Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
Jelly bean is nice and smooth, but third party apps are not. Such as tapatalk's scrolling is still laggy/QUOTE]

No lag on the Nex7 or the S3. I just checked to be sure. Guess you must be referring to low end devices running JB? Oh wait, there aren't any. :rolleyes:

I have a galaxy nexus as my secondary phone. It has jb and it's smooth, but the third party apps are not as smooth as ios counterparts.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Show me 10 iOS apps with lag scrolling and i'll show you 1000 apps that has lag scrolling in android.

Sure. Give me an iphone 3gs on ios 5.1.1 and I'll show you thousands of laggy apps on ios. If you want to compare low end android phones, then do so against low end iphones.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I'm a bit confused here. I don't have any lag on any app on my SGS3 using ICS, in fact they open faster than my iPhone 4S did, scrolling through the screens the interface is at least equal to my now sold iPhone 4S.

boronathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
I'm a bit confused here. I don't have any lag on any app on my SGS3 using ICS, in fact they open faster than my iPhone 4S did, scrolling through the screens the interface is at least equal to my now sold iPhone 4S.

You'll see what they mean when you get jb, which is coming out the end of this month for the s3.

Some people are not as sensitive to the lag but it's definitely there in ics. Jb fixes all that though, and you'll definitely notice the difference.

(if there wasn't any lag in ics, we wouldn't have project butter...)...Google recognized the problem, attempted to fix it with jb, and succeeded.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
I switched to Android, and will never return to any mobile Apple products... If you guys want to see lag, I would highly encourage you to attempt to use an iPad 1 running iOS 5. I have extensively used Android 2.2, 4.0.4, and 4.1, and all are way smoother. My old 600mhz **apper LG on Android 2.2 even beat out my iPad 1 and iPod touch 4G, so really I'm not sure what you all are talking about. My new Nexus 7 is way faster than any mobile product I have ever used from any vender on any OS, including the forum favorite iPad 3 and iPhone 4S devices.

boronathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
I switched to Android, and will never return to any mobile Apple products... If you guys want to see lag, I would highly encourage you to attempt to use an iPad 1 running iOS 5. I have extensively used Android 2.2, 4.0.4, and 4.1, and all are way smoother. My old 600mhz **apper LG on Android 2.2 even beat out my iPad 1 and iPod touch 4G, so really I'm not sure what you all are talking about.

Android 2.2 is smoother then ios 5? Lol, didn't someone already make a post about ppl lying? Jb is probably smoother then ios, but you've gotta be kidding if you think froyo was. What phone were you running 2.2 on?

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Android 2.2 is smoother then ios 5? Lol, didn't someone already make a post about ppl lying? Jb is probably smoother then ios, but you've gotta be kidding if you think froyo was. What phone were you running 2.2 on?
My pathetic LG Optimus V which runs at 600mhz. Really, I put that next to my iPad 1, and did simple tasks such as opening the Internet, loading the same site, scrolling threw menus, etc, and the Optimus almost always won. Considering the optimus overall won, and the iPad 1 is faster at 1ghz, I would say 2.2 ended up being faster.

boronathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
My pathetic LG Optimus V which runs at 600mhz. Really, I put that next to my iPad 1, and did simple tasks such as opening the Internet, loading the same site, scrolling threw menus, etc, and the Optimus almost always won. Considering the optimus overall won, and the iPad 1 is faster at 1ghz, I would say 2.2 ended up being faster.

I'll just take your at your word, as i can't really prove you wrong. hard one to swallow though, froyo was a laggy mess

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
You'll see what they mean when you get jb, which is coming out the end of this month for the s3.

Some people are not as sensitive to the lag but it's definitely there in ics. Jb fixes all that though, and you'll definitely notice the difference.

(if there wasn't any lag in ics, we wouldn't have project butter...)...Google recognized the problem, attempted to fix it with jb, and succeeded.

Thank you for your answer, It may be that I don't know what I am missing and will notice the difference once I get JB. I dont notice any discernible difference between my S3 and 4S though.

