Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Remember when you got charged for texting?

Honestly, I would love to see this happen, maybe it will curtail people's habits of posting non-stop garbage throughout the day.
Two UK organisations (council and local health organisation) have recently said that they are going to stop sending SMS messages and use email only on grounds of cost.

I currently get a reminder about which bins to put out each week (which is helpful) and about a local bridge which gets closed from time to time usually die to high winds. As well as appointments.

I imagine they are paying a bulk sending rate for SMS - not unlimited bundled many of us have. (Whatever my package actually says, it is in practical terms unlimited - I'd never reach the sort of number that is included.)

I know I can switch to reading emails, but SMS is actually much better when I am out and about.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Honestly though.. I wont get 200 new followers per day that are all bots... And that can only be a good thing.
I'm not aware that I get bot followers - at all!

I always check the profile when someone follows me. Might have made the odd mistake, might have had one or two, but I get so few that it would be easy to spot multiple bots!

Perhaps my posts are so fundamentally boring not even a bot is interested... :)

Reactions: heywally

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Musk has destroyed Twitter. Not only is there an advertisement every 5 post, now you have to pay for each post? Goodbye.
I'm waiting to be told I can't use twitter because I use an ad blocker on that site.

When I view on another device, it is truly awful not only in number of ads but they are often so long each one is a full screenful or so.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

Baumi

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
I must admit, I found it was making me angry with the various news stories seemingly pushed towards me to get a reaction.
That’s pretty much what “engagement driven” algorithms end up doing: People tend to be more vocal about and focused on things that upset them, so any platform that values user engagement above all else tends to end up serving people lots of stuff specifically tailored to make them angry.

heywally

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2013

Social media platform X (formerly Twitter) will soon begin charging new users "a small fee" for posting content and liking, replying, and bookmarking tweets, according to Elon Musk.

X-twitter-logo.jpg

X Daily News, a feed that posts X updates, today noticed that text strings on the website have been updated to mention a small annual fee that new users will need to pay in order to access the social network.

Musk said in response that the fee for new users is "the only way to curb the relentless onslaught of bots."

The fee has previously been tested in New Zealand and the Philippines, and Musk says that it is applicable only to those who are new to Twitter. When a new user signs up, the user will need to pay the fee, or wait for three months to be able to engage on the network. The updated language on the Twitter site:

The text does not mention being able to post for free after three months, but Musk confirmed that "write actions" would be free after that time period.

It is unclear how the policy will stop spam accounts and bots, as spammers will be able to pay the fee or simply create multiple accounts and wait to be able to post. Regular users, meanwhile, could be discouraged from using X due to the extra step and the fact that other social networks are free.

The fee appears to be around $1, as it costs $1.75 NZD in New Zealand. The pay-for-access policy has not yet been implemented outside of New Zealand and the Philippines.

Musk said that fake accounts also use up "the available namespace" limiting the "good handles." X has freed up over a million usernames so far, and will "free up tens of millions in the coming weeks."

Article Link: X May Charge New Users a 'Small Fee' to Post, Like and Reply
Already avoiding “X” because of Musk’s journey into right wing extremism and the rest of his schtick. A weird contrast to electric vehicles. He has far too much power for a fringe character and reminds me of the all-the-time guy in the NY court room. The big/dangerous problem with them is that they have the constant internet megaphone and their stuff starts to seem normal to some younger (and older too) people, after a while. It isn’t.

My biggest challenge in not throwing page hits to x are the sports highlights, which I patiently just go over to YT for.

iPadFan2010

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2015
Thorp WI
Social media works mostly because it's something people can do that is free. The minute you charge for it, the minute it's over for most people and they will find another free place to go to.

zoomp

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
16 year user here. It’s amazing how Musk has destroid it. Lately he has been campaining against my country and allning himself to the worst in South America. It’s appaling to say the least.

I have to check bluesky.

Reactions: Natas1000

Darren.h

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2023
GREAT!!! That's when we all quit X!!

Elon deserves it. for canning 10 percent of its workforce at Tesla in the name of higher profits and less workers

iPay

macrumors regular
May 25, 2023
1713270918559.png

So, Elon is going to tax the bots and leave us humans alone, right? or is it the other way round?

MRMSFC

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2023
Yeah, I wonder from where all those comments come from:
  • “It’s like he wants it to fail!”
  • “People use Twitter?”
  • “Musk is a chump”
  • “Musk is broke”
  • “Twitter is done”
  • “People left Twitter”
  • (And many hundreds more clones of the above)
Yet it seems still there, it seems still ongoing.
Do people have some information as to how they arrived to the comment and/or conclusion?

It’s been 2 full years since Twitter got acquired and it was supposed to fail the day after that: 2 years minus one day ago according to the internet.

Maybe the quality has gone down, I don’t really use Twitter myself so it looks the same to me, but is it going really failing and going bankrupt? People really left?
And left to where? (Social junkies/addicts hardly leave from the space itself)
Simple: social media junkies have multiple social media accounts.

They would simply just stop using twitter and spend more time on the others.

carswell

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2023
It's not really about kicking bots off the platform (lots already paid for the worthless blue check). It is a little bit about generating a small income stream and a lot about Elmo's getting his grubby little hands on lots and lots of users' credit card and contact information.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I've long advocated for increasing the cost of sending mail in the US, to reduce the spam we receive via that.

It's my understanding that physical spam mail is borderline non-existant in other countries vs the US, where the cost of sending mail is about 10x higher.

Some balance will be struck by charging to post messages on X:
1. Spammers unwilling to pay will be blocked for 3 months.
2. I suspect it'll be fairly easy to monitor how much new accounts log in and view stuff. Verify that their viewing behavior is consistent with a normal user and not a future spam account.
3. Increased revenue means more resources to address spam.

jklemm7474

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2021

Social media platform X (formerly Twitter) will soon begin charging new users "a small fee" for posting content and liking, replying, and bookmarking tweets, according to Elon Musk.

X-twitter-logo.jpg

X Daily News, a feed that posts X updates, today noticed that text strings on the website have been updated to mention a small annual fee that new users will need to pay in order to access the social network.

Musk said in response that the fee for new users is "the only way to curb the relentless onslaught of bots."

The fee has previously been tested in New Zealand and the Philippines, and Musk says that it is applicable only to those who are new to Twitter. When a new user signs up, the user will need to pay the fee, or wait for three months to be able to engage on the network. The updated language on the Twitter site:

The text does not mention being able to post for free after three months, but Musk confirmed that "write actions" would be free after that time period.

It is unclear how the policy will stop spam accounts and bots, as spammers will be able to pay the fee or simply create multiple accounts and wait to be able to post. Regular users, meanwhile, could be discouraged from using X due to the extra step and the fact that other social networks are free.

The fee appears to be around $1, as it costs $1.75 NZD in New Zealand. The pay-for-access policy has not yet been implemented outside of New Zealand and the Philippines.

Musk said that fake accounts also use up "the available namespace" limiting the "good handles." X has freed up over a million usernames so far, and will "free up tens of millions in the coming weeks."

Article Link: X May Charge New Users a 'Small Fee' to Post, Like and Reply
Truly the actions of someone who has fallen in love with the smell of their own bad ideas.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Just read an interesting article about the death of the internet - the idea that human generated material on the web is being replaced by material created by bots. I think this is hyperbole but at some point it might very well come true. As for X, well I am ex-X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.