Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryanhalpin

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
It's not about the money of course, it's about you having to give your credit card info to yet another service just to post some silly tweet.
I would much rather use a service, that I need to put a credit card down to prove i'ma human rather than trudge through bot responses to tweets.

Reactions: staypuftforums

Vulkan

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Useless, TX
That is going to be the death nail on X. IF they charge new users for dumb things like that, they are going to lose a ton of audience.

MNWildFan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Elon has mastered the art of death by a thousand cuts.
Yeah, you've got that right

First charging $1/yr to try to curb bots off the platform, and now this

Man how I miss the old Twitter; and because of that, I haven't touched it since Musk took over with all of this nonsense

JuBe

macrumors regular
May 28, 2009
there really shouldn't be any pushback or negative comments regarding this. I think it's a good idea. it's not even a big deal about a possible $1 fee per year for new users or wait 3 months if you don't want to be able to post. I highly doubt people are going to go off twitter, because of a $1 fee a year for new users. This doesn't even affect current users.
The 3-month waiting period for what is supposed to be a constant stream of information will definitely affect users.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I recently joined X and I joined in on debates etc but mainly just found myself talking to myself with getting the odd few likes so I've lost interest and just deleted the app.

I must admit, I found it was making me angry with the various news stories seemingly pushed towards me to get a reaction. I've also deleted the apps for Facebook & Instagram and feel way better for it.

I think he will lose a lot of customers charging a fee and it will probably do those people the world of good!
He's probably just trying anything to raise his compensation. I always wonder how medicated he is when he makes his decisions.

I just took a look at the app. I seem to have about the same number of followers as I had before the buyout, although it's down from the time of the pandemic. It's not likely that the group I know is posting that much now because it's almost impossible to see through the crap.

Gone are the days when I just followed a few companies for updates on products.

The new user fee will push away anyone who is on the fence about joining. If they can't deal with the change of prices since the pandemic, they're not likely to pay a fee to join X.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
people complain about x and its owner, yet they continue to use the site to "defend democracy", when in reality the rest of the alternatives are a pile of steaming poo.

truthsteve

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
Yeah, you've got that right

First charging $1/yr to try to curb bots off the platform, and now this

Man how I miss the old Twitter; and because of that, I haven't touched it since Musk took over with all of this nonsense
yeah I'm sure Twitter was flushed with cash and doing so well before Elon took over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.