Thank you once again for your answer,:D

boronathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
Thank you for your answer, It may be that I don't know what I am missing and will notice the difference once I get JB. I dont notice any discernible difference between my S3 and 4S though.

Thank you once again for your answer,:D

No problem, I'm probably just overly sensitive to lag but i definitely noticed it in ics. In jb, there is none (at least not yet). Google did an amazing job, and you'll agree once you get out, trust me :)

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
I'll just take your at your word, as i can't really prove you wrong. hard one to swallow though, froyo was a laggy mess
I don't think it was froyo that was the issue. The Optimus V pretty much had a stock build of 2.2 from the factory. There were no UI overlays or skins, and LG didn't really mess with anything software wise. I have seen some devices run froyo poorly though, all of which I can remember had some sort of vender customization added in. Perhaps those were causing issues? What really killed iOS 5 for my devices, making them run terrible, was the decision to only include 256MB of RAM. My $70 OpV even had 512MB RAM... If you have ever upgraded RAM on your computer, you will know how important it is to the systems overall speed and responsiveness.

Last edited:

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
It's really hard to believe this post because I have 2 of the phones in question. Matter of fact, even my HTC Inspire 4G is much more smoother than my iPhone 4 currently running iOS 5.1.1

As for the iPhone 4 loading pages faster than the HOX on LTE, that's just straight up laughable. Unless you live In a poor lte area and even then it's suspect. I pull upwards of 45Mbps down on my One X in the Houston area and it's unbelievably fast.

I get that you might not like android but please stop lying.

Why would I lie? To make iPhone look good and Android to look bad? :rolleyes: Please. I dont care, but the question was presented as would I switch to android if I could have my apps transfered and gave my reasons why I would not.

And no, I dont live in a bad LTE area, if I do a speed test I get 30mb/s down on my One X and only 2-3mb/s down on my iPhone 4, but when I'm surfing the web, my iPhone still loads pages faster and are smoother when you scroll around in them than my One X using chrome.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Show me 10 iOS apps with lag scrolling and i'll show you 1000 apps that has lag scrolling in android.

Why would I waste my time doing that? The point was it was the apps fault, not the OS's.

Of course tapatalk doesn't lag when scrolling on iOS. Tapatalk locks out ALL user input (scrolling) when its loading. Is it surprising it doesn't lag when scrolling and loading when it can't do that in iOS?

Did you not know iOS picks loading OR user input. Go to safari (or any browser), go to a busy web page. Then before its done loading start scrolling up and down without lifting your finger, the page won't load until your done. Should be obvious why an OS that's not even multitasking in the foreground is less laggy then an OS that will do user input plus loading, hell it will do user input and load a web page even if the browser is in the BACKGROUND.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
Why would I waste my time doing that? The point was it was the apps fault, not the OS's.

Of course tapatalk doesn't lag when scrolling on iOS. Tapatalk locks out ALL user input (scrolling) when its loading. Is it surprising it doesn't lag when scrolling and loading when it can't do that in iOS?

Did you not know iOS picks loading OR user input. Go to safari (or any browser), go to a busy web page. Then before its done loading start scrolling up and down without lifting your finger, the page won't load until your done. Should be obvious why an OS that's not even multitasking in the foreground is less laggy then an OS that will do user input plus loading, hell it will do user input and load a web page even if the browser is in the BACKGROUND.

I just tried loading engadget in safari. i could scroll like crazy while it's not finished loading. So you miss your point. Even if i couldn't, why do u need to scroll when the web is still loading? Are u in hurry? Loading website doesn't take like hours to complete anyway.

And about multitasking. Ios is the best on this because it suspended the apps so better battery life, when in my galaxy nexus (jb) it takes me a swipe here and there to remove the apps to make sure it's not running in the background to save battery life. Do u really need everything running in the background for every apps that makes the battery life short? Ios's multitasking is genius from my point of view. It runs in the background for apps that really need to run in the background like mail, music streaming app, etc etc but why would i need twitter to run in the background? Push notification is the way to go without draining battery life and slowing system performance by running apps in the background.

