Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Bring. Back. Real. Keynotes!
so we can spend half the time hearing the audience cheer about things in the most insular fashion?

I love Apple, and I love classic-era keynotes. those days are long gone. they don’t hire people with the same kind of stage presence as they used to—not like that should be a prerequisite for working at a tech company, Apple just used to have some very colorful folks (Steve, Phil, and Scott come to mind as the golden trio) introducing stuff. people at today’s Apple do much better announcing this stuff in a rehearsed fashion, without the audience constantly interrupting them with all the tenacity of NFL fans in a stadium. in a world where everything moves faster than it should and I’ve got things I need to do with my time, it’s nice that this has made them a fair bit shorter. forever shoutout to whoever made the point on this forum some time ago that Nintendo had the right idea for years with their Directs, and this can be seen as a rare instance of Apple simply following suit.

also spares us any awkward silences over ridiculously-priced display stands, as memeable as those moments are…oh Ternus

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Ironic that since covid, Apple is trying to make its employees return to work. However, the top management got rather used to not having people attend live events and seem now to want to continue to avoid the hassle.

Not really ironic when consider that WWDC used to drag a giant herd of Apple workers away from work and off to the remote convention center for about a whole work week. Then there is all the prep time to rehearse the stage show. staging. etc. etc. 'Film and edit' sessions versus 'rehearse and travel'. Pretty good chance they are saving time here outside the top level executive level also.

The reality was that largely "lotto ticket invite only" didn't scale. Apple had 1-2 orders more magnitude developers than they had slots at the singular convention. As a hand out 'perks' and 'serve the entitled/privledged' (some always got invites) process it worked. But it wasn't democratic across the majority of the user base and added to slower dissemination of info (they would hold back video footage to help justify why some were paying over $1K to be there. )

What is more 'ironic' is workers who complain about commutes to work , who are super eager to commute to a convention hall ( which almost certainly isn't near their home either. ) because it really isn't work and substantially more 'party'.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Sad to see that in-person events are dead, just like Apple’s innovation department.
No Apple in-person events are dead. Must be some major looney toon people running the events department. Of course nobody goes to San Francisco Moscone area anymore for events because it is a cess pool homeless camp; so they would need to find another venue, San Diego is nice that time of year.

phalseHUD

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Digital Sprawl
FFS! Is Apple still using the COVID plandemic as some nonsense excuse for not returning to a full in-person event?!

Old format was much better, natural and normal. These grinning, woke, virtue signalling productions of recent years are sterile and banal.

Get things back to normal!

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I'm really surprised people want to bring back live events. The WWDC 2023 keynote was already over 2 hours, can you imagine how long it would be if people were reacting to every little thing? I'm busy, I don't need it to be drawn out.

It’s only two hours because half the time is spent on some fly over scenes and a new room being shown with yet another person „walking in“.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
I'm sick of these slickly produced infomercials he's been foisting on us the last few years. We all know why too. He's absolutely horrible at inpromptu/improvisational speaking. His cringe U2 finger tapping being a key example.

Nobody can be Steve Jobs but he at least made you believe that what he was demoing was the greatest thing ever. He made you believe in the product. He'd spend the time showing you the ins and outs of a product. He would actually DEMONSTRATE a product or service.

Tim Cook does nothing but drone on endlessly until it's time for him to pass the baton - usually after he throws out a few numbers. He never demonstrates a product. He never demonstrates a service.

Tim Cook is pathetic.

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
I really hope that the new iPads are announced / released way before WWDC. There has been a lot of talk of a March-April release, so much so that I have sold my iPP 12.9 (2020) and my partners iPP 11 (2018) and all peripherals and am now sans iPad until the new models are released. I have a MBP 16 to use but it feels foreign for my day-to-day consumption. Really hoping we don't have to wait three months for the new iPads!

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Ironic that since covid, Apple is trying to make its employees return to work. However, the top management got rather used to not having people attend live events and seem now to want to continue to avoid the hassle.

This is 100% spot on as the reason. There are some people who end up in leadership roles that do not completely relish in the art of doing presentations. This article hit the nail on the head when they used the analogy of how Steve approached a presentation like a musician or actor did their craft. As the article pointed out Steve himself despite being a master of presentations had to put in serious effort and could even get nerves. For someone like Tim? He probably hated that pressure.

Tim was forced to do a large portion the presentations early on after Steve died in order to maintain the flow of things but as time passed things changed as he started to pass off these live presentations to his many executives. Now as you said, Covid gave him the perfect excuse to make this as easy as possible with prerecording a bunch of rotating faceless executives.

It is hilarious this dude has the audacity to make the work from home comments when he himself isn't performing his figurehead role for the events while making insane money being the CEO of one of the most biggest companies on the planet and he's still using the covid model. Steve was doing this months before his death frail as a rail.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
It’s truly a shame the Steve Jobs theater was torn down. It was a nice tribute to him and hosted some cool events. No need to dwell on the past I suppose. RIP Steve. Sorry about the theater.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.