Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gian

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2004
drsuse said:
that's cool. doesn't tell us when they'll be released though.

Well, it should mean that the new Powerbook G5 will come out before Tiger is ready otherwise there would be no reason for the new specs in 10.3.5.
Since Tiger will come out at the beginning of next year I would then argue that the new Powerbook G5 will come out in the period from now until Xmas.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
gian said:
Well, it should mean that the new Powerbook G5 will come out before Tiger is ready otherwise there would be no reason for the new specs in 10.3.5.

Not necessarily - what if someone decides not to upgrade to Tiger? Some Mac users will be using Panther for the next couple of years, I'm sure, so Panther needs some sort of provisions for the future PowerBooks regardless of their release date, does it not? If Apple didn't build these new PBs into the code of 10.3.5, that would essentially imply that Tiger going to be a prerequisite for a G5 PowerBook, and that doesn't make much sense... So although this is good to see, and necessary in my mind, I don't think it indicates anything for certain.

gian said:
Since Tiger will come out at the beginning of next year I would then argue that the new Powerbook G5 will come out in the period from now until Xmas.

Now and Xmas 2005... :p ;)

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
~Shard~ said:
Not necessarily - what if someone decides not to upgrade to Tiger? Some Mac users will be using Panther for the next couple of years, I'm sure, so Panther needs some sort of provisions for the ....

Wrong logic ! If the G5 powerbook ships with Tiger then you have to use it. I don't see that you can downgrade to Panther. Or in other words: the G5 powerbook will start shipping with Panther, because Tiger is not ready.

aidamahn

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2004
Syracuse, NY
jefhatfield said:
i also love my rev a ibook and its curves

when the new ibook, square and pc like, replaced the curvy ibook, i was not happy...but specs-wise, i was excited at the time of a 500 mhz laptop/firewire/dual usb which weighed only 4.9 lbs but was still durable

and now with a decent video card and a G4 processor, the ibook is very pro level and a steal at 1099

ha, didn't see you post till now. i have one of the later ibooks with a dvd-rom and firewire, so i'm set for awhile. i really only do aim, email, word, and some light java/php coding on my ibook... 800x600 screen seams to be the only downside for me. if i need screen size and power i have my g4's and will have a 2.5ghz g5 soon.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
CmdrLaForge said:
Wrong logic ! If the G5 powerbook ships with Tiger then you have to use it. I don't see that you can downgrade to Panther. Or in other words: the G5 powerbook will start shipping with Panther, because Tiger is not ready.

Fair enough, I agree with your logic. :cool: I still say you won't have your G5 PowerBook in your hands until next summer/fall though. But, I've hashed this to death already, no need to keep re-stating things. ;)

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
~Shard~ said:
Fair enough, I agree with your logic. :cool: I still say you won't have your G5 PowerBook in your hands until next summer/fall though. But, I've hashed this to death already, no need to keep re-stating things. ;)

I would be really happy with a dual G4 2GHz Powerbook as well :D
Freescale - Motorola's soon-to-be-spun-off chip division - and AMD are set to detail their respective dual-core processor designs this autumn.
G4 dual core

gian

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2004
CmdrLaForge said:
I would be really happy with a dual G4 2GHz Powerbook as well :D G4 dual core

I Just read the same rumor on the identification of the Powerbook7,x with dual G4 powerbooks on a german rumor site :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.