an artist who travels a lot & ditched my MacBook for an iPad years ago. I haven’t looked back. I not only draw on my iPad using the Apple Pencil, I edit 4K video & photos on it, I surf the web on it, I write on it…I do everything I used to do on a laptop and MORE. I know it’s not for everyone, but for me it totally works as a laptop replacement. My only wish is that Apple would treat the iPad Pro as an actual PRO device and FINALLY release an iPad version of Final Cut Pro. I currently use an app called Luma Fusion which is great, but would love Apple to release their pro video editing app as well. The iPad Pro can definitely handle it.
Same here! I do still have an old MacBook, but I barely ever use it. I bought the M1 iPad Pro in late 2021 and ever since it’s become my primary computer! I do some design work on the side, and the iPad is the perfect device for that. Probably the only thing the Mac can do that the iPad can’t yet for me is Blender, though my current Mac doesn’t run Blender because the old intel graphics are probably not up to it. The thing I love about the iPad is its modularity in both hardware and software! You can have a pretty effective tablet, laptop, or desktop all with one device. Want a traditional mobile OS multitasking interface? Don’t flip Stage Manager on. Want a nice multi-windowing interface? Switch Stage Manager on! (Of course I know some people hate Stage Manager, but personally I love that it snaps to a grid and is cleaner). It’s really a very modular and adaptable computer, and I’m looking forward to seeing more desktop software ported over to it! 👍🏻

Global_traveler

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2020
For those with Mac and iPad, there’s a simple solution, which is Luna display. I can have it “on, and run my Mac from my iPad, or ”off” and just my iPad apps. All wireless at home, or just use the iPad as the screen for a Mac mini while traveling, with lightning to HDMI connection, powering Mac with a big Rav Power battery that has an a/c outlet. See it on you tube. It’s an elegant solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.