Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
In an anonymous post to Craig's List, one participant claims:

On June 28th, 2004, expect some very big changes in the Powerbook line up!
For now, all I can say is the entry level 12" Powerbook G5 will be at 1.6Ghz 12" --High end will
have a new G5 processor capable of speeds upto 2.2Ghz. One last thing, the memory on all models will
max. @ 4Gb. So keep a close eye and hold off on any big Laptop purchases, because the event we have been waiting for has arrived.

Expect the unexpected.

Obviously anonymous mailing list posts lack much credibility.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Looks like the world-supply of socks is going down.... :p

If this turns out to be true, expect me to be first in line to get a 15" top-end!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Page 9 From Outer Space?

Macrumors said:
Obviously anonymous mailing list posts lack much credibility.

Much? Any.

For now, all I can say is... No. :)

I think even Page 2 is too good for this one. I suggest Page 3 or beyond.

Now... go ahead and speculate about PBG5s because real or not, that's just good fun! :)

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
boomtopper said:
Sounds like complete and utter bull plop to me.
I just can't see the powerbooks being upgraded yet becuase they have been just upgraded!

Second that as well. I see noooo way that they update the Powerbooks now. Did they ever do that ? Update in such a short time ? I don't think so.

I guess we see the PB G5 in January.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
We can dream on, but with the latest rumours about the difficulty of getting new G5s into even Power Macs I'm doubting this one very much.

1.6GHz 12" would be cool mind..

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
No. I don't believe it.
However, I have 2 questions:

1) When were the Powerbooks last updated? 5 or 6 weeks ago?
2) What is the shortest length of time in Apple history between major updates?

Anyone know?

Squire

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Squire said:
1) When were the Powerbooks last updated? 5 or 6 weeks ago?

See https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Last update: 44 days ago
Average time between updates: 171 days
Shortest time between: 60+ days, BUT that was to add two new sizes--the 15" did not change
The shortest time since then--the shortest time for updating all 3 sizes, is 7 months! It was 8 months before that.

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
I don't beleive it at all. After buy my NEW powerbook less than a month ago. I would be very angry if they updated to G5 now.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
nagromme said:

Shortest time between: 60+ days, BUT that was to add two new sizes--the 15" did not change
The shortest time since then--the shortest time for updating all 3 sizes, is 7 months! It was 8 months before that.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about the good ol' buyer's guide. So 44 days plus another 26 days. So even at 70 days, it would be the quickest update by far.

Squire

ks23

macrumors member
May 6, 2004
Squire said:

Anyone know?

Squire

AFAIK iBooks 4 month.

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
All I know is ---

they came out with a SuperDrive TiBook in November/December of 2002, and then the Al Books (12" and 17") came out in January 2003, one month later

soooo...... such things have happened before

NEVER EVER make apple predictions based upon typical product cycle updates ---- especially when the product is transitioning into a major piece of new hardware/processor, etc

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
nagromme said:

...and that pretty much states the obvious: LET'S FORGET ABOUT THE PBG5 FOR A WHILE -- FOR GOOD!

* this doesn't mean it wouldn't be a kick ass announcement, even if they weren't available until september

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
this means new powermacs right?

(little getting my own back for all you people posting about pbg5's in every forum)

also the teams developing the g5 powerbook and the team developing the recently updated g4 powerbook are different teams they may very well have had a breakthrough with maybe the 975 or getting good yields of the 970fx?

if the pbg5 team finished early steve jobs is not exactly going to say "oh no we cant release those it would piss off all the people that bought the 1.5GHz g4 powerbooks". if it's ready it will be released, not that i think they are ready especially not at 2.2GHz

Akira

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2002
The Netherlands
Even if it were true that they'd announce (not ship, duh) a Powerbook G5 at WWDC, I sincerely doubt that they would have a 2.2 GHz at the high end.

AT71

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2003
HasanDaddy said:
All I know is ---

they came out with a SuperDrive TiBook in November/December of 2002, and then the Al Books (12" and 17") came out in January 2003, one month later

soooo...... such things have happened before

NEVER EVER make apple predictions based upon typical product cycle updates ---- especially when the product is transitioning into a major piece of new hardware/processor, etc

Thank goodness, I waited for two months then. The shortest revamp of the PowerBook line in Apple's history I think. Although the 17PB came 3 months later.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
I don't think it's coming out at WWDC...but it would be an answer to where all of the PowerPC 970 chips have been disappearing...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
That's not a fair time comparison: the existing PowerBook did NOT changein Jan 03--Apple just added two NEW sizes. Adding sizes makes sense to happen at any time. Changing an EXISTING product is another matter.

Past cycles aren't a basis for knowing the future with certainty. But they ARE a very GOOD way to make an educated guess.

A LOT more reliable way than the words of some anonymous prankster :) Especially when past cycles are far from the only evidence that PBG5s are a long way off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.