I do like some stuff about android like u can use torrent, change keyboard like swype, downloading files from the internet. But other than that i believe ios is superior for me.

boronathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
I just tried loading engadget in safari. i could scroll like crazy while it's not finished loading. So you miss your point. Even if i couldn't, why do u need to scroll when the web is still loading? Are u in hurry? Loading website doesn't take like hours to complete anyway.

And about multitasking. Ios is the best on this because it suspended the apps so better battery life, when in my galaxy nexus (jb) it takes me a swipe here and there to remove the apps to make sure it's not running in the background to save battery life. Do u really need everything running in the background for every apps that makes the battery life short? Ios's multitasking is genius from my point of view. It runs in the background for apps that really need to run in the background like mail, music streaming app, etc etc but why would i need twitter to run in the background? Push notification is the way to go without draining battery life and slowing system performance by running apps in the background.

I do like some stuff about android like u can use torrent, change keyboard like swype, downloading files from the internet. But other than that i believe ios is superior for me.

These are good points. On my galaxy nexus, i do get poor battery life but I'm willing to sacrifice that for the smoothness of jb (I'm always near an outlet).

I think the battery life issue is beginning to be solved now though, because oems are putting huge batteries in their phones.

Android has finally arrived as far as usability, imo.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
yep, defenetly for phones. I actually trying to install android on my not iphone not android current phone.

People who says android sucks are dumb asses who dont do research. Android is very good, simply not as good as iOS, but is defenetly already great for most users.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

It's a known fact iOS prioritizes the UI, safari won't load. It's been this way since the start. And yes, sometimes I don't need the entire web page to load before I start scrolling. I don't need to read every ad.

iOS is better at multitasking because it suspends task? Aka the opposite of multitasking? If I'm in a low signal area I don't want to wait for a web page to load while I stare at it, I have better things to be doing with my time. For example, I'm researching Mac's in safari right now but I can't let the web pages load while I'm reading on here or composing an email.

I'm not debating what's better. I find the pro's of iOS to outweigh the con's. Which is the reason I use it. However I'd take a slight lag in the UI vs virtually no multitasking which was my point. Now with JB I'm sold on the idea of real multitasking with smooth operation. I will admit its still not AS smooth but more the sufficient.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Why would I lie? To make iPhone look good and Android to look bad? :rolleyes: Please. I dont care, but the question was presented as would I switch to android if I could have my apps transfered and gave my reasons why I would not.

And no, I dont live in a bad LTE area, if I do a speed test I get 30mb/s down on my One X and only 2-3mb/s down on my iPhone 4, but when I'm surfing the web, my iPhone still loads pages faster and are smoother when you scroll around in them than my One X using chrome.

Sorry, I'm calling bs, I've personally ran performance tests with both devices side by side and it isn't even close.

demi82

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
hey guys, don't know where to post.. Do you know kind of network-based communication service? I've heard about that one, do you know that?

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
It's a known fact iOS prioritizes the UI, safari won't load. It's been this way since the start. And yes, sometimes I don't need the entire web page to load before I start scrolling. I don't need to read every ad.

iOS is better at multitasking because it suspends task? Aka the opposite of multitasking? If I'm in a low signal area I don't want to wait for a web page to load while I stare at it, I have better things to be doing with my time. For example, I'm researching Mac's in safari right now but I can't let the web pages load while I'm reading on here or composing an email.

I'm not debating what's better. I find the pro's of iOS to outweigh the con's. Which is the reason I use it. However I'd take a slight lag in the UI vs virtually no multitasking which was my point. Now with JB I'm sold on the idea of real multitasking with smooth operation. I will admit its still not AS smooth but more the sufficient.

No. I just tried it again. On safari, typed pocketgamer.co.uk hit go. Then i quickly switched to mail. Wait for couple of seconds. Back to safari, pocketgamer done loading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.