Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
If you could transfer your iOS purchases to google play? I have invested a lot in ios as far as apps go.

I saw one of the new android phones an it looks amazing. I won't go android however because I'd be paying again for my apps.

Yes.

----------

Facebook is laggy as hell on iOS. Just sayin'.

That's the app not the actual OS.

But to be fair, Jellybean 'Project Butter' is up to par with what iPhone has.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
No. I just tried it again. On safari, typed pocketgamer.co.uk hit go. Then i quickly switched to mail. Wait for couple of seconds. Back to safari, pocketgamer done loading.

I believe you get 10 seconds before the app is suspended. If I have an Internet connection that good I don't mind just waiting for it. If I'm on 3G (Verizon) in a questionable area it could take a lot more time then that, then I'll sometimes notice it tries to reload the whole page on occasion.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
I believe you get 10 seconds before the app is suspended. If I have an Internet connection that good I don't mind just waiting for it. If I'm on 3G (Verizon) in a questionable area it could take a lot more time then that, then I'll sometimes notice it tries to reload the whole page on occasion.

Yup. That's what i hate about ios devices. Safari refreshing after u open couple of other apps because the 512mb ram.

my galaxy nexus doesnt do it, because it has 1gb of ram. But i still preder ios multitasking because not every apps i open that i want it to be open all the time that i have to swipe swipe in the task manager. Would be cool of there is a setting for android to choose which app will still open if i close it. Is there any?

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
But i still preder ios multitasking because not every apps i open that i want it to be open all the time that i have to swipe swipe in the task manager. Would be cool of there is a setting for android to choose which app will still open if i close it. Is there any?

This has been going around as long as Android has been around. You don't need to manage processes on Android, it does it intelligently and much better than you or I ever could.

The only time I ever manually kill apps is if they are ones which run a service in the background which I know is going to chew battery and these types of apps almost always have an exit function.

boronathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
This has been going around as long as Android has been around. You don't need to manage processes on Android, it does it intelligently and much better than you or I ever could.

The only time I ever manually kill apps is if they are ones which run a service in the background which I know is going to chew battery and these types of apps almost always have an exit function.

It does it now because of extra memory in these phones. Android absolutely did not manage tasks efficiently in the Motorola Droid days. Everyone links to some Google developer who said task managers aren't needed and just took his word as gold. Sometimes ignoring what they were seeing just because Google said so.

Task managers helped a lot back in the day. Android task management is not efficient or intuitive. Redraws, app shutdowns, and getting kicked back to the homescreen was a common occurrence back then. We don't need task managers now, and that's not because Android task manager had improved but because we have 1gb of memory or more in these phones.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
A lot of my apps don't exist on Google Play. So it simpy wouldn't work

As that may be true with some people depending what they use, I personally have not had this problem.
Also due to the way Android OS works allot of apps are not needed like GoodReader comes to mind or any such sort of file sandbox app.

Thus far I have found most of what I need and for the most part they where free or loads cheaper then the iOS versions.
I have quite a few apps for iOS that I collected over the years and can use most of them on my iPad 3.

But I would not let this stop me from switching to another OS if the need arises and would really research the apps I need or think I need before dismissing it as a viable solution to my needs, just like I never let the iOS restrictions stop me from what I needed to do be it via a work around or jailbreaking my devices to get things done.

Just saying don't rush to conclusions so fast.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
It does it now because of extra memory in these phones. Android absolutely did not manage tasks efficiently in the Motorola Droid days. Everyone links to some Google developer who said task managers aren't needed and just took his word as gold. Sometimes ignoring what they were seeing just because Google said so.

Task managers helped a lot back in the day. Android task management is not efficient or intuitive. Redraws, app shutdowns, and getting kicked back to the homescreen was a common occurrence back then. We don't need task managers now, and that's not because Android task manager had improved but because we have 1gb of memory or more in these phones.

Yes 1gb of ram helps. But all apps running mean less battery life. I got better battery life in my galnex when i remove apps after i finish use it.

Btw, does android have a google reader as nice as reeder in ios. Never found one that is nice, so big screen of the galnex is useless since the operation of the app is not as polished as in ios. It's much more joy to use apps in ios than in android.

boronathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
Yes 1gb of ram helps. But all apps running mean less battery life. I got better battery life in my galnex when i remove apps after i finish use it.

Btw, does android have a google reader as nice as reeder in ios. Never found one that is nice, so big screen of the galnex is useless since the operation of the app is not as polished as in ios. It's much more joy to use apps in ios than in android.

I've actually just been going to the mobile site: http://www.google.com/reader/i/

I heard newsrob was good but never used it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.