Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Social media platform X (formerly Twitter) will soon begin charging new users "a small fee" for posting content and liking, replying, and bookmarking tweets, according to CEO Elon Musk.
Charging people for access to the "de facto town square".... Wouldn't that fundamentally undermine democracy for those who do not or cannot pay the fees?

Musk.png

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
I'll be honest, if social media had adopted a different business model based on contributing members, rather than data harvesting, ads and trackers, we'd all be better off.

But it's too late now. It's ads and fees from here on out. I'm not trying to be edgy, but I've quit most of it. It's just not fun anymore.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
So could you set up like a thousand accounts today, then when it gets put in place sell them accounts to allow instant postings as long as it’s cheaper than the subscription seems like a nice easy money maker haha

Reactions: Someyoungguy

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
As bad as this arrangement sounds it is one way to combat bot nets. Changes the financial dynamic and incentive certain large bot nets would have to engage on the network. It definitely sucks and isn’t “ideal” but maybe it will result in further refinement of engagement. Idk. It’s been a mess for so long. Smh

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Elon has mastered the art of death by a thousand cuts.
And he's admitted so too.

Elsewhere in the deposition, Musk criticized the mainstream media and “so-called misinformation experts” and insisted that X has better ways of ensuring accuracy. In particular, he praised the platform’s Community Notes feature as “the best system on the internet” when it comes to fact-checking. Yet Musk has at times taken issue with Community Notes on his own tweets, and though he tagged Community Notes in his post endorsing the erroneous “false flag” claims about the Oregon melee, the post has never received a correction. Musk conceded that there’s always “some risk that what I say is incorrect,” but said this had to be balanced against “a chilling effect on free speech in general, which would undermine the entire foundation of our democracy.”

At times, Musk was forced to wrestle with his own reckless actions as the owner and prime influencer of X. “I may have done more to financially impair the company than to help it,” he told Bankston in one exchange, adding, “I do not guide my posts by what is financially beneficial but what I believe is interesting or important or entertaining to the public.”

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
As bad as this arrangement sounds it is one way to combat bot nets. Changes the financial dynamic and incentive certain large bot nets would have to engage on the network. It definitely sucks and isn’t “ideal” but maybe it will result in further refinement of engagement. Idk.
So, so much existing spam on Twitter already comes from "verified" accounts. That's much more expensive than a buck a year.

It’s been a mess for so long. Smh
It is so much worse now than it was a year ago, and that itself is worse than it was a year prior. If my field weren't still heavily on Twitter, I'd have long since ditched it.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
What's wild to me is that despite all of Musk's questionable decisions, none of Twitter's competitors seem to have caught up.

Like I really thought Threads would be a serious competitor to Twitter by now, but so far, I only know a few friends who use Threads, maybe one distant acquaintance who uses Bluesky, and I don't personally know anyone on Mastodon.

But Twitter? I know so many people who still use Twitter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.